PDA

View Full Version : most beautiful campus

Muskie1000
02-22-2011, 12:19 PM
So my husband's cousin came down this weekend to get a tour of UC's campus. (I know, I know). During the tour, they informed her that UC was in Forbes magazine as one of the most beautiful campuses. Really? Is that the same place that our Dance Team is nationally ranked? To say the least, they weren't that impressed. But really, if I'm UC I'm talking about some of our good programs... I would never try to fly that comment... especially this time of year.

Muskiefornia
02-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I've seen the article it's there. UC has some nice amazing buildings (too bad for me not the law building). Unfortunately for what really matters it's just not 5/3 or Nippert.

LutherRackleyRulez
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Here's link to Forbes list....The World's Most Beautiful College Campuses

uc is included.....

IMHO: architecture --- kewl....beauty --- No F'ing Way!!!

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/31/beautiful-campuses-lifestyle-education-colleges-10-university-architecture_slide.html

TPH2011
02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Xavier ranks 1st in the country for best urban landscaping

Blue Blooded-05
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
So my husband's cousin came down this weekend to get a tour of UC's campus. (I know, I know). During the tour, they informed her that UC was in Forbes magazine as one of the most beautiful campuses. Really? Is that the same place that our Dance Team is nationally ranked? To say the least, they weren't that impressed. But really, if I'm UC I'm talking about some of our good programs... I would never try to fly that comment... especially this time of year.

You earned yourself a Rep with that one... Well done!

ballyhoohoo
02-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I hate to admit it, but as for the midwest, IU Blooming is a beautiful campus

Buck Futler
02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Being from Indy, I have visited IU time and time again to see friends and family. I have never been impressed with it. Maybe because it's just SO BIG. They do have gorgeous autumn foliage that spoils the Hoosier students from August to November, also a pretty cool little "strip" you could say with bars, restaurants, stores, and other things that I am entirely jealous of. Then again, that comes with the whole "lots of kids, lots of fun" lifestyle I guess.

IU is okay, but not really for me.

Kahns Krazy
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
That list is dumb. I might add it to my pet peeves list.

Under 99.9% of the world population's definition of beautiful campus, UC doesn't get past the first glance. They have some sort of thing going where they act like having no two buildings look alike is actually a thing. Fine, whatever. They also have giant parking garages right in the middle of the campus, some of the nastiest looking dorms I've ever seen, and damn near zero trees on campus.

A better title for that list would have been "10 campuses the author finds interesting" or "10 campuses with hidden beauty" or "are taxes too low".

CinciX12
02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
UC's campus is full of urine, homeless people, and poor dental care. F them and F anyone who went there that isn't smart enough to become a Xavier fan post graduation.

JimmyTwoTimes37
02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
In regards to the US, I understand why Stanford was on there. Surprised UCLA, University of Washington, and Cal aren't on there.

TPH2011
02-22-2011, 01:36 PM

I'm sure UC's "beautiful" campus is a huge selling point for basektball recruits. Yancy Gates fell in love with the tall buildings and parking garages.

coasterville95
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
UC is such a hodge podge - one one end you have the old quad with the classic style buildings, then as you mentioned every expansion building is a whole new architectural style. NEw Tangeman is modern I do admit it blends in with the new main street concept.

Nippert is on that old classic style, but it butts up against the modern lindner center.

The three big dorms on the east side of campus, and 5/3rd arena, and the parking garage by those three dorms are butt ugly. The new campus green is nice, Varisty Village is nice. There are parts of that campus that I'd say are nice to look at, but as a whole the thing is a mess.

MADXSTER
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Everyone I've talked to who has been to South Carolina's tells me it's absolutely beautiful.

CinciX12
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
WHOA WHOA WHOA. I didn't read the word 'world'. Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? This is an absolute travesty.

Titanxman04
02-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Kenyon College is simply gorgeous. I used to attend a summer retreat throughout high school there, and I can say that I absolutely loved that campus. The "upside-down tree" in it's center was always a popular hang out amongst us high schoolers. We loved it so much, that a band of mine that I was in back in the day, we called ourselves Gaskin Ave, after the street that ran through campus.

As for other beautiful campuses that are far nicer than UC, I would have to include Notre Dame and Vanderbilt. Both schools are absolutely stunning to walk through, with a lot going on. ND has some gorgeous golf courses and the buildings, greenspaces, and the overall history of the university and it's grounds are stunning. I still say there's nothing like going down Route 41 (?) and coming up onto the campus on your right, only to see the Dome in the distance. Beautiful.

Vanderbilt has some stunning brick buildings and just beautiful landscape. I spent a little time on campus and plan on going back, since the girlfriend's sister went there. Nashville is also just an awesome city - even if BBC08 lives there. I had one of the best times ever on New Years in Nashville and would love to go back. Hell, I'd love to settle there if it weren't so far away from my folks, Notre Dame (plan on going to some football games every year thanks to the lady being an alum), and obviously X.

kyxu
02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
In regards to the US, I understand why Stanford was on there. Surprised UCLA, University of Washington, and Cal aren't on there.

Cal-Berkeley is the nicest campus I've ever visited. Very green. Towering redwoods and a football stadium that's built into the side of a freaking mountain. Very nice college town, but a little too many hippies.

I was very unimpressed with Stanford (which made that Forbes list), but that's just my own personal preference.

West is Best
02-22-2011, 02:08 PM
my top 5 are:
1) UC Berkeley
2) Oregon
3) Pepperdine
4) Notre Dame
5) U. Chicago

Kansas has a very underrated campus. I agree with KYXU on Stanford, it's pretty, but its just too big. Not sure how UC can end up on any list... the greenspace is poorly designed.

xudash
02-22-2011, 02:25 PM

UCLA in particular. It's pretty hard to knock Westwood.

They're too stoned in Berkeley to care, and to hyper from coffee in Seattle to submit an entry form to Forbes.

Smooth
02-22-2011, 04:31 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sMPAG5YizJc/Sgr2-LhxekI/AAAAAAAAEUA/oP3kvF7RxEU/s400/asu%2Bgirls.jpg

AviatorX
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
I go to IU. Definitely a very cool campus, much more "beautiful" than UC.

Blue Blooded-05
02-22-2011, 05:08 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sMPAG5YizJc/Sgr2-LhxekI/AAAAAAAAEUA/oP3kvF7RxEU/s400/asu%2Bgirls.jpg

Dude... Arizona State is the most rediculously beautiful campus I've ever been to... and the buildings are nice too.

The closest I ever came to transferring from Xavier was during my 3 day bender... err, trip out to ASU my Sophmore year. There was seriously a limitless quantity of hot/blond/tan/drunk cheerleader types there. It was rediculous.

spazzrico
02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Everyone I've talked to who has been to South Carolina's tells me it's absolutely beautiful.

Did graduate school there. It is very nice actually. It kind of reminds me of Miami U (my other grad degree) in a way, but with more southern styling. Every season has at least something blooming, but for me the best was summer hydrangea season.

ATL Muskie
02-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Maybe it's because I live in SEC country, but I'm partial to the campuses around here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eXQh6Qsh7Z8/SumzyKJBeAI/AAAAAAAABnE/QwIrnSeYz9I/s400/lsubeaters.jpg

http://www.takeyourskirtofftombrady.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/dog_php.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-m6kTn4QewA/RuBZgy85_jI/AAAAAAAAAMo/hPqeUS_pqoI/s320/high+beams.jpg

http://leaderofthepac.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/florida-gators-fans-1.jpg

DC Muskie
02-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Any list that puts UC and Oxford in the same category is like putting Five Guys on any Top Ten Burger lists in Cincinnati.

It's just flat out laughable.

Titanxman04
02-22-2011, 08:02 PM
maybe it's because i live in sec country, but i'm partial to the campuses around here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_exqh6qsh7z8/sumzykjbeai/aaaaaaaabne/qwirnseyz9i/s400/lsubeaters.jpg

http://www.takeyourskirtofftombrady.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/dog_php.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-m6ktn4qewa/rubzgy85_ji/aaaaaaaaamo/hpqeus_pqoi/s320/high+beams.jpg

http://leaderofthepac.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/florida-gators-fans-1.jpg

yowza!

xu_fan
02-22-2011, 08:28 PM

I went to Washington for the womens NCAA tourney a few years back and I thought their campus was beautiful. Surprised they're not on the list!

GuyFawkes38
02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
I occasionally used the UC library while at X.

I was honestly impressed. Lots of modern, strange architecture, which I like.

On the other hand, it's definitely not beautiful or graceful. The campus felt imposing and cold. I definitely understand why lots of people don't like it.

Blueblob4life
02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
In terms of women, SEC schools and many Pac-10 schools are absolute tops.

As for greenery and views, I'm going to keep it in the Jesuit family with Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. I visited there this past weekend and despite the fact that it was 50, it was still sunny and amazing. Campus greenery is gorgeous, they have great views, everything is kinda quite, and the buildings are pretty.

Oh, and there's some attractive coeds. Boom!

ATL Muskie
02-22-2011, 09:48 PM
In the A-10, I've always liked Richmond's campus. Great setting, beautiful buildings..... very quiet and peaceful.

Emp
02-24-2011, 10:08 AM
In the A-10, I've always liked Richmond's campus. Great setting, beautiful buildings..... very quiet and peaceful.

Agree. Picture-perfect low-rise colonial redbrick/slate/stone/leaded-mullion buildings, plenty of space, well manicured, lots of forested buffers.

Blueblob4life
02-24-2011, 01:07 PM

What, are you telling me that UC wouldn't win "most beautiful campus" in the A-10???!?!!?! This is a travesty, an outrage, a.........some other big word.

Smooth
02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
What, are you telling me that UC wouldn't win "most beautiful campus" in the A-10???!?!!?! This is a travesty, an outrage, a(n).........some other big word.

Outravesty.

Blueblob4life
02-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Outravesty.

this. reps to you