PDA

View Full Version : football at wrigley field

xubrew
11-20-2010, 05:50 PM
northwestern played illinois at wrigley field today.

my god....haven't cubs fans suffered enough??

but, in all honesty, i have no idea why they set the field up the way that they did. in case you don't know, both teams are having to drive toward the same end zone for the entire game because one of the end zones wasn't big enough to fit within the confines of the seats. they've played football at wrigley field before (albiet not any time recently). i'm sure they used two end zones.

football games in baseball stadiums really isn't all that uncommon. they generally set the field up with one end zone along the first base line, and the field extending out past second base and into left field. i've never seen it done where it didn't fit.

i really thought this was a neat idea when i first heard they were playing there, but that was before i realized they couldn't fit the field into the place and had to literally change the rules of the game. i saw some of the game, but couldn't quite make out how they set it up or where it was in relation to the baseball field.

i did find it funny that they mentioned the chicago bears had won an nfl championship at wrigley field, and had done so much more recently than the cubs had won a world series there. it was also the home field of the chicago cardinals before they moved to saint louis. maybe a hundred yards was shorter back then.

GoMuskies
11-20-2010, 05:59 PM
They went from left field towards the right field line back in the Bears days. Due to permanent seats that have since been added, they went basically perpendicular to that today, from the first base dugout out to right field. According the article I read, the folks at Wrigley Field with the Cubs gave the Big Ten folks the specs months ago and built the field exactly as planned. It wasn't until a couple of days ago that the Big Ten raised its safety concerns and changed the rules, and the Cubs people were none too pleased with the decision. I assume someone's insurance carrier saw the setup and threatened not to cover injuries occuring in the end zone snug against the right field wall.

PM Thor
11-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I thought that the field actually fit, but the brick outfield wall was way, way too close to the back of the endzone in order for them to go that way without that potential danger in their face.

Army/Notre Dame is in the New Yankees Stadium tonight.

On an aside, I love that Michigans big house is going to host the largest outdoor hockey game, they are expecting 112,000 to the game in mid December. That is going to be cool to see, even if it is Michigan.

I HATE dayton.

Mrs. Garrett
11-20-2010, 06:00 PM
They Cubs have done some renovations in recent years to Wrigley and I think that cut intot the size of the playing field. The Bears played there way back in the 1960s. It is a good venue for concerts.

DC Muskie
11-20-2010, 07:19 PM
That game was so dumb. Just like Cubs game. Everything but what happens in the field is the reason why anyone pays attention.

PM Thor
11-20-2010, 07:33 PM
That game was so dumb. Just like Cubs game. Everything but what happens in the field is the reason why anyone pays attention.

I dunno DC. This game has gotten a ton more attention than any of the last 20 Northwestern/Illinois games has had. It's a novel way to attract attention to a crappy game.

I HATE dayton.

BandAid
11-20-2010, 10:11 PM
I dunno DC. This game has gotten a ton more attention than any of the last 20 Northwestern/Illinois games has had. It's a novel way to attract attention to a crappy game.

I HATE dayton.

I agree. It was gimmicky, but it was fun. Certainly shouldn't be a regular occurrence though.

DC Muskie
11-21-2010, 06:05 AM

I HATE dayton.

Exactly. And that's why it was dumb. Going one way for offensive plays? Are you kidding me?

I agree. It was gimmicky, but it was fun. Certainly shouldn't be a regular occurrence though.

Yeah Cubs games are fun. Because of Wrigleyville and rooftop seats. The game itself always suck.