PDA

View Full Version : JaQuan Lyle

More Cowbell
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM
INBRecruits INBasketballRecruits
6'3" PG JaQuan Lyle of Evansville Bosse HS (2014) will attend Xavier Musketeer Midnight Madness Saturday.

Not a lot of information on this kid other than that he was offered by Indiana

Xman95
10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Here's a link to an IU board that gives a little info on him. The thread seems to be more concerned with whether or not kids should be offered scholarships at such a young age...something douchebag, I mean Tom Crean (actually, I really did mean douchebag), seems to be doing daily.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=170&f=2353&t=6563088

GoMuskies
10-21-2010, 03:42 PM
We're recruiting someone Crean offered?!? Does this Mack fellow realize that he woke up on third base? Does he think he hit a triple?

More Cowbell
10-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Outside of getting lucky having Dwayne Wade on his team, I just dont see that he is that great of a coach.

xsteve1
10-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Crean's walking and constant clapping on the sidelines is very annoying.

Xman95
10-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Outside of getting lucky having Dwayne Wade on his team, I just dont see that he is that great of a coach.

Agree 100%. I actually posted something a few months ago showing where his teams finished and, other than the D-Wade year, his teams were nothing special. His entire career has been made by Wade. And, had Wade been better academically in high school, he probably wouldn't have ended up at Marquette. Crean lucked into that one all the way.

gladdenguy
12-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Mack was in Evansville tonight to see Jaquan Lyle from Bosse.
Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, and Xavier. Mack and Steele don't mess around the Hoosier state.

TheHoopSide1
12-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Jaquan Lyle, according to a source who communicated with his high school coach, says that XAVIER HAS OFFERED. I admittingly do not know enough about this player as I should considering the offer, but he must be pretty good.. info to come later.

www.thehoopside.com

Mark 3 Pointer
12-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Interesting little read...

http://www.insidethehall.com/2010/12/18/evansville-bosse-coach-reacts-to-jaquan-lyles-tweet/

The_Mack_Pack
12-20-2010, 02:18 PM
2014 is a high school freshman, right? He's got good height for a freshman PG at 6'3'', he could still grow quite a bit.

shock3
12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
He's definitely not a point guard. He's a legit 6'4 and very long. He handles the ball pretty well but not to a PG level. He will post up smaller players and he will take bigger defenders outside. Lyle passes the ball well and has excellent court vision for a freshmen. Defensively, he is good on the ball with his quickness and length. Off the ball...he plays like a freshmen. He doesn't understand positioning and help side yet.

He plays on a very balanced, unselfish team so his numbers will not be that big this year. He has huge upside though with his ability to do multiple things well on the court plus his height and length.

madness31
12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
If he is a freshman then there is plenty of time for him to improve his handles. Great court vision and passing would make him a candidate to play point if he can improve the dribble. These comments are based on what Shock wrote as I've never seen the kid play.

shock3
01-01-2011, 01:34 AM
He doesn't have the quickness to play point let alone guard a point guard at the college level. He will likely grow though and be able to handle the ball well for a perimeter player.

THRILLHOUSE
04-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Class of 2014 SF from Evansville, IN. He tweeted this earlier today:

@jlyle11 Indiana, Xavier, Purdue, & Illinois are my schools choices in order

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jaquan-Lyle-119840

blueblob06
06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Article posted yesterday about Lyle...the same schools mentioned plus a lot more...
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/recruiting/blog/eye-on-college-basketball-recruiting/19376716/five-star-2014-prospect-jaquan-lyle-diving-into-recruitment
He had 27 texts when he woke up the morning of the first day unlimited texting by college coaches was allowed.

Potentially worrisome things in the article:
1 - At his last camp, he roomed with 2 U of L commits who are pushing Louisville on him.
2 - He said Texas has always been his "dream school".
3 - Calipari/UK staff are getting involved.

But I guess anything can happen in the world of recruiting...

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
09-14-2013, 06:49 AM
De-commited from Louisville.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/13/2014-combo-guard-jaquan-lyle-de-commits-from-louisville/

Xman95
09-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Just a guess, but I'm saying he winds up at IU or OSU.

Milhouse
09-16-2013, 01:12 PM
If he wants to play point prolly not going to be IU they've got Yogi Ferrel for the next 3 years.

ArizonaXUGrad
09-16-2013, 04:34 PM
I wonder what is going on there, it's like they win the Title and all of a sudden their checks aren't cashing. UK and KU's checks are still cashing.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
09-16-2013, 05:35 PM
According to this article, Kansas is a strong possibility. I dislike this combo/package recruiting thing. From the school standpoint, it looks fishy and from the athletes standpoint, it seems they lack character.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/15/cliff-alexander-tweets-he-and-jaquan-lyle-will-play-in-college-together/

XUFan09
09-16-2013, 06:56 PM
What does a player wanting to play with his similarly talented friend have to do with character? That's a serious question. I want to know what you mean.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
09-17-2013, 09:17 AM
What does a player wanting to play with his similarly talented friend have to do with character? That's a serious question. I want to know what you mean.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

XUFan09: I’ll try to briefly explain my rationale. Hopefully you will agree with it or else, agree to disagree. I don’t believe this kid lacks character because he wants to play with a friend with similar abilities. Several months after verbally committing to the University of Louisville, this kid decided to decomitt from a good basketball program (for the record I’m not a fan of Pitino or Louisville but it is hard to argue they don’ t have a successful program), saying he will still consider UofL if they continue recruiting him. Then, it seems that he decommitted because he wants to play together with some friend (I’m not certain but believe I read somewhere that prior to committing to UofL he made some remarks to that extent). We can’t be certain that is THE reason for his change of mind but that is the information we outsiders have.

I believe people need to stand behind their words, even a 17 year old kid. If he wants to decommit for a good reason (new coach, NCAA sanctions, etc. after his commitment), I’m fine with it. But according to his own tweet, that does not seem to be the situation as he indicated he will consider UofL if they continue recruiting him. We all want to play, work, live nearby, spend more time, etc. with friends. But that is not the real life. We all have to work, play, live nearby, etc. with strangers that hopefully become new friends or we just find out are just a bunch of A. Holes. Unfortunately we don’t live in Disney World. He should be aware of that by now as well as know that his friend’s needs are not going to necessarily match his needs.

casualfan
09-17-2013, 09:38 AM
I believe people need to stand behind their words, even a 17 year old kid. .

I assume we can find similar comments from you about Mack and staff in the Melvin Swift thread?

BandAid
09-17-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm more of the mind that a friend is not a good reason to pick a school. For example, many times nowadays you hear of people transferring or making school decisions based on a girlfriend. I think that's silly. Pick a school that suits you. It's your education.

Whether that applies to two young who probably won't be in school for more than two years...eh, maybe not so much

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
09-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I assume we can find similar comments from you about Mack and staff in the Melvin Swift thread?

I believe that kid was not treated fairly by us. However, I try not to speak negatively of my Alma Mater so I believe I did not post my opinion in that thread or any other. At any rate, go see for yourself and don't make an ass of u and me.

Xman95
09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I've said many times that the NCAA can put an end to the rash of decommits and the growing trend of offering scholarships to kids that seem way too young (like 8th graders and freshmen). Let schools offer scholarships whenever they want. However, a player can accept the scholarship AND SIGN whenever they want. So if a school offers an 8th grader and he accepts, he can sign right then and there. However, he is now bound to that scholarship. Same goes for a high school junior. If he signs, he's committed. On the flipside, universities cannot get out of the agreement either. If a promising 8th grader signs and turns into crap 4 yrs later, tough luck for the school.

This simple change would help eliminate some of the lunacy we see with recruiting.

blueblob06
09-18-2013, 08:19 AM
I've said many times that the NCAA can put an end to the rash of decommits and the growing trend of offering scholarships to kids that seem way too young (like 8th graders and freshmen). Let schools offer scholarships whenever they want. However, a player can accept the scholarship AND SIGN whenever they want. So if a school offers an 8th grader and he accepts, he can sign right then and there. However, he is now bound to that scholarship. Same goes for a high school junior. If he signs, he's committed. On the flipside, universities cannot get out of the agreement either. If a promising 8th grader signs and turns into crap 4 yrs later, tough luck for the school.

This simple change would help eliminate some of the lunacy we see with recruiting.
Ha I like it! Imagine the hilarity (if that's a word) of a Kansas or UK making a huge miss on a kid and then having him eat a scholarship for 4 years at the end of a bench.

More Cowbell
09-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't that just lead to a lot of transfers?

Xman95
09-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Wouldn't that just lead to a lot of transfers?

Yes and no. You would have a lot of kids staying at the university because they actually suck at the sport and are just eating up the scholarship (schools wouldn't be allowed to revoke for lack of athletic production). Then, the kids that are good may not want to sit out for a year. Maybe make the rule that you must sit for two years if you transfer.

I think we would see a lot of kids holding off on their decisions and more colleges waiting before getting involved with a kid. However, if a smaller program - like, say, dayton! - wants to roll the dice and offer an 8th grader, perhaps he commits and they get lucky and land a stud.

Nigel Tufnel
12-26-2013, 09:26 AM
http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1790

Anyone with any insider info know if this article is accurate? How in the world could we possibly be looking at another 2014 recruit? Article is dated Dec. 20th.....

Xman95
12-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Apparently we're still in the mix, but it seems like we're not one of the top options. I think Kansas would be in the lead (Lyle is very close with one of the Jayhawk commits), West Virginia seems to be a legit contender and a couple others are pushing as well. Perhaps one of the folks on the board with a little more inside info can let us know just how hard X is pushing to get him or if they're in a "well, if he happens to fall to us we'll take him" mode.

danaandvictory
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Apparently we're still in the mix, but it seems like we're not one of the top options. I think Kansas would be in the lead (Lyle is very close with one of the Jayhawk commits), West Virginia seems to be a legit contender and a couple others are pushing as well. Perhaps one of the folks on the board with a little more inside info can let us know just how hard X is pushing to get him or if they're in a "well, if he happens to fall to us we'll take him" mode.

I really don't think X is in any position to take another commit for 2014. They may be staying in the mix in case the kid decides to reclassify, I don't know. They are two over as it stands now.

waggy
01-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I really don't think X is in any position to take another commit for 2014. They may be staying in the mix in case the kid decides to reclassify, I don't know. They are two over as it stands now.

I think they always just stay in contact because recruiting is always potentially in flux, and because the relationships that are developed in the process are genuine.

Is seems that high level recruits are coming available/re-available later in the process.