PDA

View Full Version : Cactus Pear

Kahns Krazy
02-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Has anyone else been to this joint lately? I used to like this place, but I went for the first time in a while last Thursday, and was pretty let down. I got steak fajitas, and they were bad. The meat was tough, the onions and peppers were either burnt or raw, the presentation was poor.

The girl got the chicken enchiladas, which were very good, although the 'small' portion was one enchilada for $11.

Chips and salsa are $2. They're good, but c'mon. It's a mexican joint. Serve chips and salsa, especially when you're knocking down $11 for one enchilada.

What are the best Mexican places in town?

boozehound
02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I still think that Don Pablos is one of the best mexican joints in town. Also El Coyote in Anderson Township is awesome. I highly recommend it.

chico
02-12-2008, 12:36 PM
When I worked over in Forrest Park we used to go to lunch at a place called Cancun. Nothing fancy, just good, basic Mexican food.

It's in a little strip mall on 127 just past Kemper. It's a hole in the wall but worth it.

Lamont Sanford
02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
The Mrs and I really like Jalapenos in Kenwood on Hosbrook.

The last time we went to Cactus Pear, we were a little disappointed as well. I also thought it was odd that they charge for chips and salsa.

spongebob
02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Even with a somewhat limited menu(primarily burritos,tacos and salads), Chipotle is excellent. Fairly priced also, imho.

PM Thor
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I had Abuelos out in Mason just last week.

I liked it a ton, very good sit down joint.

Cactus Pear is seriously overpriced.

KC4X
02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Xochimilco on Springdale Rd near Colerain Ave. is also very good.

xavierdude
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
El Rancho Grande is by far the best Mexican food for a decent price. I get filled up on 8 dollars worth of food and they have it at your table in 10 minutes. It's awesome. Free chips and salsa. It's off 275 between 71 and 75. Blanking on the exit.

Fred Garvin
02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
When I worked downtown we used to go to the Clifton Cactus Pear every Friday. Then I went to the one in Kenwood and was very disappointed. I looked at their menu and it is pretty steep even for carryout(at least for what you get).

El Coyote is my favorite restaurant in town.

Stonebreaker
02-12-2008, 05:49 PM
1) Abuelos
2) El Coyote
3) Don Pablos-good fajitas

XU0001
02-12-2008, 07:27 PM
El Coyote is the best for Tex Mex, make sure you double down on the mashed and as previously mentioned Cancun which rocks and there is one at Western Bowl too. Don Pablos is still good but they are closing some of them

xeus
02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Don Pablos' parent is in Ch 11, that's why they're closing some.

I recently heard NADA is really good. It's downtown next to the Aronoff.

I love El Coyote but have not been there in awhile.

Jalapeno's is also good, especially with a trip to Half Price Books for dessert.

nuts4xu
02-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I had dinner at Cactus Pear in Clifton on Saturday, and had the cheese enchiladas. I had no complaints about the dinner, but the chips and salsa didn't wow me.

Abuelo's is on the high end of the mexican scale, and a beautiful joint. It is very good. For the money, the place I think is the best is a place called Palatio Azteca. It is located in a hotel, back near the Home Depot off Fields Ertl. I think the hotel is a Super 8, or some dump, that never seems to have any guests.

No one there speaks english very well, and the food is not good for you at all. But the meal is excellent. Plus, they are one of those Mexican places that serves the big 32 oz draft Dos XX. I love that stuff.

Kahns Krazy
02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
I almost metioned The Coyote in my original post. My problem with the mexican food there is that their steaks are so damn good- ditto the pork chops- that on the occasions that I get there I can never make myself order the mexican food. Still the only place in town that serves good Margaritas that I have found.

Chipotle doesn't count.

I miss the old sit-down Taco Casa on Erie. The current place does decent take out, but not much mexican food travels well. The taco salad still kicks serious ass though.

I like Pablos food okay, but somehow my bill is always enormous because they serve a 14oz beer in a 8 pound mug and charge a fortune for it.

pickledpigsfeet
02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
El Rancho Grande is by far the best Mexican food for a decent price. I get filled up on 8 dollars worth of food and they have it at your table in 10 minutes. It's awesome. Free chips and salsa. It's off 275 between 71 and 75. Blanking on the exit.

Its off the exit for 42 (exit 46 I believe) just south of the highway. It reminds me of Los Portales off of Beechmont, and in fact, their menus are very similar.

I travel to Mexico about 10-12 times a year and I have to say that Taquaria Maya in Mason has the most authentic tacos that I've had in the states. The other food there is decent. The pork tacos rule, served with onions, cilantro, and a lime to squeeze. They also have Mexican Coke (with real sugar) which I could drink about 4 of if given the chance.

nuts4xu
02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
They also have Mexican Coke (with real sugar) which I could drink about 4 of if given the chance.

My man, we all have our vices, and while blow isn't my thing, I can tell you it might not be a good idea to let people know the best place to get the stuff. Better to keep that on the down low.

Kahns Krazy
02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't know nuts, this is a guy who proudly claims to love the cock.

pickledpigsfeet
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't know nuts, this is a guy who proudly claims to love the cock.

Actually, if you notice, it has an arrow pointing to whoever posts ahead of me. So in this case, the arrow is pointing at you Kahns Krazy, you love the cock.

XU05and07
02-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Has anyone else been to this joint lately? I used to like this place, but I went for the first time in a while last Thursday, and was pretty let down. I got steak fajitas, and they were bad. The meat was tough, the onions and peppers were either burnt or raw, the presentation was poor.

The girl got the chicken enchiladas, which were very good, although the 'small' portion was one enchilada for $11.

Chips and salsa are $2. They're good, but c'mon. It's a mexican joint. Serve chips and salsa, especially when you're knocking down $11 for one enchilada.

What are the best Mexican places in town?

Went there for lunch a while back with people from work...we had a couple things of chips and salsa and then asked them to split the bill...each of us got charged $0.47 for that. Shouldn't that stuff be free at a Mexican restaurant (like bread at Italian places)?

The Mrs and I really like Jalapenos in Kenwood on Hosbrook.

The last time we went to Cactus Pear, we were a little disappointed as well. I also thought it was odd that they charge for chips and salsa.

I have lived right around the corner from Jalapenos for nearly 3 years and never been there...I have been skeptical of the place

scooper
02-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Jalepenos is good. I will also vouch for El Rancho Grande on 42. Good food. Somewhat authentic and very reasonably priced.

It's not really a sit down joint, but downtown, Javier's on the corner of 8th and Walnut is excellent. Javier basically bought out the Burrito Joes franchise on Court St. and kicked in some authentic recipes and a few new items to beef up the Burrito Joe's menu. It's all freshly made and they don't skimp on the good parts such as the chicken and beef while trying to fill you up with lettuce.

Don't show up at noon, though, or it's a long wait.

Kahns Krazy
02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Actually, if you notice, it has an arrow pointing to whoever posts ahead of me. So in this case, the arrow is pointing at you Kahns Krazy, you love the cock.

Maybe your layout is different, but on my screen, it points directly at your name.

muskee2000
02-13-2008, 09:59 PM
I am going to hit up the El Coyote for the first time when I am back in town this weekend. Any reccommendations? I was thinking of trying one of the steaks and mashed potatoes, which seems weird at a Tex Mex place.

We have had some informal department dinners at Cactus Pear in the past and I was not impressed by the food though the Margarita was quite tasty and I am not a fan of that mixed concoction.

Kahns Krazy
02-14-2008, 01:59 PM
You really cant go wrong with the steaks at the Coyote, and if you think Cactus Pear has good margaritas, make sure you don't miss the Coyote's version.

If you're not paying, I suggest the porterhouse. They also have killer pork chops if you're in that mood when you get there.

94GRAD
02-14-2008, 02:26 PM
I am going to hit up the El Coyote for the first time when I am back in town this weekend. Any reccommendations? I was thinking of trying one of the steaks and mashed potatoes, which seems weird at a Tex Mex place.

We have had some informal department dinners at Cactus Pear in the past and I was not impressed by the food though the Margarita was quite tasty and I am not a fan of that mixed concoction.

I always get the new york strip medium rare and double mashed potatoes. I can't get enough of those potatoes.

boozehound
02-14-2008, 02:40 PM
El Coyote has great Chimichangas as well if you are in the mood for more traditional Mexican food.

94GRAD
02-14-2008, 03:03 PM
El Coyote has great Chimichangas as well if you are in the mood for more traditional Mexican food.

MMMMMMMMM, deep fried Burritos

muskee2000
02-14-2008, 06:04 PM
They all sound good. Of course a deep fried burrito is good. you could deep fry lettuce and people would eat it.

I am really intrigued by these mashed potatoes.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

PM Thor
02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
deep fried burrito? Holy crap, why not just shoot yourself in the gut and get it over with?

Damn, it does sound good right now though. Not the bullet to the abdomen, the burrito. Why is it that Mexican joints don't deliver?

xeus
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Why is it that Mexican joints don't deliver?

I can't wait to see where this goes ...

American X
02-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Why is it that Mexican joints don't deliver?

Are you race baiting? I'll bite.

Because all the Mexican joints only have one truck.

Because that is so far to drive, mang.

Because your food would be all wet after the swim.

Stonebreaker
02-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Good call on the chimi's.

PM Thor
02-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Are you race baiting? I'll bite.

Because all the Mexican joints only have one truck.

Because that is so far to drive, mang.

Because your food would be all wet after the swim.

No, not race baiting. Just would love it if Mexican places delivered.

XdeewillyX
02-14-2008, 07:22 PM
El Pueblo on Hunt Rd in Blue Ash...just pick a number between 1 & 100, and you will get a mix of meat, cheese, beans and/or rice. Throw back a couple of drafts, wait 1hr and drop a donkey. Rinse, repeat.

94GRAD
02-14-2008, 07:24 PM
El Pueblo on Hunt Rd in Blue Ash road...just pick a number between 1 & 100, and you will get a mix of meat, cheese, beans and/or rice. Throw back a couple of drafts, wait 1hr and drop a donkey. Rinse, repeat.

That just made me laugh out loud.

pickledpigsfeet
02-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Maybe your layout is different, but on my screen, it points directly at your name.

Its gottta be your set up. I've seen it on multiple computers, both signed in and not signed it, and with different IP addresses, and in all cases, it points up at the person above.

boozehound
02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
On my screen it points right at your name.

XU05and07
02-15-2008, 10:44 AM
El Pueblo on Hunt Rd in Blue Ash...just pick a number between 1 & 100, and you will get a mix of meat, cheese, beans and/or rice. Throw back a couple of drafts, wait 1hr and drop a donkey. Rinse, repeat.

I was going to mention El Pueblo as well...Food is good and the food is on your table pretty quickly. The owners and managers are really nice as well. A group of us used to do happy hour up there and the beer and margaritas always did the job

xu2006
02-15-2008, 10:55 AM
El Pueblo in Blue Ash is great - and they have awesome drink deals. Pitchers of margaritas are $13.99 all day Thursday. They have daily drink specials every day. The prices aren't bad, and they put coupons on Reach magazine if you really want to cheapen it...

Los Portales on Beechmont is ok. They have great drink deals, and the food is normally alright. It's never too busy, and the staff is very nice.

Both places have endless free chips and salsa.

boozehound
02-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I've never been to los port-a-lets, but I've heard that it is decent too.

spongebob
02-15-2008, 11:05 AM

I'm wiping tears from my eyes from laughing so hard.

Kahns Krazy
02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
The Lost Port-o-let is hit and miss in my experience, but the drinks normally make up for it. Stay away from the chicken nachos.

Last year they had half price margaritas on Cinco de Mayo. Hooo boy did I get liquored up.

When they first opened that joint, they had absurd happy hour deals. I think 16 oz beers were 60 cents or soemthing like that.

boozehound
02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
What are the drink specials like now? I know that when that place was a Tumbleweed they had 99c margaritas on either monday or tuesday.

Kahns Krazy
02-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I think drinks are half price during happy hour.

boozehound
02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Not bad, but not as good as the 99c margaritas. Even though they were not very good margaritas at all...

Kahns Krazy
02-15-2008, 01:44 PM
The Buffalo Wings and Rings in the Quality Inn has 99 cent Bud, Bud Light and Miller Lite drafts.

Kahns Krazy
02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
By the way, boozehound, a little birdy just stopped by and told me who you are. I had no idea.

Next time I'm heading out the port-o-let way, I'll let you know.

boozehound
02-15-2008, 02:36 PM
You do that. I'll join you.

boozehound
02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
BTW you should have heard the 'little birdy' when I told her what my handle was on this message board:

"THAT IS THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD OF ETC. ETC."

Kahns Krazy
02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
She should talk. She thinks the show Webster was "AWESOME".

boozehound
02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
She also loves the show "ALF"

xuirish
02-15-2008, 04:43 PM
The Buffalo Wings and Rings in the Quality Inn has 99 cent Bud, Bud Light and Miller Lite drafts.

That's a great price, but just don't eat there, the food is terrible, in my opinion.

Kahns Krazy
02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
That's a great price, but just don't eat there, the food is terrible, in my opinion.

All I had was wings, and they were very good. Good meaty wings, and well done. Plenty of good sauce.

BWR's blue cheese is the best I've found.

xuirish
02-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Well I wish my experience was as good as yours, my food was awful, the server spilled water all over me and her way of helping me was for me to grab the towel off of her waist and clean it up myself.

Kahns Krazy
02-17-2008, 11:52 AM
With all the El Coyote talk, I had to hit it. Went for the strip with the mashed potatoes. Pitcher of margaritas.

Man that place is good. The garlic toast and sauteed mushrooms and onion straws are almost too much. I have never left that place hungry.

BlueGuy
02-17-2008, 12:28 PM
There is a new mexican place downtown called Nada (http://www.eatdrinknada.com/main.html). I hit it up a few weeks ago. It was very good. It wasn't too pricy for a downtown type place either. I'd definately recommend it.

There's been a few shoutouts for Jalepeno's in Kenwood. I've been there twice, and both times I haven't made it out of there w/ out having to sit down in the bathroom for a while. I will not go back there.

I still miss LaSalsa in Hyde Park Plazza. It was semi fast food, but was by far my favorite mexican place around.

Fred Garvin
02-19-2008, 12:36 AM
With all the El Coyote talk, I had to hit it. Went for the strip with the mashed potatoes. Pitcher of margaritas.

Man that place is good. The garlic toast and sauteed mushrooms and onion straws are almost too much. I have never left that place hungry.

I'm jealous, solid order. I'm assuming you had the strip blackened. I do enjoy their seafood quesa appetizer. But that is all strategy, you feel like an idiot if you get that and are filled by your salad. This really is an operation for 3 or 4.

PM Thor
02-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey Lasser, here's a heads up. Shut up tonight. Sleep it off. Be thankful you haven't been banned ok?

Read the PM I sent you.

BlueGuy
02-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey Lasser, here's a heads up. Shut up tonight. Sleep it off. Be thankful you haven't been banned ok?

Read the PM I sent you.

Looks like that dude was banned after all. What did he do?

boozehound
02-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree Blueguy. Not sure what he did to get banned. I haven't really seen any inappropriate posts from him, but maybe there were some that got deleted or something.

xeus
02-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Looking over the carnage in the Post Graveyard, it appears there were about 10 or 15 posts deleted in the 3:30am timeframe. Weird.

muskee2000
02-19-2008, 09:57 AM
The Cactus Pear was indeed tasty. Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to go again next time I am back in town and try the fried burritos.

boozehound
02-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Sounds like somebody was a bit sauced at around 3am and got out of line.

Kahns Krazy
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
The Cactus Pear was indeed tasty. Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to go again next time I am back in town and try the fried burritos.

I hope you mean El Coyote.

Fred Garvin
02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Lasser must have felt strongly about his Mexican fare.

Kahns Krazy
02-22-2008, 02:57 PM

XU Fan digs my take on the presentation.

ballyhoohoo
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Its off the exit for 42 (exit 46 I believe) just south of the highway. It reminds me of Los Portales off of Beechmont, and in fact, their menus are very similar.

I travel to Mexico about 10-12 times a year and I have to say that Taquaria Maya in Mason has the most authentic tacos that I've had in the states. The other food there is decent. The pork tacos rule, served with onions, cilantro, and a lime to squeeze. They also have Mexican Coke (with real sugar) which I could drink about 4 of if given the chance.

Lo Portales is now a El Rancho Grande.

Cincypunk.org
01-11-2011, 02:16 PM
The new Cancun off of Anderson Ferry destroys the old Cancun in Western Bowl. It is owned by the same people with some of the same employee, so it doesn't make much sense but it is the truth!

Porkopolis
01-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Taqueira Mercado at 100 E 8th (across from the main library) is definitely worth your time. They offer free parking in the Archdiocese lot during evening hours. For those living farther afield there is a location in Fairfield, though I can't vouch for it as I've only eaten at the one downtown.

http://www.taqueriamercado.com/

sirthought
01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Taqueira Mercado at 100 E 8th (across from the main library) is definitely worth your time. They offer free parking in the Archdiocese lot during evening hours. For those living farther afield there is a location in Fairfield, though I can't vouch for it as I've only eaten at the one downtown.

http://www.taqueriamercado.com/

I enjoy this place too. Decent drinks and they have cool music sometimes. I've had the Chicken mole a couple times, which was a huge amount of food.

I wish mexican joints had a wider variety of veggies. I get bored eating the same thing at these places all the time. But I highly recommend Taqueira Mercado overall.

xuwin
01-11-2011, 03:02 PM
The El Mariachi in Harrison is my favorite. Good food at very reasonable prices.