PDA

View Full Version : Just Got My Tickets!! 2011 Concert Thread

Nigel Tufnel
02-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Purchased a couple of tickets to a great concert today. Pretty sure the venue sold its allotted pre-sale tickets within 5 minutes. Friday, April 22 at UIC Pavilion. Arcade Fire and The National. :eek: Should be an incredible show. Easter weekend in Chicago....the wife is going to her sister's bachelorette party in Vegas that weekend, so it will be an NBA weekend. Can't friggin' wait!!

Anyone else got plans to attend this show or any other great shows this year?

Kahns Krazy
02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
She went with the "sister's bachelorette" story? I told her not to do that...

vee4xu
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Social Distortion, May 10 Lifestyles Community Center, C-bus.

Been listening to them since about 1990. Gotta love Mike Ness.

Porkopolis
02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Social Distortion, May 10 Lifestyles Community Center, C-bus.

Been listening to them since about 1990. Gotta love Mike Ness.

They're coming to Bogarts here in Cincinnati, too. My wife loves them so I'll probably pick up a pair of tickets.

Nigel Tufnel
02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
She went with the "sister's bachelorette" story? I told her not to do that...

Not surprised in the least...she doesn't listen to a word I say either. :D

xu drew
02-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Has anybody ever seen Cake in concert? I'm intrigued by their concert at the Aranoff Center in May, but haven't heard anything about their live performances.

vee4xu
02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
They're coming to Bogarts here in Cincinnati, too. My wife loves them so I'll probably pick up a pair of tickets.

Wow, your wife must be one rockin' momma there pork. They really are a good concert. Very high energy.

As for Arcade Fire and the National. I have listened to quite a bit of both's work. Also, heard National live for an hour each day for a week on Sirrius/XMU. They are good, but I can't seem to really get into them enough to shell out dough to go and see them. On the other hand, I have been toying with going to see Arcade Fire for some time, so that 2-fer probably is enough to throw in the National as well.

Cincypunk.org
02-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Arcade Fire's show in Columbus in 2007 was one of THE best shows I have ever seen and I'm jealous of those attending the Chicago show. Tix are expensive though! And the new album sucks horse shit IMO... Should be a great show though!

LutherRackleyRulez
02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I have had the great pleasure to have witnessed both A. Fire + the National

in very intimate settings --- both put on superb shows.

I'm HUGE fan of the National:

- Cincy based band.....St. X HS grad lead singer rocks!

- the band is very active in local Brooklyn indie music scene

- all are excellent musicians/craftsmen

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1_the-national.jpg

Nigel Tufnel
02-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Arcade Fire's show in Columbus in 2007 was one of THE best shows I have ever seen and I'm jealous of those attending the Chicago show. Tix are expensive though! And the new album sucks horse shit IMO... Should be a great show though!

With all the extra charges, a ticket ended up being $64. I would, actually have, paid $30 to see them each separately, so I didn't think it was that bad.

I agree with your sentiments on Arcade Fire's Columbus show in 2007...easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. The energy they bring was unlike anything I'd ever seen. And also agree that their new album is my least favorite...sounds a little too much like ABBA for my taste.

Two of my favorite bands playing the same show...can't beat that. Plus, I get to take a road trip to Chicago, which is one of my favorite cities. Should be an epic road trip.

danaandvictory
02-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Arcade Fire's show in Columbus in 2007 was one of THE best shows I have ever seen and I'm jealous of those attending the Chicago show.

I was there and it was outrageously good. It was also the first time I'd ever heard LCD Soundsystem -- I bought everything they'd put out the next day.

Saw The National four times last summer (I am friends-of-friends with most of the band) and the Arcade Fire debut The Suburbs at Lollapallooza -- that should be an awesome double-bill for those that can pull it off.

Cincypunk.org
02-06-2011, 03:04 PM
With all the extra charges, a ticket ended up being $64. I would, actually have, paid $30 to see them each separately, so I didn't think it was that bad.

I agree with your sentiments on Arcade Fire's Columbus show in 2007...easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. The energy they bring was unlike anything I'd ever seen. And also agree that their new album is my least favorite...sounds a little too much like ABBA for my taste.

Two of my favorite bands playing the same show...can't beat that. Plus, I get to take a road trip to Chicago, which is one of my favorite cities. Should be an epic road trip.

whoa! only $64... i was just being an ass and assuming all tix were $125 plus.

i really want to go to this, but i wont be able to.

LutherRackleyRulez
02-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Per Brooklyn Vegan....

The National playing an MTV taping at the Studio @ Webster Hall
(win tix) & other dates (like Coachella)

The National will be playing an MTV taping at The Studio at Webster Hall on Tuesday night (part of MTV's Live in NYC series). Unfortunately a few tickets just went on sale and sold right out at 10am for the lucky people who knew (I didn't realize they were going on sale at that time), had the password (conversation16), and could actually get one. The sort of good news for those who don't have a ticket is that they'll post the video of the show online on MTV.com on 2/21, and that I have a pair of tickets to give away.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/02/the_national_pl_5.html

BBC 08
02-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Just got tickets to see The Strokes in Madison Square Garden on April 1st with a fellow Xavier alum. Also seeing Queens of the Stone Age on March 20th at the Ryman and the Flaming Lips at the Ryman on May 18th.

Finally, seeing the Greenhornes, the Kills and Sleigh Bells all at different times in the coming couple months at Cannery Ballroom.

I can't go to Bonnaroo this year so this all is making up for it.

Nigel Tufnel
03-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Planned a family trip to visit the sister in law during the third weekend of June. Driving up early Friday morning an staying through Monday. Was surfing the internet yesterday and saw that, lo and behold, MMJ was playing in Chicago @ the Auditorium on the same Friday evening I will be in Chicago. Bought two tix today for the show 5 rows up in the front balcony section. Giggity.

April in Chicago I see Arcade Fire and The National.
June in Chicago I see My Morning Jacket.

I am happy.

nuts4xu
03-26-2011, 09:04 PM
My ticket to the Phish show in Cincy came this week in the mail. Hope to see these guys a few more times this summer in some other venues.

Haven't decided what other bands I will see, but I am Phishing in June!!

halcyon.days.of.Carter
03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I've got a busy schedule this week: Cut Copy at the 9:30 club on Tuesday and The Cave Singers at the Red Palace on Wednesday. If you haven't heard of either of these bands, then I suggest you give them a try.

Planning on catching Phish at Merriweather Post and The Roots picnic this summer as well. Should be a solid time.

Lamont Sanford
03-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Is Neil Sedaka touring this Summer?

(xeus wanted to know, but was afraid to ask.)

Thanks for any information.

Muskie
03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
My ticket to the Phish show in Cincy came this week in the mail. Hope to see these guys a few more times this summer in some other venues.

Haven't decided what other bands I will see, but I am Phishing in June!!

Color me shocked.

BBC 08
03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Since I'm going to be in NYC this Saturday (seeing the Strokes on Friday) I may be scalping tickets with my friends to see LCD Soundsystem's last show ever. I've come to terms with paying around $100 a ticket but I think it'll be worth it.

Muskie
03-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Debating going to see4 Umphrey's mcGee at White River State park in downtown indy on June 25

94GRAD
03-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Going to see the Legends of Hip-Hop (Salt-n-Pepa, Naughty by Nature, Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh) at the Cintas Center friday April 8th. Sitting in one of the suites.

nuts4xu
03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Debating going to see4 Umphrey's mcGee at White River State park in downtown indy on June 25

Love those guys too. Never seen them live.

Pluto
03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Just got $60 3 day passes for Lollapalooza Aug. 5-7 in Chicago. No official lineup yet but rumored Eminem, Muse & Foo Fighters as 3 of the headliners. Its the 20th anniversary so I am hoping they beef up their middle of the day sets from past years.

BBC 08
04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Strokes were beyond amazing on Friday. Also helped that Elvis Costello played a surprise three song set before the Strokes (Pump it Up, Radio Radio and Peace Love and Understanding). Elvis also came out and sang "Taken for a Fool" with the Strokes.

Hell of a concert.

BBC 08
04-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Just got my tickets to see Raekwon with Ghostface Killah rumored to be in attendance.

PMI
04-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Love those guys too. Never seen them live.

I've seen them a couple dozen times. They're well worth it.

Nigel Tufnel
05-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Well, Arcade Fire and The National were great in Chicago. UIC Pavilion wasn't the greatest venue and the concessions were clearly overwhelmed by the crowd, but it didn't take away from the music and atmosphere. Right now, Arcade Fire live is at the top of their game. Hard to imagine a better live show than them right now.

Anyone going to Music Hall next Sunday to see The National?

XULucho27
05-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Kenny Chesney and Billy Currington in Chicago on June 9th. In my opinion, it doesn't get better than an outdoor country concert in the summer. Very much looking forward to this show!

I'm also going to purchase a one day pass for Lolla, which day will depend on what the schedule ends up being. I'd like to see Muse, Coldplay, Eminem, Deadmau5, Damian Marley and to a lesser extent some of the smaller acts. Whichever night provides most of these people playing together will most likely be the one I buy a ticket to. I'm also not above paying a volunteer to let me in through a side gate (a feat accomplished by some friends of mine several times, just have to find the right person who is bored/does not care/does not take their job seriously, 20 per person bucks should do it).

BBC 08
10-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Resurrecting this thread from the dead. Tonight is the first of six concerts for me in October.

In order I have Arctic Monkeys, Childish Gambino, Das Racist, MMJ, Chromeo and then Pretty Lights. I would be going up to Bogarts for Odd Future on the 15th but I have a wedding that day.

Anyone else have some good concerts coming up?

mohr5150
10-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I know music is similar to politics when it comes to passion, but I tried listening to The National, and they depressed me. It was like listening to Moressey. If I wanted to be depressed, I'd stay at work. Give me some balls out hard rock to get my blood boiling!

Nigel Tufnel
10-05-2011, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=mohr5150;288756]I know music is similar to politics when it comes to passion, but I tried listening to The National, and they depressed me. QUOTE]

That's certainly an understandable opinion. I just kind of related to their music once I read the lyrics to a lot of their songs. I liken them to a musical Men's Magazine. Some of their songs are depressing, but a lot of them end with hope. I can just relate to the angst about growing up, relationships, responsibilities, having kids, dealing with people, etc. in their songs.

You want blood boiling, The National definitely isn't your bag of chips.

xu95
10-06-2011, 07:34 AM
I know music is similar to politics when it comes to passion, but I tried listening to The National, and they depressed me. It was like listening to Moressey. If I wanted to be depressed, I'd stay at work. Give me some balls out hard rock to get my blood boiling!

What? You aren't a "Girlfriend in a Coma" fan? Seriously though, I'm not sure why I liked the Smiths, but I did.

xu95

Pluto
10-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Just saw the Avett Brothers in Chicago last Friday. Wilco in Chicago in December will be a great show, playing the Opera House, the Riviera and the Vic. Saw all 5 of their residency shows here a couple years ago where they played their whole catalog.

Benxman
10-06-2011, 04:10 PM
OK all you rock & rollers, top this one. I have tickets to the Cincinnati Pops annual Christmas Concert! :) I was at the opener this year and they will have a tough time topping that performance.

--Can't take much R&R. Too much loud, high pitched, sounds (dare I say noise?) for my 'old' nervous system. :rolleyes:

Go Cincy Pops!
&
GO MUSKIES!

:sword:

coasterville95
10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I had forgotten about this thread, and when i saw the title it just showed up as "Just got my tickets!" and thought the season ticket sheets were out.

Anyway, - count me in as a Pops subscriber, have been for about 6 years now. I agree that they have their work cut out for them to top the season opener, but they usually put on great shows.

I also went to Paul McCartney and had a great night, and last night I went to Celtic Thunder at the Taft. (Also deprived TicketMaster of some of their insane service charges by buying tickets at the theatre)

As you may know, they just put about $3 million (I think) in restorations into the Taft. Theatre looks sharp in its new red and green color scheme. (apparently that was the original color scheme they restored it to) The CSO and CPO will be playing there in what the 2013-2014 season? I do have to wonder about how some of the more senior CSO/CPO patrons are going to get to the balcony without an elevator. (Or how they were able to do an extensive rehab to the theatre without putting in an elevator given ADA and all that)

Porkopolis
10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
The CSO and CPO will be playing there in what the 2013-2014 season?

That is correct. I'm kind of looking forward to it since I live right down the hill. If you haven't checked out the plans for Music Hall's renovation, I encourage you to do so. I don't know if they are publicly available yet but if they are you should check them out. An already grand facility is going to get even better!

vee4xu
10-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Went to see Yuck at the Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights last Friday. Good show! A good group from Akron called The May Company opened for them. On Oct. 17 I am going to see the Arctic Monkeys here in Columbus. The Smith Westerns are opening for them.

coasterville95
10-08-2011, 02:56 PM
I've only seen the article in the Enquirer.

Sounds like they plan on doing a lot: Improve the acoustics (I didn't even think they needed improving) by bringing the rear and side walls in and eliminating the 'dead zones' where people are seated under the balcony and gallery. Brining the stage out further into the auditorium by adding more life sections. (Yes, effectively eliminating what, 1,500 seats in the process)

Then, renovating the lobby by removing the glass doors so it wraps all the way across the front, remvoing the escalators and restoring the south hall grand staircase. Uncovering a lot of the bricked in windows, installing gardens in the former carriage ways, a new parking garage. Very ambitious.

But, removing 1,500 seats and installing new wider chairs, I don't envy the person that has to re-seat everybody. And that will be fresh off of having to try to map everybody's Music Hall seat to a comparable Taft Theatre seat, includding how to accomodate those that have balcony or gallery tickets in Music Hall that can't do stairs. (For the season at Taft, for Music Hall they did mention installing more elevators)