PDA

View Full Version : Tribute for Ken "Firehose" Akers

stjamesxu08
01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
I originally posted this in the "Prayers, once again..." thread but I think it deserves its own thread after giving it more thought...so here goes it:

any word or rumblings from the student section about whether they plan on having some kind of tribute for our fallen friend, Ken "Firehose" Akers???? I liked the idea on here about them all yelling in unison before the tip or whenever it goes quiet in the arena (because that was when he did his most yelling, and boy could you hear it...) "THEY CALL ME...FIREHOOOOOOOOSE!!!!" if anything every time we go to the line i think the entire section needs to yell "X'S UP!"

personally i don't think there is a more appropriate way to honor the man, the legend Ken "Firehose" Akers then to honor him during a basketball game, he loved all things Xavier....

I will always remember our good times Ken and you were a phenomenal friend. Driving around with you to get beer and then hanging out just to chat and drink some brews are some of my favorite memories with you.

However, I will always remember when you were a sophomore and I was just a lowly freshman, but you saw my passion for women's volleyball and you invited me and a fellow fan along for a road trip to Pittsburgh to cheer them on against Duquesne. We had dinner with the team after the game and we stayed in the hotel with one of the equipment managers. You slept in the tub with the comforter. That was just how you rolled. But I will always remember all three of us busting out in laughter as we drove through the Pittsburgh streets and I said "Dude, Pittsburgh, fix your streets!" because they were so bumpy and full of pot holes. We joked about that for years after it happened.

God I'm gonna miss you man!!!! You were taken too soon from this world. But only you and God will understand what was going on and why you had to leave, so I trust that you did what you had to do to end your pain, and I know that we will be reunited again soon! And I know that you will always be looking down on us and cheering the X-Men on from the great sports bar in the sky!!! Cheers my friend.

RIP Ken "Firehose" Akers

fraulein
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Some of my favorite memories of Ken:

- Senior Prom: Ken, Brent, my German exchange student, and I went together. We had a great time... Ken hadn't met my exchange student friend before prom, but he introduced himself to her as the "superbeast"... she was sooo confused!!

- Ken would always sing silly songs really loud and enthusiastically. One of my last memories of him was walking down Bardstown Road in Louisville... maybe a year ago.. or a little longer... and we were singing KING HENRY VII really loud while walking to a salsa club :)