PDA

View Full Version : DeJuan Marrero (Commit Other)

More Cowbell
09-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Small forward
Gary, Indiana
Bowman Academy
AAU: Spiece Indy Heat
Ht:6'5"
Wt:200 lbs
Class:2012 (High School)

Marrero01 #Shoutout to Xavier Univ they just offered....

xufan02
09-17-2010, 06:59 AM
This kid is your glue guy ala Cage at the SF spot. I want him in a Xavier uni.

MemphisRoar
10-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Marrero will be in attendance for Muskateer Madness tomorrow night.

Check out our recent article and interview with him here:
http://memphisroar.com/2010/10/marrero-making/

SixFig
10-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Nicely written article.

madness31
10-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Sounds like he would be a do it all type player and a great get.

SixFig
10-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Justin Cage clone from the sound of it.

sash19
10-22-2010, 07:41 AM

Not being a smart ass at all but its Musketeer not Muskateer. Just a pet peeve, sorry! Did like the article though...Thanks for sharing it....

kyxu
10-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Not being a smart ass at all but its Musketeer not Muskateer. Just a pet peeve, sorry! Did like the article though...Thanks for sharing it....

it is = it's

sash19
10-22-2010, 08:31 AM
it is = it's

Hell of alot different that spelling the nickname of the school wrong....So I didnt put ' in-blame that on no spell check!

MemphisRoar
10-22-2010, 09:50 AM

My apologies. I should have double checked my spelling. Won't happen again!

But hey, I got it right in the article at least :)

Glad y'all enjoyed it... He's a good and hard working kid.

PS: I've watched Dez Wells (2011 XU commit) numerous times, and he IS the real deal. Absolutely love his game. You guys got a good one with him. He's very humble too.

X-man
10-22-2010, 10:46 AM
My apologies. I should have double checked my spelling. Won't happen again!

But hey, I got it right in the article at least :)

Glad y'all enjoyed it... He's a good and hard working kid.

PS: I've watched Dez Wells (2011 XU commit) numerous times, and he IS the real deal. Absolutely love his game. You guys got a good one with him. He's very humble too.

No worries, mate. Thanks for the link, and the firsthand observations on Dez's game. We have very high expectations about that young man, and everything we hear and read about him suggest that those expectations are well-founded.

BandAid
10-22-2010, 02:41 PM

I like the quick hits interview at the end. He sounds like great kid...although 360 over the ps3?! Really? The only thing the 360 has goin for it is Halo...

MemphisRoar
10-22-2010, 03:30 PM
No worries, mate. Thanks for the link, and the firsthand observations on Dez's game. We have very high expectations about that young man, and everything we hear and read about him suggest that those expectations are well-founded.

I talked to him a good bit during the time when Memphis was recruiting Wall and CJ Leslie (and Wells played with them two at Word of God)... Dez was always saying "Yes sir, no sir, thank you, etc." Only one in that bunch like him. He has a quiet way about his game but gets it done.

Compliments to you all and your coach for recruiting high character guys.

BBC 08
10-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I like the quick hits interview at the end. He sounds like great kid...although 360 over the ps3?! Really? The only thing the 360 has goin for it is Halo...

I like the controller better for the 360. So it has that going for it, which is nice.

shock3
10-23-2010, 11:39 PM
any report on Marrero's visit? He was there with other Indiana players DSR and Michael Chandler.

TheHoopSide1
12-15-2010, 07:40 PM
www.thehoopside.com/top-prospects.php
One thing that usually frustrates me when Marrero comes to mind is that people automatically assume his is simply an undersized PF (mainly due to his rebounding numbers 12/game as a soph). And while he is listed at 6'5" I got the opportunity to talk with him face to face. As I stand 6'7", we talked eye to eye (note that that was something I was looking for; his height). Granted, I had on loafers and he had on Bball shoes, but he was an imposing figure on the court against simeon (as you can see by the following link)
www.thehoopside.com/dejuan-marrero.php (includes rating, notes, highlight tape, as well as interview (at bottom))
He is one of the best rebounders in the class and he his very long, but not only that he has a lot of "wirey" strength as well. You wouldn't assume it from looking at his frame, but then he sends a 6'7" 230 PF flopping to the ground, skies for a rebound, and then hits his AUTOMATIC spot up jumper time after time. He could use a little work on his 3 and dribbling to become an elite collegiate player, but right now he is a tremendous talent.
See how ratings are determined here:
www.thehoopside.com/ratings.php

www.youtube.com/thehoopside1
www.twitter.com/thehoopside1

waggy
12-15-2010, 07:41 PM
HoopSide, please see your inbox.

bobbiemcgee
12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
One thing that usually frustrates me when Marrero comes to mind is that people automatically assume his is simply an undersized PF (mainly due to his rebounding numbers 12/game as a soph). And while he is listed at 6'5" I got the opportunity to talk with him face to face. As I stand 6'7", we talked eye to eye (note that that was something I was looking for; his height). Granted, I had on loafers and he had on Bball shoes, but he was an imposing figure on the court against simeon (as you can see by the following link)
www.thehoopside.com/dejuan-marrero.php (includes rating, notes, highlight tape, as well as interview (at bottom))
He is one of the best rebounders in the class and he his very long, but not only that he has a lot of "wirey" strength as well. You wouldn't assume it from looking at his frame, but then he sends a 6'7" 230 PF flopping to the ground, skies for a rebound, and then hits his AUTOMATIC spot up jumper time after time. He could use a little work on his 3 and dribbling to become an elite collegiate player, but right now he is a tremendous talent.
See how ratings are determined here:
www.thehoopside.com/ratings.php

www.youtube.com/thehoopside1
www.twitter.com/thehoopside1

Hoopman...what's our chances with this guy. I think we only have one spot left and guessing it will be somebody in Indiana.

TheHoopSide1
12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
As it stands I would put Illinois as the leader in his recruitment, but he has been quoted as saying he won't make his decision until after next AAU season, so its either a toss up for second, or he is holding out for a Duke. Xavier's chances are just as good as anyones, but like I said, I think Illinois has the upper hand as of now. I would definitely try to get him to visit (he has played 2 games the past 2 years at U of I so hes been on the floor and gotten a feel for the campus). But with all the Indiana talent X is introducing, that may be a good selling point to use on Marrero: I think that is something he would go for.

bobbiemcgee
12-15-2010, 11:09 PM
He's already been to X when DSR committed, I believe.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
12-16-2010, 09:58 AM
In case you did not know, Marrero is a Puertorrican descendent who already played for the Puerto Rico U19 basketball team. According to recent news, it is highly probable that Rick Pitino will be coaching the PR adult basketball team. If Marrero is not considering Louisville, he might now depending on the type of contact Pitino will have with Marrero if he ends up coaching PR. As an XU alumnus from PR, I wanted to talk to Marrero and his mother about XU (not basketball – he knows about that much more than me and I’m sure he is well aware of the success of our team) and the great experienced I had there. I did not want to mess anything up so I contacted XU first. I was told NOT to contact them so I did not. I have a feeling this kid will be not good, but sensational. In case there is any doubt, I hereby admit I’m biased. I just hope we get him.

EDIT: Sorry. Read the hoopside infor after posting.

TheHoopSide1
12-16-2010, 10:56 PM
In case you did not know, Marrero is a Puertorrican descendent who already played for the Puerto Rico U19 basketball team. According to recent news, it is highly probable that Rick Pitino will be coaching the PR adult basketball team. If Marrero is not considering Louisville, he might now depending on the type of contact Pitino will have with Marrero if he ends up coaching PR. As an XU alumnus from PR, I wanted to talk to Marrero and his mother about XU (not basketball – he knows about that much more than me and I’m sure he is well aware of the success of our team) and the great experienced I had there. I did not want to mess anything up so I contacted XU first. I was told NOT to contact them so I did not. I have a feeling this kid will be not good, but sensational. In case there is any doubt, I hereby admit I’m biased. I just hope we get him.

EDIT: Sorry. Read the hoopside infor after posting.

Haha it is ok. I don't think he is considering Louisville though, which is good for any other school involved. I don't know how that works out for Pitino, I understand it is a national team, but I feel like he shouldn't be able to (kinda like a college coach coaching the All-Ohio Red team..it doesn't make NCAA Rule sense..).

TheHoopSide1
12-17-2010, 12:30 AM
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/article_232c6b82-3c8b-5a87-a399-23b5fd5fd4da.html

JimmyTwoTimes37
12-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Marrero 26 and 14 rbs for Bowman against DSR tonight.

He may be undersized for his position, but everything I hear about him is that he is a tenacious rebounder

TheHoopSide1
12-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Marrero 26 and 14 rbs for Bowman against DSR tonight.

He may be undersized for his position, but everything I hear about him is that he is a tenacious rebounder

I heard 26 n 14 too but nwitimes.com had him at 28 and 15.. and he truly isnt undersized...see previous posts.
defensively (and rebounding) ..think a skinny carlos boozer
offensively ..shawn marion minus the consistant 3. he has another year to add that three and some dribbling skills.

www.thehoopside.com/dejuan-marrero.php

JimmyTwoTimes37
12-18-2010, 12:11 AM
I heard 26 n 14 too but nwitimes.com had him at 28 and 15.. and he truly isnt undersized...see previous posts.
defensively (and rebounding) ..think a skinny carlos boozer
offensively ..shawn marion minus the consistant 3. he has another year to add that three and some dribbling skills.

www.thehoopside.com/dejuan-marrero.php

Nice analysis. Any idea on when he will make a decision?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read the article you posted earlier.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
12-21-2010, 11:01 AM
HoopSide check this article from Jeff Goodman about what moved Pitino to coach the Puerto Rico National Team. Marrero is not mentioned but (just like me) Goodman thinks Pitino is trying to get advantage on recruiting. Many good basketball players in Puerto Rico but almost no one recruits there. Here is the link http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/rick-pitino-has-secret-motivation-for-coaching-puerto-rico-122010

TheHoopSide1
12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
HoopSide check this article from Jeff Goodman about what moved Pitino to coach the Puerto Rico National Team. Marrero is not mentioned but (just like me) Goodman thinks Pitino is trying to get advantage on recruiting. Many good basketball players in Puerto Rico but almost no one recruits there. Here is the link http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/rick-pitino-has-secret-motivation-for-coaching-puerto-rico-122010

I agree entirely, and nice read, thanks a lot Musketeer. Not to step on any toes but Louisville always manages to have a few solid latino players (Fransisco Garcia, Peyton Siva, etc.). Memphis' Angel Garcia came out of East Chicago (IN) and won a state championship with E'Twaun Moore (Purdue) was born in Puerto Rico, and you better believe if Pitino was the coach of that squad, Garcia, as well as (perhaps) Marrero, would end up giving Louisville another look. But I also think this puts Pitino in an awkward position for recruiting in the summer. Coach K can do it, because its USA Olympic team, and he is after all, COACH K. But with the scandal that has been clouding Pitino lately, and the fact that Louisville has not been as prominent as it usually was (or used to be), I think that Puerto Rico isn't a "popular" enough team to give him recognition to recruits.

Translation--it may be a good recruiting tool, but only for a small handful of recruits (and just because he coaches the team doesn't mean the players will like him or pick "Ville" over any other school. And the Puerto Rican team, while solid, isn't prominent enough for him to dedicate this much time that he could spend recruiting within the states.

xufan02
12-24-2010, 08:10 AM
I really do not see Marrero ending up at Xavier. If I had to guess it would be Illinois. We will probably take three in the 2012 class, DSR, another scorer/shooter and a space eater; Marrero does not fit that profile. He is a junk yard dog, CJ Anderson type player.

TheHoopSide1
12-25-2010, 12:21 AM
I really do not see Marrero ending up at Xavier. If I had to guess it would be Illinois. We will probably take three in the 2012 class, DSR, another scorer/shooter and a space eater; Marrero does not fit that profile. He is a junk yard dog, CJ Anderson type player.

I agree entirely. Although a long-shot conspiracy theory I have is that Marrero is holding out for whoever wins the national title. That isn't saying that the national championship team will necessarily offer him, but he keeps saying he will not announce his descison until AFTER next AAU season (it makes it seem like he wants the opportunity to show more schools what hes got). I don't know though, it is just weird that the time he would commit is dead set on being after next AAU season...

If I had to say though, I would pick Illinois as the front runner.

-He plays for Thea Bowman who is almost Guaranteed to win state in 1A every year (smallest division)
-He plays on the same AAU team as Marquis Teague
All meaning he just wants to win, and the fact that he is holding his cards so close leaves much room to speculate.

shock3
12-28-2010, 05:54 PM
I have heard recently that although Marrero holds an offer from Xavier, Xavier will not be pursuing him very hard. They are looking for a player that is bigger and more athletic for the 4 spot and don't see him being able to play the 3 at the next level.

TheHoopSide1
01-15-2011, 01:52 AM
X is looking for a guy who can play the 4 or 3 (probably in that order) regardless: Marrero "retweeted" (For those of you who don't know..if someone tweets something and you agree with or like it, you "retweet" it) "X to the U.."
Wouldn't hold up in court, but ya gotta start somewhere.

xufan02
01-15-2011, 06:37 AM
X is looking for a guy who can play the 4 or 3 (probably in that order) regardless: Marrero "retweeted" (For those of you who don't know..if someone tweets something and you agree with or like it, you "retweet" it) "X to the U.."
Wouldn't hold up in court, but ya gotta start somewhere.

We could always use a skilled combo forward like Marrero, but I think we have more pressing needs in the 2012 class. DSR, Anderson, Myles, Graham, Harris are the priorities at guard. We also have 3-4 big men on the list to fill the center spot when Kenny graduates next season.

I think if someone leaves the team in the offseason Marrero becomes a priority.

JimmyTwoTimes37
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Committed to Depaul

DeJuanMarrero DeJuan Rico Marrero
The college that I choose that everybody been waiting to hear is Depaul University!!! Big East Baby!!!

PMI
08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I like Marrero's game a lot and he is a real banger, but he made an awful life choice.

MADXSTER
08-30-2011, 07:30 PM
I like Marrero's game a lot and he is a real banger, but he made an awful life choice.

I don't know about that. I didn't get the impression that any one school was really going after him hard. Don't get me wrong, Depaul sucks imo but it may have been the highest profile school that was really going after him.