PDA

View Full Version : Cheating College Coaches?

drudy23
09-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Getting bored with the same topics...here's a new one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15234/an-open-letter-to-college-coaches-everywhere

I would doubt anyone is "surprised" this goes on...reinforces the idea, at least to me, that college athletics are aligned with "institutions of learning" like church is aligned with state.

Let's quit acting like coaches and players view college as "learning environments".

GoMuskies
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Sort of funny. I had exactly one college coach call me for recruiting purposes. And he called me once. He was the coach of an NAIA baseball team that would win about 15 games total over the four years I would have played for him (and that total probably would have dropped to 14 if I had gone there). And he called me at a time when he was not allowed to reach out to recruits.

If THAT guy was willing to make an impermissible phone to ME of all people, I tend to think that it's right that all coaches have made phone calls they weren't supposed to.

rhyno2110
09-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Thats funny. My friend had a college baseball coach call him when they weren't allowed to, and he didn't return the call because the college was less than stellar, the coach was ugly (not sure what that has to do with anything), and it was illegal.

wkrq59
09-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Because apparently you all cheat, and that doesn't seem to bother any of you enough to say these sorts of things on the record. I'm not sure whether that bothers me. I imagine, if it was my job to talk about integrity to 12-year-old campers every summer, or to mold 18-year-old boys into 22-year-old men, it would. Just a thought.

The above is what bothers me most about this piece, whose true purpose I have a hard time discerning other than "written to make money." During my 40 years beneath the masthead, I learned that while many follow the peca fortiter motto, there are others, many in the smaller programs whose success is often limited by the big BCS schools who do not cheat.
The author is right about one thing, the excessive phone calls rule is silly. It's just an attempt to shut down somebody else's mousetrap which is better. As for all the rest of it, you can bet if when this new NCAA president gets going, the little guys will continue to be screwed. And the agents, the runners and the AAU charlatans will continue to cheat back door. But I want to ponder a question. Do yoou think the coach ASVSM was so pissed at Xavier and Chris Mack because they wouldn't pay an interview or finders fee? Not accusing. Just asking.
:logo::shield::sword: