PDA

View Full Version : Question about IU recruit

DC Muskie
02-14-2008, 02:48 PM
We have an unused scholarship right?

Maybe I'm just picking this guy out of the blue, but I thought the school he attended Book might know...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/kevin_armstrong/02/14/indiana.recruit/index.html

94GRAD
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I believe all the scholarships are taken. The only thing we can hope for is for Bronson to leave.

DC Muskie
02-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Hmmm. Okay. I thought we we under the limit, but I guess McLean, and Taylor take the remaining ones.

Muskie
03-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I believe all the scholarships are taken. The only thing we can hope for is for Bronson to leave.

Or Graves...

BlueGuy
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm usually not the guy to do this but.... I hate to see you guys suggesting for current players to leave to open a scholarship up.

xavierj
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
There are rumors on the IU board that former target Jordan Crawford has told people he wants to transfer to Xavier next year and that he is done at IU.

BBC 08
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
There are rumors on the IU board that former target Jordan Crawford has told people he wants to transfer to Xavier next year and that he is done at IU.

Have links to this?

AviatorX
03-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Have links to this?

Would be appreciated for sure. Is Andrew Taylor good enough to play at this level? I have heard he isn't if so, why let him take up a scholarship?

AviatorX
03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I guess this would be considered a rumor from the IU board...

http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?highlight=crawford+xavier&sid=942&fid=726&tid=112069132&mid=112069132

Not sure if there is anything behind it, but I have thought to myself what if we had signed Crawford and Jackson instead of waiting on Teague (who is having a stellar season to the coaching staffs credit for wanting him bad).

xu95
03-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Crawford is the one that got away. He was begging to come to Xavier last year, but we wanted to see how the Teague soap opera would work out.

xu95

xavierdude
03-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Isn't he a shooting guard? do we need another shooting guard? That would really suck for jackson, redford, walsh, etc...

Would Miller take him because of the all the bells and whistles that is tied with his name and school? Or would he take him because he could start over jackson, walsh, redford, etc? This concerns me. While crawford is good, it could hurt team relations.

But then again, transferring rules would give jackson and company a whole year to prove that they should be starters (because crawford would sit out a season)

waggy
03-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I haven't read the links, but maybe Crawford wanting to come to X has nothing to do with playing time...

DC Muskie
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Can I get a breakdown on scholarships for next season?

Here's what I got:

Raymond
Anderson
Brown
Graves
Jackson
Love
Bronson
McClean
Taylor
Frease
Walsh
Lyons
Redford

Do I have that correct? That's 13. Is that the limit?

waggy
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Would he count against the scholarship limit if he's ineligible?

Muskie
03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes, at least i think so waggy. Otherwise he'd have to pay his own way during the "transfer" year.

Let me be clear, I'm not advocating that Bronson or Graves should leave. I'm just pointing out that both are seemingly buried on the bench when it comes to minutes.

DC Muskie
03-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Let me be clear, I'm not advocating that Bronson or Graves should leave. I'm just pointing out that both are seemingly buried on the bench when it comes to minutes.

Graves is buried? He's our 9th guy playing his first full season of basketball. He'll get a ton more time next season.

xu95
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Isn't he a shooting guard? do we need another shooting guard? That would really suck for jackson, redford, walsh, etc...

Would Miller take him because of the all the bells and whistles that is tied with his name and school? Or would he take him because he could start over jackson, walsh, redford, etc? This concerns me. While crawford is good, it could hurt team relations.

But then again, transferring rules would give jackson and company a whole year to prove that they should be starters (because crawford would sit out a season)

He is a shooting guard at IU because of Bassett. He was a PG in high school and X was recruiting him as a PG.

xu95

AviatorX
03-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Is Taylor a full ride or what?

dc_x
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Is Taylor a full ride or what?

Yes

Why is there a minimum length to messages on this board?

DC Muskie
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM

It's weird. You can't write just one word.

Juice
03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Could X give him some other type of aid financially (academic or whatever) his transfer year and then give him a scholarship when one opened up the next year?

DC Muskie
03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Could X give him some other type of aid financially (academic or whatever) his transfer year and then give him a scholarship when one opened up the next year?

I think that's against the rules. Not sure though.

Muskie
03-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes

To keep people from spamming the boards.

JAX 3758
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Did anyone else notice that Teague was the leading scorer for Wake yesterday in their first round lost in the ACC tourny? He dropped 15 and looked good doing it. Wish we could have got him, he looks like he is going to be one hell of a player.

Anyway, If any of these crawford rumors are true, I think we should just use bronson's scholarship to make room for him. Bronson is just the project that is never going to work out. Especially with Love getting better everyday. Also, you have to factor in that with K Frease comming in next year, along with Mclean being eligable, we are going to be so deep at the post. And how could I forget Dbrown?????

I mean to me, crawford seemes to be a perfect fit. He can move back to his natural position at the 1 and play it until lyons is ready to take over full time. He would also have alot of expierence at playing the 2 due to the fact that he had to this year with basset running the point for IU. This way we would actually have 3 guards (lyons, Jackson, and crawford) who could all either play the 1 or 2. This would also allow Jackson to move to the 2 most of time, which is what I believe is his best position anyway. From his high school resume (top 10 all time in OHSSA scoring) he seems to be more of a scorer then a facillatator of the offense.

Once again, just my opinion

American X
03-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Anyway, If any of these crawford rumors are true, I think we should just use bronson's scholarship to make room for him. Bronson is just the project that is never going to work out.

Whoa. Slow way down.

A player makes a commitment to Xavier, Xavier makes a commitment to that player. We do not just discard players in such a manner (or at least I hope we do not).

Plus, that is rather declarative on Bronson. He might disagree that he has no contributions to make in his remaining time.

DC Muskie
03-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Something I wish all fans will realize...we are never going to play the entire bench. There will always be two or three guys that sit with the walk-ons. If someone leaves, someone else takes his spot as the guy who never plays.

I would argue that Bronson probably gives us a great guy to practice against. I'm sure he would love to play, but that is his role. And it's an important one.

JAX 3758
03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Something I wish all fans will realize...we are never going to play the entire bench. There will always be two or three guys that sit with the walk-ons. If someone leaves, someone else takes his spot as the guy who never plays.

I would argue that Bronson probably gives us a great guy to practice against. I'm sure he would love to play, but that is his role. And it's an important one.

I understand how college basketball works...All I am saying is dont tell me that if you have the chance to get a player with the skill set that crawford has, we shouldnt jump at that opportunity. I am sure bronson is a great guy and all I just dont feel like he will be able to cnotribute to this team like Crawford could. Even if he is a great practice player

DC Muskie
03-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I understand how college basketball works...All I am saying is dont tell me that if you have the chance to get a player with the skill set that crawford has, we shouldnt jump at that opportunity. I am sure bronson is a great guy and all I just dont feel like he will be able to cnotribute to this team like Crawford could. Even if he is a great practice player

Well then you just wasted a ship on one of the three guards you brought in, or the two others guards you have here. All I'm saying is someone is sitting. For someone else to say in a few years, "Hey we might be able to get so-and-so, we should let whats-his-name go because he won't contribute like so-and-so."

That's a great analogy I just made by the way.

xu95
03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Plus Crawford would have to sit next year, so Lyons would still be the starting PG. Crawford does nothing for us now.

xu95