PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Frank Drebin.

Kahns Krazy
11-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Leslie Nielsen loses a fight with a pneumonia in a hospital.

His publicist said "It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now."

GuyFawkes38
11-28-2010, 09:17 PM
These days 84 seems too young.

Airplane is the greatest comedy ever made. I think my definition of humor stems from that film.

Comedy can often come across as mean spirited, demeaning, and crude. I loved how Nielson's brand of comedy just comes across as fun, light hearted, and silly.

SixFig
11-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Leslie Nielsen loses a fight with a pneumonia in a hospital.

"That's no way for a man to die. A parachute not opening... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!"

XULucho27
11-28-2010, 10:04 PM
"I'd known her for years. We used to go to all the police functions together. Ah, how I loved her, but she had her music. I think she had her music. She'd hang out with the Chicago Male Chorus and Symphony. I don't recall her playing an instrument or being able to carry a tune. Yet she was on the road 300 days of the year. In fact, I bought her a harp for Christmas. She asked me what it was."

R.I.P.

Edit: The more I think about this the sadder I get. I grew up watching his movies. His comedic timing and style was attempted by many, but replicated by few. I will always be a fan of his work and remember him as one of the funniest people ever.

chico
11-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Leslie Nielsen died? Surely you can't be serious.

PM Thor
11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey Look! It (was) Enrico Pallazzo!

Damn, one of the funniest guys out there. His delivery, going from straight man to utter buffoon was great. One of a kind.

I HATE dayton.

blobfan
11-28-2010, 10:33 PM
[sniff] For a man that full of life 84 is definitely too young.

wkrq59
11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Leslie Nielsen died? Surely you can't be serious.

"I am and don't call me Shirley."
No matter how many times I see
"Airplane," that still cracks me up. I still laugh at the body condom scene in Naked Gun." Loved the Dracula spoof as well as, "Wrongfully Accused."
He will be missed. A master of the double take and the poker face as well.
Yes, 84 does seem too young.:mad::(:eek:

Pablo's Brother
11-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Loved his golf tips as well. I still use the "hand wedge" whenever I am in the traps. Dude was just funny.

Snipe
11-29-2010, 09:12 AM
What a true Great American.

At what point is the movie Airport age appropriate for children? That is a great movie.

Kahns Krazy
11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
What a true Great American.

At what point is the movie Airport age appropriate for children? That is a great movie.

Depends on your kids I think. You can check out the parental advisories at

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/parentalguide

Probably nothing in there that they haven't heard around the house already. I think it would be more jokes they don't get (Air Isreal, please clear the runway) than inappropriate stuff they do get.

Not sure it's good for your younger one, but you're probably okay with IV. The real question is will he find it as funny as you.

GuyFawkes38
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
ha, just want to note that there's a very brief topless scene in airplane. Bill Simmons column once talked about losing your boob virginity with different films. Airplane is a frequent nominee.

It's a very, very quick showing that adds nothing to the scene.

XUglow
11-29-2010, 11:18 AM
I am old enough to remember him before he was a comedic actor. It seems very wrong when you watch him in a serious role.

Pablo's Brother
11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
It's a very, very quick showing that adds nothing to the scene.

every male disagrees with your assertion.

blobfan
11-29-2010, 02:14 PM
every straightmale disagrees with your assertion.

Fixed your post. I have a gay friend that knew me for 5 years and was in his 20s before he even looked closely enough at breasts to realize they moved.

I'm so glad I recently re-watched Airplane and shared it with my little sister. It'll be a while before I can see it again without some melancholy. I was pretty young the first time I saw it and it left a deep impression on me. I've always loved that absurd comedy and Neilsen was one of the masters at it.

GoMuskies
11-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Police Squad is my favorite LN work. Sad news for sure.

Cheesehead
11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I was saddened when I heard the news. I absolutely love all the Airplane movies and Naked Guns tuff. They guy was spot on in the whole deadpan thing.

Smails
11-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.

XUfanJay
11-30-2010, 12:25 PM
If Frank Drebin wasn't the best darned umpire... I don't know who could be. Also, who can for get the 'safe sex' scene with Priscilla Presley, absolutely hilarious.

jhelmes37
11-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Like a blind man in an orgy, I was gonna have to feel my way around.

pimpinthebox
12-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Here's a great youtube tribute to "Airplane".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qJM0YkbwQ

(Skip the first 20 seconds)

For some reason, they left out the best exchange of the movie.

Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?
Captain Oveur: I can't tell.
Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.
Captain Oveur: No. I mean I'm just not sure.
Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?
Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.
Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?