PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Sellout.

Kahns Krazy
09-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I have to admit, I'm a little surprised that Sunday's game is a sellout. I don't know if there's going to be a lot of Baltimore fans in the stadium, but with the way the first place Reds have been drawing lately, I kind of figured that people's sporting ticket expenditures were down.

Snipe
09-16-2010, 11:20 AM
The Bengals won a bunch of close games early last year and faded down the stretch. The end of the season was pathetic. That said, sweeping Pittsburgh and taking the division made me beam with pride. I hate them. I teach my children to hate them*.

Given last years end and the first 20 minutes of the Patriots game, we really need a win right now or I am getting that same old Bengal feeling...

*It is best to start as soon as they can speak. Late at night when you are putting them to bed say things like "The Pittsburgh Steelers hurt mommy!".

XULucho27
09-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm not really surprised it's a sellout. I'm sure some corporation stepped up and bought a large block of tickets to give away for a contest or re-sell, etc. And I'm sure support for the team hasn't dramatically dwindled that quickly.

The first 20 minutes of that Patriots game really made me cringe but (and I realize the game was out of hand) there were some positives for the O in the second half. However, I do agree with you Snipe a loss on Sunday and that old, familiar feeling will be creeping up once again.

Kahns Krazy
09-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm not really surprised it's a sellout. I'm sure some corporation stepped up and bought a large block of tickets to give away for a contest or re-sell, etc. And I'm sure support for the team hasn't dramatically dwindled that quickly.

I don't think that's the case. This one sold out on the regular timetable. Usually the corporate buy outs happen in the extended window. Maybe I'm worng, but they didn't announce anything like this. If I were the corporation that did the buy out, I'd be pretty pissed if they didn't give me the props for it.

boozehound
09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
It is early in the season coming off of a season in which the Bengals made the playoffs. Yeah, they had a bad first half last week but playing NE in NE is never easy. I am curious to see which Bengals team shows up tomorrow. We have played the Ravens very well historically, not that it has much bearing on this game.

nuts4xu
09-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I will be there, and I am not buying my ticket from some corporate big wig either.

drudy23
09-16-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't care who buys em...it's on TV...all that matters to me.

Muskie
09-16-2010, 02:07 PM
How many Raven fans will be there?

Jumpy
09-16-2010, 07:13 PM
How many Raven fans will be there?

From having made the trip going the opposite way (from Cincy to B'more), I can tell you that it is an easy one to make in a weekend. Historically, though, Ravens fans don't travel very well. At least to Cincy.

Cheesehead
09-16-2010, 09:16 PM
I thought about getting tickets but I can't rationalize the expenditure of one NFL game
(tickets, parking, food, beer) when I can get XU season tickets for not a whole lot more.

Daugherty wrote a decent article about this dilemma last Sunday. I would rather watch it in HD on my 46 inch flat screen and not spend the money or deal with some of the fans down there.

GoMuskies
09-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I go to every NFL game that someone gives me a free ticket to. And no others.

Kahns Krazy
09-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I thought about getting tickets but I can't rationalize the expenditure of one NFL game
(tickets, parking, food, beer) when I can get XU season tickets for not a whole lot more.

Daugherty wrote a decent article about this dilemma last Sunday. I would rather watch it in HD on my 46 inch flat screen and not spend the money or deal with some of the fans down there.

I tailgate with a good group. If my tailgate falls apart (which is increasingly likely with the ongoing development of the Banks encroaching on our tailgate lot), it will substantially change my enjoyment of Bengals home games. While I enjoy the experience of the NFL, I will have a hard time justifying my current season tickets without the full day experience.

It's hard to rationalize any sporting event tickets. Look at the season cost for decent Reds tickets. Why wouldn't you just watch those games at home on TV? Even Xavier tickets, which are relatively inexpensive, are hard to justify on their own compared to watching the game at home on TV.

Cheesehead
09-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I tailgate with a good group. If my tailgate falls apart (which is increasingly likely with the ongoing development of the Banks encroaching on our tailgate lot), it will substantially change my enjoyment of Bengals home games. While I enjoy the experience of the NFL, I will have a hard time justifying my current season tickets without the full day experience.

It's hard to rationalize any sporting event tickets. Look at the season cost for decent Reds tickets. Why wouldn't you just watch those games at home on TV? Even Xavier tickets, which are relatively inexpensive, are hard to justify on their own compared to watching the game at home on TV.

Well, here's the difference with NFL. I really can't afford to waste an entire Sunday every week with the whole tailgating thing. There's always shit to do around the house. Not to mention the adverse effect it would have on my liver. I do enough damage on my own. I have kids and they often have their own games which I want to attend more than a Bengals game. I'm also a Packer fan so when it comes down to it, I care more about them and the Muskies than the good 'ole Bengals. I am passionate about XU basketball; the Bengals not so much.

X-band '01
09-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Here's a surprise - the one game that WILL be blacked out will be the Chargers' home opener - per ESPN they were 7,000 fans short of a sellout. There was no mention of the Bengals - that would also intimate that the Bengals had the sellout by the 1 PM deadline today.

The only other team mentioned was Detroit - they have a 24-hour extension in place to sell out their game and avoid a blackout.

ESPN Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5581180)

boozehound
09-17-2010, 08:03 AM

Going to an NFL game is an experience though. You tailgate before, hang out with friends, drink and cook food. It is a lot of fun, and I think to most fans it is about more than just watching the game.

It is definitely also expensive and time consuming, though.

I am with you in that I just can't spend my Sundays at PBS all day. I prefer college football so I watch that all day Saturday. I also like to play golf, so I often will play on Sundays and try to schedule around the Bengals games.

I do usually get tickets to 1 or 2 home games a season and I have a great time tailgating with friends and watching the game at the Stadium.

Kahns Krazy
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Well, here's the difference with NFL. I really can't afford to waste an entire Sunday every week with the whole tailgating thing. There's always shit to do around the house. Not to mention the adverse effect it would have on my liver. I do enough damage on my own. I have kids and they often have their own games which I want to attend more than a Bengals game. I'm also a Packer fan so when it comes down to it, I care more about them and the Muskies than the good 'ole Bengals. I am passionate about XU basketball; the Bengals not so much.

I think this is the reality for most fans of anything. If it's something you're in to, the ticket price and the time commitment are something you prioritize. If not, it seems like a waste. I'm sure there are some unenlighted people out there that would view spending a couple hours at the Cintas as a waste.

Personally, I think Daugerty is a terrible journalist. He's right that the TV experience has improved some ways as a result of technological improvements, but I'm not sure that I believe that many fans are choosing to watch the game at home now simply because of the better TV picture. My guess is that it has far more to do with the global economy being in the terlit.

Cheesehead
09-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Kahn: To each their own but I absolutely believe HD and better camera angles have had an impact in whether it's worth it for a fan to shell out the bucks for a sporting event. Football is the perfect sport for TV; it's almost tailor made for it. Times are tough.

I have actually discussed this with a few friends lately and many of them work on commission and as we all know, things have been down the past couple of years. Their household budgets are tighter, and across the board, they are all more inclined to sit at home and watch the games on HD. I will concede that this may change if their incomes return to their former figures.

I understand the whole tailgating thing. I have done it many times for football and baseball. I would probably do it for certain XU games if XU50 and Xavier allowed it. I grew up going to Brewer games and they open the parking lots about 4 hours before a game. The place is packed with pop up-tents, coolers, grills, frisbees, cornhole, etc., and this was just for a regular home game. It's one big party. They make Bengal games look like Sunday mass.

So, I guess I'm saying the economy and the HD experience go hand in hand. People are realizing I really don't have the discretional income, plus the games look pretty damn good on my TV, so I will just watch it at home.

Snipe
09-17-2010, 11:38 AM
I love watching at home with my kids. If I had enough disposable income I would take my kids to every game and tailgate. That is good stuff. My kids wouldn't want me to go without them though, and taking the kids is where it really gets expensive. I don't blame the people that go and love it. Nothing like the NFL baby, and nothing like the feeling of a big game. I used to go all the time with my brothers. The memories are priceless. When Kahns wins the powerball I am going to make him buy me tickets for me and my kids AND provide busfare.

nuts4xu
09-17-2010, 11:53 AM
When Kahns wins the powerball I am going to make him buy me tickets for me and my kids AND provide busfare.

Won't you be able to take the streetcar by then?

Kahns Krazy
10-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I hate this crap.

This Sunday’s 1 p.m. Bengals home game against Tampa Bay is officially a sellout, the club’s ticket office announced Thursday. The game is the club’s 55th consecutive sellout in regular season and postseason play, and it will air live on Fox19 (WXIX-TV) in Cincinnati.

In spite of the blackout being lifted, there are seats remaining for the game. They can be purchased by phone through the Bengals Ticket Hotline at 513-621-8383 (TDTD). Additionally, tickets may be ordered at any time today through Saturday by clicking here. Also, tickets may be purchased in person at the Bengals ticket office at Paul Brown Stadium on game day beginning at 9 a.m.

Fox19, Kroger and Fifth Third Bank led the way in helping ensure the blackout would be lifted, and the Bengals purchased tickets for distribution to local military families. Additionally, Bud Light, AT&T and Gold Star played key roles in assisting with efforts to allow the game to be aired live.

It takes a village to sell out a Bengals game.

Lamont Sanford
10-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Dear Fox 19/Kroger/Fifth-Third/Bud Light/AT&T/Gold Star Chili -

Thank you again for bailing the fans out. Hahahahahahahahaha. $$$$$$$$$$.

Katie and Troy also say 'thanks'.

Sincerelely,
Mike Brown

Kahns Krazy
10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
dear fox 19/kroger/fifth-third/bud light/at&t/gold star chili -

thank you again for bailing the fans out. Hahahahahahahahaha. $$$$$$$$$$.

Katie says thanks and Troy would also say thanks if Katie would let him.

sincerelely,
mike brown

ftfy

Smooth
10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
ftfy

Would rep ya if I could.

drudy23
10-08-2010, 07:46 AM
That's the thing that is annoying to me about going to Bengals games...it's not about the game. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy tailgating and the "experience" and all that...but the main reason I go is because I like to watch football.

Most people there want to get as drunk as possible, want to get in a fight, want to see how many people they can talk to...the game is secondary.

If you took away tailgating, the Bengals would never sell out.

Juice
10-08-2010, 08:55 AM
That's the thing that is annoying to me about going to Bengals games...it's not about the game. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy tailgating and the "experience" and all that...but the main reason I go is because I like to watch football.

Most people there want to get as drunk as possible, want to get in a fight, want to see how many people they can talk to...the game is secondary.

Amen. Bengals fans aren't really Bengals fans. They just pretend to be because they show up every Sunday to get drunk, not that there is anything wrong with getting drunk but it doesn't make you a fan.

Snipe
10-08-2010, 08:58 AM

People watch the game. We had season tics for years before I had kids and I never even tailgated. Nothing like being at a big game. Are you kidding me? Pittsburgh? Cleve Land? Priceless.

Do some people get drunk and network? Sure. I like those people too. Some people are born to network and are always busy. The world needs them. Do some chicks like to go to show a bit of tail? Hell to the Yeah! And I never did mind that either. If no kids are around you can just about yell anything at a football game. It is one part of American society where you are allowed to do anything you want and everyone is happy as long as the team is winning. I used to yell "Sodamize Pets" just for effect in my younger days and nobody cared. I once took a sign that said "Chuck Knoll wears women's panties". It was a crude sign but it got some applause. I also like to talk up Art Modell and his professionalism whenever I am at a Browns game. They hate that.

But the game is the thing, and I went to watch the game. I lived and died for the game and I still do. I spend three hours cussing at my television set every Sunday. Actually I have had kids soccer games and I follow the game and cuss to myself on the phone, but if I was home I would cuss loud and proper at the TV if they weren't around. I remember Boomer. I remember going to those games. I went to the Super Bowl down in Miami. I love being at the game. I miss being at the game. If I had the money I would be at the game with my family. But I got to pay for private school and college for these ungrateful bastards, and that 52 inch Hi-Def flat screen isn't a bad substitute. Plus if I took them I couldn't get drunk anyway.

I hate when kids get in the way of my drinking problem.

Plenty of people at the game are there for the game. They may have fun seeing lifelong friends at the tailgate, but the game is the thing. Maybe we have a culture where we lost for so long the tailgate was more fun than the game, but you can blame that on the team. The people that pay and go to games want to win, and they want to win bad. That is a fact. I have been to over a hundred games and I was probably drunk in just a few of them, probably single digits. I love being at the game. Nothing like a big game in the NFL. And even while sober I loved the drunk bastards.

dc_x
10-08-2010, 09:12 AM
IMO, the fan experience at an NFL game is awful. Everyone is piss drunk. The games take forever because there are so many commercial breaks. During the commercial breaks the stadium scoreboard is hardly entertaining. You don't get to see a lot of replays. During the beginning of the season it's too d@mn hot and by the end it's too d@mn cold. Beers cost $8.

Why would anyone pay a minimum of $75 to go to a game? If you really love to tailgate, just tailgate and then go home or to a sports bar to watch.

drudy23
10-08-2010, 09:45 AM
IMO, the fan experience at an NFL game is awful. Everyone is piss drunk. The games take forever because there are so many commercial breaks. During the commercial breaks the stadium scoreboard is hardly entertaining. You don't get to see a lot of replays. During the beginning of the season it's too d@mn hot and by the end it's too d@mn cold. Beers cost $8.

Why would anyone pay a minimum of $75 to go to a game? If you really love to tailgate, just tailgate and then go home or to a sports bar to watch.

...and the reason why I would never buy season tickets to the Bengals. I can handle this 1-2 times a year...but I'm perfectly content watching the game from my couch in the comforts of my own home...and I don't even have HD.

The price, the crowd, and the weather are the main factors for me....price being number one. Not that I can't afford it...but it's so overpriced, I won't buy just on principle alone.

Snipe
10-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I can't believe that Xavier fans are complaing about drunks. It makes me sad.

I am glad that people bought up all the seats so I can watch it at home for free. The price is a big thing. Take a family of four down and get tickets, parking, and food and drinks and you are talking several hundred dollars. I can't put that out every other Sunday. And compare that to the price of a huge Hi-Def Flatscreen that you will have for years and many games and the economics of it are obvious to me. I love watching the games with my kids. My kids don't though, they can't stand seeing daddy so angry all the time. It sucks to be a Bengals fan. It is like you got married and you wife refused to sleep with you. Talk about frustration.

Imagine if we lived in Pittsburgh (I hate them). We wouldn't be talking about how overpriced it is or how drunk everyone is, we would be begging people and pulling in favors for tickets. People that can't get tickets there go on the road to see them play live in the Nati every year. I hate those bastards.

I love the NFL.