PDA

View Full Version : New Court Designs

Titanxman04
02-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Props to Cheese and danaandvictory.com for showing me this link. Some sweet court designs ala Oregon's new floor.

http://donahuemediagroup.com/2011/02/new-court-designs/

http://donahuemediagroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Colorado.png
http://donahuemediagroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/UNLV.png

My two favorites right there.

Michigan Muskie
02-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Looks like Colorado is trying to wrap up the floor in aluminum foil like a burrito. Kind of fitting since Chipotle is based in Denver, right?

Juice
02-14-2011, 07:26 PM
The best one is definitely Louisville's KFC edition.

BandAid
02-14-2011, 07:31 PM
The best one is definitely Louisville's KFC edition.

That one is great. But I'm partial to the Nebraska court (for obvious reasons). Unfortunately neither Louisville nor Nebraska are Nike schools...

coasterville95
02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Very interesting floors if the NCAA is on board. I guess this means the "less is more" style that inspired our court is out of fad. . Give me the plain court designs with painted keys and I'm happy.

Cheesehead
02-14-2011, 09:12 PM
I hate them all, especially Oregon's.

The next thing you will see is a clear court w/ electronic message boards underneath the court and they will run ads on it during the entire game.

danaandvictory
02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
They are a joke, obviously.

I think they're quite clever.

coasterville95
02-14-2011, 09:43 PM
But Oregon didn't realize they were a joke.

The clear court with LCD panels under it could be interesting. Not only advertising, but you could move 3 Point line for men/women/NBA and not have to have the irrelevant lines showing. IF you were playing a tournament you could change the color of the keys to match that of the teams. I like it!

STL_XUfan
02-14-2011, 11:01 PM
The clear court with LCD panels under it could be interesting. Not only advertising, but you could move 3 Point line for men/women/NBA and not have to have the irrelevant lines showing. IF you were playing a tournament you could change the color of the keys to match that of the teams. I like it!

A reoccurring discussion at football games with my friends (after a few beers of course) is what the cost per the value of advertising would be to make the field out of a fiber optic type material where you could place the yellow line on the field for the fans at the game plus advertise on the half of the field that is not being played on.

We have come to a consensus that it would be to costly to effectively pull off on a football field. However, it could work on a basketball court.

smileyy
02-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Can we get a "Flagship, Bitches!" court?

Maybe the digital floor can update with the number of consecutive conference wins.

Juice
02-15-2011, 09:29 AM

The next thing you will see is a clear court w/ electronic message boards underneath the court and they will run ads on it during the entire game.

A lot of coached have complained about it. There isn't a half court line on theirs. I also watched their first game on it and the glare was awful, it looked bad on TV.

Ledgewood
02-15-2011, 10:15 AM
A reoccurring discussion at football games with my friends (after a few beers of course) is what the cost per the value of advertising would be to make the field out of a fiber optic type material where you could place the yellow line on the field for the fans at the game plus advertise on the half of the field that is not being played on.

We have come to a consensus that it would be to costly to effectively pull off on a football field. However, it could work on a basketball court.

I thought that this was in serious develpoment. I am PRETTY sure I read in a Forbes like 3 years ago that they were close to experimenting with this stuff in preseason games or something. Am I nuts? I think it was Art Modell that was funding this.

Pete Delkus
02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I wonder if the artist could draw the douchebags and crack needles for Dayton.

Coach: "Where are we taking the ball out?"
Ref: "Far-side douchebag"

Blue Blooded-05
02-15-2011, 11:58 AM

I don't get the animosity towards Oregon for being on the cutting edge of trends in college sports. In terms of football (the real money maker for schools with both sports) it was GENIUS!! The school's transformed itself from a hippy institution in the back woods of tree hugging Oregon to the epicenter of trendiness and their results have flourished ever since.

Need proof? Oregon started with their "new age" designs in the 1998 season. However, they really began ramping up the combinations in the 2004 season. Now, click on this link and tell me if you notice a trend post-1998 and then again post-2004... http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/or.shtml

Back away from sports for a moment...
...I don't understand the mentality of people who disregard the new school. It's almost as if when people get to a certain age, they feel like they're selling out their generation by embracing the new generation's ideas. The WWII generation disregarded the Baby Boomers (that "personal computer" will never catch on!)... the Baby Boomers disregarded Gen-X (who would pay $5 for a latte?!)and Gen-X is disregarding Millennials (twitter? it's just a trend!)...

Back to sports....
...Not embracing the new school leads to a cash cow program. That's fine if you're Duke basketball or Ohio State football. But if you're more upstart on the national scene, like Xavier, we could absolutely use the "cool points" to our advantage in appealing to recruits. No matter how stupid the new trend may be (Oregon's court/uniforms, for example); unless you're 6-7 and can shoot the trey; your opinion doesn't count!

Bottom line, if crazy court designs are the "next thing"... I want in!

ATL Muskie
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
My sources tell me this is the proposed new floor for The Shoe:

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0810/prison-prison-soap-floor-ackbar-demotivational-poster-1224006117.jpg

SixFig
02-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Add some watermelon, some urban decay and sprinkle in a few traffic cones and VOILA: Dayton!

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3301/udcourt.jpg

Cheesehead
02-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't get the animosity towards Oregon for being on the cutting edge of trends in college sports. In terms of football (the real money maker for schools with both sports) it was GENIUS!! The school's transformed itself from a hippy institution in the back woods of tree hugging Oregon to the epicenter of trendiness and their results have flourished ever since.

Need proof? Oregon started with their "new age" designs in the 1998 season. However, they really began ramping up the combinations in the 2004 season. Now, click on this link and tell me if you notice a trend post-1998 and then again post-2004... http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/or.shtml

Back away from sports for a moment...
...I don't understand the mentality of people who disregard the new school. It's almost as if when people get to a certain age, they feel like they're selling out their generation by embracing the new generation's ideas. The WWII generation disregarded the Baby Boomers (that "personal computer" will never catch on!)... the Baby Boomers disregarded Gen-X (who would pay $5 for a latte?!)and Gen-X is disregarding Millennials (twitter? it's just a trend!)...

Back to sports....
...Not embracing the new school leads to a cash cow program. That's fine if you're Duke basketball or Ohio State football. But if you're more upstart on the national scene, like Xavier, we could absolutely use the "cool points" to our advantage in appealing to recruits. No matter how stupid the new trend may be (Oregon's court/uniforms, for example); unless you're 6-7 and can shoot the trey; your opinion doesn't count!

Bottom line, if crazy court designs are the "next thing"... I want in!

Using your logic, then your opinion doesn't count either. Just because it's "cutting edge" and draws national attention, doesn't meant that Oregon's court isn't ugly as hell.

Cheesehead
02-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Add some watermelon, some urban decay and sprinkle in a few traffic cones and VOILA: Dayton!

Ok, I actually like this Court.

PM Thor
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Using your logic, then your opinion doesn't count either. Just because it's "cutting edge" and draws national attention, doesn't meant that Oregon's court isn't ugly as hell.

Plus, there is a fine line between "cutting edge" and "completely over the top stupid". I think Oregon has jumped the shark on this, it was pretty interesting when they had 4 different football unis, but now? They've lost their minds. They are the Huggy Bear of college programs now. Totally overboard.

I HATE dayton.

XULucho27
02-15-2011, 09:59 PM

This is why you will beat me tomorrow. Take your public reps, they're the only ones I can give you.

Titanxman04
02-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Yea Lucho.. Just when you thought you had a chance, and then SixFig pulls this out and reminds us all why he's the number 1 overall seed. I wish you luck my Puerto Rican friend, but the outlook isn't as promising.

Nicely done, SixFig. Public reps for you.

Blue Blooded-05
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM

You're right, my opinion counts just as much/little as the next guys.... For the record, I think the courts are ugly too. That's not the point. Fighting a changing trend is like fighting a rising tide....

Take the Fab 5 for example: The baggy uniforms, the black socks, the showboating... In 1992, that was new and they set the trend. Some fans loved it (everyone, say, 25 and under). Some fans hated it (everyone else). Whether you liked it or not, that was the trend and soon Michigan clothes started appearing in rap videos and the hip-hop/basketball era was born.

Take the Dennis Rodman example: The painted hair didn't catch on but the tattoos and me-first attitude sure did. Whether you liked it or not, that was the trend.

Whether we like crazy courts or not, if the next generation likes them, then we're going to have to put up with them. Might as well lead the trend in hopes of enhancing Xavier's image to the next generation of recruits.

Whether you like Oregon's uniforms or not, they're here to stay -- other schools are following suit (no pun intended) and even more are signing on for the Nike Pro Combat Unis.

Whether you like Lady Gaga or not, she's on pace to become a billionaire.

I don't care if the next trend is crazy courts or neon pink shoes... Whatever it is, I want in.

Muskie1000
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
I wonder if the artist could draw the douchebags and crack needles for Dayton.

Coach: "Where are we taking the ball out?"
Ref: "Far-side douchebag"

When we play Dayton we can have the presidents on the floor on the other side to remind them how long its been.

SixFig
02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
UC

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4855/uccourt.jpg

QueensbridgeMF
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I kind of like the fake Colorado court design actually, and maybe the Miami one? THe rest are just wacky.

LadyMuskie
02-16-2011, 01:52 PM
You're right, my opinion counts just as much/little as the next guys.... For the record, I think the courts are ugly too. That's not the point. Fighting a changing trend is like fighting a rising tide....

Take the Fab 5 for example: The baggy uniforms, the black socks, the showboating... In 1992, that was new and they set the trend. Some fans loved it (everyone, say, 25 and under). Some fans hated it (everyone else). Whether you liked it or not, that was the trend and soon Michigan clothes started appearing in rap videos and the hip-hop/basketball era was born.

Take the Dennis Rodman example: The painted hair didn't catch on but the tattoos and me-first attitude sure did. Whether you liked it or not, that was the trend.

Whether we like crazy courts or not, if the next generation likes them, then we're going to have to put up with them. Might as well lead the trend in hopes of enhancing Xavier's image to the next generation of recruits.

Whether you like Oregon's uniforms or not, they're here to stay -- other schools are following suit (no pun intended) and even more are signing on for the Nike Pro Combat Unis.

Whether you like Lady Gaga or not, she's on pace to become a billionaire.

I don't care if the next trend is crazy courts or neon pink shoes... Whatever it is, I want in.

No offense, but you sound like a sheep person. Just following the flock wherever it leads. If someone decides that the next new trend is to jump off a bridge, are you going to do that too? There are far more trends that crash and burn then make a lasting impact. You probably thought Hammer pants were the way to go back in 1990, but now all anyone does is make fun of those. How about bell bottom pants or the fade or artificial turf? Just because some people think something is wonderful and exciting, doesn't mean that it is or that we should all just sit back and proclaim how fantastic it is so that we can appear to be cool while sacrificing our actual beliefs.

Honestly, I'd rather have individuals who want to buck the trend, be their own person and create their own trend surround me than people who just want to do whatever is "cool" right now. I'd much rather be a trendsetter or at least have my own ideas and principles that I believe in, then just constantly chase whatever latest fad is on the market at the time.

Blue Blooded-05
02-16-2011, 03:54 PM
No offense, but you sound like a sheep person. Just following the flock wherever it leads. If someone decides that the next new trend is to jump off a bridge, are you going to do that too?

None taken.

Now... As Samuel L. Jackson says in Pulp Fiction, "Please allow me to retort..."

I presume that is your child in your avitar. They're really adorable at that age. I have a nephew that age and I spoil him like crazy... Anyways... At some point in the near distant future your child is going to be away from mom's protective wing and offored a joint and/or a beer. When that day comes and you sit your rebellious teenager down for a talk... I assure you the "jump off a bridge" line will be just as ineffective for your child as it was for us when we were teenagers.

However... We're not talking about anything as serious as teen drugs here. We're talking about the essence of Capitalism:
(1) Spotting a trend (2) Meeting demand.

Examples:
- McDonalds, after the documentry "Super Size Me," completely revamped their menu and added salads for the adults and apple slices (in place of fries) for children. Is this playing to a trend? Absolutely. Are they selling out their Big Mac loving customers and "jumping off a bridge?" You may say yes. I would say this is Capitalism.

- AT&T was the first cellphone company that spotted and made money off the texting trend by introducing "Rollover Minutes" and text-centered packages. Is this playing to a trend? Absolutely. Are they selling out their talk-only customers and "jumping off a bridge?" You may say yes. I would say this is Capitalism.

- Nintendo, after hearing feedback that their consols lead to isolation and atrophy, created the Wii: an interactive experience that could be shared by the whole family. Is this playing to a trend? Absolutely. Are they selling out their N64 customers and "jumping off a bridge?" You may say yes. I would say this is Capitalism.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not talking about changing the fundamentals of who we are and selling our soul. If the new trend is carrying a loaded weapon, I sure as hell hope we buck it. However, if it's something innocuous like court design and/or shoe color (that "old farts" aren't going to like anyways)... I say embrace it! Is this playing to a trend? Absolutely. Will we be selling out our devoted alumni and "jumping off a bridge?" You may say yes. I would say this is Capitalism.

LadyMuskie
02-16-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry, but I pretty much disagree with everything you wrote. I admit to it being some time since I took my marketing classes at X, but my friends who work in the industry certainly don't spot trends - they try to create them. The Wii wasn't developed because there was a trend. It was developed because there was a gap to be filled and Nintendo took a risk innovating something not seen before. Nintendo created that trend. McDonalds sold salads long before Super Size Me came along, and diversifying their menu meant they broadened their customer base and therefore made more money.

If everyone just follows trends, then no one innovates. If no one ever innovated then we wouldn't be on this message board. The essence of capitalism is MAKING MONEY. Those who make the most money are those who innovate and create a trend - not follow it. It seems that you think that in order to do successful business you have to fold yourself or your brand in to a nice neat package that someone else has already created. Most good business people will tell you that the best way to do business is to create something that didn't already exist and then make people think they can't live without whatever it is you are offering them.

Xavier Basketball is great because we do things the "Xavier Way", not the UC way or the Oregon way or the Duke way. Xavier is constantly mentioned as the school who found a way to work around being a small private school and who can still compete on the highest levels with the big state schools, and we did it without following the trend of breaking rules, hiring girls to sleep with recruits, and paying off parents of potential students. Xavier Basketball is an innovative program, and the Xavier Way is what is sold to recruits when they come here. Our program prides itself on being the stand out from the crowd school who has made a big impact in a short time with not a lot of resources. Now, other schools want to mimic what we've created here because they see what a successful program we have.

If you want to follow trends because you don't want to be left out, then so be it. But capitalism, among other things, thrives because people want to be ahead of the trend not in the middle of it.

Blue Blooded-05
02-16-2011, 08:30 PM
LM... You actually agreed with me. Innovation is precisely what I'm advocating!

Maybe it'll help if I break down the history of this topic:
- Xavier is neither the leader nor the follower.
- Nike innovates. This makes them "the leader"
- The kids consume. I guess this makes them "the followers" (your words, not mine)
- Nike promotes new and innovative concepts to schools. To date it's been shoes and uniforms. At some point this will expand to other areas-- basketball courts was used in this example.
- The kids like them and are therefore Nike's target market.
- Adults are not Nike's target market (in this area) Nike doesn't care whether you think their concept is ugly.
- Xavier either does or does not sign a contract. By signing it, that makes them innovative as they are leading the trend (note, Nike does not issue contracts on outdated concepts)
- Most people said they thought it was ugly. I brought up the counter point that I can live with what I think is ugly, so long as recruits like them and X gets some nice exposure.

I'm not sure what you're ethically opposed to or why you turned this into a morality/marketing lesson. For the record, I'm glad Xavier girls don't sleep with recruits. If they did, we'd be in last place (zing!)

Ps... Companies like Nintendo don't roll out innovation and hope for the best. They test consumer demand through, among other things, test groups.

Cheesehead
02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Since there are 347 Division I basketball teams, I don't think it's a trend.

...and it's still ugly.