PDA

View Full Version : Scholarships

bobbiemcgee
10-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Saw this on A-10 board - pretty cool and I needed a roadmap:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rwnkQnoLFK5-W2isseAtBbA&output=html

Smooth
10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like it needs quite a bit of updating already.

cinskyline
10-24-2010, 06:50 PM
That's pretty handy. Thanks for the link.

madness31
10-25-2010, 02:11 AM
If a player is red shirted do they not count against the total scholarships allowed? If Chandler is in the 2011 class and no one leaves early or transfers, it would appear that a freshman will have to be red shirted, assuming that is a potential solution.

rove02
10-25-2010, 04:10 AM
If a player is red shirted do they not count against the total scholarships allowed? If Chandler is in the 2011 class and no one leaves early or transfers, it would appear that a freshman will have to be red shirted, assuming that is a potential solution.

Red shirted players do count for the total scholarships allowed whether it be normal red shirt, medical red shirt, or someone sitting out a transfer year.

bobbiemcgee
11-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Problem solved.

TUXU2011
07-21-2011, 10:27 AM
With the signing of Myles Davis, how many more players can XU sign in 2012? I'm sure they are still very interested in DSR considering he would most likely start as a Freshman. They are probably also interested in a few other top 100 players still.

dto
07-21-2011, 10:33 AM
According to Rivals "Scholarship Situation" chart, we will not have any more, as they haven't updated that part of their site to reflect Myles' commitment

http://xavier.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1139&CID=1208534

XUFan09
07-21-2011, 10:53 AM
However, the coaching staff still likely could oversign by one for a top prospect like DSR or Semaj Christon or even Anthony Bennett.

TUXU2011
07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
However, the coaching staff still likely could oversign by one for a top prospect like DSR or Semaj Christon or even Anthony Bennett.

I think there is a chance they could get Elijah Macon too. He is from Ohio (Top 100 recruit) and on espn it says he is only considering XU and WVU.

ThePowerOfX
07-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I think there is a chance they could get Elijah Macon too. He is from Ohio (Top 100 recruit) and on espn it says he is only considering XU and WVU.

Pretty sure we've cooled off a ton on Macon, haven't even heard his name mentioned in a few months. Pretty sure he had grade and possibly even character issues. I'm not sure we are really in that much on Bennett either, but we would definitely oversign for either DSR or Semaj

paulxu
07-21-2011, 11:51 AM
What occurs when you "over sign" by one recruit?

For example, if DSR was signed for 2012 (giving us 14 scholarship players) would we have to immediately take one from a player to bring the number down to 13?

Or, can the school wait until the beginning of the 2012 season, or some other time before that, to decide what to do?

XUFan09
07-21-2011, 12:00 PM
What occurs when you "over sign" by one recruit?

For example, if DSR was signed for 2012 (giving us 14 scholarship players) would we have to immediately take one from a player to bring the number down to 13?

Or, can the school wait until the beginning of the 2012 season, or some other time before that, to decide what to do?

Before the start of the next school year, a scholarship would have to be open due to a player transferring, leaving early, or just becoming a privileged walk-on.

wkrq59
07-21-2011, 02:02 PM
The charts do not include a scholarship to Walker, the Vanderbilt transfer, and he has only one year of eligibility. I still think the DSR ship sailed quite a while back, at least in the mind and plans of Chris and staff.:D

sweet16
07-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Anyone think that maybe Redford doesn't come back for a 5th year (for any number of reasons) thus freeing up a scholarship?

nkymuskie
07-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I was wondering if Lyons would possibly think about leaving after next year. He probably (hopefully) would have his degree by then and could possibly do what Andre Walker just dis with the grad school transfer rule. I pray that he stays though. That was just a thought/fear that popped into my head a few days ago.

p.s. Can we change the thread name to Scholarships? I tried searching for this thread a few days ago and couldn't find it due to the name.

bobbiemcgee
07-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Didn't the Sheriff give up his scholly for a yr. so JC could play? This.

xu95
07-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Well, we currently are not up against the scholorship wall anymore, so bringing in one more kid will not be oversigning.

xu95

JimmyTwoTimes37
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Anyone think that maybe Redford doesn't come back for a 5th year (for any number of reasons) thus freeing up a scholarship?

I was wondering if Lyons would possibly think about leaving after next year. He probably (hopefully) would have his degree by then and could possibly do what Andre Walker just dis with the grad school transfer rule. I pray that he stays though. That was just a thought/fear that popped into my head a few days ago.

p.s. Can we change the thread name to Scholarships? I tried searching for this thread a few days ago and couldn't find it due to the name.

Don't see any of these scenarios happening...

xu15
07-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Well, we currently are not up against the scholorship wall anymore, so bringing in one more kid will not be oversigning.

xu95

Because of Reynolds, or something else?

dc_x
07-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Because of Reynolds, or something else?

By my count there are 12 schollies for this coming year, so 1 open right now.

For next year we have Frease, Holloway, Walker, Taylor, Reynolds, Lyons, Robinson, McKenzie, Martin, Davis, Wells, and Philmore.

Maybe get Sim on campus a year early and let him redshirt?

joe titan
07-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Redford instead of Reynolds

bobbiemcgee
07-24-2011, 10:18 AM
According to Rivals "Scholarship Situation" chart, we will not have any more, as they haven't updated that part of their site to reflect Myles' commitment

http://xavier.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1139&CID=1208534

So Sim moves to '11 to take Reynolds spot or does he redshirt?

Benxman
07-24-2011, 10:38 PM
From what I understand, Sim is eligible to enter XU this year, but could stay another year at prep school. I personally think that him staying another year at prep school would be the best scenario for both him and Xavier. That way, he will be another year older and more mature, both physically and mentally, therefore, in a better position to contribute. He would then have a red shirt year in his hip pocket in case of injury or whatever. If he signs his letter of intent this fall, he is as good as here without using this year of his scholarship.

On the DSR front, I too, think the ship sailed long ago, and the longer his recruitment continues, the smaller get the chances for him to choose Xavier. Christon is another story, but we are talking the difference between a 5 star ranked #1 point guard by Rivals, versus a 3 star unranked by Rivals. Even though Christon might turn into a very good player, that is quite a disparity.

Has the season started yet? :p

GO MUSKIES!

:logo:

XUFan09
07-24-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't understand why people keep saying the DSR ship sailed. He said he would most likely decide in August. Has August passed yet? Or do you have some insider info indicating otherwise? If not, everything I've heard indicates that Xavier is still in the mix.

bobbiemcgee
07-25-2011, 12:15 AM
From what I understand, Sim is eligible to enter XU this year, but could stay another year at prep school. I personally think that him staying another year at prep school would be the best scenario for both him and Xavier. That way, he will be another year older and more mature, both physically and mentally, therefore, in a better position to contribute. He would then have a red shirt year in his hip pocket in case of injury or whatever. If he signs his letter of intent this fall, he is as good as here without using this year of his scholarship.

On the DSR front, I too, think the ship sailed long ago, and the longer his recruitment continues, the smaller get the chances for him to choose Xavier. Christon is another story, but we are talking the difference between a 5 star ranked #1 point guard by Rivals, versus a 3 star unranked by Rivals. Even though Christon might turn into a very good player, that is quite a disparity.

Has the season started yet? :p

GO MUSKIES!

I get this, but if Sim comes in '11, we have his spot in '12 for a DSR/Christon. Correct?

SixFig
07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
I get this, but if Sim comes in '11, we have his spot in '12 for a DSR/Christon. Correct?

No. Sim effectively switches scholarships with Jalen Reynolds

Class by Final Year (pending Sim/Reynolds switch)

2012 (Seniors):
Holloway
Frease
Walker

2013 (Juniors):
Lyons
Redford
Taylor
Robinson

2014 (Sophs):
McKenzie
Philmore

2015 (Freshmen):
Martin
Wells
Davis
Bhullar

2016 (Rising Seniors):
Jalen Reynolds (Tu scholarship)
Myles Davis (Lyons scholarship)
James Farr (Walker scholarship)

ZERO scholarships remaining...DSR/Criston would be an oversign.

Emp
07-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Appreciate lining this up so clearly, Six.

X Factor
07-25-2011, 10:42 AM
On the DSR front, I too, think the ship sailed long ago, and the longer his recruitment continues, the smaller get the chances for him to choose Xavier.

We might not get a commitment from DSR, but Xavier is still VERY MUCH right in the mix for DSR. The ship is is still in the harbor. He said he is going to/wants to decide before school starts.

XUFan09
07-25-2011, 10:47 AM
We might not get a commitment from DSR, but Xavier is still VERY MUCH right in the mix for DSR. The ship is is still in the harbor. He said he is going to/wants to decide before school starts.

Thank you for reiterating it. People are getting rather impatient over a year before he would enroll in school.

powerofX
07-25-2011, 10:47 AM
With respect to the possible oversigning, I wonder if this is Lyons' last year. He had a prep year and then a redshirt as a partial. He might be ready to take his degree and head off to Europe to make some $$$. Just wondering outloud.

XUFan09
07-25-2011, 10:51 AM
With respect to the possible oversigning, I wonder if this is Lyons' last year. He had a prep year and then a redshirt as a partial. He might be ready to take his degree and head off to Europe to make some $$$. Just wondering outloud.

If Lyons has made a significant improvement in this off-season, particularly in his shooting, I could see him heading to the NBA instead of Europe.

Juice
07-25-2011, 11:00 AM
If Lyons has made a significant improvement in this off-season, particularly in his shooting, I could see him heading to the NBA instead of Europe.

As a 6 foot combo guard? C'mon let's get real here. Tu might not get drafted as a 6 foot point guard.

JimmyTwoTimes37
07-25-2011, 11:02 AM

Why would Lyons give up on his senior year and his dream(the NBA) to play in europe? He can always fall back on Europe

xufan02
07-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Why would Lyons give up on his senior year and his dream(the NBA) to play in europe? He can always fall back on Europe

Not saying I have heard anything, but not all ball players like school. Lyons will have his degree, like D. Brown, and might want to maximize his basketball money making ability.

XUFan09
07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
As a 6 foot combo guard? C'mon let's get real here. Tu might not get drafted as a 6 foot point guard.

Tu is actually more like 5'10 or 5'11, while Lyons really is probably 6'1. Lyons is also very athletic and quick, whereas Tu is not.

bobbiemcgee
07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
I guess there's always the possibility someone could be asked to give up their scholly for a year to sign DSR/Semaj. Didn't this happen with JC? No one seems to worried about it cuz the recruting machine moves forward.

Juice
07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Tu is actually more like 5'10 or 5'11, while Lyons really is probably 6'1. Lyons is also very athletic and quick, whereas Tu is not.

Again, how many 6'1'' combo guards do you see in the NBA? Not many. And that athleticism he has over everyone in college ball? Everyone in the NBA has it.

I love Cheekz and he is a good player for this team but I don't see him playing in the NBA. I hope he proves me wrong.

XUFan09
07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Again, how many 6'1'' combo guards do you see in the NBA? Not many. And that athleticism he has over everyone in college ball? Everyone in the NBA has it.

I love Cheekz and he is a good player for this team but I don't see him playing in the NBA. I hope he proves me wrong.

I imagine he'd play more of just the point in the NBA, just like Tu. This season he'll have to showcase that ability.

JimmyTwoTimes37
07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Welcome Semaj. We are 1 over now.

SixFig
07-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Welcome Semaj. We are 1 over now.

Right.

The 2012-13 team looks thusly:

PG:
Mark Lyons
Dee Davis
Semaj Criston

SG:
Brad Redford
Myles Davis

SF:
Dez Wells
Justin Martin

PF:
Isiah Philmore
Jeff Robinson
Travis Taylor
Jalen Reynolds
James Farr

C:
Griffin McKenzie
Sim Bhullar

14 schollies...that's 1 over

XUFan09
07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Right.

PG:
Mark Lyons
Dee Davis
Semaj Criston

SG:
Brad Redford
Myles Davis

SF:
Dez Wells
Justin Martin

PF:
Isiah Philmore
Jeff Robinson
Travis Taylor
Jalen Reynolds
James Farr

C:
Griffin McKenzie
Sim Bhullar

I'd switch Griff and Jalen in that depth chart. It would fit their skill sets better, especially with the muscle that Jalen has put on just in this past season.

xu15
07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Right.

PG:
Mark Lyons
Dee Davis
Semaj Criston

SG:
Brad Redford
Myles Davis

SF:
Dez Wells
Justin Martin

PF:
Isiah Philmore
Jeff Robinson
Travis Taylor
Jalen Reynolds
James Farr

C:
Griffin McKenzie
Sim Bhullar

There's A LOT of PF's in there.

waggy
07-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Philmore has a perimeter game doesn't he?

rhyno2110
07-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Yeah, he certainly does. He is very versatile and talented. Moreso than I previously expected.

XUFan09
07-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Yes, one of those (IMO) underappreciated combo forwards. I wouldn't be suprised to see him getting minutes at the 3, like Walker this year.

bobbiemcgee
07-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I heard McKenzie carries about a 3.9-4.0. Can he shift to an academic scholly?

danaandvictory
07-25-2011, 09:57 PM

Pretty sure if he's on the team and he's on scholarship, he counts against the limit regardless of whether the scholarship is termed "athletic" or "academic".

XUFan09
07-25-2011, 10:31 PM

I think per recent NCAA rules, you can come in on an academic scholarship and walk on to the team, but you can't switch to one from an athletic scholarship in order to dodge the limit.

MADXSTER
07-25-2011, 11:58 PM

My understanding is that, once a coaching staff is recruiting you, you cannot receive an academic scholarship and become a walk-on player.