PDA

View Full Version : PS3 question - 160GB/250GB/320GB/320GB + Move bundle?

Kahns Krazy
11-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Someone asked me about the various PS3 packages out there for Christmas gifts. Who knows enough about PS3's to know if it's worth spending more for the bigger drive? What are the pros and cons of the various versions?

Kahns Krazy
11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
really? nothing?

nuts4xu
11-17-2010, 09:30 AM
I am not the "gamer" some of the guys on here are. I have an 80 GB PS3 and it suits me just fine.

I think at this point if you are going to buy a PS3, you should get the Move bundle. I was looking to buy a Wii just for the technology, but was very glad to see PS3 with similar technology.

25jackson
11-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I have to original 40gb PS3 and I have plenty of space left on the drive. It all depends if you are going to put pictures/music/video on the PS3. I use it primarily for gaming so I do not run into the problem of running out of space.

I do not know enough information on the Playstation Move, so I do not know if it is worth it.

Muskie
11-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Someone asked me about the various PS3 packages out there for Christmas gifts. Who knows enough about PS3's to know if it's worth spending more for the bigger drive? What are the pros and cons of the various versions?

I'd send them over to operationsports.com and go to the console forum. Many of the "experts" over there will be able to give them pros and cons you and I can't dream of.

DC Muskie
11-17-2010, 10:26 AM
KK-

Just to let you know, PS3 can stop working for no apparent reason.

Mine went out two months ago, just flat out won't turn on. Another friend the same thing happened.

I haven't had time to go to GameStop and ask them what to do, but from what I have heard from my friend, you have to send it to Sony to get fixed.

Not sure if it is worth it.

Porkopolis
11-17-2010, 10:31 AM
KK-

Just to let you know, PS3 can stop working for no apparent reason.

Mine went out two months ago, just flat out won't turn on. Another friend the same thing happened.

I haven't had time to go to GameStop and ask them what to do, but from what I have heard from my friend, you have to send it to Sony to get fixed.

Not sure if it is worth it.

Same thing happened to me. No warning, just "beep beep beep" and done. Not nearly as dramatic as the smoke coming from the back of my 360!

Kahns Krazy
11-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Do you guys that have them use they for blu ray movies? Is it an adequate blu ray player?

Porkopolis
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Do you guys that have them use they for blu ray movies? Is it an adequate blu ray player?

The PS3 is a good Blu-Ray player. I now have a stand alone Toshiba player that imo is better than the PS3. The Toshiba has faster load times and better online streaming.

nuts4xu
11-17-2010, 01:33 PM
To the guys that had experiences with the PS3's just quitting on them...how much was the console in use? I don't play that often, once or twice a week at most, and watch more movies than anything.

Curious to see how worried I should be about this issue.

Muskie
11-17-2010, 02:10 PM
To the guys that had experiences with the PS3's just quitting on them...how much was the console in use? I don't play that often, once or twice a week at most, and watch more movies than anything.

I hear cigars aren't good for them :eek: :D

Porkopolis
11-17-2010, 04:16 PM

On average I'd say 2-3 hours per day.

THRILLHOUSE
11-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Use the money to buy a 360 with Kinnect instead. Oh yeah, started up some console wars in here!...I kid, I like the ps3 as well. And yes the blu-player onboard is pretty solid, I'd say comparable to a mid-range stand alone unit.

kmcrawfo
11-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I bought a PS3 the first week they came out to use as Blu-Ray player, wireless media center, etc after reading reviews that it was by far the best Blu-Ray player at the time due to it automatic updates.

Now, I love the NetFlix feature. I use it for a with a 1080p projector on a 120" screen in my home theator and the picture is great. The auto-upgrades (I don't know if other blu-ray players do this now, or not) are great. Last week it downloaded the most recent software and is now able to play the new 3D blu-ray discs.

My unit has been solid with zero problems x years. No pets/no smoke/good ventalation, etc.

FYI, the hard drive can be upgraded in roughly 2 minutes to whatever size you want, or you can attach an external hard drive for nearly unlimited storage. Sony has quick step-by-step direction on their website. So, it is not worth paying more for the larger unit.

Great for my media center/home theator.

rhyno2110
11-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Nuts, I've had the ps3 since the first month it came out. Have had absolutely no problems with it.

(I wish I had gotten a 360 instead though)

DC Muskie
11-17-2010, 08:09 PM

I hardly ever used it. But I did use it everyday killing nazis when the snowstorms kept me in my apartment.

PM Thor
11-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I wish I could trade in my 360 for one with the built in wifi. Then I could use my Iphone for my wifi connection for my 360 and watch ESPN 3 while twittering through my FB account. Ha.

I HATE dayton.

THRILLHOUSE
11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I wish I could trade in my 360 for one with the built in wifi. Then I could use my Iphone for my wifi connection for my 360 and watch ESPN 3 while twittering through my FB account. Ha.

I HATE dayton.

You could but the XBOX 360 wifi adapter, but its a little pricey. I think the cheapest I've seen it is $50.

Xman95
11-17-2010, 09:05 PM

I HATE dayton.

I was actually watching Butler/Louisville through the 360 last night. It's a great feature. And it's funny you mention the trade-in. I actually took advantage of GameStop's offer when the new 360 model first came out. I traded in my old 20 GB console (which was actually a refurb after my 1st one got the red ring of death), a controller, the wifi adapter and a bunch of games I never played. I wound up only having to kick in about $50 more and I had a new 250 GB model with built-in wifi, new controller, Kinect-ready, etc.

That offer didn't last too long because too many people started to take advantage of it. Luckily I did the trade-in before the console even hit the shelves.

Xman95
11-17-2010, 09:20 PM
You could but the XBOX 360 wifi adapter, but its a little pricey. I think the cheapest I've seen it is $50.

$65 at Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Network-Adapter-Networks/dp/B000B6MLV4)

GuyFawkes38
11-17-2010, 09:30 PM
It's sort of odd that while Nintendo products don't compare in the hardware power department, they are made indestructible. My original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, and Wii all work fine.