PDA

View Full Version : The Beard Thread

nuts4xu
12-16-2010, 09:27 AM
When I split from my ex-wife, I took the opportunity to allow my beard to grow in. When it did, I loved having a beard but I couldn't keep it long. It seemed to me at the time, most of the chicks I was pursuing were not overjoyed with the beard. I figured I had cut down the pool of babes with the beard, and shaved it after about 6 weeks.

Props to Titan and his beard, but this guy has him beat. He is known as "The Beard" and he races BMX bikes...a true character for sure. He is like the president/spokesman for the Cincinnati Moustache and Beard Club of Cincinnati and has appeared on Bill Cunningham talking about beards as recently as 2 weeks ago.

Titan, this is the standard....you rock a great beard, but this is what you need to shoot for! DON'T TRIM THAT BEARD TIL WE MAKE THE FINAL 4!!!

http://beardteamusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/mattbischoff.jpg

BandAid
12-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Jesus had a beard...that's a good enough reason for me!

Then again Jesus was crucified, and I'm not exactly going to jump in line for that...

ballyhoohoo
12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
When my ex and I split, I grew a beard also. There was deffinetly not a snatch parade at my place while the beard was in place.

PM Thor
12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Every man who can grow a beard should grow one at least once in their life. My Pop has had one for my entire life, it's epic. I am truly jealous, because work does not allow me to sport one. (If I do get laid off, guess what is getting grown?)

I HATE dayton.

Jumpy
12-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm jealous of those of you that can grow a nice, thick and luxurious beard. I'd grow one if I could. Mine comes in too scraggly and I end up looking like a giant nutsack after a week of not shaving.

ballyhoohoo
12-16-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm jealous of those of you that can grow a nice, thick and luxurious beard. I'd grow one if I could. Mine comes in too scraggly and I end up looking like a giant nutsack after a week of not shaving.

I have brown hair, but my beard grows in red, since I am short, and shall we say stocky, I tend to look like Zach galifinakis.

xu95
12-16-2010, 01:23 PM
I have brown hair, but my beard grows in red, since I am short, and shall we say stocky, I tend to look like Zach galifinakis.

Without the pocket book.

xu95

Titanxman04
12-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Ahhh, what a fantastic thread.

Nutz, that man has me beat...but I have a beautiful girlfriend who's intelligent and has a bright future....(which begs the question, what the hell is she doing with me?). Fact is, she doesn't mind the beard, but even right now, she'd prefer I trim it down some and keep it manageable.

More so, I'm joining the job hunt. Time to start looking for a real career that can pay for my bills and what not, and also fund a certain diamond ring sometime in the near future. If one of you can find me a career where I can grow this puppy out, then I'm game.

I've seen plenty of thicker, manlier beards in my day, and in no way do I feel like I am a central authority. I have found that once the lady gives the beard a shot, she likes it. Just keep it clean man, thats the key. A well-groomed beard, is a happy beard.

If I can Rep you, I will on this thread.

ballyhoohoo
12-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Ahhh, what a fantastic thread.

Nutz, that man has me beat...but I have a beautiful girlfriend who's intelligent and has a bright future....(which begs the question, what the hell is she doing with me?). Fact is, she doesn't mind the beard, but even right now, she'd prefer I trim it down some and keep it manageable.

More so, I'm joining the job hunt. Time to start looking for a real career that can pay for my bills and what not, and also fund a certain diamond ring sometime in the near future. If one of you can find me a career where I can grow this puppy out, then I'm game.

I've seen plenty of thicker, manlier beards in my day, and in no way do I feel like I am a central authority. I have found that once the lady gives the beard a shot, she likes it. Just keep it clean man, thats the key. A well-groomed beard, is a happy beard.

If I can Rep you, I will on this thread.

may I reccomend a career in Street Finance

http://rebelyogi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/287_panhandler-gov.jpg

Titanxman04
12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I've thought about it, but I've pushed the limits already with the lady. I feel like that may be the final straw.

Plus, I'm about to earn a degree from our beloved institution. I feel like street finance would be such a waste of my degree.

Titanxman04
12-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Another advantage to facial hair:

Keeps your face warm on cold, shitty days like today. I was walking to my car after work and some poor thin bastard was all bundled up in a couple of coats and a scarf around his neck. NOT I! I simply am built for winter.

Suck it thin people...if we got trapped out int he snow, my fat ass would last longer. :D

STL_XUfan
12-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Suck it thin people...if we got trapped out int he snow, my fat ass would last longer. :D

Or they would eat you first.

blobfan
12-16-2010, 03:17 PM
There's beards and then there's ZZ Top. If you don't have talent, you need to seriously think about not growing that type of beard. BMX champion? Wacky comedian? Uber-talented musician? Hard-core biker that can kick the crap out of anyone and has a posse to back you up? Crazy beard can work for you. Crazy beards, my opinion, are for people that don't care about the opinions of others, either because they are nuts or simply are so great at something else they don't have to care. Every crazy-beard guy that falls in between those extremes, at least in my experience, has been the type of guy that is living on his mother's couch or in a house with 5 friends, has hygiene issues and a floor strewn with potato chips and empty pizza boxes, minimal furniture and no aspirations to make any improvement in his life. Not very attractive

I think there are guys that can make nicely trimmed facial hair work for them. Especially guys that might be a little on the larger side and are rocking the teddy-bear look. If you've got the personality to back it up, a big bushy beard can draw people in and give a starting point for conversation.

But there's a point at which a beard becomes less a problem of looks than a sign of poor mental/physical hygiene (Ted Kazynski anyone?), and for me that's when it goes from just a part of the package to red-line danger stay-away-from-that-guy territory.

X-band '01
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I'd love to grow a full beard but can't manage anything beyond a goat.

I'm clean shaven at the moment, but NCAA beards will become en vogue around mid-February to March. It'll look just like the playoff beards NHL players sport.

Firehose
12-16-2010, 10:30 PM
As a bearded gentleman myself, I have to support titan here (not that I wouldn't anyway). A well-groomed beard is an indication that one is both manly and virile, but also strong and wise enough to keep the beast within in check.

The man you know as "The Beard" certainly possesses an impressive chin patch, but look at his cheeks. They are wispy and almost bare, but he insists on letting the patchy hair grow. His mustache is thin and unimpressive. All he really has going for him is obvious laziness and grooming that may be very easily called into question.

I present to you to Viggo Mortenson:

http://beardcoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/viggo-mortensen-beard-300x217.jpg

While Mr. Mortenson is not a man known for his beard, he grows one well and keeps it well maintained. Because of his thick muzzle*, he is able to allow it to grow slightly longer than the rest of his beard. He maintains a clear jawline with his shaved cheeks, though if this is due to patchy growth or simply choice, I can only speculate.

(*What you non-bearded folks might refer to as a goatee, we professional beard-growers refer to as a muzzle, deriving it from the term used for an animal's mouth, because a man with a well-kept beard is immediately recognized to be a fucking beast.)

The absurdist writer/philosopher Albert Camus wrote in The Fall, "After a certain age, every man is responsible for his face." I have chosen to follow the example set by my forefathers and take advantage of the gift nature has given me: a handsome beard. And though I am not Socrates, Charles Darwin, Henry VIII, or Ernest Hemmingway, I am able to propagate and participate in an ageless tradition set upon by men such as these and hope that the wisdom guiding me through life will one day be equal to the respect afforded to me by virtue of my beard.

wkrq59
12-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Stopped shaving completely in 1972 while painting the inside of our house.
My daughter, born that same year, has never seen me without a beard. Started out reddish brown, went from grey to fright white. Wife trims it and never has complained. In fact, enjoys it. Blessed be the furry for they shall be warm.:eek::D

bourbonman
12-17-2010, 07:17 AM
...Blessed be the furry for they shall be warm.:eek::D

I wish I could grow a beard. All the duck, goose, deer, pheasant hunting in the cold and the wind chill, it sure would be nice to have some fur on my face.

Cincypunk.org
12-17-2010, 07:43 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs180.snc1/6769_561080154220_50905692_33257789_3885923_n.jpg

I grew a beard for about 6 months a few years ago. It received mix reviews from my fiance, friends, and family... I enjoyed it thoroughly, but kind of hated the mustache part. It was brown and blonde, which is weird.

I wish I could grow a badass lumberjack beard.

blobfan
12-17-2010, 10:59 AM
As a bearded gentleman myself, I have to support titan here (not that I wouldn't anyway). A well-groomed beard is an indication that one is both manly and virile, but also strong and wise enough to keep the beast within in check. ...
I don't know about that, but I don't think it detracts. I am going to start referring to hubby's facial hair as "the beast." He's just going to LOVE that!

...Blessed be the furry for they shall be warm.
And I'm going to have that stitched onto a pillow for him. Too funny!

Cincypunk, in my opinion your beard works. But sometimes you have to go with what your loved ones tell you.

Titanxman04
12-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Cincypunk, in my opinion your beard works. But sometimes you have to go with what your loved ones tell you.

If they really love you, they'll love your beard as well.

PMI
12-17-2010, 11:54 AM
I grew a playoff beard for the Caps last year but it was unfortunately very short-lived. It itches like hell though, especially initially, which is what prevents me from doing it more often. Plus, I usually go awhile between haircuts and just let it grow, so I need to take other initiatives to prevent myself from looking like a complete bum. And yes, I'm a huge pussy in cold weather. If I had my way it'd be 95 degrees all year long.

blobfan
12-17-2010, 12:09 PM
If they really love you, they'll love your beard as well.

Mmmmm, no. I disagree. But if they really love you and you really love the beard, they will learn to accept it. If you give in and shave it, you probably don't love it that much.

PMI
12-17-2010, 12:14 PM
FACT: If I ever dated a girl who cut her hair super short she would be dumped on the spot, no questions asked.

danaandvictory
12-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I have begun the annual holiday beard. I get great coverage and stubble thickness but the growth seems to dissipate after 7-10 days and I just end up looking scruffy. If I could match the hirsute character of that Viggo pic, I'd join Q in the illustrious parade of bearded-Americans.

blobfan
12-17-2010, 12:47 PM
FACT: If I ever dated a girl who cut her hair super short she would be dumped on the spot, no questions asked.

:eek:

Jumpy
12-17-2010, 01:22 PM
what do you mean? Who wouldn't want to wake up to this?

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_01/BritSpearsMTX_468x464.jpg

X-band '01
12-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Great - we now have another version of Theo Huxtable's "What do we look like" thread now.

SixFig
12-17-2010, 06:51 PM

That's a fact Jack!

Wish I could grow a facial hair with any semblance of attractiveness. Alas

Masterofreality
12-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Sorry Cincy, but seperated at birth? ( I know, cold, but Cincypunk has white teeth)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs180.snc1/6769_561080154220_50905692_33257789_3885923_n.jpg
http://www.sportsstarsusa.com/image/1065439219.jpg

Attention Internet Police. Hijacking in progress!

BlueGuy
12-18-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't work Oct - March, which affords me the opportunity to grow a nice beard each year. My beard has been growing since Oct. 16th. I'm planning on carving out a nice stache after the Christmas holiday.

Firehose
12-18-2010, 04:51 AM
I don't work Oct - March

Are you a Reds baseball player? BA-ZING!

Cincypunk.org
12-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Sorry Cincy, but seperated at birth? ( I know, cold, but Cincypunk has white teeth)

http://www.sportsstarsusa.com/image/1065439219.jpg

Attention Internet Police. Hijacking in progress!

ouch.

X-band '01
12-18-2010, 06:55 AM
That's cold MOR. At least compare him to Toby Fienderson as opposed to YTG.

Titanxman04
12-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Well, tonight is the last night you'll see my TRUE beard.

Going to visit the girlfriend's family Sunday and her grandmother is coming to town, which means I need to trim it down big time. The windshield for my face will suffer some, but I'll survive.

By the way, if you all see me up in Joseph tonight, feel free to stop under the sign and say hi. Would love to meet more of you...well, some of you at least. :D

Beards Unite!

blobfan
12-18-2010, 03:04 PM
That's cold MOR. At least compare him to Toby Fienderson as opposed to YTG.

Not just cold, but not a valid comparison. Only men can grow full beards.

Titanxman04
12-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Not just cold, but not a valid comparison. Only men can grow full beards.

Jealousy. It's ok. I feel most women suffer from beard-envy. :D

Cheesehead
12-19-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't work Oct - March, which affords me the opportunity to grow a nice beard each year. My beard has been growing since Oct. 16th. I'm planning on carving out a nice stache after the Christmas holiday.

I want that gig. How much does it pay?

Blueblob4life
12-19-2010, 02:36 PM

Titan, I was going to come to say hi when I saw you dip into Joseph but then the power of your beard just blew me away.......that and I didn't have a ticket in

JimmyTwoTimes37
12-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Titan, have you seen this?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101221/LIFE/12210320/Queen-City-now-has-beard-club

http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20101221&Category=LIFE&ArtNo=12210320&Ref=AR&MaxW=308&Border=0

nuts4xu
12-21-2010, 11:55 AM

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101221/LIFE/12210320/Queen-City-now-has-beard-club

http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20101221&Category=LIFE&ArtNo=12210320&Ref=AR&MaxW=308&Border=0

The guy second from the right, is "The Beard", same guy pictured in my original post.

Willie Cunningham loves beards.

Titanxman04
12-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Awesome. Simply awesome. I am intrigued by this group and hope to swing by and take part in their gatherings sometime or another.

Beards Unite

Kahns Krazy
12-21-2010, 01:04 PM
The second guy in is identified as "J. Peanut Kahles of Summerside, "

Of course.

blobfan
12-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Apparently I don't need to be jealous. I can wear a fake beard and join the Whiskerinas.

Titanxman04
12-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Apparently I don't need to be jealous. I can wear a fake beard and join the Whiskerinas.

Then dream it you silly dreamer! Fake beards are acceptable on women. Real beards....not so much.

blobfan
12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Then dream it you silly dreamer! Fake beards are acceptable on women. Real beards....not so much.

After slogging through cold and snow for two 5ks this December, I might have to get one of the fakes to help me survive the winter running weather. A little late now.

Mrs. Garrett
12-21-2010, 03:46 PM
My wife likes when I grow a little scruff (3-5 days worth). But she is not a fan of the beard look. I shave my head and think a nice thick taliban beard would look pretty bad ass.

Firehose
12-21-2010, 05:49 PM
My wife likes when I grow a little scruff (3-5 days worth). But she is not a fan of the beard look. I shave my head and think a nice thick taliban beard would look pretty bad ass.

I did that - my fiancee hated it, but didn't tell me at the time. Whenever I get sentimental about the great feeling of a shaved head, she reminds me that it's not worth it.

Frankly, I'm just fortunate that she loves my beard. It helps, though, that it's so thick and full and masculine.

Titanxman04
12-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I did that - my fiancee hated it, but didn't tell me at the time. Whenever I get sentimental about the great feeling of a shaved head, she reminds me that it's not worth it.

Frankly, I'm just fortunate that she loves my beard. It helps, though, that it's so thick and full and masculine.

I love your beard too. You were the benchmark for what I wanted my face warmer to be.

Xman95
12-21-2010, 07:58 PM
When I read "The Beard Thread" being the subject, I immediately thought of Katie Holmes:

http://www.dailystab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/katie-holmes-tom-cruise-mad-money-premiere.jpg

Xman95
12-21-2010, 08:11 PM

Screw you! I would slice you open like a Tauntaun and use you for warmth.

http://shopping.syncweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/tauntaun.jpg

That leads to perhaps the best sleeping bag ever:

http://dvice.com/assets_c/2009/04/ThinkGeek-Tauntaun-sleeping-bag-thumb-550xauto-15646.jpg

Firehose
12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
When I read "The Beard Thread" being the subject, I immediately thought of Katie Holmes:

http://www.dailystab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/katie-holmes-tom-cruise-mad-money-premiere.jpg

Someone rep this man for me. A winner is you, sir.

Firehose
12-21-2010, 08:16 PM
I love your beard too. You were the benchmark for what I wanted my face warmer to be.

I am proud to have known you both without and now with the proud, hirsute flag of masculinity flying from your face and I am honored that not only did I inspire you down such a noble path, but that you think so highly of me and my face-fur, that I created a standard for you. The next time I see you, sir, there will not be blood. There will be beer.

xu95
12-22-2010, 07:50 AM
The guy second from the right, is "The Beard", same guy pictured in my original post.

Willie Cunningham loves beards.

I think Willie just loves guys.

xu95

nuts4xu
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
http://beardteamusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/mattbischoff.jpg

Just found out The Beard (this guy pictured above), Anderson grad and fellow Cincinnati resident, will be seen on "Survivor Caramoan-Fans vs Favorites" set to begin airing on 2/13/2013.

He is a great dude, and will be loved by America.

Titanxman04
01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
I am proud to have known you both without and now with the proud, hirsute flag of masculinity flying from your face and I am honored that not only did I inspire you down such a noble path, but that you think so highly of me and my face-fur, that I created a standard for you. The next time I see you, sir, there will not be blood. There will be beer.

Interesting that you brought this thread back, Nutz. This is close to the two year anniversary of our friends death. He passed not long after this post of his. He's still miss, and I am saddened to say we never got to celebrate our masculinity with beer drinking. I will have one or several soon, in his honor. Then more in his beard's.

nuts4xu
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Interesting that you brought this thread back, Nutz.

After I brought this thread back up, I realized it must have been some of Firehose's last posts on this board.

If he loved beards, he is going to love Matt Bischoff in Survivor this year. Dude has a tattoo of the man with the longest beard in history on his back.

Long live Firehose and BEARDS!!

Titanxman04
01-15-2013, 01:26 PM
After I brought this thread back up, I realized it must have been some of Firehose's last posts on this board.

If he loved beards, he is going to love Matt Bischoff in Survivor this year. Dude has a tattoo of the man with the longest beard in histoamry on his back.

Long live Firehose and BEARDS!!

Amen, brother.