PDA

View Full Version : The Bourbon Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Strange Brew
12-08-2010, 10:55 PM
As a native Kentuckian I feel that The Premier Whiskey needed its own home.

Let's face it, the other "whiskeys" are just moonshine puked out of USED bourbon casks.

That said, what is everyone's favorite bourbon? I was a Woodford gent but the special lady took me on the bourbon trail for my birthday and I discovered Four Roses and have yet to put it down. However, I still love a good Blanton's with minimal ice cubes when I venture out of the house.

bobbiemcgee
12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Been an Old Fitzgerald guy for many yrs.

xudash
12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
You aren't exactly suffering with Woodford and Blanton's.

I have Knob Creek on the bar presently.

So a little more detail on Four Roses and perhaps it's off to ABC Liquors with me.

Xaveriana
12-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I typically only drink Jim Beam, but I recently purchased WILLET BOURBON WHISKEY.
This is awesome and comes in a bad-ass bottle!
http://www.caskstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/5/5/559_2.jpg

waggy
12-09-2010, 01:03 AM
I've gone thru periods where each of the popular standards was my fave.. Jack for a little while, longtime Beam drinker, Makers for a little while, longtime Turkey drinker. But now I think I've come full circle and Jack has a taste I couldn't really appreciate when I was younger. Great stuff. But I don't drink (much) anymore. And don't get me started on Tequila.

ballyhoohoo
12-09-2010, 07:25 AM
I am a pretty faithful drinker of 1792, somestimes i stray to woodford
http://www.bourbonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1792_Ridgemont_reserve_bourbon.jpg

Titanxman04
12-09-2010, 07:31 AM
My brother and I usually go in and buy our dad a nice bottle of bourbon or whiskey for Christmas every year. We bought him Woodford's Master's collection last year and while I lack a strong pallet, the difference between the original WR and the Masters is quite noticeable and fantastic. It is a wonderful bourbon if you have something to celebrate or for nice occasions.

http://www.bourbonblog.com/bourbonwp/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Woodford_Reserve_Masters_Collection_Seasoned_Oak_F inish-640x1024.jpg

Smails
12-09-2010, 07:42 AM
I had a Woodford Manhattan last night and it was glorious. It is far and away my Whiskey of choice these days. That being said, I usually buy a bottle of Booker's around New Year's and for my pallet it's the best around...just very expensive.

Titanxman04
12-09-2010, 07:45 AM
I had a Woodford Manhattan last night and it was glorious. It is far and away my Whiskey of choice these days. That being said, I usually buy a bottle of Booker's around New Year's and for my pallet it's the best around...just very expensive.

Bookers is what we bought my father the year before. That stuff can knock you on your ass quickly but damn it all if it isn't just fantastic. For as strong as it is, I find it incredibly smooth.

muskee2000
12-09-2010, 09:12 AM
I have become a fan of Buffalo Trace but have taken a shine to 4 Roses Small Batch.

chico
12-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I will always be a Maker's guy. Going to school in Kentucky in the 80's will do that to you. I know it's everywhere now but I still remember walking into Morton's in Vegas about 15 years ago and asking for a Maker's and the bartender looked at me like I was from outer space.

That being said, I also enjoy Woodford and Blanton's. A friend introduced me to Pappy's a while ago and it's very, very good. Probably the smoothest sipping whiskey I've ever had.

Really, though, is there a bad bourbon out there?

ballyhoohoo
12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Really, though, is there a bad bourbon out there?

I submit this gem as my candidate. $15 a handle, nicht gut
http://www.thebeveragestore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/l/old-crow-bourbon.jpg

chico
12-09-2010, 09:36 AM
http://www.thebeveragestore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/l/old-crow-bourbon.jpg

That's like drinking Busch Light. Get beer cold enough and it's fine. Mix bourbon with enough coke and a lot of ice and you're good to go. Maybe not the next morning, but who thinks that far ahead?

American X
12-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Now we are talking. I made a vow to only drink whiskey from lands that threw off British rule.

Currently in the AmX rotation:

Buffalo Trace - hand selected by the pros at Binny's, plus affordably priced.

Elmer T. Lee - well-balanced single-barrel.

Rowan's Creek - disappeared over Thanksgiving weekend.

If at a restaurant, a Baker's neat will do. If at a bar, Knob Creek on the rocks is just fine.

Booker's is great, but I find a little unpolished as the highest-priced of those small batch bourbons.

I may have to get to the bottom of a bottle of Four Roses next.

BBC 08
12-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm hoping to get Pappy's or Blanton's for Christmas from the parents.

xu95
12-09-2010, 11:18 AM

$15 a bottle. That crap was like $7.50 when I was getting drunk on it in 1991.

I like Jack if I am mixing with Coke, I like Makers Mark in a Manhattan, and I like Four Roses if I am drinking straight.

xu95

boozehound
12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
As a native Kentuckian I feel that The Premier Whiskey needed its own home.

Let's face it, the other "whiskeys" are just moonshine puked out of USED bourbon casks.

That said, what is everyone's favorite bourbon? I was a Woodford gent but the special lady took me on the bourbon trail for my birthday and I discovered Four Roses and have yet to put it down. However, I still love a good Blanton's with minimal ice cubes when I venture out of the house.

There's already a Scotch thread...

In all seriousness though, I enjoy a nice bourbon from time to time as well. I have a bottle of Russell's Reserve in my liquor cabinet right now that is not too bad. I always like Woodford reserve and Knob creek as well. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is pretty good also.

I haven't really tried any of the more 'boutique' bourbons yet. I will have to make a point to do so soon.

Muskie91
12-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Mark me down for 1792

muskienick
12-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Woodford Reserve won a blind taste test at our place a few years ago but that test didn't include Buffalo Trace, our current favorite. (Knpb Creek did come in second place behind WR in the taste test.)

We drink Makers neat when we're out since few drinking establishments we go to serve Buffalo Trace.

xudash
12-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Old Crow! how about this:

http://www.brandlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mattinglymoore1.jpg

Smails
12-09-2010, 03:40 PM
My deal old grandma used to herself all slopped up on some rott gut called PM Deluxe. She used to make pitchers of manhattans with it when we had big family get togethers.

It tasted like crap but it might be the fountain of youth as she lived to be 93 on a diet of PM Delux, Entemanns cookies and Viceroys

X Factor
12-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Excellent thread!

Two of my favorites:

http://www.whiskymerchants.co.uk/communities/9/004/005/976/859/images/4517240577.jpg

and

http://www.klwines.com/images/skus/1023471x.jpg

I'll be drinking a couple of pours of EC12 tonight during the Butler game.

Strange Brew
12-09-2010, 11:12 PM
There's already a Scotch thread...

In all seriousness though, I enjoy a nice bourbon from time to time as well. I have a bottle of Russell's Reserve in my liquor cabinet right now that is not too bad. I always like Woodford reserve and Knob creek as well. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is pretty good also.

I haven't really tried any of the more 'boutique' bourbons yet. I will have to make a point to do so soon.

Scotch is a nice used barrel whiskey...........:D

I drink a little scotch from time to time only when bourbon is not available on a flight as I'm not a fan of TN moonshine errr whiskey. I'd love to have a great aged scotch but I can't bring myself to spend top dollar on anything other then pure...Ky..bourbon.

Did I mention I'm a Ky native? :D

Strange Brew
12-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Excellent thread!

Two of my favorites:

http://www.whiskymerchants.co.uk/communities/9/004/005/976/859/images/4517240577.jpg

and

http://www.klwines.com/images/skus/1023471x.jpg

I'll be drinking a couple of pours of EC12 tonight during the Butler game.

You have excellent taste. I too am enjoying a generous pour after tonights glorious triumph.....work is going to be a bumpy adventure tomorrow.

murray87
12-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Does the United States have an official drink?? If not, it should definitely be bourbon! Bourbon is one thing you can count on that will never have its manufacturing out-sourced to another country. If you should ever pick up a bottle of bourbon and find "made in China" stamped on it, the apocalypse is right around the corner.

bourbonman
12-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Does the United States have an official drink?? ...

As close as it comes. Its the official spirit.

On August 2, 2007, the U.S. Senate passed a resolution sponsored by Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) officially declaring September 2007 "National Bourbon Heritage Month", marking the history of bourbon whiskey.[16] Notably, the resolution claims that Congress declared bourbon to be "America's Native Spirit" in its 1964 resolution.[16] The 1964 resolution, however, does not contain such a statement per se; it only declares that bourbon is a distinctive product identifiable with the United States in the same way that Scotch is identifiable with Scotland.[13] The resolution has been passed each year since.

Loving reading this post. I have my favorite brands (one in particular) but rather than focus on brands I try to focus on flavors. I like the spiciness of a bourbon that has a mash bill high in rye content. Nothing sweet that one gets from bourbons that use wheat instead of rye. I avoid those that are too burnt, because they use a char in the barrel that burns into the "red line". Definitely don't like those that smell/taste too much like corn.

muskienick
12-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Old Crow! how about this:

http://www.brandlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mattinglymoore1.jpg

But it's good for bee stings!

vee4xu
12-10-2010, 05:11 PM

On August 2, 2007, the U.S. Senate passed a resolution sponsored by Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) officially declaring September 2007 "National Bourbon Heritage Month", marking the history of bourbon whiskey.[16] Notably, the resolution claims that Congress declared bourbon to be "America's Native Spirit" in its 1964 resolution.[16] The 1964 resolution, however, does not contain such a statement per se; it only declares that bourbon is a distinctive product identifiable with the United States in the same way that Scotch is identifiable with Scotland.[13] The resolution has been passed each year since.

Loving reading this post. I have my favorite brands (one in particular) but rather than focus on brands I try to focus on flavors. I like the spiciness of a bourbon that has a mash bill high in rye content. Nothing sweet that one gets from bourbons that use wheat instead of rye. I avoid those that are too burnt, because they use a char in the barrel that burns into the "red line". Definitely don't like those that smell/taste too much like corn.

Bourbonman is a good friend of mine and shows wisdom in lots of areas. But, trust me when I tell you, if you want to know anything, I mean ANYTHING about bourbon, past, present or future, listen to bourbonman. The man knows like no other when he speaks on this topic. In fact, he lives it!

Strange Brew
12-15-2010, 11:03 PM
You aren't exactly suffering with Woodford and Blanton's.

I have Knob Creek on the bar presently.

So a little more detail on Four Roses and perhaps it's off to ABC Liquors with me.

4 roses is a really nice pour. It was bought by Seagrams in the 50's and was export only until 2004 and was only sold in Ky until '07. Now it is in 40+ states. I was skeptical when the wife kicked off the tour there but, I hate to admit that she was right and that it was/is a great place (much better than our Woodford experience). As to taste I would describe it as a little smoother than Maker's and a little harsher than Woodford.

xudash
12-15-2010, 11:19 PM

I'm impressed. I truly am impressed. I enjoy listening to or reading about people who really know what they're talking about, be it professionally or about an avocation or both. As vee noted, you obviously know and enjoy this topic.

bourbonman
12-16-2010, 09:35 AM
... you obviously know and enjoy this topic.

If I don't at least my liver does. After 32 years in this industry, if I don't know (or remember everything due to age) the topic, at least my liver does. Over the years I have managed, sold, made, promoted, etc, various categories and products, bourbon on the rocks remains number one for me. While I enjoy good red wine regularly and tequila on occasion, for me nothing matches the soothing effect, warm glow and personal enjoyment that comes with a good bourbon. Sometime we hook up we can do a tasting. I know vee and other classmates have, even those that aren't bourbon drinkers. And remember, always enjoy responsibly.

xudash
12-16-2010, 11:36 AM
If I don't at least my liver does. After 32 years in this industry, if I don't know (or remember everything due to age) the topic, at least my liver does. Over the years I have managed, sold, made, promoted, etc, various categories and products, bourbon on the rocks remains number one for me. While I enjoy good red wine regularly and tequila on occasion, for me nothing matches the soothing effect, warm glow and personal enjoyment that comes with a good bourbon. Sometime we hook up we can do a tasting. I know vee and other classmates have, even those that aren't bourbon drinkers. And remember, always enjoy responsibly.

bman, I'll take you up on that. Next time I'm up for a game, I'll shoot some emails out. We - whoever can make it - can all pitch in, you make the selections, we'll find an appropriate location, and back we'll go to some good memories through excellent liquid.

Rickmc23
12-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Basil Hayden is probably my favorite ... followed closely by Four Roses single batch.

American X
12-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Can Jack Daniels appropriately be called bourbon? My brother refers to it as bourbon and I respond it should more accurately be called Tennessee sour mash whiskey (or just Tennessee Whiskey). Closely related yes (and has requisite % of corn), but due to variances in the distillation process, Jack should not be called bourbon.

I have been told bourbon can ONLY come from Kentucky but I believe that to be apocryphal. Had a bottle of Bowman's (http://www.asmithbowman.com/home.aspx) earlier this summer in Virginia.

X Factor
12-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Can Jack Daniels appropriately be called bourbon? My brother refers to it as bourbon and I respond it should more accurately be called Tennessee sour mash whiskey (or just Tennessee Whiskey). Closely related yes (and has requisite % of corn), but due to variances in the distillation process, Jack should not be called bourbon.

I have been told bourbon can ONLY come from Kentucky but I believe that to be apocryphal. Had a bottle of Bowman's (http://www.asmithbowman.com/home.aspx) earlier this summer in Virginia.

You're right. Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon. It is Tennessee Whiskey.

All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

To be called bourbon, it has to have a grain mixture of at least 51% corn. It also has to be aged in new, charred oak barrels for a minimum of 2 years.

bourbonman
12-16-2010, 06:47 PM
You're right. Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon. It is Tennessee Whiskey.

X Factor, very good job. Jack is not a bourbon. Tennessee Whiskey has been defined as a sour mash that has been charcoal mellowed, usually through maple wood charcoal. If you haven't been to Lynchburg TN, it's well worth going off the beaten path for the tour and a visit to the town square. I recommend trying to eat at Miss Bobo's, but advance reservations are a must.

bourbonman
12-16-2010, 06:50 PM

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US, yet over 95%+ comes from Kentucky. There are distilleries popping up in San Francisco, Colorado and have been traditionally in Virginia, Missouri and Indiana ... even Minnesota. The limestone in Kentucky filters the water and makes it iron free. Iron, while it won't hurt the bourbon to my knowledge, will make it turn black.

bourbonman
12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
To be called bourbon, it has to have a grain mixture of at least 51% corn. It also has to be aged in new, charred oak barrels for a minimum of 2 years.

X Factor, a great start. Mash bill must be:

at least 51% corn, but no more than 80%
the remaining mash bill must be small grain traditionally rye and barley
wheat sometimes replaces the rye, which to my palette makes it sweeter. Maker's Mark would be the most prominent doing this
I love a bourbon that is rich in rye, an expensive grain. Bourbons that fall into this category off the top of my head include Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey. They are a bit spicier, but not a hot spicy.
A few have made a bourbon with all four grains. Woodford actually did one of their master collection editions as a four grain a few years back.

Another note on mash bills is that I find some bourbons to have a heavy corn odor, almost like a corn crib. Not sure if this comes from a domination of corn and/or influenced by the yeast choice of the distiller (see comments on yeast below). A bourbon in this direction would be Evan Williams.

And yes a minimum of 2 years in new char white oak barrels. A minimum of two years storage in Kentucky, which isn't an issue anymore since KY changed a tax law that didn't tax aging whisky. If it is aged LESS than 4 years it must be listed on the label.

Some fun facts seldom discussed. Bourbon whisky can not be distilled more than 160 proof (80% abv) and can not be put into the barrel at a proof higher than 125 (62.5% abv). Additionally, it can not be put into the bottle at less than 80 proof (40% abv).

The barrel delivers 100% of the color and around 60% of the flavor of the finished product. How a distiller requests their barrels be charred can influence the flavor. Some go with a deep alligator char (imagine deep burn) and this can make the flavor of the bourbon more harsh, at least to my palette. Jim Beam might be one of these brands. Only one distillery company in the world owns and makes its own barrels.

Age is something that some distillers brag about. And yes time in a barrel will influence the flavor. But what it really gets down to is how many times the bourbon cycles into and out of the barrel, better known as a cycle. As the bourbon warms up in the summer it expands and goes into the wood, extracting color and flavor. When it gets cold (winter) it comes out of the wood and goes to sleep. Short summers and/or long winters can influence the flavor. Barrels in upper floors of the warehouse (usually warmer) will have a different taste profile than one stored on lower floors.

Another way a distiller can improve maturation is with heated warehouses. A few have these. This is where steam from the still is used to warm up the warehouse in the winter to the medium summertime temperature and leave it there for a couple of weeks. Then windows are opened and its cooled off. Bourbon goes in and out of the wood. This can add 6 to 9 maturation cycles, depending on the year. Age means nothing ... maturation means everything. But this is expensive and many don't do this anymore, if they ever did.

Yeast is also a contributor to the flavor, as in wine. Some distillers use a dry yeast while others have nurtured theirs for decades, one even preserved it through prohibition. There may be others that I'm not aware of, but of the big and/or popular ones today they didn't even exist pre-Prohibition.

While I have influenced my opinion in my writing here, I do not mean to infer that one particular bourbon is better than others. As I say in trainings and/or tastings, it comes down to personal preference. I relate it to cookies. you might like Chocolate Chip and I prefer Oatmeal Raisin, but we both like cookies. The same with bourbon.

Enjoy what you like. But please enjoy it responsibly.

Kahns Krazy
12-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I am not a bourbon guy at all. I have tried, and will continue to try in case my palette changes, from time to time, and it's just not my thing. I just wanted to add that reading bourbonman's post was enjoyable, even though I don't sample the product.

Strange Brew
12-16-2010, 10:35 PM

You're correct, JD is a TN sour mash wiskey (and ok, it's ok) but it is not bourbon. Bourbon requires the...............who am I kidding, I'm sure bourbonman already covered this (haven't read throught the entire thread yet)

Strange Brew
12-24-2010, 12:26 AM
What is everyone's favorite Christmas bourbon concoction (sp)? I like a good Irish bourbon (coffee) during the presentation of the gifts.

Xaveriana
12-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Last night I received an early gift of some Jim Beam Red Stag (Black Cherry Jim Beam).
Pretty good for sipping--couldn't drink it all night (a little sweet).

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2009/11/jim-beam-red-stag.jpghttp://www.espn980.com/upload/beam_cheerleaders_back.jpg

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas!

X Factor
12-24-2010, 02:35 PM
My wife gave me an early Christmas present - a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel. I love the handwritten information on the label that tells you the date it was barreled on, the barrel number, and the date it was bottled. Truly a vintage bourbon.

I'm looking forward to tasting this one.

WiLdTuRkEyXU
12-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Obviously I like Wild Turkey but the other bourbons I enjoy are Woodford Reserve and Bulleit Bourbon. (delicious)

Xaveriana
12-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Another Christmas gift that keeps on giving--Bourbon. Yes!!!
This is very tasty.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/feaststl.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/e/63/ec8/e63ec8f8-b60e-11df-9a2c-0017a4a78c22-revisions/4c7ec3e0b9223.preview-300.jpg

Bourbon — June 9, 2010 5:19 pm Maker’s 46 Review
Posted by Drink Spirits

Maker's 46
When a ‘one product company’ releases their first new product after 52 years, the stakes are pretty high. Maker’s Mark, a huge contributor to the recent boom in bourbon consumption, makes a massive bet with their new product, Maker’s 46.

To put this into perspective, this move is as big a deal as when Coca Cola reformulated their product to make ‘New Coke’. The difference here is that Maker’s 46 isn’t designed to replace the standard Maker’s Mark, it’s meant to expand their offerings into a new space. Sticking with the soda analogy one moment longer, Maker’s 46 is the equivalent of Coca Cola launching Dr. Pepper. While the experience will remind you of drinking a soda, it’s a unique beverage experience in its own right.

The folks in Loretto, Kentucky can breath a sigh of relief, because unlike ‘New Coke’, Maker’s 46 is actually a marked improvement over the standard Maker’s Mark, and a move that will surely win over new fans of the brand and expand their market.

For reference, our tasting panel revisited the classic Maker’s Mark and tasted it side by side with Maker’s 46. Here’s how they fared:

Maker’s Mark Bourbon (90 Proof) – Doing a tasting of something like Maker’s takes a lot of work. You get so used to drinking something that it becomes overly familiar and you stop picking apart the tastes. It was a delight to revisit Maker’s Mark in a tasting environment. With a nice orange red / amber color, Maker’s Mark has a soft nose with notes of cinnamon, vanilla extract, oak, cedar and tobacco. The taste of Maker’s Mark is sweet caramel, vanilla, and wheat grain with undertones of cinnamon and oak. Maker’s Mark has a pretty quick finish that leaves your mouth clean and cool (a sign of great distillation). Maker’s Mark has won over a lot of new bourbon drinkers because it’s simply delicious and easy to drink.

Maker’s Mark Rating:
Highly Recommended – With its wide availability and easy drinking, Maker’s Mark is often one of the best options you can order on the rocks at a bar that you know doesn’t do cocktails well.

Maker’s 46 (94 proof) – More yellow brown / amber in color than Maker’s Mark, Maker’s 46 looks different in the glass. The nose is infinitely more complex with notes of butterscotch, vanilla bean, baked apple, bran cereal and huge maple syrup. The entry is very smooth with a fantastic mouth feel. The taste is huge cinnamon with confectioner’s sugar, bran cereal, maple and undertones of caramel, cardboard, and sweet oak. The finish is longer and much sweeter than Maker’s Mark and cleans up leaving your mouth very cool. While Maker’s 46 is unique, it still has parity of taste with Maker’s Mark as they’ve retained many of the qualities that have made Maker’s Mark so successful. Maker’s 46 builds on the excellent foundation of Maker’s Mark and represents a big step forward. We absolutely enjoyed Maker’s 46 even more than Maker’s Mark and expect it to do great things in the marketplace.

Maker’s 46 Rating:
Very Highly Recommended – Maker’s took a risk and it has paid off big time with a more complex, spicy and enjoyable spirit. We actually like Maker’s 46 even better than the original and expect it to be a huge hit in the marketplace.

Merry New Year!!!

Strange Brew
12-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Another Christmas gift that keeps on giving--Bourbon. Yes!!!
This is very tasty.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/feaststl.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/e/63/ec8/e63ec8f8-b60e-11df-9a2c-0017a4a78c22-revisions/4c7ec3e0b9223.preview-300.jpg

Bourbon — June 9, 2010 5:19 pm Maker’s 46 Review
Posted by Drink Spirits

Maker's 46
When a ‘one product company’ releases their first new product after 52 years, the stakes are pretty high. Maker’s Mark, a huge contributor to the recent boom in bourbon consumption, makes a massive bet with their new product, Maker’s 46.

To put this into perspective, this move is as big a deal as when Coca Cola reformulated their product to make ‘New Coke’. The difference here is that Maker’s 46 isn’t designed to replace the standard Maker’s Mark, it’s meant to expand their offerings into a new space. Sticking with the soda analogy one moment longer, Maker’s 46 is the equivalent of Coca Cola launching Dr. Pepper. While the experience will remind you of drinking a soda, it’s a unique beverage experience in its own right.

The folks in Loretto, Kentucky can breath a sigh of relief, because unlike ‘New Coke’, Maker’s 46 is actually a marked improvement over the standard Maker’s Mark, and a move that will surely win over new fans of the brand and expand their market.

For reference, our tasting panel revisited the classic Maker’s Mark and tasted it side by side with Maker’s 46. Here’s how they fared:

Maker’s Mark Bourbon (90 Proof) – Doing a tasting of something like Maker’s takes a lot of work. You get so used to drinking something that it becomes overly familiar and you stop picking apart the tastes. It was a delight to revisit Maker’s Mark in a tasting environment. With a nice orange red / amber color, Maker’s Mark has a soft nose with notes of cinnamon, vanilla extract, oak, cedar and tobacco. The taste of Maker’s Mark is sweet caramel, vanilla, and wheat grain with undertones of cinnamon and oak. Maker’s Mark has a pretty quick finish that leaves your mouth clean and cool (a sign of great distillation). Maker’s Mark has won over a lot of new bourbon drinkers because it’s simply delicious and easy to drink.

Maker’s Mark Rating:
Highly Recommended – With its wide availability and easy drinking, Maker’s Mark is often one of the best options you can order on the rocks at a bar that you know doesn’t do cocktails well.

Maker’s 46 (94 proof) – More yellow brown / amber in color than Maker’s Mark, Maker’s 46 looks different in the glass. The nose is infinitely more complex with notes of butterscotch, vanilla bean, baked apple, bran cereal and huge maple syrup. The entry is very smooth with a fantastic mouth feel. The taste is huge cinnamon with confectioner’s sugar, bran cereal, maple and undertones of caramel, cardboard, and sweet oak. The finish is longer and much sweeter than Maker’s Mark and cleans up leaving your mouth very cool. While Maker’s 46 is unique, it still has parity of taste with Maker’s Mark as they’ve retained many of the qualities that have made Maker’s Mark so successful. Maker’s 46 builds on the excellent foundation of Maker’s Mark and represents a big step forward. We absolutely enjoyed Maker’s 46 even more than Maker’s Mark and expect it to do great things in the marketplace.

Maker’s 46 Rating:
Very Highly Recommended – Maker’s took a risk and it has paid off big time with a more complex, spicy and enjoyable spirit. We actually like Maker’s 46 even better than the original and expect it to be a huge hit in the marketplace.

Merry New Year!!!

Well, it looks like I'll be making a trip to the liquor store on Sunday. Thank you and Merry Christmas Xaveriana

Strange Brew
12-27-2010, 10:21 PM
So, I'll be flying out West this week and I'd like to know what is everyone's favorite in flight beverage? I personally fly Delta when possible only b/c they serve Woodford on every flight.

bourbonman
12-27-2010, 10:33 PM
So, I'll be flying out West this week and I'd like to know what is everyone's favorite in flight beverage? I personally fly Delta when possible only b/c they serve Woodford on every flight.

Dude, you are a god. We hook up, bourbon is on me!

Strange Brew
12-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Dude, you are a god. We hook up, bourbon is on me!

Close......I'm a (native) Kentuckian..:D. Sounds like a plan Bourbonman. I think we should have some sort of an event for all those who have posted on this thread expressing their love for THE whiskey of choice

XavierGJG
12-27-2010, 11:29 PM
I have tried several different brands and I keep coming back to Woodford Reserve. I enjoy its' spicy but not harsh flavor. Heading to the store tomorrow to get another bottle. :D

WCWIII
12-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Just purchased Bulliet after finishing 1792 and after finishing Woodfords. Was not too happy when a cup of it went into making gravy for the Christmas turkey (the gravy was good, however) and I found a way to ease my sorrows.

X Factor
12-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Just purchased Bulliet after finishing 1792 and after finishing Woodfords. Was not too happy when a cup of it went into making gravy for the Christmas turkey (the gravy was good, however) and I found a way to ease my sorrows.

How is Bulliet and 1792? I've been wanting to try them, but haven't bought either one yet?

I've had a few pours of the Evans Williams Single Barrel that my wife bought me for Christmas. Really, really good bourbon.

Xaveriana
12-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Close......I'm a (native) Kentuckian..:D. Sounds like a plan Bourbonman. I think we should have some sort of an event for all those who have posted on this thread expressing their love for THE whiskey of choice

I like that idea. Possible rotate the location (bar or home).
Looking forward to 2011--building a new bar room in my basement (the house we moved into recently doesn't have a bar).
I can't have that. Need somewhere to drink my bourbon.
Orginally a Cincy West Sider that married a Lexingtonian (also a bourbon drinker) and moved to Union, KY.
The bourbon flows round here.

This is the bar I'd like to use as my prototype (on a smaller scale of course). My wife thinks I'm crazy. Dream Big!!! :D

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5206/5308025885_a3c2dc4bab_z.jpg

American X
01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I am a pretty faithful drinker of 1792

Mark me down for 1792

Just purchased Bulliet after finishing 1792

Due to our sibling gift exchange dissolving in acrimony, I ended up giving myself a bottle of 1792 for Christmas. I have to say it is exquisite. I think this is the beginning of a long-term relationship.

I did give one brother a bottle of Indiana bourbon - W.H. Harrison (http://www.harrisonbourbon.com/). He reports it is a little sweet.

bourbonman
01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
OK. I got in trouble last year for starting a thread on grilling recipes. Yet, I just finished this dessert and if you like bourbon, you must try this. And it's not only soooooooo good, it's sooooooo easy to make.

"Bananas Forester"

1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 bananas peeled, halved, and cut lengthwise (or dice to 1 1/2" AFTER halfed)
PLUS 1/4 cup Old Forester (see name of dessert)

In a large skillet, melt butter. Using a wooden spoon, add brown sugar and stir together. Add the bananas and cook until caramelized on both sides, over medium-high heat. Move pan off heat, add the Old Forester and return to the stove. Ignite the mixture to a flame with a long lighter. Stand back when ignited and flambe the bananas. (Be careful as a flame will shoot up above the pan. Let flame die down and the alcohol cook out.) Serve bananas over vanilla ice cream and/or a slice of pound cake.

Enjoy!

xudash
01-07-2011, 10:25 PM
ok. I got in trouble last year for starting a thread on grilling recipes. Yet, i just finished this dessert and if you like bourbon, you must try this. And it's not only soooooooo good, it's sooooooo easy to make.

"bananas forester"

1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 bananas peeled, halved, and cut lengthwise (or dice to 1 1/2" after halfed)
plus 1/4 cup old forester (see name of dessert)

in a large skillet, melt butter. Using a wooden spoon, add brown sugar and stir together. Add the bananas and cook until caramelized on both sides, over medium-high heat. Move pan off heat, add the old forester and return to the stove. Ignite the mixture to a flame with a long lighter. Stand back when ignited and flambe the bananas. (be careful as a flame will shoot up above the pan. Let flame die down and the alcohol cook out.) serve bananas over vanilla ice cream and/or a slice of pound cake.

Enjoy!

you are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange Brew
01-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Due to our sibling gift exchange dissolving in acrimony, I ended up giving myself a bottle of 1792 for Christmas. I have to say it is exquisite. I think this is the beginning of a long-term relationship.

I did give one brother a bottle of Indiana bourbon - W.H. Harrison (http://www.harrisonbourbon.com/). He reports it is a little sweet.

Picked up a bottle of 1792 based off of the endorsements made on this thread. It is excellent. Thanks to all who posted about this brand.

BENWAR
01-08-2011, 09:17 PM
OK. I got in trouble last year for starting a thread on grilling recipes. Yet, I just finished this dessert and if you like bourbon, you must try this. And it's not only soooooooo good, it's sooooooo easy to make.

"Bananas Forester"

1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 bananas peeled, halved, and cut lengthwise (or dice to 1 1/2" AFTER halfed)
PLUS 1/4 cup Old Forester (see name of dessert)

In a large skillet, melt butter. Using a wooden spoon, add brown sugar and stir together. Add the bananas and cook until caramelized on both sides, over medium-high heat. Move pan off heat, add the Old Forester and return to the stove. Ignite the mixture to a flame with a long lighter. Stand back when ignited and flambe the bananas. (Be careful as a flame will shoot up above the pan. Let flame die down and the alcohol cook out.) Serve bananas over vanilla ice cream and/or a slice of pound cake.

Enjoy!

Any recipe that starts off with a stick of butter has to be good. Adding alcohol to it can't hurt either.

X Factor
01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Just had a birthday and my wife bought me a bottle of Booker's and a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

I've had a glass of the Rare Breed, drank it neat, and wow, it was soooo good!! What a great bourbon.

Don't know when I'll try the Booker's. I want to wait for a special occasion I guess. I'll probably drink it with a splash of water to cut down the 128 proof.

I just don't like any bourbon on the rocks. I like my bourbon to be right around room temperatrue.

I got a great wife and was so happy when I saw those two bottles.

American X
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
What was that black sediment at the bottom of my bottle of Booker's?

Strange Brew
02-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Close to finishing up my first bottle of Maker's new delectible creation; Maker's 46.

Excellent, very smooth. Can't decide to buy another bottle this week or to heed the advice of one of you fine gentleman. Maybe I'll grab some Booker's. I don't believe I had that.

Live well, drink well my friends.

xu2006
02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
I assume there are some other Maker's Mark Ambassadors from this board out there, but this caught my eye in the Ambassador message today:

Bourbon Chocolate Bread pudding

2 cups whole milk
4 eggs
1/3 cup Maker's Mark Bourbon
8 ounces 72% dark chocolate, chopped
4 cups day-old French bread cubes (packed)
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together milk, eggs, and bourbon. In a large bowl, combine the liquids with the chocolate, bread cubes, and sugar. Toss to coat and set aside to soak for about 45 minutes, gently stirring once or twice.

Sounds like it could be tasty... might need to have a couple fingers of Maker's along with it.

dto
02-15-2011, 07:22 PM
I didn't look through the entire thread, but not sure if anyone has brought up Van Winkle, Special Edition 12 year. Exceptionally, exceptionally smooth. A relatively simple label, but a must drink if you've never had it. Probably the best I've ever had.

I also have the Old Rip Van Winkle, 10 yr in my cupboard, along with Maker's, Bulleit, and Elijah Craig, which if you asked my father-in-law would be his bourbon of choice. Best taste at an inexpensive price, he always says.

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/files/C_12yr90pLabel.jpg/$FILE/C_12yr90pLabel.jpg

waggy
02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
The Musketeers salute you Bob Hill.

Strange Brew
05-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Thought I'd bump my own thread on the day when the sweet nectar of bourbon county, Ky. (yes, I'm aware it was originally Va) is rightfully celebrated. That said, what is everyone's favorite Julip recipe/premix.

For me it's my mother's recipe and I'm not sharing. :D

paulxu
06-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Only one distillery company in the world owns and makes its own barrels.

Which one is that bourbonman?

On another note, Pappy's does well as seen in this article. But 23 years of aging? Somebody must have put some barrels away in a closet and forgot they were there.

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/ORVW23NEWS?opendocument

pickledpigsfeet
06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm not a bourbon (or whiskey) fan at all, ask Tardy, but I was given a chance to taste Jim Beam's new Devil's Cut and it was pretty good. I'm not sure of the price of it but it is worth a try.

Strange Brew
06-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Which one is that bourbonman?

On another note, Pappy's does well as seen in this article. But 23 years of aging? Somebody must have put some barrels away in a closet and forgot they were there.

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/ORVW23NEWS?opendocument

I'm going to guess Woodford Reserve on the barrels?

bourbonman
06-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm going to guess Woodford Reserve on the barrels?

Woodford Reserve is one of the brands. The company is Brown-Forman (where I work) and they also have Old Forester and Early Times as well as Jack Daniels (although not a bourbon but still requires new barrels).

BBC 08
02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Bumping this thread since I am currently enjoying some Bulleit on the rocks and flipping through this book that a fellow X grad and close friend gave me: link (http://www.amazon.com/Whisk-Y-Stefan-Gabanyi/dp/0789203839/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328756910&sr=8-1) Really cool book to just sit and page through.

Also wanted to share this video: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2012/01/bourbon-tasting-with-david-chang/

David Chang is currently my favorite active chef (Bourdain is probably my favorite chef overall but I don't consider him active) and he does a great job of talking about different types of bourbon.

God, bourbon is so good.

Enjoy!

paulxu
02-08-2012, 09:20 PM
God, bourbon is so good.

Who am I to argue with that?

ps. no link to book
pps. what happened in Memphis?

ballyhoohoo
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm working on a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch, very good for the price.

BBC 08
02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Thought I linked it. Either way, here you go, Paul: http://www.amazon.com/Whisk-Y-Stefan-Gabanyi/dp/0789203839/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328756910&sr=8-1

As for Memphis, that is a long story. I was enjoying the day with Stl XU and mutual friends at Silky's. In a roundabout way met Glow since he offered everyone at our table his extra ticket to the FedEx box. None of us took it since we were set ticket wise but looking back, that was a terrible choice and I regret not saying yes.

The game is a whole other story. Played great for 32 minutes then went into stall mode with about 7:30 left. I clearly remember saying something to someone in our group about it and how it was way too early to stall. Then we shit the bed the rest of the game.

Game over, grab food at the Flying Fish. Had an underwhelming Shrimp Po Boy then headed back home to Nashville. On my way home I get into an accident and am now driving without a front bumper.

It was one hell of a Saturday.

Strange Brew
02-08-2012, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=BBC 08;322171]God, bourbon is so good.
QUOTE]

BBC is a great human being regardless of what Titan says.

Strange Brew
02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm working on a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch, very good for the price.

One of my personal favorite bottles bally. However, if anyone can find me another bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel 10/31, I'd be willing to pay double, maybe even triple market price for it. That was one special barrel of bourbon.

paulxu
02-09-2012, 07:29 AM
It was one hell of a Saturday.

Damn. Glad you made it home. We need you for the next game.

Thanks for the link.

Muskie
02-09-2012, 07:40 AM
I find it strange that this thread was not started by Bourbonman.

paulxu
02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Have no idea where to put this link. But since they mentioned Bourbon, and I agree it should be in this list, I'm putting it here.

BBC, you're in Nashvegas...right? Have you tried these guys' restuarant and/or Allan Benton's Bacon?

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/02/14/55-why-its-different-in-the-south/?hpt=hp_c2

BBC 08
02-14-2012, 09:15 PM
I am but I unfortunately have not been to that place or tried that bacon. I hear good things and it is in the same building as the great Patterson House. PH has some great bourbon drinks so if anyone is in Nashville and have some time to kill, stop by and enjoy a beverage.

Muskie
02-20-2012, 08:30 AM
A nice article (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/02/16/presidential-whiskey/?intcmp=features) about the whiskey/bourbon's that exist today that were enjoyed by the Presidents.

spazzrico
02-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Have no idea where to put this link. But since they mentioned Bourbon, and I agree it should be in this list, I'm putting it here.

BBC, you're in Nashvegas...right? Have you tried these guys' restuarant and/or Allan Benton's Bacon?

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/02/14/55-why-its-different-in-the-south/?hpt=hp_c2

Speaking of bacon. I went to a super-awesome too-expensive-for-me restaurant (http://www.americangr.com/index.html) this weekend in Greenville. They had bacon infused bourbon on the menu. It was expensive & we had a budget so I did not try. But I'll be back!

Xaveriana
02-20-2012, 08:55 PM
New Favorite Bourbon...Jim Beam Devil's Cut
As bourbon ages, a portion of the liquid is lost from the barrel due to evaporation—that's the "Angel's Share." After aging, when the bourbon is dumped out of the barrel, a certain amount of whiskey is left trapped within the wood of every barrel. We call that the "devil's cut."

To create Jim Beam® Devil's Cut™, an extraordinary new bourbon experience, we developed a proprietary process that actually pulls the rich whiskey trapped inside the barrels' wood after they're emptied. We hold this barrel-treated extract until it develops the proper balance of bourbon notes, then blend it with 6 year old bourbon and bottle at 90 proof. The result: a robust, premium bourbon with deep color, aroma and character.

A distinctly bold bourbon with rich flavor unleashed from deep inside the barrel wood.

The TasteFull bodied with intense oak and vanilla notes.

The FinishLong, smooth, with a hint of sweetness.

http://www.whiskybotschafter.com/tl_files/img/Blog/JB_Devils_Cut_2.jpg

Strange Brew
02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
A nice article (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/02/16/presidential-whiskey/?intcmp=features) about the whiskey/bourbon's that exist today that were enjoyed by the Presidents.

Nice! I was disappointed to read that Abe preferred rye rather than bourbon. He was a native Kentuckian after all.

joebba
03-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Elijah Craig 18 year. This bourbon is the best I have tried. I also like 1792 (very similar to EC 18 yr.) Both have a spicy character and are very smooth.

Best everyday inexpensive bourbon - Buffalo Trace.

Muskie
03-18-2012, 01:18 PM
What is a good starter bourbon for someone who already likes craft beer (so has a little bit of pallet development) ?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

joebba
03-18-2012, 01:24 PM
What is a good starter bourbon for someone who already likes craft beer (so has a little bit of pallet development) ?

1792 is a good one for a developed pallet. Complex (blended small batch), not too expensive.

I've tried Knob Creek - did not like it.

Woddford reserve - tastes medicinal to me.

X Factor
03-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Elijah Craig 12 Yr

Buffalo Trace

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Eagle Rare 10 Yr

These are four of my favorite bourbons, and you should be able to get them all for under $30 a bottle.

Strange Brew
03-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Four Roses small batch.

paulxu
03-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Makers.

And then Makers 46.

I would not steer you wrong. Maybe not as good as some small batch stuff, but for the money the easiest and nicest on the palate.

Muskie
03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm looking for something that would keep in my office. That I could enjoy after a trial or something.!

Porkopolis
03-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I had some Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale on draft at Bakersfield in OTR tonight. Worth a shot if you can find it on tap, I've heard it loses a lot in bottles. The draft version was smooth and enjoyable.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/beer/Pages/KentuckyBourbonBarrelAle.aspx

chico
03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm looking for something that would keep in my office. That I could enjoy after a trial or something.!

Pappy. If you can find it, it's well worth it.

paulxu
03-22-2012, 11:47 AM

American X
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
What is a good starter bourbon for someone who already likes craft beer (so has a little bit of pallet development)?

Muskie, I present you your answer:

I am a pretty faithful drinker of 1792

Mark me down for 1792

finishing 1792

Picked up a bottle of 1792 based off of the endorsements made on this thread. It is excellent. Thanks to all who posted about this brand.

I also like 1792.

1792 is a good one for a developed pallet. Complex (blended small batch), not too expensive.

http://www.bourbonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1792_Ridgemont_reserve_bourbon.jpg

bourbonman
08-19-2012, 04:41 PM
X Factor, a great start. Mash bill must be:

at least 51% corn, but no more than 80% the remaining mash bill must be small grain traditionally rye and barley
wheat sometimes replaces the rye, which to my palette makes it sweeter. Maker's Mark would be the most prominent doing this
I love a bourbon that is rich in rye, an expensive grain. Bourbons that fall into this category off the top of my head include Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey. They are a bit spicier, but not a hot spicy.
A few have made a bourbon with all four grains. Woodford actually did one of their master collection editions as a four grain a few years back.

Another note on mash bills is that I find some bourbons to have a heavy corn odor, almost like a corn crib. Not sure if this comes from a domination of corn and/or influenced by the yeast choice of the distiller (see comments on yeast below). A bourbon in this direction would be Evan Williams.

And yes a minimum of 2 years in new char white oak barrels. A minimum of two years storage in Kentucky, which isn't an issue anymore since KY changed a tax law that didn't tax aging whisky. If it is aged LESS than 4 years it must be listed on the label.

Some fun facts seldom discussed. Bourbon whisky can not be distilled more than 160 proof (80% abv) and can not be put into the barrel at a proof higher than 125 (62.5% abv). Additionally, it can not be put into the bottle at less than 80 proof (40% abv).

The barrel delivers 100% of the color and around 60% of the flavor of the finished product. How a distiller requests their barrels be charred can influence the flavor. Some go with a deep alligator char (imagine deep burn) and this can make the flavor of the bourbon more harsh, at least to my palette. Jim Beam might be one of these brands. Only one distillery company in the world owns and makes its own barrels.

Age is something that some distillers brag about. And yes time in a barrel will influence the flavor. But what it really gets down to is how many times the bourbon cycles into and out of the barrel, better known as a cycle. As the bourbon warms up in the summer it expands and goes into the wood, extracting color and flavor. When it gets cold (winter) it comes out of the wood and goes to sleep. Short summers and/or long winters can influence the flavor. Barrels in upper floors of the warehouse (usually warmer) will have a different taste profile than one stored on lower floors.

Another way a distiller can improve maturation is with heated warehouses. A few have these. This is where steam from the still is used to warm up the warehouse in the winter to the medium summertime temperature and leave it there for a couple of weeks. Then windows are opened and its cooled off. Bourbon goes in and out of the wood. This can add 6 to 9 maturation cycles, depending on the year. Age means nothing ... maturation means everything. But this is expensive and many don't do this anymore, if they ever did.

Yeast is also a contributor to the flavor, as in wine. Some distillers use a dry yeast while others have nurtured theirs for decades, one even preserved it through prohibition. There may be others that I'm not aware of, but of the big and/or popular ones today they didn't even exist pre-Prohibition.

While I have influenced my opinion in my writing here, I do not mean to infer that one particular bourbon is better than others. As I say in trainings and/or tastings, it comes down to personal preference. I relate it to cookies. you might like Chocolate Chip and I prefer Oatmeal Raisin, but we both like cookies. The same with bourbon.

Enjoy what you like. But please enjoy it responsibly.

I blew this stat. Actually with further learnings, bourbon can be made from 100% corn. Not sure how it would taste, but there is no limit on the amount of corn.

The reason for my confusion is that corn whiskey must be a minimum of 80% corn and up to 100%. I assumed (incorrectly so) that this disqualified it from being a bourbon. What would make corn whiskey NOT a bourbon is that is must be aged in UN-CHARRED barrels. Basically this leaves corn whiskey without color and with the strong smell or corn, such as corn chips.

Sorry for the confusion. I should know better!

Muskie
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Apparently Bourbon is the best Spirit Value for Lawyers. (per the Lawyerist (http://lawyerist.com/bourbon-is-the-best-spirit-value/))

xudash
08-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Thank you guys for bringing this thread back up to the top at this time.

Everyone have a toast to Xavier and Xavier basketball if you're so inclined. I am.

ballyhoohoo
08-23-2012, 08:53 PM
I just started a bottle of Russell's Reserve ten year old small batch. I must say, well done layered and complicated with a sweet spot to it.

It's not with my preference of Four Roses and 1792, but better then Bulliet

Muskie
08-24-2012, 08:07 AM
I just started a bottle of Russell's Reserve ten year old small batch. I must say, well done layered and complicated with a sweet spot to it.

It's not with my preference of Four Roses and 1792, but better then Bulliet

Your texts were clutch at the liquor store yesterday.

ballyhoohoo
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Your texts were clutch at the liquor store yesterday.

Did you open your bottle yet?

joebba
08-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Has anyone had Elijah Craig 18 year (I belive it is a single barrel). I have and it is my personal best. Smooth woth spicy character. 1792 is very simlilar, od couse cheaper as a smal batch blend.

bourbonman
08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Has anyone had Elijah Craig 18 year (I belive it is a single barrel).

Vee and I (along with other X classmates that don't post on here) recently visited Heaven Hill Distillery in Bardstown and had this as a sample along with their Evan Williams Single Barrel. I was surprised how I enjoyed Elijah Craig. I was also surprised with their openness when I asked the difference between the two products ... which they honestly stated they were the same, EXCEPT the amount of time in the barrel. They did not claim it to be a single barrel product. I did buy some at barrel proof and am looking forward to trying some in front of the fire outside as soon as it cools off a bit. I actually talked with some folks about how I enjoyed it and their concern was that how long will they have enough 18 year old aged product and what will the brand become in the future. Well, right now I'll live for the moment and enjoy what I have. HURRY UP COOL WEATHER!

paulxu
08-24-2012, 05:04 PM
I suggest a Xavierhoops group tour of the distilleries in Kentucky, hosted and led by Bourbonman.

bourbonman
08-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I suggest a Xavierhoops group tour of the distilleries in Kentucky, hosted and led by Bourbonman.

I'm all in. A bad day at a distillery is better than a good day at work or even a great day in Dayton (if that's even possible). :unsure:

Strange Brew
08-24-2012, 07:27 PM

I'm in, who's driving??

vee4xu
08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm all in. A bad day at a distillery is better than a good day at work or even a great day in Dayton (if that's even possible). :unsure:

Let me just tell everyone here though I may be biased, bourbonman is the single best authority for distilled spirits. He has done sample presentations for bourbon and single malt scotch. He has worked in wines too. For nearly 35 years b-man has been honing his skills in the area of booze. If you want a treat, be around when b-man is talking (and drinking) spirits. Seriously, the dude knows his shit!

eXdrummer
09-28-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm no bourbon aficionado, but I grabbed a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel on sale tonight. Pretty intense, but quite good to my unsophisticated palate (I'm typically more of a beer man).

RealDeal
10-04-2012, 04:19 PM
This whiskey is all I drink.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/comapany-claims-booze-touched-breasts-bottling-article-1.1172175#ixzz28GX1h0YN

ArizonaXUGrad
10-04-2012, 04:31 PM
This whiskey is all I drink.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/comapany-claims-booze-touched-breasts-bottling-article-1.1172175#ixzz28GX1h0YN

Wait what? I must have missed the whiskey.

Strange Brew
10-20-2012, 07:49 PM
The lovely Mrs Brew treated me to a visit to Gods country today where we toured Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark (we also stopped by my Dads HS alma mater in Bardstown) As a result, I'm enjoying a lovely pour of Blantons, smelling the aroma of our bourbon scented candle and can't wait to figure out what we're going to do with half bourbon barrel she picked up from Buffalo Trace.

I pouring glass number two now. Anyone else care to sip one this evening? If so, what are you drinking these days?

Strange Brew
10-20-2012, 07:50 PM
What barrel number and where did you buy it? I love a great four roses SB

Sorry that was directed towards exdummer

Muskie
11-29-2012, 10:53 AM
So who's had this stuff: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/11/29/bourbon-that-cant-get-your-hands-on/http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/11/29/bourbon-that-cant-get-your-hands-on/?intcmp=features

chico
11-29-2012, 11:03 AM
I have a bottle of the 20 year old. It's very, very good but so is the 12 year old. If you like wheated bourbons this is the best, but for the money, you'd probably be better off with something like Weller.

bourbonman
11-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I have a bottle of the 20 year old. It's very, very good but so is the 12 year old. If you like wheated bourbons this is the best, but for the money, you'd probably be better off with something like Weller.

This is where it falls apart for me. I personally am not a fan of the sweeter style the wheat brings out.

Now if you want to talk rye content, I'm in. I tried a bourbon from High West (out of Park City, Utah) that as I recall had a rye content in excess of 30%. I thought it was very nice! They also had rye whiskes as well as something they called a bourye, which was a batching of their bourbon and rye whiskies. I preferred the bourbon at the end of the day. Finally, the had some unaged bourbon made with oat. I didn't try it since I'm not a fan of unaged whisky, but I am looking forward to trying some when they have some aged. Yet, I image the oat will yield a lighter style as well.

Love the part of my job that I have to attend all these whisky fests around the country. Thanksfully, the liver is the one organ that regenerates itself.

chico
11-29-2012, 11:25 AM
It definitely comes down to taste with all the different types of bourbon. I have a sweeter tooth so the wheated ones appeal to me. The ryed ones are a little too much on the spiced side for me.

Bourbonman, you are one lucky man. What a great job to have.

xu95
11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry, I'm lazy and do not feel like going through the whole thread. There is a new bar in Vegas called the Bourbon Room where they have 100s of different types of bourbon. What would be the top 5 I should try?

xu95
01-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm going to take the Bourbon Trail tour in March. Any advice on which towns I should make sure I am in to spend the night and where there might be some good restaurants? I'm assuming I won't want to rush it and the trip will take two days.

pickledpigsfeet
01-10-2013, 09:34 AM
If you're looking for an experience over a really nice place to stay, stay at the Talbott Inn. http://www.talbotts.com/ Cool old place with only 5 rooms that hosted the likes of Lincoln, Jefferson, Jesse James, etc. along with a bar and restaurant. They've got a lot of bourbon choices and everyone there has a thought about bourbon that they'll be glad to share with you.

Whether you stay there or not, eat at the restaurant and get the fried chicken but allow for about 30 minutes for it to come out. Their hot brown isn't bad either.

If you do stay there, head to the bar and asked the bartenders about the place being haunted. The last time I was there legit ghost hunters sat next to me at the bar and started asking questions about the place and I got to hear some crazy stories. They also asked if they could see the Lincoln Room (one of the 5 rooms) because they understood it was the most haunted but were told they would have to ask the guest of the room. That was me but I didn't speak up because I didn't want to know what they may find after hearing the stories I'd just heard and I had two nights to stay there.

Still worth it and a neat place to check out. Oh, and if you do stay and its a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, ask to stay over the restaurant/kitchen side or prepare to drink enough to pass out so the band in the bar doesn't keep you awake.

bourbonman
01-11-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm going to take the Bourbon Trail tour in March. Any advice on which towns I should make sure I am in to spend the night and where there might be some good restaurants? I'm assuming I won't want to rush it and the trip will take two days.

XU95, come on down! I'm going to attach a couple of links to help you in your planning. AND you already nailed it, you will need more than one day because it's pretty much spread out over country roads. Plus, the time spent at each distillery could be long since some of the more popular ones may not have a tour time exactly when you show up, so you may have to wait. Saturday and Sunday afternoons are tough, especailly when it starts warming up.

First, Pickled did well in his suggestion of Old Talbott Inn in Bardstown. Even if all you do is eat there, it's a neat spot. Linked here is the page on the Bourbon Trail site for accomodations and restaurants along the trail. http://kybourbontrail.com/index.php/guide/restaurants-and-hotels/
In Bardstown I also like Kurtz Restaurant. While good old family restaurant they have the best of Kentucky cooking going.

Make sure you get a Passport at the first stop.[/U] Once you complete all stops and send it in, they will send you a nice t-shirt for your tour.

Next I would suggest if you have time to look into the Urban Bourbon Trail in Losuivlle. http://www.gotolouisville.com/play/tours-itineraries/bourbon-country-urban-bourbon-trail/index.aspx It hits more of the hot spots in Losuiville that focus on a wide selection of bourbon and dishes prepared with bourbon. Yet it also includes the option of seeing a cooperage. To me seeing a cooperage really completes the visit to bourbon country because you not only do you see them in action you gain an understanding on how 100% of the color and 60+% of the flavor comes from the barrel. These tours can only be booked through Mint Julep Tours.

To that end, Mint Julep Tours might be a strong option for you to do the entire trip. http://www.mintjuleptours.com/Bourbon-Trail-Tour.html They do the driving, they know where they're going and they can fill in with stories and additional information along the way. Plus, you may be able to enjoy a bit more sampling.

A final caution, there are numerous spots and distilleries not on either one of the trails mentioned above. Once you hit trail highlights, come back and hit some more.

Good luck with the visit. I try to go out and hit a distillery or two once or twice a month just to keep up with what's going on. I learn somethingwith every visit.

X-man
01-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Maker's (the original) is my every day bourbon, but I also have bottles of Woodford, Pappy 23, and Blanton's in the house currently. However my favorite bourbon at the moment is one that no one has mentioned...Angel's Envy. It is expensive, but truly heavenly. And it's available only in Kentucky I believe.

xu95
01-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the input.

bourbonman
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Maker's (the original) is my every day bourbon, but I also have bottles of Woodford, Pappy 23, and Blanton's in the house currently. However my favorite bourbon at the moment is one that no one has mentioned...Angel's Envy. It is expensive, but truly heavenly. And it's available only in Kentucky I believe.

It's available beyond KY and I've seen it in CA, NY, FL ... well basically across the country. Be careful, it is NOT a bourbon. Even if you start with bourbon (as this product does), once you "finish" in another barrel that is not oak, or infuse it with other flavors, such as port, it loses it classification as a bourbon. You may still like it but it's technically not a bourbon. Same deal for Jack Daniels. JD has the same guidelines as bourbons, but the charcoal mellowing elimnates it from being a bourbon. Just FYI.

X-man
01-11-2013, 12:17 PM
It's available beyond KY and I've seen it in CA, NY, FL ... well basically across the country. Be careful, it is NOT a bourbon. Even if you start with bourbon (as this product does), once you "finish" in another barrel that is not oak, or infuse it with other flavors, such as port, it loses it classification as a bourbon. You may still like it but it's technically not a bourbon. Same deal for Jack Daniels. JD has the same guidelines as bourbons, but the charcoal mellowing elimnates it from being a bourbon. Just FYI.

Well it is called bourbon on the Angel's website, so I'm guessing that it is still classified as a bourbon. Here is the link:http://www.angelsenvy.com/?/home. But don't take their word for it; here's the Bourbon Enthusiast site, which also calls it a bourbon: http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php?id=605&task=displaybottling.

More importantly, I suppose, it tastes more like a bourbon (to me at least, and other big bourbon drinkers I know) than other bourbons such as the Pappy23.

X-man
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM

That is good to hear. Sadly, at least for the moment, it is not available in Ohio. Happily, for me at least, Cincinnati is very close to Kentucky.

bourbonman
02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
For you MM lovers, it looks like it will remain 90 proof.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=18524914&ref=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252Furl%253F sa%253Dt%2526source%253Dweb%2526cd%253D11%2526ved% 253D0CEwQqQIwCg%2526url%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%252 52Fabcnews.go.com%25252FUS%25252FwireStory%25252Fm akers-mark-restore-alcohol-content-whiskey-18524914%2526ei%253DvRUhUZWyAY2v0AGcioCwDQ%2526usg %253DAFQjCNEvX4x43z3-TRKLu5ArsVjZ-Uil5A%2526rct%253Dj

Enjoy.

oddblob
02-17-2013, 02:15 PM
This is where it falls apart for me. I personally am not a fan of the sweeter style the wheat brings out.

Now if you want to talk rye content, I'm in. I tried a bourbon from High West (out of Park City, Utah) that as I recall had a rye content in excess of 30%. I thought it was very nice! They also had rye whiskes as well as something they called a bourye, which was a batching of their bourbon and rye whiskies. I preferred the bourbon at the end of the day. Finally, the had some unaged bourbon made with oat. I didn't try it since I'm not a fan of unaged whisky, but I am looking forward to trying some when they have some aged. Yet, I image the oat will yield a lighter style as well.

Love the part of my job that I have to attend all these whisky fests around the country. Thanksfully, the liver is the one organ that regenerates itself.

High West is awesome. Highly recommend Rendezvous Rye and Double! Rye.

paulxu
02-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks MM. Maybe the customer is king?

Lloyd Braun
02-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Anyone else try Bulleit's 10 year? I came away impressed but I am easily please when it comes to bourbon. Nice long finish is my only (amateur) tasting note.

Mel Cooley XU'81
03-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Big Bourbon article in this weekend's Wall Street Journal.

If this is behind the firewall, I apologize.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324532004578362663959730642.html?m od=WeekendHeader_Rotator

Porkopolis
03-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Picked up some Woodford Reserve Distillers Select for the weekend. Looking forward to my evening even more now.

ballyhoohoo
04-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Anyone ever had Sezerac Rye?

LA Muskie
04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Anyone ever had Sezerac Rye?

The brand? Yes. Avoid it. Now the cocktail? Awesome. Just lived off them for 4 days in New Orleans...

ballyhoohoo
04-05-2013, 08:54 PM
The brand? Yes. Avoid it. Now the cocktail? Awesome. Just lived off them for 4 days in New Orleans...

I actually just had a Sezerac and ginger beer at a place in Chattanooga and enjoyed it.

LA Muskie
04-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I actually just had a Sezerac and ginger beer at a place in Chattanooga and enjoyed it.

Sure. But ginger beer could make just about anything taste good.

paulxu
06-16-2013, 06:19 AM
In addition to June 14th being flag day, and my wife's birthday...it is also National Bourbon day.

I decided to celebrate this year for all you G effectors. It's taken me this long to surface to let you know I did it in style.

You're welcome.

LA Muskie
06-16-2013, 10:21 AM
In addition to June 14th being flag day, and my wife's birthday...it is also National Bourbon day.

I decided to celebrate this year for all you G effectors. It's taken me this long to surface to let you know I did it in style.

You're welcome.

What'd you go with?

paulxu
06-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Makers. (old school)

Porkopolis
06-28-2013, 07:24 PM
We spent last weekend in Bardstown with some friends for a bourbon vacation. Hit up the Heaven Hill, Maker's and Beam tours. Also dined at the Chapeze House where the mint julep is unrivaled. The owner's knowledge of bourbon is staggering and he and the bartender are a blast to talk to. I highly recommend a trip to Bourbon Country and plan to go back to tour more Distilleries next month.

Strange Brew
06-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Bardstown is an interesting place and near and dear to my heart as it was the home of my Dad's high school Alma Mater, St. Joe Prep. Both he and my Uncle are '68 X grads and they're not twins.....

GoMuskies
06-28-2013, 10:41 PM
I thought Bourbon County was dry.

Oh, you said Bourbon Country. Sorry.

Porkopolis
08-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Enjoying a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 Year. Like everything Jimmy Russell distills it is very, very good.

LA Muskie
08-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Just had my 3rd Basil Hayden neat. Happy.

Xaveriana
08-03-2013, 12:11 PM

Love BH! Trying to get my hands on a 27-year-old Pappy Van Winkle. One store in Northern KY gets a few cases one day a year...$300'ish per bottle.

Xaveriana
08-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Came across this recently--very interesting for Bourbon Lovers!

Jim Beam Distillery, Clermont
- Baker's (small batch)
- Basil Hayden's (small batch)
- Booker's (small batch)
- Old Crow
- Jim Beam (also made at Booker Noe Distillery)
- Knob Creek (small batch)
- Old Grand-Dad
- Red Stag
- Devil's Cut
- Jim Beam White
- Jim Beam Honey

Maker's Mark Distillery, Loretto
- Maker's Mark (small batch, wheated)
- Maker's 46 (small batch, wheated)

Woodford Reserve Distillery, Versailles
- Woodford Reserve (small batch)

Sazerac brands: Barton 1972 Distillery, Bardstown
- 1792 Ridgemont Reserve (small batch)
- Kentucky Gentleman
- Kentucky Tavern
- Ten High
- Tom Moore
- Very Old Barton

Buffalo Trace Distillery, Frankfort
- Ancient Age
- Blanton's (single barrel)
- Buffalo Trace
- Eagle Rare (single barrel)
- Elmer T. Lee (single barrel)
- George T. Stagg (barrel proof, uncut, unfiltered)
- Hancock's President's Reserve (single barrel)
- McAfee's Benchmark
- Old Charter
- Old Rip Van Winkle (an Old Rip Van Winkle / Sazerac joint venture brand), (wheated)
- Old Taylor (Clermont)
- Pappy Van Winkle — (an Old Rip Van Winkle / Sazerac joint venture brand), (wheated)
- Rock Hill Farms Single-Barrel (single barrel)
- W. L. Weller (wheated)

Wild Turkey Distillery, Lawrenceburg
- Russell's Reserve
- Wild Turkey

Brown-Forman Distillery, Shively
- Early Times
- Old Forester

Heaven Hill Distillery, Bardstown
- Cabin Still
- Daniel Stewart
- Echo Springs
- Elijah Craig (12-year small batch and 18-year single barrel)
- Evan Williams
- Heaven Hill
- Henry McKenna
- I. W. Harper
- Fighting Cock
- J. T. S. Brown
- J. W. Dant
- Mattingly & Moore
- Old Fitzgerald (wheated)
- Old Heaven Hill
- Parker's Heritage Collection
- T. W. Samuels
- Red State Bourbon
- Blue State Bourbon

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (KBD), Bardstown
- Kentucky Vintage (small batch)
- Noah's Mill (small batch)
- Old Bardstown
- Pure Kentucky XO (small batch)
- Rowan's Creek (small batch)
- Vintage Bourbon
- Willett Family Reserve (single barrel)
- Willett Pot Still Reserve (single barrel)

Bottled by KBD
- Black Maple Hill (a CVI brand) (small batch)
- Corner Creek (a Corner Creek brand) (limited distribution)
- Old Pogue (a Pogue brand) (small batch)

Luxco brands: Heaven Hill Distillery, Louisville
- Bourbon Supreme
- David Nicholson 1843
- Ezra Brooks
- Old Ezra 101
- Rebel Reserve
- Rebel Yell (wheated)
- Yellowstone

Castle brands
- Jefferson's
- Sam Houston

Other brands
- Bulleit Bourbon — A Diageo brand. May be partially produced by Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, though this is disputed by Four Roses
- Four Roses — Four Roses Distillery (a Kirin brand), Lawrenceburg
- Wathen's — Distillery unidentified (single barrel)

Porkopolis
08-03-2013, 01:51 PM

I love Basil Hayden. It is one of the free tastings on the Beam tour, btw.

Xavierana, I had a taste of 23 year old Pappy in Bardstown. Oh. My. Goodness. Can only imagine what the 27 is like.

LA Muskie
08-03-2013, 02:09 PM

Xavierana, I had a taste of 23 year old Pappy in Bardstown. Oh. My. Goodness. Can only imagine what the 27 is like.

I think the 23 year Pappy just won some sort of award. I think that's my next bottle. Christmas can't come soon enough.

Xaveriana
08-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Typo - I meant to type 23 year old, not 27. :-|

Xaveriana
08-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23yr

http://battellemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ManyPappys-1024x764.jpg

23 Year, 95.6 Proof - Owned by the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery (despite not actually owning or operating a distillery), Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve is considered the flagship brand of bourbon whiskey, and often regarded as one of the finest bourbons in the world. Since 2002, the Van Winkle brands have been distilled and bottled by the Sazerac Company, and much like the aforementioned Ben Nevins bourbon, its extremely low supply drives demand, and therefore price, through the roof (we're learning economy stuff!). The company ages a corn, wheat, and barley malt in charred oak bottles for 15, 20, and 23 years - much longer aging periods than most bourbons. The 23-year old bottle comes in at about 95.6 proof, as Pappy Von Winkle's ghost personally siphons money from your bank account at an approximate rate of $65 per ounce. This whiskey should be enjoyed neat. Any ice or water will dilute the uniqueness. Rated “Five Stars”

Pappy Van Winkle, The Bourbon So Popular Even Billionaires Can’t Find It
July 8, 2013, 4:51 PM By Tom Gara
http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/07/08/meet-the-bourbon-so-popular-even-billionaires-cant-find-a-bottle/

You could call it bourbon, or you could call it a $5,000 bottle of liquified, barrel-aged unobtanium. Its fans refer to it as Pappy, when they’re lucky enough to get a sniff of it, and those times are few and far between.

The web has yet to catch on to this very lively feature piece in Louisville Magazine this month, taking a look at Pappy Van Winkle, the Kentucky bourbon that is by all accounts one of the most sought-after bottles of booze on earth.

Its distillers pump out from 7,000 to 8,000 cases each year, 12 bottles to the case, and hope that within a decade they can double that to 15,000. Jim Beam, by comparison, makes 7-8 million cases per year. So the Beam:Pappy ratio is about 1000:1.

Why is there so little supply of a Bourbon so delicious people put themselves on a 500 person waiting list for one of 20 bottles available each year at their local supplier?

Because it’s aged for between 10 and 23 years, meaning the amount of Pappy on the market today is a reflection of the business outlook the company was facing in the 1990s. That was back before the great bourbon renaissance, before the resurgence of public interest in whiskey. And that means there is very little of it to go around.

Each year’s batch of Pappy is released in a single go, with a state-by-state allocation (and a small international allocation making its way to London). The priority is to get the bottles to “good homes” — bars or distributors that have long-running credibility as appreciators of good bourbon have the best shot at getting their hands on some. The company has resisted the temptation to simply sell it all to the highest bidder.

And while a thriving secondary market can push the cost of a bottle to the $5,000 mark, it’s still a hard to find item. Julian Preston Van Winkle, the scion of the family dynasty that produces the drink, put it simply to Louisville Magazine:

“There’s nobody else in our situation. I can’t think of another product, period. Ferrari, Lamborghini? But if you have the means, you can get one of those. That’s not necessarily true with us. We have people with literally billions of dollars who can’t find a bottle. They could buy a private jet in cash. They’d have an easier time buying our company.”

The whole article is really worth a read. But one last line that caught our eye: Why isn’t the company massively boosting production now, knowing that it will be sitting on a gold mine in 20 years?

Julian Proctor Van Winkle, the chief of the company, explains his caution against going all in: “They legalize marijuana, and nobody is drinking bourbon anymore. I don’t want to get caught with a bunch of whiskey.”

Update: While certain particularly sought-after bottles have sold in the $5,000 range, we should point out that the regular stuff is often sold for considerably less — this online store was selling a 23-year old bottle for $570 and the 10-year old for $116, although they are currently sold out.

Porkopolis
08-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Typo - I meant to type 23 year old, not 27. :-|

Ah, that explains why I'd never heard of it. :laugh:

I hope you get to try the 23, you won't be disappointed.

Porkopolis
08-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Sipping on some Four Roses Single Barrel with my wife. Happy Friday to me.

X-man
08-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Ah, that explains why I'd never heard of it. :laugh:

I hope you get to try the 23, you won't be disappointed.

I have a bottle of the "23" at home, mostly gone at this point. The bourbon was unlike any other bourbon I have ever tried. It also was a gift (thankfully) from a friend whose husband passed away unexpectedly and left her with many many bottles of Makers plus this Pappy bottle. The bottle number suggests that the bottle itself dates to the 1980's.

Titanxman04
08-16-2013, 01:25 PM
I have a bottle of the "23" at home, mostly gone at this point. The bourbon was unlike any other bourbon I have ever tried. It also was a gift (thankfully) from a friend whose husband passed away unexpectedly and left her with many many bottles of Makers plus this Pappy bottle. The bottle number suggests that the bottle itself dates to the 1980's.

I actually enjoy the 21 year old as opposed to the 23. But both are very, very good.

X-man
08-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Since I am down to the last quarter bottle of the magnificent "23", I just open the bottle and take a big sniff when I want to get a "taste" of that wonderful stuff. The nose on that stuff is a thing of beauty.

LA Muskie
10-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Working on a bottle of Booker's. The guy recommended it after I told him I thought Basil Hayden's was too delicate. He apparently went with the complete opposite. This shit is bold. Too bold, I think.

Xaveriana
10-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Working on a bottle of Booker's. The guy recommended it after I told him I thought Basil Hayden's was too delicate. He apparently went with the complete opposite. This shit is bold. Too bold, I think.

Completely agree! Bought a bottle last month. That Sh!t is harsh...high proof.

Buying a $200 share of a barrel of W.L. Weller Special Reserve. This will allow me to pick the barrel by sampling in Jan 2014 and receive at least 12 bottles by March depending on the Angel's Share. Never had this but it receives a high rating. Anyone with experience?

Best new bourbon I have tried is Rowan's Creek. Very nice.

Porkopolis
10-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Veering slightly off topic, but does anyone in here enjoy single malt scotch? If so, what are some recommendations? The wife bought a Glenmorangie gift pack for me and I've enjoyed it so far, but I know there is much better out there.

chico
10-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Completely agree! Bought a bottle last month. That Sh!t is harsh...high proof.

Buying a $200 share of a barrel of W.L. Weller Special Reserve. This will allow me to pick the barrel by sampling in Jan 2014 and receive at least 12 bottles by March depending on the Angel's Share. Never had this but it receives a high rating. Anyone with experience?

Best new bourbon I have tried is Rowan's Creek. Very nice.

Weller is a very good bourbon - have a bottle of the 12 year and I would highly recommend it. Good choice.

LA Muskie
10-06-2013, 10:34 AM
A friend brought me a bottle of Four Roses single barrel last night. Loved it. Plenty of flavor and body, but not over the top (like Booker's).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Porkopolis
10-06-2013, 11:19 AM
A friend brought me a bottle of Four Roses single barrel last night. Loved it. Plenty of flavor and body, but not over the top (like Booker's).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oak, oak and more oak. I love Four Roses Single Barrel.

Xaveriana
10-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Party Source Superstore in Northern Kentucky opened at 8:00 AM this morning to a couple hundred people in line for the coveted Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and Pappy Van Winkle (20, 15, 10). Unfortunately no 23 released this year to the store. I was approximately 140TH in line (arrived at 6:30AM). The first 3 groups in line had tents and arrived more than a day earlier. Anyone that doesn't believe bourbon is on fire right now need only see the line this morning. Many good, rarer bourbons to choose from:

Sales were limited to the customer’s choice of one bottle of the following per person/household, on a first come basis, while supplies last:

- George T. Stagg
- Eagle Rare 17 Year
- William Larue Weller
- Sazerac 18 Year Rye
- Thomas H. Handy Rye
- Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year
- Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year
- Van Winkle 13 Year Rye

Additionally, customers may request one bottle of either:

- Van Winkle 12 Year
- Van Winkle 10 Year

Also available sold at a one bottle limit per person/household:

- Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2013
- Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
- Stagg Jr.
- Wild Turkey Forgiven
- Elijah Craig 21 Year
- Weller 12
- Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year

Unfortunately there were only 5 bottles of the Pappy 20. What? Bait and switch. Boo.
By the time I entered the store only a few bottles of Weller 12, Elijah Craig 21, Wild Turkey Forgiven, and Parker's Heritage Collection 6th Edition (2013). Picked up the Weller 12 and Parker's Heritage Collection 6th Edition (2013). Also ran into relative in the parking lot and they sold me their Pappy 10 for $35. Not a bad hull but I wanted the Pappy 20. Anyone try Weller 12, Parker's Heritage 2013, or Pappy 10?

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Weller-12yr_0.pnghttp://www.whiskyintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/aa5.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-j3sXYCjF3CY/UJmbbdrkc1I/AAAAAAAAA70/EJ3soqak-kI/s1600/ORVw-10-90.jpg

X Factor
10-12-2013, 10:24 PM
^^^^^ So jealous of you!!! Amazing haul.

Would have loved to be there for that. Great store.

Xaveriana
10-16-2013, 10:03 PM
^^^^^ So jealous of you!!! Amazing haul.

Would have loved to be there for that. Great store.

The Bourbon additions are awesome!!!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7423/10321531593_8a66f49534_o.jpg

nuts4xu
10-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Can someone explain to me the difference between bourbon and whiskey?

LA Muskie
10-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Can someone explain to me the difference between bourbon and whiskey?

No difference. Bourbon is a type of whiskey. A type of American whiskey to be more specific. It's fermented mash must be primarily (more than 50%) corn. It is most associated with Kentucky distillers.

X Factor
10-17-2013, 04:06 AM
All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

Xavierana - really nice bourbon line up!

paulxu
10-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Show off.

(when's the party?)

nuts4xu
10-17-2013, 09:22 AM
No difference. Bourbon is a type of whiskey. A type of American whiskey to be more specific. It's fermented mash must be primarily (more than 50%) corn. It is most associated with Kentucky distillers.

So basically bourbon is the name associated with whiskey produced in Kentucky? There is no other difference?

I thought it had something to do with the barrels used in the fermenting process.

Thanks for the response. I have customers in Kentucky, and have asked a few people to help me with this question, but no one has been able to articulate how to differentiate between the two.

LA Muskie
10-17-2013, 10:11 AM
So basically bourbon is the name associated with whiskey produced in Kentucky? There is no other difference?

I thought it had something to do with the barrels used in the fermenting process.

Not just Kentucky. But that's a huge source. "Tennessee Whiskey" (ala Jack Daniels) is also bourbon. It needs to be fermented in white oak barrels. Unlike Scotch, there is no aging requirement.

Thanks for the response. I have customers in Kentucky, and have asked a few people to help me with this question, but no one has been able to articulate how to differentiate between the two.
The best answer has already been posted above -- all bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. Sort of like all IPA's are beer but not all beers are IPA's. Other common examples of whiskey include Scotch, Canadian (Seagrams, etc.), and Rye (a close cousin to bourbon).

ballyhoohoo
10-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Not just Kentucky. But that's a huge source. "Tennessee Whiskey" (ala Jack Daniels) is also bourbon. It needs to be fermented in white oak barrels. Unlike Scotch, there is no aging requirement.

The best answer has already been posted above -- all bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. Sort of like all IPA's are beer but not all beers are IPA's. Other common examples of whiskey include Scotch, Canadian (Seagrams, etc.), and Rye (a close cousin to bourbon).

The way it was explained to me was that it is a virgin white oak barrel. Most bourbon distilleries sell used barrels and have there own barrel assembly on site

I was also told at Four Rose that it must spend the first year of barrel storage in Kentucky to be called bourbon.

LA Muskie
10-17-2013, 10:28 AM
The way it was explained to me was that it is a virgin white oak barrel. Most bourbon distilleries sell used barrels and have there own barrel assembly on site

I was also told at Four Rose that it must spend the first year of barrel storage in Kentucky to be called bourbon.
I believe that technically a used white oak barrel can be utilized and it can still be called bourbon under federal regs, although the preference is new. It doesn't have to spend any time in Kentucky to be called bourbon. But I believe it has to spend some time in KY to be called "Kentucky Bourbon" -- and I wouldn't be surprised if that period of time is 1 year.

nuts4xu
10-17-2013, 11:31 AM

This is what makes it confusing to me. Jim Beam has "Bourbon Whiskey" on the bottle, while Jack Daniels has just "Whiskey".

I like the IPA comparison, that makes it a little easier for me. I am a beer guy by nature, so this analogy was right up my alley.

LA Muskie
10-17-2013, 12:29 PM
This is what makes it confusing to me. Jim Beam has "Bourbon Whiskey" on the bottle, while Jack Daniels has just "Whiskey".

I like the IPA comparison, that makes it a little easier for me. I am a beer guy by nature, so this analogy was right up my alley.

I think (but don't know) that the distinction is that Jack is distilled in TN and they like to differentiate TN whiskey even though it's the same thing.

chico
10-17-2013, 01:09 PM

The overwhelming majority of bourbon is manufactured in Kentucky, so LA's right that it's probably to differentiate itself from the Kentucky made bourbon.

chico
10-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Very nice! Let us know what you think if the Weller. It's a wheated bourbon which makes it different than bourbons like Maker's and Woodford.

X-man
10-17-2013, 02:21 PM

What...no Pappy, no regular Makers, no Angel's Envy??? What kind of a bourbon selection is that? LOL

LA Muskie
10-17-2013, 03:26 PM
What...no Pappy, no regular Makers, no Angel's Envy??? What kind of a bourbon selection is that? LOL

I think I saw a bottle of Pappy's in there...

LA Muskie
10-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Dozens of cases of 'world's finest bourbon' stolen from Kentucky distillery (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/17/21011546-dozens-of-cases-of-worlds-finest-bourbon-stolen-from-kentucky-distillery?lite)

Xavieriana has some 'splainin' to do... (Namely, why we weren't all invited to the party).

paulxu
10-17-2013, 07:28 PM
46 is a Maker's brand.

(Where is Bourbonman when you need him)

X-man
10-18-2013, 10:28 AM
46 is a Maker's brand.

But it is not "regular" Maker's which IMHO is far superior to Makers 46.

Xaveriana
10-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Dozens of cases of 'world's finest bourbon' stolen from Kentucky distillery (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/17/21011546-dozens-of-cases-of-worlds-finest-bourbon-stolen-from-kentucky-distillery?lite)

Xavieriana has some 'splainin' to do... (Namely, why we weren't all invited to the party).

I know nothing. ;-)
The Marker's, Beam, Devil's Cut, etc. are behind the bar in the well.
Yes there is a bottle of Pappy 10 second from left.
Agree on the Marker's 46 comment.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/10369696443_e8f28f062d_b.jpg

Porkopolis
10-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Those of you who love MM need to give Heaven Hill's Larceny a try. A similar flavor profile but superior in every way imo.

Xaveriana
10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
About Bourbon

What is Bourbon?

Bourbon is kinda like whiskey's "sweet spot." Why? Well, first, because corn is a sweet grain. The more corn, the sweeter the whiskey. Also, it's tougher to make bourbon than whiskey. In fact, the government actually has standards for "Straight Bourbon Whiskey."

By law, bourbon must be:

- Produced in the USA
- Made of a grain mix of at least 51% corn
- Distilled at less than 160 proof (80% ABV)
- No additives allowed (except water to reduce proof where necessary)
- Aged in new, charred white oak barrels
- Aged for a minimum of two years*

* To be called "Straight" bourbon

Bourbon's Ingredients

Simply put, the main bourbon ingredients are distilled grain and water. For instance Jim Beam mixes more than 51% corn (as required by the government) with barley, malt and rye. Then we add a little yeast. Not just any yeast, either. Jim Beam used the same, private-stock strain of yeast since Prohibition was repealed. Then they add pure, iron-free water, some time and a whole lotta love.

Five Things You Should Know About Whiskey vs. Bourbon

1. All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. Tennessee whiskey? Not bourbon. Canadian whiskey? Nope. Scotch? Definitely not bourbon... you get the idea.

2. Bourbon is all-American. In 1964, under President Lyndon Johnson's administration, Congress declared bourbon America's Native Spirit (LBJ sure enjoyed his bourbon.).

3. The only thing that can be added to bourbon is water (and only to bring it down to proof). Other whiskey makers can add colors and flavors to their products.

4. Whiskey can age in re-used barrels. By law bourbon must use NEW charred American white oak barrels. Scotch whiskey often recycles barrels first used for bourbon. Probably to try to steal some of the bourbon's flavor!

5. It can't say "bourbon" on the label if it's not distilled in the United States. And it can't be "Kentucky Bourbon" unless it's distilled in Kentucky.

LA Muskie
10-20-2013, 03:13 AM
About Bourbon

What is Bourbon?

Bourbon is kinda like whiskey's "sweet spot." Why? Well, first, because corn is a sweet grain. The more corn, the sweeter the whiskey. Also, it's tougher to make bourbon than whiskey. In fact, the government actually has standards for "Straight Bourbon Whiskey."

By law, bourbon must be:

- Produced in the USA
- Made of a grain mix of at least 51% corn
- Distilled at less than 160 proof (80% ABV)
- No additives allowed (except water to reduce proof where necessary)
- Aged in new, charred white oak barrels
- Aged for a minimum of two years*

* To be called "Straight" bourbon

Bourbon's Ingredients

Simply put, the main bourbon ingredients are distilled grain and water. For instance Jim Beam mixes more than 51% corn (as required by the government) with barley, malt and rye. Then we add a little yeast. Not just any yeast, either. Jim Beam used the same, private-stock strain of yeast since Prohibition was repealed. Then they add pure, iron-free water, some time and a whole lotta love.

Five Things You Should Know About Whiskey vs. Bourbon

1. All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. Tennessee whiskey? Not bourbon. Canadian whiskey? Nope. Scotch? Definitely not bourbon... you get the idea.

2. Bourbon is all-American. In 1964, under President Lyndon Johnson's administration, Congress declared bourbon America's Native Spirit (LBJ sure enjoyed his bourbon.).

3. The only thing that can be added to bourbon is water (and only to bring it down to proof). Other whiskey makers can add colors and flavors to their products.

4. Whiskey can age in re-used barrels. By law bourbon must use NEW charred American white oak barrels. Scotch whiskey often recycles barrels first used for bourbon. Probably to try to steal some of the bourbon's flavor!

5. It can't say "bourbon" on the label if it's not distilled in the United States. And it can't be "Kentucky Bourbon" unless it's distilled in Kentucky.

All of this looks right except I believe Straight Tennessee Whiskey (e.g., Jack Daniels) qualifies as bourbon under US law. They just choose not to refer to themselves as bourbon.

Porkopolis
10-20-2013, 10:40 AM
All of this looks right except I believe Straight Tennessee Whiskey (e.g., Jack Daniels) qualifies as bourbon under US law. They just choose not to refer to themselves as bourbon.

There is a great article about Tennessee Whiskey vs. bourbon in this month's Bourbon Review. For anyone unfamiliar with this nice quarterly magazine I highly recommend it. Not as serious as Whisky or Whiskey Advocate but still quite a good read.

http://gobourbon.com/

bourbonman
10-20-2013, 10:08 PM
46 is a Maker's brand.

Bourbonman is here. Have been up at my family cabin in the mountains. Back to work. Love reading what's going on on here. Sounds like it's tie for a tasting. I need to look at the calendar of games and a possible location for a seminar. Anyone on here connected with the university. I vision a tasting (I'll supply the bourbon/whisky) in a pre-game event. Attendees make a modest donation to Xavier (or charity of choice) and have a casual discussion on the topic. Just an offer. (I PROMISE NOT TO OVER REPRESENT MY COMPANY'S BRANDS. IF THERE'S ANYONE HERE WHO'S CONNECTED TO ANOTHER BRAND(S), PLEASE JOIN IN.)

Thoughts.

AND yes, all bourbon is whisk(e)y but not all whisk(e)y is boutbron.

Anyone know when to use the "e" in whisk(e)y?

And no, Jack Daniel's is NOT a bourbon. It's a Tennessee whiskey. Do you know why?

Looking forward to some fun.

Xaveriana
10-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Count me in. I'd even be willing to host in Northern KY.

Xaveriana
12-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Kyle, our elf, has good taste...told him to stay out of the Pappy 23!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3679/11296592373_677bf239e1.jpg

Kahns Krazy
12-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I am not a bourbon guy at all. I have tried, and will continue to try in case my palette changes, from time to time, and it's just not my thing. I just wanted to add that reading bourbonman's post was enjoyable, even though I don't sample the product.

I know you all love when I quote myself.

Somewhere in the last three years, I suppose my tastes have changed. We have very little bourbon in the house. We keep Jim Beam for when the in-laws visit, and I was given a bottle of Makers.

Lately, I've been enjoying the Makers on the rocks from time to time. Not really a huge fan of the Beam. Just tastes kind of rough for me.

So what should I try next? (Bourbonman, feel free to pitch your own stuff.)

nuts4xu
02-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Beverage expert details cocktail trends....

http://nrn.com/beverage-trends/beverage-expert-details-cocktail-trends?NL=NRN-02_&Issue=NRN-02__20140205_NRN-02__495&YM_RID=kyle_korbee@dart.biz&YM_MID=1447310&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_3

X-man
02-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Those of you who love MM need to give Heaven Hill's Larceny a try. A similar flavor profile but superior in every way imo.

I like Larceny a lot. And given the fact that it is $20 per handle less expensive that MM, it's my "house bourbon".

chico
02-05-2014, 01:25 PM
I know you all love when I quote myself.

Somewhere in the last three years, I suppose my tastes have changed. We have very little bourbon in the house. We keep Jim Beam for when the in-laws visit, and I was given a bottle of Makers.

Lately, I've been enjoying the Makers on the rocks from time to time. Not really a huge fan of the Beam. Just tastes kind of rough for me.

So what should I try next? (Bourbonman, feel free to pitch your own stuff.)

If you like Maker's try Weller. Smoother than Maker's and is a wheated bourbon like Maker's. Wheated tends to be sweeter than the rye bourbons, which are more on the spicy side.

But you also can't go wrong with rye bourbons like Woodford and Four Roses. It's all in what type of bourbon flavor you prefer.

X-man
02-05-2014, 03:22 PM
If you like Maker's try Weller. Smoother than Maker's and is a wheated bourbon like Maker's. Wheated tends to be sweeter than the rye bourbons, which are more on the spicy side.

But you also can't go wrong with rye bourbons like Woodford and Four Roses. It's all in what type of bourbon flavor you prefer.

Thanks for the advice. I like Weller, and used to buy it quite a bit. But IMHO, Larceny is a considerable step up from Weller...at least for my taste. As you say, "it's all in what type of bourbon flavor you prefer".

bourbonman
02-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Yesterday I had a very unique experience where I went and purchased an entire single barrel of bourbon. In full disclosure, I bought one from my own company (Brown-Forman) and from the barrel inventory of Old Forester. Going in I had some strong preconceived opinions about what I would like and why. With Old Forester having one of the higher rye contents in the bourbon world at 18% I was looking for a "spicy" character, something I could sip on neat or in the summer on one or two cubes. Where I ended up was quite a different place.

So what we did is take a tour of the cooperage (BF is the only whisk(e)y company in the world that owns and makes its own barrels). Then to the distillery and saw quite a bit of history around Old Forester, being the only bourbon in existence today that was distilled and bottled before, during and after Prohibition. Then off to warehouse L for a tasting.

The tasting started with a sample of the standard Old Forester 86 proof, a great bourbon straight but ideal for cocktails with its fruit notes with hints of honey and spice. Then we sampled the Old Forester Signature, the 100 proof expression. Being my house bourbon (stop by Bourbonman's Firepit, check-in on Facebook and sip some bourbon sometime) I knew what I was getting with darker fruits (more cherry and blackberry and less apple and honey). Also great notes of vanilla with a bit of a nose of cedar. The last warm up act was the 2013 expression of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. This being just one day's production a very limited amount is produced each year and has become a hot item when released each September, disappearing from shelves in 2 to 3 weeks. Last year's expression was one of the best in its 12 year existence notes of coconut and vanilla with the fruit almost absent.

Now we got to select 3 of 4 barrels to sample and determine which one we would take home as "Brothers in Bourbon" selection. All four barrels were from the exact same day of production so the only item of difference was the barrel in which it was stored. Here's where I learned so much. All three barrels were so distinctly different I would have sworn they were from different mash bills, different distilleries, different yeast strains, different water sources, just different everything. This truly reinforced to me the that fact that the barrel has so much to do in the process of making bourbon. I've heard this thousands of times, taught it in classes, but until you experience it you really don't know it. "Someone else's knowledge shared with you is only information until that point you experience it for yourself. Then it becomes wisdom."

We first sampled at barrel proof of around 130 to 135. We then cut it to around 90 proof which will be the bottled proof to confirm what we thought.

Sample # 3048 had a nose of wood with notes of yeasty bread, orange and apricot. The taste was orange and orange peel and orange flesh.
Sample # 3054 had a nose of minty spice, cloves and cinnamon with a taste of cinnamon.
Sample # 3037 had a nose of sweet fruit, very creamy vanilla pudding and a taste of creme burlee and egg vanilla.

All three distinctly different from each other, yet produced from the same day of production. This goes to show how master distillers select a wide variety of barrels and batch them to ensure a consistent taste profile. We as a group eliminated # 3054 almost immediately. It just wasn't as full and robust as we would have hoped, even though it was the "spicy" one of the three. We then discussed how we would consume it with each of us drinking it straight most of the time, yet there was one of us who preferred Old Fashioned. Sample # 3048 would make the best Old Fashioned or Manhattan with the pronounced fruit notes. Yet as a group we selected sample 3037. I would have never guessed I would prefer that, but looking back at this year's Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and how good that was, I see why this is where we ended up.

The next 6 to 8 weeks can't go by fast enough to have this bottled. Bourbon's Firepit is awaiting. Sharing 220 bottles of the nectar of the gods with 3 other bourbon geeks will yield me a simple 55 bottles. I think I can stretch those until Derby Day. Happy sipping, but always sip responsibly.

(Apologies if this was too commercial. I try to be very cautious not to pitch our stuff, but to give you a peak of my experience it was best this time to go a bit more into brands.)

GoMuskies
02-18-2014, 08:25 AM
I bought one from my own company (Brown-Forman)

As a purchaser of your company's stock about four years ago, gotta say that I LOVE your company! I just wish I would have purchased more shares!

Xaveriana
02-18-2014, 01:52 PM
I just received my share of the barrel of WL Weller purchased last month. Weller is very good especially for the money. If you haven't been part of a barrel purchase, I highly recommend it. Sampling barrels, selecting one, having it bottled and labeled with a custom label is a cool experience. For $200 I received 14 bottles ($14.28/bottle). Great deal!

BTW- Just purchased a bottle of Angle's Envy Cast Strength from run #2 in a wood collector case. Only 1,500 bottles were released over 7 states. I'm afraid to drink it given they may not have other runs following Lincoln Henderson's death in 2013. Does anyone have any additional information on this? Probably overpaid at $230, but didn't want to miss out on the opportunity. http://www.angelsenvy.com/?/cask

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-faB_lxqVTGM/Upat-DNEuNI/AAAAAAAAAvk/v6JEVcNPKto/s320/001.JPG

X-man
02-18-2014, 02:04 PM
I just received my share of the barrel of WL Weller purchased last month. Weller is very good especially for the money. If you haven't been part of a barrel purchase, I highly recommend it. Sampling barrels, selecting one, having it bottled and labeled with a custom label is a cool experience. For $200 I received 14 bottles ($14.28/bottle). Great deal!

BTW- Just purchased a bottle of Angles Envy Cast Strength from run #2 in a wood collector case. Only 1,500 bottles were released over 7 states. I'm afraid to drink it given they may not have other runs following Lincoln Henderson's death in 2013. Does anyone have any additional information on this? Probably overpaid at $230, but didn't want to miss out on the opportunity. http://www.angelsenvy.com/?/cask

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-faB_lxqVTGM/Upat-DNEuNI/AAAAAAAAAvk/v6JEVcNPKto/s320/001.JPG

I am a fan of both Weller and (especially) Angel's Envy, which is currently my favorite bourbon. How does the one you purchased differ from the regular AE? And have you tried Larceny yet? It is very much like Weller IMHO, only better and about the same price.

Xaveriana
02-18-2014, 02:13 PM
It's a Limited Edition Cask Strength--meaning has not been cut with water; straight from the barrel.

Louisville Distilling Company Will Release 350 Total 9-Liter Cases of the “Best Spirit in the World”

Louisville, Kentucky (September 13, 2013) – Louisville Distilling Company today announced the limited-edition release of the critically acclaimed Angel’s Envy Cask Strength.

Named the “best spirit in the world” by Paul Pacult in the June 2013 edition of Spirit Journal, Cask Strength shared top honors with a 25-year-old single malt whisky that sells for nearly twice the price. The Expression will be available this October in select markets including: CA, FL, IL, KY, MA, NY, TN and TX. Due to the scarcity of barrels necessary for the enhanced finishing process, Angel’s Envy will only release 350 total 9-liter cases. The inaugural release in 2012, which was available only in Kentucky and Nashville, Tenn., sold out in weeks.

As with Angel’s Envy, the super-premium bourbon of uncompromising character and quality, Louisville Distilling Company gave Master Distiller Lincoln Henderson complete creative freedom to achieve a specific taste profile for Cask Strength. Using locally sourced grains and Kentucky limestone water, Lincoln aged this Expression to the perfect level of richness and maturity (up to eight years) in the few American white oak barrels that made the cut. He then chose to blend those barrels into a single batch and age the bourbon in hand-selected port casks (up to three years) until he tasted a previously undiscovered sweet spot.

“Cask Strength is rare and rich bourbon worth savoring,” said Wes Henderson, Chief Operating Officer, Angel’s Envy. “The first release sold out in weeks so we’re thrilled to make it more widely available this year.”

In his 2012 review of Cask Strength, Paul Pacult awarded the brand five stars (as he did with the bourbon port cask finish) – his highest recommendation – and noted, “this masterpiece deserves a sixth rating star.”

Pacult continues in his review saying, “the port pipe aspect comes shining through right from the get-go on this supple, caramel-laden and pipe tobacco-like opening aroma. Concludes long, roasted, meaty, winey, bakery shop bittersweet and fudge-like. This is the American whiskey equivalent of the mythical Black Bowmore 1964 Sherry Oak Islay Single Malt.”

The suggested retail price for a 750ml bottle, which may vary by market, is $149. A remarkably complex bourbon at 123-proof and 61.5% alcohol by volume, Cask Strength is best enjoyed with just a bit of water to release the flavor nuances (see tasting notes below).

Angel’s Envy will host exclusive bottle signing events from November 2013 through March 2014 for those that purchase Cask Strength. An insert on each bottle shares a URL with more information about the events.

In addition to Cask Strength, Angel’s Envy also offers an award-winning Bourbon Port Cask Finish in more than 20 U.S. States and in China. The bourbon is distilled for an unparalleled smoothness, aged for 4-6 years in American white oak barrels and finished in hand-selected port casks for an incremental 3-6 months. The Company also recently launched a very limited release of Angel’s Envy Rye (select markets), which uses 95% rye and 5% malted barley. The whiskey, which has received rave reviews, is aged for at least six years in new American, charred oak barrels and then finished in hand-selected Caribbean rum casks (which began as small French cognac barrels) for up to 18 months.

Earlier this year, Louisville Distilling Company broke ground on a new state-of-the-art distillery and brand experience center for Angel’s Envy in downtown Louisville, Kentucky. The Company expects the facility to be up and running in 2014.

OH.X.MI
02-18-2014, 09:29 PM
You guys got a recent grad like myself jealous beyond belief. Still sipping Old Crow from the discount aisle.

Kahns Krazy
02-18-2014, 10:40 PM
The barrel concept is fascinating to me. I like the idea of having something unique to that specific quantity. Bourbonman, if any of your fellow bourbon geeks are ever looking for someone to split a share of a barrel, hit me up.

bourbonman
02-19-2014, 07:32 AM
The barrel concept is fascinating to me. I like the idea of having something unique to that specific quantity. Bourbonman, if any of your fellow bourbon geeks are ever looking for someone to split a share of a barrel, hit me up.
Kahn's, almost anyone can do this. We have individual groups come to both of our distilleries and select barrels. Get a group of friends together, go to your favorite retailer (preferably one that knows you and won't take a full mark-up) and let them know you're interested in buying a barrel. Prices vary by brand and experience. The Old Forester barrel will run us around 7K to 8K and we'll get 200 bottles. That's about $35/bottle. We also get the barrel, a plaque and a few other goodies - but it's about the bourbon.

Things I would watch for when ordering:
- Can you tour the distillery? Most of these brands don't even have a distillery and are buying the whisky on the open market. They're not creating anything, they're more mixologists than distillers.
- What is the tour? If it's a conference room and a video you're missing a great experience. You need to see a distillery or a cooperage or at least a warehouse to inhale some of the angel's share to really get your best experience.
- Go yourself. Don't rely on the retailer or sales person to pick. You may not know what you're getting. And you're relying on someone else's tastes that are more than likely quite different than your own.
- If you can't go, many companies will do in store/market tastings of the 3 barrel samples. this way you can participate and choose your own.
- I get extremely cautious when I'm not getting a full barrel (around 180 to 220 bottles depending on proof). If you're not getting a full barrel I question what are you really getting. Left over from something else? It may be good, but it does make me scratch my head thinking there's companies out there that can have half full barrels in their inventory. The costs of some of these stories would be out of the roof. If they really are doing this I wonder who's watching their bottom line.

It's a buyer beware world. For the most part stick with the distilleries that have been around for a long time. While even they have creative writing and artfully written stories (I've seen many of these rewritten here), they at least are making their own product. If you can't get a tour or see the distillery, ask them where they get their whisky. Some are honest and up front, and from those I will still buy some of their bourbon. If they're vague - buyer beware. The "distilleries" they get their whisky are quite interesting and frankly not focused on craft whisky - they produce a chemical concoction called alcohol.

Happy sipping, and always sip responsibly.

paulxu
02-19-2014, 08:03 AM
BM, I know it's a competitive brand, but is the Maker's deal any good?
My wife and her friends got together one weekend and signed us up to a barrel. So for 7 years (?) she gets the stuff in the mail as an "ambassador" (seems like good marketing to me) and sooner or later I guess we all go to the place and get a bottle and dip it in the wax.
I'm looking forward to touring some of the places in and around that area.
Will touch base with you before we go to get your recommendations on what to do/see.

X-man
02-19-2014, 09:25 AM
My wife and her friends got together one weekend and signed us up to a barrel. So for 7 years (?) she gets the stuff in the mail as an "ambassador" (seems like good marketing to me) and sooner or later I guess we all go to the place and get a bottle and dip it in the wax.
Will touch base with you before we go to get your recommendations on what to do/see.

I am an Ambassador,and in fact am now a "Senior Ambassador" because I am on my second barrel and signed up ten of my friends. When my first barrel was ready, I went to MM and dipped two bottles. They were actually a bit more expensive than just buying them at the store, but the "individual" stamp in the wax plus your own personalized label and copper bottle tag made the experience worth it for me. Plus it gave me an excuse to go back to Loretto and do another MM tour. Now my second barrel is ready, and so I repeat this all again this summer. It's fun, and there may be changes. It's not a good deal, it's a bit hokey, but frankly I found it all quite a hoot.

paulxu
02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Sounds good. I'm actually as much interested in the tours of MM and other distilleries as I am of getting the personalized bottle.
Many years ago (maybe they still do) you could get personalized labels on a case of MM. For a major birthday the little lady got me a case with those. Very nice!

bourbonman
02-19-2014, 10:29 AM

It's my belief that Maker's does a very good job. Love the fact that they focus on one bourbon family - Maker's Mark. You know what you're getting. JMHO.

paulxu
03-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Bourbonman...Road Trip!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/03/travel/tasmanian-whiskey-trail/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

GoMuskies
03-05-2014, 09:19 AM
(Brown-Forman)

And thank you once again for your company's fine work!

coasterville95
03-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Wow I just got amazed. I'm at Arnold's for Bockfest and I overheard a patron ask about the bourbons pictured below and was told it would be $60
Or $75 a SHOT.

Wow!!!!

They didn't buy it btwhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/09/abebemaz.jpg

Porkopolis
03-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Wow I just got amazed. I'm at Arnold's for Bockfest and I overheard a patron ask about the bourbons pictured below and was told it would be $60
Or $75 a SHOT.

Wow!!!!

They didn't buy it btwhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/09/abebemaz.jpg

I'm amazed that Arnold's has Pappy.

paulxu
03-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Tennessee heats up the whiskey wars.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/whiskey-wars-in-tennessee

Kahns Krazy
03-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm amazed that Arnold's has Pappy.

I'm more amazed that it is out on the bar. What are the odds that what is in those bottles is still what was in those bottles before they were opened.

chico
03-17-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm more amazed that it is out on the bar. What are the odds that what is in those bottles is still what was in those bottles before they were opened.

Good point. Only those who drink that stuff a lot really know what it tastes like.

Do they still have the King Louie in the bar? It was always strange to see that there.

Kahns Krazy
03-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Did some day drinking at Ei8ht Ball followed by a little shopping spree that ended in a bottle of 1838. (That's a bottle of 1792 and a bottle of 46. It was hilarious earlier.)
http://www.bourbonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1792_Ridgemont_reserve_bourbon.jpghttp://i.huffpost.com/gen/172727/MAKERS-MARK-NEW-BOURBON.jpg

Kahns Krazy
12-02-2014, 07:03 AM
I grabbed a bottle of DEP's single barrel 1792 last night. Looking forward to a little side-by-side tasting.

sirthought
12-02-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm going to CityBeat's Bourbon and Bacon event at New Riff tomorrow, 6 p.m.

Looking forward to it!

Kahns Krazy
12-03-2014, 10:48 AM
I can't remember why I didn't sign up for that. Was it really pricy?

94GRAD
12-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Bourbon Family Tree

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

Kahns Krazy
01-02-2015, 02:17 PM
If you like 1792 and you have a bar that you want a big bottle sitting on, DEP's has 1.75's of 1792 for $45.99.

Porkopolis
01-02-2015, 02:43 PM
If any of you like Buffalo Trace the private selection the Party Source has right now is pretty fantastic. Buffalo Trace is one of our go to bourbons on the inexpensive end, so it was nice to taste it in single barrel form.

Muskie
01-02-2015, 04:17 PM
I read an article today that said the price of bourbon was going up. Stock up.

Kahns Krazy
01-05-2015, 12:11 PM
There has been a massive uptick in the interest in bourbon, and a related increase in demand. Since bourbon is aged several to many years, the current supply is fixed. It's what led Makers to consider dropping the alcohol content from 90 to 84 proof in a short lived disaster (or genius marketing ploy).

I don't believe that prices will spike. My observation is that the alcohol fads are somewhat cyclical (something will soon overtake bourbon as the hot spirit of choice), and that people are pretty price sensitive when it comes to booze, except the die-hard fans. If bourbon spikes, craft vodka cocktails become cheaper by comparison, and demand switches back to vodka for Moscow Mules.

In this tequila thread from 6 years ago, a spike in tequila prices was predicted. It never happened, and there are more tequilas in the lower end of the price range than there were 6 years ago.

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?4497-Beer-prices-are-a-real-problem-%28Good-news-for-tequila-lovers-though%29/page2&highlight=tequila

The one area that consumers seem to be willing to pay the price surge is in craft beers.

Porkopolis
01-05-2015, 02:55 PM
My observation is that the alcohol fads are somewhat cyclical (something will soon overtake bourbon as the hot spirit of choice), and that people are pretty price sensitive when it comes to booze, except the die-hard fans. If bourbon spikes, craft vodka cocktails become cheaper by comparison, and demand switches back to vodka for Moscow Mules.

I'll just pay more for my bourbon. Though I do love other whiskeys, too. And gin. And rum. And beer. But the bottom line is my wife is also a bourbon lover, so bourbon it is. :lol:

bourbonman
01-06-2015, 08:23 AM
I read an article today that said the price of bourbon was going up. Stock up.

Love to see you guys "stock up". A loaded pantry leads to a more committed consumer. :biggrin: More commitment means more consumption, at least in our business. With regards to prices going up, it may happen on some brands. As pointed out by Kahns (and as most of you know) bourbon being an aged product will fix the supply to some degree. And as Kahns pointed out suppliers may be able to play with proof, but that can have some negative feedback as Makers found out.

Another lever that could be pulled is age. If someone was putting 6 year old bourbon in the bottle, they could lower it and as long as it doesn't go below 4 years of age it doesn't have to be listed on the label ... unless they were bragging about a specific age previously. If an age is listed it must be the age of the youngest drop of whisky put in the bottle. IMO this impacts flavor, but most consumers really can't pick up maturation differences if done overtime.

Pricing? Yes there will be some taking opportunistic price increases, especially those suppliers that aren't producers and have relied on other distilleries and/or industrial plants to supply them alcohol. There are many scrambling and begging. But they can't go up too much because in a couple of years (sooner than later) there may be an ocean of juice flowing from new and old distilleries. If they go up too much out of their price point their consumers will walk when options are available.

And liquid is only a small part of their problem. Where are they getting barrels? This is where the real begging begins. We've built a second cooperage to manage not only our supply but the quality of our barrels. We've quit selling to the outside our barrels years ago because we know the quality that the barrel can bring and we quite frankly were struggling to keep up with our own demand, hence the building of a new cooperage. We remain the only distillery in the world to have its own cooperage(s). (This is mind blowing to me since is the source of 100% of bourbon's color and 50% to 60% of its flavor ... but for those of you who know me it only takes a firecracker to blow my mind.) Heck, we had some contract distillation coming to its contractual end (again, because we see the future of us using everything we can produce) but now have extended for a brief period while they had to find barrels.

And finally, is this a trend. Yes. But forecasts are this trend will go for 15 to 20 years. Why? Because whisky has become the drink of choice around the world by the younger generation. They will drag this category forward as they mature and become wealthier. It happened before in the 50's and 60's before a trend to light beers and then to flavorless vodkas came along. This generation loves to talk about flavor. Read this or the beer thread if you doubt it. It'll last for a long time. And then the next generation (or cultural influence) comes along and brings with it its category of choice. IMO watch tequila. But for now, enjoy your bourbon.

BTW. I got my New Years Resolution from the British comic Tommy Cooper. It's the Whisky Diet. I've lost 3 days already. And it's only the 6th of January. And as always, please drink responsibly.

GoMuskies
01-06-2015, 08:40 AM
please drink responsibly.

That's a deal breaker

paulxu
01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
A loaded pantry leads to a more committed consumer.

This calls to mind the old joke of the chicken being interested in bacon and eggs...but the pig is absolutely committed to it.

As for a loaded pantry evidencing commitment to bourbon, I found 1.75 liter Makers at $40...so I am in the pig sty.

Kahns Krazy
01-06-2015, 10:33 AM
And as always, please drink responsibly.

That's a deal breaker

Not really. I take my individual responsibility to the shareholders of the distilleries very seriously.

nuts4xu
01-06-2015, 11:20 AM
I don't care much for wine, but I was at Cooper's Hawk in Kenwood for a birthday dinner this past weekend. I was sipping on a local draft beer and talking to other non wine drinkers. They may already have something like this, but I would like to attend a bourbon bar some time. A bar that is like a wine bar, except they cater to the bourbon crowd, not the wine drinkers. I like bourbon, but don't partake often..mostly because it fucks me up big time. However, I think I would enjoy a tasting and learning more about bourbon. I know they have the bourbon trail and many places to sample bourbon in Kentucky.

Does such a place already exist in Cincinnati? Do they have dedicated "bourbon" bars? Seems like a good idea to me...

ammtd34
01-06-2015, 11:52 AM
I don't care much for wine, but I was at Cooper's Hawk in Kenwood for a birthday dinner this past weekend. I was sipping on a local draft beer and talking to other non wine drinkers. They may already have something like this, but I would like to attend a bourbon bar some time. A bar that is like a wine bar, except they cater to the bourbon crowd, not the wine drinkers. I like bourbon, but don't partake often..mostly because it fucks me up big time. However, I think I would enjoy a tasting and learning more about bourbon. I know they have the bourbon trail and many places to sample bourbon in Kentucky.

Does such a place already exist in Cincinnati? Do they have dedicated "bourbon" bars? Seems like a good idea to me...

http://littlefieldns.com/

Century Bar in Dayton is cool, too.

chico
01-06-2015, 11:58 AM
There's also the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar on Main Street in Covington.

paulxu
01-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Do they have dedicated "bourbon" bars? Seems like a good idea to me...

My house in South Carolina if you are ever down this way.

94GRAD
01-06-2015, 12:22 PM

There's also the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar on Main Street in Covington.

Wiseguys is the bar above Goodfellas in Mainstrasse. They also pride themself in bourbon selection/knowledge

Kahns Krazy
01-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Party source has a new tasting area that might be of help gaining a little knowledge without getting blotto.

Porkopolis
01-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Party source has a new tasting area that might be of help gaining a little knowledge without getting blotto.

The employees there absolutely love to talk bourbon.

Xaveriana
01-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Wiseguys is the bar above Goodfellas in Mainstrasse. They also pride themself in bourbon selection/knowledge

http://www.kyforward.com/our-northern-kentucky/files/2014/06/wiseguylounge2.jpg

Love Wiseguys! I only need 95 more unique bourbons to get my name on the plaque. :-) All 5 bourbons I have never tried before. One of them was an Orphan Barrel named Rhetoric. They also had Orphan Barrels Old Blowhard & Barterhouse. More than 200 borbons in stock, but they are not cheap. Already $125ish spent. Very good stuff.

http://payless-liquors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/p18pf544c153sgkvn7lfj815qi4.jpg

X-man
01-07-2015, 06:04 AM
If you are ever in Portland, the Multnomah Whiskey Library is a must. Pricey, but bourbon heaven. I discovered Old Blowhard there.

Kahns Krazy
01-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Love Wiseguys! I only need 95 more unique bourbons to get my name on the plaque. :-) All 5 bourbons I have never tried before. One of them was an Orphan Barrel named Rhetoric. They also had Orphan Barrels Old Blowhard & Barterhouse. More than 200 borbons in stock, but they are not cheap. Already $125ish spent. Very good stuff.

Am I doing bad math, or are you spending $25 per pour? I'm hoping you've had more than one each of the 5 that you have tried.

Kahns Krazy
01-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Got a surprise gift of Blanton's Straight from the Barrel. Looking forward to cracking into this one. I've been doing more acquiring than tasting lately.

Xaveriana
01-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Am I doing bad math, or are you spending $25 per pour? I'm hoping you've had more than one each of the 5 that you have tried.

Your math is accurate. Some were $40+ and some were less.

Kahns Krazy
01-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Yowsa. I still consider a $40 bottle to be in the upper end of my range, and felt somewhat ridiculous at my recent acquisitions above that line. I'd have to spend a lot more time seriously tasting before $40 a pour seemed like the next step. That is some dedication.

Are you on DEP's mailing list? For various reasons unrelated to my own consumption, I'm a 'gold' member over there and get invited to purchase from some of their limited allocations. Many of these are above my price range, but I'd be happy to share the opportunity if you're not already getting invited to that.

Recent offerings for example included the Willet XCF 750ml for $139.98 and Lost Prophet Orphan Barrel for $124.99. Shoot me a PM if you want me to give you a heads up on future offers.

X-man
01-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Yowsa. I still consider a $40 bottle to be in the upper end of my range, and felt somewhat ridiculous at my recent acquisitions above that line. I'd have to spend a lot more time seriously tasting before $40 a pour seemed like the next step. That is some dedication.

Are you on DEP's mailing list? For various reasons unrelated to my own consumption, I'm a 'gold' member over there and get invited to purchase from some of their limited allocations. Many of these are above my price range, but I'd be happy to share the opportunity if you're not already getting invited to that.

Recent offerings for example included the Willet XCF 750ml for $139.98 and Lost Prophet Orphan Barrel for $124.99. Shoot me a PM if you want me to give you a heads up on future offers.

If by "bottle" you mean a "handle", then you haven't shopped for bourbon lately. The bourbon craze, in spite of the proliferation of new distilleries, has seriously ramped up bourbon prices. But I am in agreement that $40/glass is too much.

Kahns Krazy
01-17-2015, 10:19 AM
If by "bottle" you mean a "handle", then you haven't shopped for bourbon lately. The bourbon craze, in spite of the proliferation of new distilleries, has seriously ramped up bourbon prices. But I am in agreement that $40/glass is too much.

No, I mean 750ml. The only thing I buy in 1.75L is Beam for the bar stock and heavily mixed drinks. Most of what I'm picking up isn't even offered in handles.

pickledpigsfeet
01-21-2015, 08:18 AM
http://www.kyforward.com/our-northern-kentucky/files/2014/06/wiseguylounge2.jpg

http://payless-liquors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/p18pf544c153sgkvn7lfj815qi4.jpg

There's a fourth Orphan Barrel coming out soon, likely in the March/April time frame assuming Diageo can finalize their packaging for the product so it can be released.

paulxu
02-05-2015, 08:56 AM
I needed to take a break, so I was wandering around and stumbled across this.
It may be safe to assume that the 30% increase in whiskey sales is attributable to Bourbonman's hard work in the field.
Also, it seems like he has helped to lure the ladies over to the "dark" side.
Great job!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/04/whiskey-women-vodka_n_6614092.html

bourbonman
02-05-2015, 10:06 AM
It may be safe to assume that the 30% increase in whiskey sales is attributable to Bourbonman's hard work in the field.
Great job!

We've addressed this demographic with assistants who could approach this demographic and trend. Additionally, we have run programs and events toward the same target. Yet, we're not singularly focused and are addressing several different consumer groups who thirst for more information about this category.

paulxu
02-05-2015, 10:09 AM
What sort of drink is she holding in that picture?
That does not look like bourbon on the rocks.

GoMuskies
02-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Bourbon: that's going to be an important part of watching Xavier the rest of the year!

Kahns Krazy
02-05-2015, 10:57 AM
What sort of drink is she holding in that picture?
That does not look like bourbon on the rocks.

That appears to be a well made Manhattan.

Kahns Krazy
02-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Great job!

Interesting article, but the apples and oranges comparisons - 10 year growth for whiskey vs. 1 year for vodka, comparing cases to %'s, is one of my journalism pet peeves. You really can't get any sense from that article.

paulxu
02-05-2015, 11:13 AM
You really can't get any sense from that article.

Are you saying Bourbonman is not a hard worker? :)

Kahns Krazy
02-24-2015, 01:43 PM
According to the last e-mail from DEP's, a number of the distilleries are shutting down their private barrel selection programs.

I wonder how significant the bourbon shortage will become.

LA Muskie
02-24-2015, 01:48 PM
I had the Hudson Baby Bourbon this weekend. By then I was pretty drunk, so I can't really give any tasting notes. But I thought you should know I had some.