PDA

View Full Version : Problems on the Horizon for IU

XU05and07
02-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Sources are saying that there are some serious violations coming...

Not good for IU (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3243325)

Muskie73
02-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Beaky's probably got his bags packed. Just in case!

xujoe
02-13-2008, 07:18 AM
What sources?

DC Muskie
02-13-2008, 07:54 AM
IU gets whatever they get coming to them for hiring this guy. Did you all see that Ratliff left? Senior during the season, just left the team.

Not good.

Muskie
02-13-2008, 08:39 AM
IU gets whatever they get coming to them for hiring this guy. Did you all see that Ratliff left? Senior during the season, just left the team.

Not good.

Ratliff left the team because of academic issues. He's also had some very hard personal issues in his past, that many thought he had overcome. I don't think you can tie in Ratliff leaving the team to Sampson.

The whole rest of my family are IU grads. This is huge news, and sadly what i feared when Sampson was hired. Makes you appreciate what we're doing at X even more.

XUglow
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Mike and Mike said that no current players are involved in the allegations.

...and the NCAA isn't like the court systems. Basically, they are saying this is what we can prove. What do you have to say about it? If you play Roger Clemens and whine and say you didn't do anything, they are likely to toss the book at you. If you play Andy Pettite and fess up, there may be some leniency in the penalty.

Muskie 24
02-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Sampson's recruitment of Eric Gordon was extremely shady...(hiring close family freinds etc) then the phone calls.....now this...surprised if he's around next year...wow!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3243325

boozehound
02-13-2008, 09:25 AM
That's kind of what happens when you make a deal with the devil.

Billy
02-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Sampson is knee-deep in serious shit.

I would recommend that his team start playing better, and consider a Final Four apperance, or else his blue shirts will be heading out. The IU faithful will have you believe that they are honestly holding their noses while he coaches. So if that's true, he'll have to produce something huge this year with that squad.

Muskie
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm reading the report right now. Of interest to X fans, looks like Sampson made impermissable calls to Yancey Gates (one time X target and now UC commit) and Bud Mackey. Still wading through it.

Muskie
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
From May 25, 2006 through May 24, 2007, Sampson participated in three-way calls to Kenny Frease.

Frease verballed to X in March of 2007.

BBC 08
02-13-2008, 10:20 AM
I believe he committed in June maybe May of last year, which is right outside of the time Sampson called him.

Muskie
02-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Just updated my post... Frease verballed in March of 2007 according to rivals.

BBC 08
02-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Then I was way off. I knew it was after the OSU game but I couldn't remember how long after.

Muskie
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Irritates me that Sampson called him after he committed (assuming he called him on the back end of that range), but it also irritates me to hear Kenny took the call. I suppose it's ok because that was about the time Sean was rumored to be a candidate for several jobs.

boozehound
02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Irritates me that Sampson called him after he committed (assuming he called him on the back end of that range), but it also irritates me to hear Kenny took the call. I suppose it's ok because that was about the time Sean was rumored to be a candidate for several jobs.

In that case, Sampson can lick my sack. I just makes beating them earlier this year that much sweeter. Hopefully this is the end of the road for that sleazeball. Most of the IU fans I know aren't that crazy about him either, and if he gets in trouble for this, it could be the end for Sampson at IU.

dc_x
02-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Based on IU's statement, it sounds like it is likely that the NCAA interviewed Kenny for it's investigation.

At the recommendation of attorneys from Ice Miller's Collegiate Sports Practice in Indianapolis, the university reported some of the telephone calls as being secondary, or minor, violations in part because there was no evidence of "a purposeful plan to circumvent the sanctions."

After reviewing IU's self-report and conducting additional interviews with people not associated with Indiana University, the NCAA has categorized the allegations as potential "major violations" of its rules.

The NCAA staff interviewed several potential recruits and their family members who for a variety of reasons had been unavailable to talk to IU's investigating staff or who could not be reached at the time.

From what I can gather, IU self-reported the call to Kenny as a "minor violation" because there was not "a purposeful plan to circumvent the sanctions". The NCAA interviewed Kenny and he told them what really happened - that the assistant coach called him and handed the phone to Sampson so Sampson could talk directly to Kenny, which Sampson was not allowed to do. And I assume Sampson lied about this when IU self-reported the call.

Here is the link to IU's press release - link (http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/genrel/021308aaa.html)

DC Muskie
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
From May 25, 2006 through May 24, 2007, Sampson participated in three-way calls to Kenny Frease.

Frease verballed to X in March of 2007.

Of course Kenny took the call. Maybe Sampson wanted NC tickets. Kenny is a generous guy from what I understand.

xavierj
02-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I always felt like Sampson stole Crawford away from X. Xavier got in early on Crawford, was his leader then Sampson swooped in and grabbed him right away. He did the same with Bud Mackey but that may have been a blessing. Maybe if IU gets drilled Crawford will end up where he should have gone all along.

xavierj
02-13-2008, 01:05 PM
The more I think about it almost every kid involved was being recruited hard by Purdue, Xavier & OSU. Maybe Miller, Painter and Matta said enough is enough.

ford
02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I work with a guy who has a source high up in the Big Ten compliance division. Basically the program is screwed for at least 2-5 years...we're talking postseason bans, scholarship losses. Kelvin will no doubt be fired...don't think Miller would want to walk into that mess. I guarantee there will be transfers and de-commits that Sean and Mack (and beaknose) are already chomping at the bit for.

This is really tragic for the big chunk of IU fans, ex-players, boosters, etc. who never wanted Sampson in the first place.

JAPER
02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
The more I think about it all most every kid involved was being recruited hard by Purdue, Xavier & OSU. Maybe Miller, Painter and Matta said enough is enough.

that will get the rumor mill running full steam.

Clearly, Sampson is/was untrustworthy. Still very surprised IU made this hire in the first place. IU is better than that.

xu2006
02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
None of this crap happened at IU when Bob Knight was at the helm. He might have been a jerk, but he ran a clean program.

Mark 3 Pointer
02-13-2008, 01:38 PM
After learning of the time table associated with the phone calls to Frease... I can only hope this guy gets what is coming to him... I figured recruiting was a dirty business but to call recruits that have already committed! C'mon chop this dudes nuts off and give'em to Drew Lavender as a present.

Kahns Krazy
02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
In my opinion, recruiting violations should bring the stiffest sanctions. It is reasonable that the kids on the team were either recruited illegally themselves or are/were at least aware of this activity. I don't think it's an unreasonable punishment to the kids to keep them out of postseason play. There needs to be a message sent that the players have a responsibility not to participate in rules violations.

When a booster is paying one kid, it's hard to assume that all the kids know about it, but you could not convince me that the kids currently on that team weren't aware of what is going on.

I don't buy the crap about not knowing you're on a three way call either.

dc_x
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't buy the crap about not knowing you're on a three way call either.

Neither does the NCAA. That's what this report is all about. IU's self-report says that Sampson was unaware that he violated the sanctions already in place.

The NCAA's report makes it very clear that Sampson knew what he was doing and LIED about it to investigators. That means that IU either lied in their self report or is VERY naive.

This is going to get ugly.

Muskie
02-13-2008, 02:37 PM
After learning of the time table associated with the phone calls to Frease... I can only hope this guy gets what is coming to him... I figured recruiting was a dirty business but to call recruits that have already committed! C'mon chop this dudes nuts off and give'em to Drew Lavender as a present.

Sampson openly admits he still recruits kids who have verballed (see the whole Eric Gordon saga). He claimed that Gordon became interested in IU after the coaching change (gordon has already verballed to Illinois by then). I'm sure Sampson tried a similar approach with Frease.