PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

xu95
01-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Without pissing Kahns off, I am soliciting some advice for vacation this year. The wife and I would like to go somewhere on the east coast near the ocean. We have already done Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Jeckyll Island, and Amelia Island. We are hoping to find somewhere that has enough activities to keep a seven year old interested for a week.

xu95

xudash
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Without pissing Kahns off, I am soliciting some advice for vacation this year. The wife and I would like to go somewhere on the east coast near the ocean. We have already done Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Jeckyll Island, and Amelia Island. We are hoping to find somewhere that has enough activities to keep a seven year old interested for a week.

xu95

How did you like Amelia?

Have you considered Cape Cod or even up to Maine?

GoMuskies
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Boston/Cape Cod

JimmyTwoTimes37
01-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I've heard St Augustine is very nice.

You always have the Outer Banks too.

Or if you are into the dance scene, the Jersey Shore

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2009/12/jersey-shore-ratings.jpg

muskiefan82
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Corolla Beach, Outer Banks, N.C.

Kahns Krazy
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Time of year? Makes a big difference.

My family did Kiawah one year. That was nice. I think there's events for little people at the clubhouse, but I didn't really get into any of that.

If you have a bigger budget or are considering off peak times, I did a long weekend at Wild Dunes last year outside of Charleston. The resort was freaking outstanding, and there are all sorts of things for the kids to do. If you haven't done it and it's not a budget buster, I highly recommend it. We did 2 days in Charleston and 2 at Wild Dunes. With a 7 year old for a week, I'd probably do 2 in Charleston and 5 at Wild Dunes.

Muskie91
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Maine is outstanding. Stay in Bar Harbor or Southwest Harbor. The hiking is great fun for a 7 year old and quite a change from the HH, Myrtle experience.

bobbiemcgee
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/

American X
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
somewhere on the east coast near the ocean

Atlantic City March 11-13 (http://www.atlantic10.com/championships/m-baskbl-2011.html)

ballyhoohoo
01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Terre Haute is quite nice

bourbonman
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Northeast.

Cape Cod for beach
Boston for history - 7 YO would love Minuteman Park
Boston for big city
Boston for basball, even if you're not a huge Red Sox fan
Maine up to Bar Harbor
Stowe Vermont for mountain activies - my kids loved alpine slides, rock climbing, hiking, etc

Kahns Krazy
01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Northeast.

Cape Cod for beach
Boston for history - 7 YO would love Minuteman Park Boston for big city
Boston for basball, even if you're not a huge Red Sox fan
Maine up to Bar Harbor
Stowe Vermont for mountain activies - my kids loved alpine slides, rock climbing, hiking, etc

Boooo for bringing that up today of all days.

drudy23
01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Corolla Beach, Outer Banks, N.C.

I second this...very laid back, non-commercial beach town. The anti-Myrtle Beach...most beach houses are very large...might not be accommodating for a small family. You won't find any "chains" here....good local seafood and shops.

In fact, the area just to the North of Corolla is called Carova...it has no paved roads and you have to drive on the beach to get ot your house.

Most people that go here go in large groups of families/friends and rent beach houses for up to 20-25 people (but you can get smaller houses, but not that small). Everything you want and need in these houses....personal pool, beach access, game rooms, laundry, places to entertain, hot tubs, pool tables, foosball, etc, etc.

Although I've never been there, I've heard Kiawah Island is very nice also. It's expensive like Hilton Head.

muskiefan82
01-12-2011, 03:04 PM
I second this...very laid back, non-commercial beach town. The anti-Myrtle Beach...most beach houses are very large...might not be accommodating for a small family. You won't find any "chains" here....good local seafood and shops.

In fact, the area just to the North of Corolla is called Carova...it has no paved roads and you have to drive on the beach to get ot your house.

Most people that go here go in large groups of families/friends and rent beach houses for up to 20-25 people (but you can get smaller houses, but not that small). Everything you want and need in these houses....personal pool, beach access, game rooms, laundry, places to entertain, hot tubs, pool tables, foosball, etc, etc.

Although I've never been there, I've heard Kiawah Island is very nice also. It's expensive like Hilton Head.

Kiawah is nice, but not close to much for kids other than the beach and bike riding.

GuyFawkes38
01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I've heard that Cape Cod and Maine become packed with an absurd amount of tourists during summer. They are much closer to the major population centers of the northeast, of course.

bourbonman
01-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Boooo for bringing that up today of all days.

Kood Kacth Kahns Krazy. lucKy for me we KicKed their Kans.

boozehound
01-13-2011, 07:24 AM
I've heard that Cape Cod and Maine become packed with an absurd amount of tourists during summer. They are much closer to the major population centers of the northeast, of course.

It seems like everybody in Massachusetts has a place on the Cape that the spend all weekend, every weekend, at.

I don't know about Maine.

xu95
01-13-2011, 07:53 AM
How did you like Amelia?

Have you considered Cape Cod or even up to Maine?

My wife and I loved Amelia Island. THe Ritz Carlton there is probably one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in (outside of Vegas). Just not a lot for a youngster to do.

xu95

chico
01-13-2011, 08:11 AM
The Carolina's are very nice. We've gone to Topsail a couple of times and had fun. Our kids can play at the beach all day and don't need many any other activities, but if yours needs more then you may want to try somewhere else, though they do have a turtle rescue hospital there that the kids got a kick out of seeing.

If you're looking for a bunch of activities for kids there is the Ron Jon resort in Cocoa Beach. The resort is about 1/4 mile from the beach (you can walk it and they also have trams), but there are numerous activities for kids. They also have two pools - one regular pool and one with things for kids like a water slide and lazy river. Poolside bar for the adults. Also a big indoor play area so there's something to do if it's raining.

Kahns Krazy
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
My wife and I loved Amelia Island. THe Ritz Carlton there is probably one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in (outside of Vegas). Just not a lot for a youngster to do.

xu95

Check out Wild Dunes. It really looked like the kids there were having a good time, and there are activities all the time.

xu 89
01-13-2011, 10:46 AM
I'll vote with Kahn's and say Wild Dunes. We've been going there for years. We have 2 boys 8 and 6 now and they love it. Plenty to do and very "uncommercial". Fishing, swimming, crabing, waterpark nearby, Charleston, etc. We usually go the 2nd week of August which is the first week of the "fall season" so the rates are cheaper. It's quite a bit less crowded as well. Let me know if you need choose to go and need more info.

xu95
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Check out Wild Dunes. It really looked like the kids there were having a good time, and there are activities all the time.

I will definitely check it out. THank you.

Nigel Tufnel
01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I'll vote with Kahn's and say Wild Dunes. We've been going there for years. We have 2 boys 8 and 6 now and they love it. Plenty to do and very "uncommercial". Fishing, swimming, crabing, waterpark nearby, Charleston, etc. We usually go the 2nd week of August which is the first week of the "fall season" so the rates are cheaper. It's quite a bit less crowded as well. Let me know if you need choose to go and need more info.

Agree with the thumbs up on Wild Dunes. Went there two years ago with another family. We rented a house right on the ocean and the pools/pavilion were steps away. Basically walked down 3 deck stairs and we were at the pool. A couple more steps and there was the bar...we just put all our drinks on our house bill...maybe not the smartest and definitely not the cheapest way to go, but hey, its vacation.

Tons of activities for the kids to do (nightly outdoor children's movies shown) and the beach/ocean is great for kids. Small waves, warm water and very few to no jellyfish, which isn't always the case on the Atlantic. You can play golf at Wild Dunes...think they have 2 courses there. If you are going with a larger group, definitely get one of the houses right on the pavilion.

Also, go to Charleston..its beautiful and has a lot of neat historic spots. You'll also want to go to some of the restaurants in Charleston. We hit 82 Queen...it was an absolutely wonderful lunch.

I went to Charleston not knowing exactly what to expect...my family and I absolutely loved it.

Kahns Krazy
01-14-2011, 09:08 AM
When I was there, BMW was doing some promotional "resort drive experience". You could check out a car for the morning, afternoon, or evening totally free. We took a Z4 convertible out for dinner. Total blast. Nothing beats abusing the throttle on a high performance car that isn't yours.

Charleston is outstanding. I was just there a couple years ago and want to go back.

Kahns Krazy
01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
In Charleston, we stayed in a little spot called the Vendue Inn. We wound up there through hotwire and it was awesome. There's a great rooftop bar and it's in a great location. Basically everything in Charleston is walking distance.

I think if I had visited College of Charleston before I made my college choice, I might have gone there.

xu95
01-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I am sold on the Wild Dunes. Now I have to talk my wife into the two bedroom condo instead of just the regular hotel room.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

xu95