PDA

View Full Version : Live Chat on an iPhone/iPad (or other iOS device)

coasterville95
12-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Per request - here is the configuration to Live Chat using an iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, etc)

Mods: Fell free to move this to wherever it would benefit the users as a reference.

Note To the IRC-savey user you should get the details you need to configure just about any IRC client package.

Background XavierHoops Live Chat is a java client for an IRC server. (Internet Relay Chat, usually thought to be archaic and obsolete)

For the iOS family I recommend Colloquy as your IRC client end software. I've tried the free clients, and this one is much better even if you have to pay for it.

Look in the App Store for Colloguy - currently it sells for $1.99 and titled "Colloquy - IRC Client"

Got that installed, open the app:

When it warms up,
1. touch "Connections" (bottom tabs)
2. touch the + button in upper left corner
3. Touch IRC Connection in menu that appears
4. In Description - call it anything you like, I call mine "Xavier Hoops"
5. In Address - enter irc.newnet.net (you can't use the drop down, its not there)
6. Make sure Push Notifications is set to Off
7. For Nickname - enter your Xavier Hoops handle
8. For Real Name - enter your real name (optional)
9. Set Connect at Launch to Off (unless you want it to go to the XH live chat as soon as you fire up Colloguy, then set it to On)
10. Touch Join Rooms
11. You may need to touch Edit in the upper right corner
12. Touch "Add Chat Room"
13. Enter #xavierhoops in the top box
14. leave Room Key blank
15. touch Join Rooms in upper left corner
16. Touch the button in the upper left corner (it will be named whatever you called your connection
17. Touch Advanced
just verify server port is set to 6667, use SSL is set to OFF you need not set anything else
18. touch the back button in the upper left corner
19. Touch the Connections button in upper left corner
20. Your new connection will appear on the Connections Menu
21. touch Done in the upper right corner
22. Touch your new connection
23. Touch Connect on the menu that appears
24. When the yellow traffic light turns to green you may continue, if it turns to red you either have a settings issue, or a connectivity issue, some public wifi hot spots block the IRC ports by firewall.
25. Touch Colloquies tab iat bottom of screen
Find your new chat room on the menu that appears and touch it
26. If the button on the top right shows three people you are connected, if says Join, press it to Join the room. (Touched the 3 people icon shows you who is in the room)
27.Touch the text entry box at the bottom of the screen to bring up the on screen keypad. 28. Have fun

bjf123
12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Works great. Thanks!