PDA

View Full Version : Villanova @ Georgetown

xufan22
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Worst piece of officiating I've ever seen in my life. Please watch Sportscenter if you didn't see it. Tied game, Reynolds driving baseline with a few seconds left and gets it knocked away, Georgetown player picks it up and is dribbling along the baseline when a whistle blows and a blocking foul is called. I didn't even see the Villanova players' jersey touch the Georgetown players jersey.

What an awful way to finish a hard-fought game. Should have been OT. Talk about refs deciding the game.

SpeX
02-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I posted this over in the "Out on the Mall" (was not sure where to put it). The worst call I have ever seen. Not even close to a foul and it was 80 feet from the basket with practically no time on the clock. Everyone just seemed stunned the call was made.

pimpinthebox
02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
That was a real shame. Made me sick.

xuwin
02-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Xavier > Georgetown

AdamtheFlyer
02-11-2008, 08:42 PM
The worst call I have ever seen.

I've been trying to come up with a worse call for the last 20 minutes. The only thing I have is the USA/USSR GOld Medal game many years ago (1972 maybe?).

I've seen my share of bad calls, but most deal with things like block/charge, a guy getting hammered, and whose ball it should be out of bounds. All of them are excusible in my opinion, because I know being a ref at this level is not easy.

This call trumps them all, because it shows the ref had no clue what was going on. Technically, that was a blocking foul. But seriously, you decided the game by calling a ticky-tack foul 85 feet from the bucket, when the guy wasn't even TRYING to score. He was just dribbling out the clock for OT. Anything short of a Milford High School hazing party should have been a no-call.

Unreal.

dc_x
02-11-2008, 08:48 PM
It looked like Wallace got bumped and it caused him to step on the line. So the ref either had to give the ball back to Nova with 1 second left or call the foul. Since there was contact, he had to call the foul.

dc_x
02-11-2008, 08:51 PM
That was even the worst end of the game tonight. The Rutgers-Tennessee womens game was worse. The clock operator stopped and restarted the clock in the middle of the last play to give Tennessee enough time to score the winning basket.

PM Thor
02-11-2008, 08:53 PM
It looked like Wallace got bumped and it caused him to step on the line. So the ref either had to give the ball back to Nova with 1 second left or call the foul. Since there was contact, he had to call the foul.

Or the third option, swallow the whistle and let the kids decide the game in OT.

xufan22
02-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree with Thor, even if it was a small ticky tack foul and might me called under normal circumstances, you don't call it 80 ft. from the basket in a tied game. And I don't take the excuse that you would give the ball back to Villanova with a full second left. The foul was called with .1 seconds on the clock. The time would have definately expired. Send it to overtime instead of deciding the game.

Snipe
02-11-2008, 09:05 PM
That was horrible.

PM Thor
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
It's not even the worst call of the night either. Rutgers women get hosed by a home clock operator for Tennessee. That was even worse, the clock just stopped, giving the game to Tenn. Home cookin' at its most blatant.

xubrew
02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
didn't see the tennessee game, but the villanova vs georgetown game was horrible. that's a terrible call with ten minutes to go in the game. it wasn't a foul under any circumstances, much less with less than a second to go.

it's all good though. the regular season is boring and unimportant. jason whitlock said so.

XUglow
02-11-2008, 09:46 PM
It's not even the worst call of the night either. Rutgers women get hosed by a home clock operator for Tennessee. That was even worse, the clock just stopped, giving the game to Tenn. Home cookin' at its most blatant.

I certainly agree with Coach Stringer. That type of thing should not be tolerated. I don't understand why her player took the UT gal down anyway, but there should have been no time. Gee, UT, imagine if the LSU clock operater had "paused" the clock at 0.2 and allowed the LSU dunk to occur during regulation last Saturday. Would you be pissed?

D-West & PO-Z
02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I can see what the ref was calling, there was definitely a hip check, but it was little and insignificant for the end of the game. You dont call that there in that situation, no way. But with 12 mins left in the game, I think the ref makes that same call and no one has a problem with it.

XUglow
02-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Heard this on the radio on the way to work. "Don Imus was the clock operator."

nuts4xu
02-12-2008, 09:39 AM
You must swallow your whistle in that situation. No one in the gym would have complained, and the game would have went to overtime. There most definitely was contact, and if it was earlier in the game, you make that call.

But not with the game on the line, when the guy is dribbling out the clock. If it was a flagrant foul, or something along the lines of the Greg Oden's 5th foul in our game last spring, then you call it. But who in the frig calls a blocking call with time running out, 75 feet from the basket?

What a moron.

Kahns Krazy
02-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I think it was a bad call, but once it was made, there's nothing that can be done about it. There was contact, and the whistle was blown. I hope for the ref's sake that he just didn't know that there was less than a second on the clock.

With 5 or 10 seconds on the clock, you have to make that call. Without that contact, Georgetown has a chance to drive the length of the floor.

The question I haven't seen anyone ask is why Nova is bumping a guy 75 feet from the basket with .1 seconds left.

The Nappy Headed Ho's got the real screw last night. That one should be appealed. It seemed clear to me that time should have expired before the foul.

XU05and07
02-12-2008, 10:14 AM

What I don't understand is why the refs didn't go to the monitor and figure out what happened...they can correct that error by doing their own timekeeping...it has been done in the past. I was watching the game and they never went to the monitor...not only did they make a bad call, but they didn't try to correct it when they are allowed to.

My question: Can league and NCAA officials change the outcome since it came at the end of the game? I don't know the answer, so that's why I am asking

XUglow
02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
What I don't understand is why the refs didn't go to the monitor and figure out what happened...they can correct that error by doing their own timekeeping...it has been done in the past. I was watching the game and they never went to the monitor...not only did they make a bad call, but they didn't try to correct it when they are allowed to.

My question: Can league and NCAA officials change the outcome since it came at the end of the game? I don't know the answer, so that's why I am asking

I think the refs only looked at the play in slow motion to see if there was time on the clock when the foul was called. I was talking on the phone with the TV muted. I was watching the replays and thought there was time on the clock and the foul was legit. I only noticed the timing error when I saw the play in real time.

D-West & PO-Z
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I think the refs only looked at the play in slow motion to see if there was time on the clock when the foul was called. I was talking on the phone with the TV muted. I was watching the replays and thought there was time on the clock and the foul was legit. I only noticed the timing error when I saw the play in real time.

Ya, but they should have not only looked at that, and looked at the time mess up, you know vivian stringer was letting them know about it.

Billy
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
That was even the worst end of the game tonight. The Rutgers-Tennessee womens game was worse. The clock operator stopped and restarted the clock in the middle of the last play to give Tennessee enough time to score the winning basket.

I agree...that was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Imus may have been the timekeeper.

spongebob
02-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Dont know the answer to your question, but I think they did go to the monitor. But, they did not recognize or address the fact that that clock had "froze" and was stuck on 0.2 for some time and should have expired well before any foul was committed. Rutgers indeed got hosed, big time.

Here's the link to ESPN's article about the game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?id=3241791

xuwin
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM

I saw that too. I don't understand why the officials didn't take that into consideration when they looked at the replay. It was obvious that the game would have been over without the clock stopage with .2 sec left. That was worse than the Georgetown game because there was at least contact on that play prior to the clock expiring. I at least have mixed feelings about the Georgetown game. I am not one that is of the opinion that a foul should be called differently depending on when it is called in the game. I doubt if you will find it in the rule book either.

Fred Garvin
02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I am not one that is of the opinion that a foul should be called differently depending on when it is called in the game. I doubt if you will find it in the rule book either.

Exactly. If you wanna call fouls differently at different stages then put it in the rule book.

Fred Garvin
02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Btw, was UT in the bonus when that foul happened? I thought I heard someone on First and Ten saying it should have been a foul on the floor. If you could deduce she didn't have time to get the shot off it wouldn't be shooting. Is that what I heard?

spongebob
02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
If I recall correctly, UT was in the double bonus at that point. The issue was whether the clock should have expired prior to any foul being committed.

X-band '01
02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
In the big scheme of things, it's going to hurt Villanova a lot more than it hurts Rutgers. They'll probably get either a 2 or a 3; I don't see them getting a #1 like Tennessee will, win or lose. Nova on the other hand is in a dogfight just to qualify for the Big East tournament at this point.

I did like how Coach Stringer said tt's not fair for the Tennessee kids to have a question mark next to their win. That is a perfect way to say that her team was jobbed.

MD Muskie
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I was at the Georgetown/Villanova game and was actually very close to where the foul was called. There was going to be whistle on that play no matter what because Summers could have been called for going out of bounds. The ref saw contact and made the call he thought was the correct call. Either way the play was stopping at the moment, so i don't blame him for what he called. I do however wish that the game would have been settled by the players because it was an electric crowd and a great game to be at. It is a shame that it ended that way, but now they have to move on. Hopefully Nova can make the Big East Tournament and make this a moot point.

PM Thor
02-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Uh no. The ref should make no call in that situation. The guy was barely, barely touched.

Seriously, the play right before it involved a ton more contact, but no call, and that involved a guy at least under the basket somewhat.

It was a terrible, terrible call. You call nothing. It's either an out of bounds call or no call at all. Apologist.

dc_x
02-12-2008, 09:18 PM
The Big East agrees with the call...or at least is not publicly criticizing the call.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3242789)

PM Thor
02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
What a surprise! The Big East favors the team that will be a big favorite in the tourney! Holy cow!

It's a joke. Everyone knows it, everyone saw it. They got blasted for it, and the fact that the conference supports the decision actually hurts their stance, considering that it affects their tourney play. Joke. Big Joke.

Fred Garvin
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm curious to hear from some of you that don't think you call a foul at that juncture. I assume where the foul occurs has something to do with your outrage. I think it has more to do with the severity of the foul. There is some merit to the idea that when it is glaring you have to call it. You often hear announcers say "with that much contact you have to make a call one way or the other."

Did any of you see the end of IU-Illinois? I can't remember if it was the end of regulation or the first time, but the Illinois player just hammered the IU player with about a sec left. It was immediately after Pruitt missed two free throws for the win.