PDA

View Full Version : Does Brian Kelly Lead ND to a BCS Game?

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 03:06 PM
7-0 ND over U of M right now after a vintage Kelly opening drive. U of M, with a Pat White style QB, is lead by Rich Rodriguez. This is like a BE game. I'm thinking with better talent Kelly is even more dangerous, although, at times I wonder if Kelly's style can play up with the big boys.

09/04/10 vs. Purdue TV Notre Dame, Ind. W, 23-12
09/11/10 vs. Michigan TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
09/18/10 at Michigan State TV East Lansing, Mich. 8:00 p.m. ET
09/25/10 vs. Stanford TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
10/02/10 at Boston College Chestnut Hill, Mass. TBA
10/09/10 vs. Pittsburgh TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
10/16/10 vs. Western Michigan TV Notre Dame, Ind. 2:30 p.m. ET
10/23/10 at Navy TV East Rutherford, N.J. 12:00 p.m. ET
10/30/10 vs. Tulsa TV Notre Dame, Ind. 2:30 p.m. ET
11/13/10 vs. Utah TV Notre Dame, Ind. 2:30 p.m. ET
11/20/10 vs. Army TV Bronx, N.Y. (Yankee Stadium) 7:00 p.m. ET
11/27/10 at USC TV Los Angeles, Calif. 5:00 p.m. PT

That's a pretty tough schedule. Can they get 10 or 11 wins?

I'm reminded of the force of momentum that Kelly brought to UC, he just wins.

With USC down this year, this is a great chance for Kelly to capitalize.

I say they finish in the top 8.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Brilliant move by Kelly by pulling Crist. Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Brilliant move by Kelly by pulling Crist. Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed it while posting, what happened? 7-7 now on a turnover.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I missed it while posting, what happened? 7-7 now on a turnover.

Yes. yeah, apparently Crist was injured. So kelly shouldn't be to blame.

Sorry for going OT.

I think there's a 40% chance ND gets a BCS bowl this year (so they'll be close, but I say no). The schedule is easy.

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't mind at all. This might as well be a game thread as well.

3rd qb today for Kelly, Nate Montana, son of you know who. Poor kid looks terrified! Everybody's got to be ready on the ND sideline. They should learn that quick.

Kelly tendencies:

lot's of qb's
great on 3rd down
great kickers

So far their punter looks like crap.

GoMuskies
09-11-2010, 03:24 PM
09/04/10 vs. Purdue TV Notre Dame, Ind. W, 23-12
09/11/10 vs. Michigan TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
09/18/10 at Michigan State TV East Lansing, Mich. 8:00 p.m. ET
09/25/10 vs. Stanford TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
10/02/10 at Boston College Chestnut Hill, Mass. TBA
10/09/10 vs. Pittsburgh TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
10/16/10 vs. Western Michigan TV Notre Dame, Ind. 2:30 p.m. ET
10/23/10 at Navy TV East Rutherford, N.J. 12:00 p.m. ET
10/30/10 vs. Tulsa TV Notre Dame, Ind. 2:30 p.m. ET
11/13/10 vs. Utah TV Notre Dame, Ind. 2:30 p.m. ET
11/20/10 vs. Army TV Bronx, N.Y. (Yankee Stadium) 7:00 p.m. ET
11/27/10 at USC TV Los Angeles, Calif. 5:00 p.m. PT

That's a pretty tough schedule.

You think? I don't see a single good team away from home other than USC (questionable whether they will be any good). It's tough compared to Boise's schedule.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Doesn't Garry Massa, XU admin, have a QB son on the team. He might get in.

For his entire time at UC, whenever Kelly would bring in a new QB, they'd do awesome. Of course, he hasn't coached these players very long.

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 03:34 PM
You think? I don't see a single good team away from home other than USC (questionable whether they will be any good). It's tough compared to Boise's schedule.

I am just going off names, I don't follow too closely, but you've got a tough stretch from now until Pitt (who was ranked). Lot's of teams are playing fluffy opponents right now, not Notre Dame. 6 straight rivalry games to open the season. I'd agree there aren't any GREAT teams on the schedule we can see, but there are plenty of good ones.

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Kelly is a nut. 4th and 1 and half from his 45, down 14-7 2nd qtr, lines up to go for it, then tries to switch to a punt with 8 seconds on the play clock. Had to call time out.

Juice
09-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Doesn't Garry Massa, XU admin, have a QB son on the team. He might get in.

For his entire time at UC, whenever Kelly would bring in a new QB, they'd do awesome. Of course, he hasn't coached these players very long.

Luke Massa is at best 4th or 5th on the depth chart right now. Him and Andrew Hendrix from Moeller are behind Crist, Rees, and Montana.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Luke Massa is at best 4th or 5th on the depth chart right now. Him and Andrew Hendrix from Moeller are behind Crist, Rees, and Montana.

wow, ND has a lot of back up QBs.

GoMuskies
09-11-2010, 04:23 PM
That was an....interesting call.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 04:31 PM
must be a brutal half for ND fans. Because Mich looks beatable with a functioning QB.

Espe
09-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Joe,he is not.

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, Montana is worse than any UC QB I've seen over the last decade. Kelly could use a better athlete behind center, for sure.

That was an....interesting call.

It may take a while for ND fans to adapt to the "devil may care" approach. This is what I also mean about whether Kelly's philosophy will work against the top talent. It's not so easy to be a maverick as he makes it look, or is it?

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
On the topic of BCS, this is just one game...if ND gets through the first 6 at 4-2, they can run the table and play USC for a spot in the BCS. You know how voters sway for ND, too.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 05:03 PM
ND really is a much better team than mich.

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Rudolph with a 95 yard TD - a thing of beauty!

X-band '01
09-11-2010, 06:25 PM
ND really is a much better team than mich.

A 28-24 win by Michigan would say otherwise.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 06:28 PM
A 28-24 win by Michigan would say otherwise.

I'm really, really pumped that Mich won.

But Crist's injury really hurt ND (even in the 1st half, ND's D played well, but they didn't keep the ball long on offense and gave Mich many chances).

wow, not sure how mich pulled that out. But it was sweet.

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 06:34 PM
It's pretty clear the game would have been more in ND's favor had they not gone 20+ minutes with 2 awful qb's. Too bad, especially against U or M, all that matters is the scoreboard.

boozehound
09-11-2010, 06:55 PM
It's pretty clear the game would have been more in ND's favor had they not gone 20+ minutes with 2 awful qb's. Too bad, especially against U or M, all that matters is the scoreboard.

Michigan would probably be a lot better with Troy Woolfolk healthy as well, but he is out for the season. Injuries suck, but they happen. Just be glad Crist is OK.

ND is definitely on the upswing, but I think they need another year before they are a BCS bowl threat, no matter what Lou Holtz thinks.

As for Michigan, Robinson is definitely the real deal. We need to find a decent RB though and we can't keep giving up 100+ penalty yards in a game. Special teams was a major area of concern as well.

Overall I think ND and Michigan will both be alright this year, but both have some question marks.

pizza delivery
09-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Michigan would probably be a lot better with Troy Woolfolk healthy as well, but he is out for the season. Injuries suck, but they happen. Just be glad Crist is OK.

ND is definitely on the upswing, but I think they need another year before they are a BCS bowl threat, no matter what Lou Holtz thinks.

As for Michigan, Robinson is definitely the real deal. We need to find a decent RB though and we can't keep giving up 100+ penalty yards in a game. Special teams was a major area of concern as well.

Overall I think ND and Michigan will both be alright this year, but both have some question marks.

Within the context of this game, the injury situation clearly was a major deciding factor. Beyond that, ND has a porous D, nothing Kelly is unfamiliar dealing with. I still think it's a mistake to count Kelly out this early, especially since this game was so closely a win. As I said, if they go 4-2 to start that last game could decide a BCS birth.

boozehound
09-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Within the context of this game, the injury situation clearly was a major deciding factor. Beyond that, ND has a porous D, nothing Kelly is unfamiliar dealing with. I still think it's a mistake to count Kelly out this early, especially since this game was so closely a win. As I said, if they go 4-2 to start that last game could decide a BCS birth.

It's a fair point that the injury had an impact on the game, but I don't think it is fair to say that without taking into account Michigan's injury situation as well. Do injuries to key players only count if it happens during the game?

I think Kelly is going to do a fine job. They already look much better than any Notre Dame team in recent memory. I do not think he will make a BCS bowl though. I see them losing at least one more game, and I see that taking them out of the BCS hunt. For the record I don't think Michigan is making a BCS bowl either.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I really like B. Kelly. He's a great coach.

But he is an offensive guy. ND's issues for the past 15 years stem on D, where Kelly is more unproven. So I'm not sure how his tenure will turn out.

Today, ND's D played very well.

gladdenguy
09-11-2010, 08:30 PM

and if Michigan had a kicker and if they would have called that touchdown a fumble because he definitely dropped it before he crossed the goalline Michigan would have won by double digits. ND's favor? I think not.

GuyFawkes38
09-11-2010, 10:14 PM
The frusterating thing about the Rod era at Mich is that they show flashes of brilliance, but don't sustain it. Hopefully this year will be different.

X-band '01
09-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Michigan also started 4-0 last year, yet all they could manage in the "mediocre" Big 10 was a 1-7 record. Their QB was amazing today, but it's too soon to say that they're back.

kyxu
09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Michigan also started 4-0 last year, yet all they could manage in the "mediocre" Big 10 was a 1-7 record. Their QB was amazing today, but it's too soon to say that they're back.

Agreed. I feel like we were hearing all this about Tate Forcier this time last year, though Robinson is a much more talented, explosive player than Forcier.

Michigan's put up video game type numbers with Robinson, but he's not a big guy. You have to wonder whether running your QB 30 times per game is a sustainable offense, cause the kid is going to take some serious licks as the season progresses especially in the Big Ten.

It's certainly fun to watch for the time being though.

nuts4xu
09-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Muck Fichigan.

Hate them bastards.

DC Muskie
09-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm glad Kelly is not coaching Michigan. He is a great coach and we better start getting used to ND being good again.

GuyFawkes38
09-12-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm glad Kelly is not coaching Michigan. He is a great coach and we better start getting used to ND being good again.

As much I think Kelly is a really good coach, I won't believe that ND will be "good again" on a sustained level until they are.

gladdenguy
09-12-2010, 10:38 AM
As much I think Kelly is a really good coach, I won't believe that ND will be "good again" on a sustained level until they are.

I agree Guy. I'll believe it when I see it.

DC Muskie
09-12-2010, 11:54 AM

You won't believe it until you see it. Wow. Way to go out on a limb.

Kelly, unlike every other coach ND seems to hire in the last 15 years, actually wins. He won at the DII level, won at Central Michigan, won at Cincinnati.

His history has shown that he can coach. I don't think it's that far off thinking ND will be good again. I think everyone here knows I am not a ND fan.

GuyFawkes38
09-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I guess it depends on how you define "good again". I could see Kelly consistently having ND beat most of the teams on their schedule (Purdue, Navy, MSU, etc..). Some years they can squeak into a BCS game or, if not, a good bowl.

But if "good again" you mean top 10 program good, I doubt that (might not be a top 15 program). ND just isn't that type of program anymore. They don't get USC/Texas/bama/OSU/etc... talent. And that has little to do with coaching, but the program.

gladdenguy
09-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Notre Dame won't budge on the recruits they admit....Kelly will see how it is shortly.

GuyFawkes38
09-12-2010, 02:05 PM
yeah, I heard that Kelly's recruiting class at ND this year was ok but far from great.

Juice
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I guess it depends on how you define "good again". I could see Kelly consistently having ND beat most of the teams on their schedule (Purdue, Navy, MSU, etc..). Some years they can squeak into a BCS game or, if not, a good bowl.

But if "good again" you mean top 10 program good, I doubt that (might not be a top 15 program). ND just isn't that type of program anymore. They don't get USC/Texas/bama/OSU/etc... talent. And that has little to do with coaching, but the program.

ND was getting top 5 classes under Weis. I know many people claim the ND effect when it comes to those recruiting sites but Clausen and Crist were some of the top QBs in their class, Manti Teo was the best LB in his class, Michael Floyd was a highly ranked WR, etc.

BK appears to be the right coach, I just think the change in systems and in defensive formation will take some time, it also didn't help that they have no experienced QB.

pizza delivery
09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
What were Kelly's classes ranked at UC? Top 50? I wouldn't guess very high. He puts players in a position to win. He's a players coach in that he gives a lot of responsability, competes with them during the game (going for it on 4th down is a given inside the 50), yet he holds players responsible. They sharpen up quickly in his system. You won't see ND this sloppy (or hopefully with two scared, unathletic QB's) again.

mohr5150
09-12-2010, 02:45 PM
If yesterday's game was any indication on how Kelly is going to coach at ND, then I really don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Weis. To not kick a field goal when the ball is on the three with three seconds left on the clock before halftime down 21-7 and with Michigan getting the ball to begin the second half was a Charlie Weis move. And it cost ND the game yesterday. They had the ball on the 20 for the last play, which instead of being down 4 they would have been down 1 and the FG would have won the game. Instead, they had to go for a TD and Crist throws it to the tuba player instead of somewhere a receiver might actually have a chance to catch it. I'm not a fan of the idea that "he's won everywhere he's been". He hasn't really been anywhere special, and has gotten his ass handed to him when he's played any team in the top tier of the BCS. With the way ND schedules, they aren't going to play the Indiana States or crappy Big East teams UC played year in and year out. As an ND fan, I hope Kelly can finally be the guy who brings greatness back to the Golden Domers, but I will wait and see instead of heaping praise on what he has done someplace else. I remember very clearly everyone thinking Charlie Weis was the second coming after his first year. We all know how that ended.

waggy
09-12-2010, 03:14 PM
In hindsight not kicking the FG was a bad decision, but at the time, not knowing that Crist would return, it looked necessary to stay in the game.

Titanxman04
09-12-2010, 03:38 PM
In hindsight not kicking the FG was a bad decision, but at the time, not knowing that Crist would return, it looked necessary to stay in the game.

That ND team was a completely different team with Crist in the game. Everyone was saying to go for it on 4th there. I thought it was the right decision. Hindsight is 20/20, but the Irish were struggling and who knew what was going to happen. I agree with the decision.

Let me tell you, it was a fun game to be at, although disappointing in the end. I like Michigan, and certainly root for them usually, but ND is my team.

For the record, if you EVER have a chance to go to an ND game and haven't, you should certainly make the effort to do so. The history and tradition that school has, along with an AMAZING stadium, makes it worthwhile.

All the seats are right on top of the field, and even being three rows from the top one year, I still felt pretty damn close, and was able to watch the game without issue. The pictures are from my phone and they make it seem like you're twice as far as you are, but I am about thirteen rows up in the "second" level. Seriously, it's a fantastic place to see a game. This was right before the 95 yard BOMB to take the lead and give us Irish fans hope.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs657.snc4/61731_558385204698_28700659_32692037_8230861_n.jpg

GuyFawkes38
09-12-2010, 03:59 PM
ND was getting top 5 classes under Weis. I know many people claim the ND effect when it comes to those recruiting sites but Clausen and Crist were some of the top QBs in their class, Manti Teo was the best LB in his class, Michael Floyd was a highly ranked WR, etc.

BK appears to be the right coach, I just think the change in systems and in defensive formation will take some time, it also didn't help that they have no experienced QB.

yeah, who knows about the "ND effect". Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

But I have heard that ND tends to do really, really well recruiting offensive skilled players (QBs, WR's, TE's, RB's) and not as well recruiting linemen and linebackers, which inflates ND's rankings.

Who knows what's happening. I just don't think ND is getting the same type of talent as schools like OSU, USC, bama, etc.... And that's been happening for the past 10-15 years. Neither is Mich, my team.

Edit: broad generalization, but I think offensive skilled players are just smarter than the rest of the team. Maybe they are able to get past ND's education requirements.

sylvester
09-12-2010, 06:53 PM
I just don't think ND is getting the same type of talent as schools like OSU, USC, bama, etc.... And that's been happening for the past 10-15 years.

http://ndnation.com/nd-football/does-notre-dame-football-have-championship-talent/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703447004575449721827527374.html?m od=WSJ_LifeStyle_Sports_RightTopCarousel_1

I think that the talent is there. Weis did not understand how to efficiently develop the talent. QB's he can work with, as he has made a living doing that. Outside of that, he struggles in growing and maturing athletes into pro ready football players.

kyxu
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
ND recruited well under Weis, just not at the right positions. They could stock up talent at QB, WR and RB, but couldn't get playmakers on defense. That's the difference, I think, between Notre Dame and teams like USC, Florida, Ohio State, Alabama, etc. That and coaching.

Manti Te'o for ND is a beast, and is unlike any other defensive player Notre Dame has had in awhile. Still, it remains to be seen whether ND can be the kind of contender with a defense under Brian Kelly. Offense was never Kelly's issue, but defense.

And saying Notre Dame is now still in the same place as it was with Weis, based on yesterday's game, is as premature as saying Notre Dame is back had they beaten Michigan yesterday. Two games is too small of a sample size. But Kelly is a proven winner and has won everywhere he's coached. Wait and see, I guess.

waggy
09-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Notre Dame with 0 votes in the AP, and only 5 in the coaches poll. They're better than a bunch of teams getting votes, but they have a lot of ground to make up.

sylvester
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Manti Te'o for ND is a beast, and is unlike any other defensive player Notre Dame has had in awhile.

Talented but he has a lot to learn. He has looked horrible at times this year (most of the Purdue game) but he shows flashes that justify his recruit ranking. Obviously a great athlete, but hopefully he progresses a lot throughout this season.

GuyFawkes38
09-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I've watched a lot of ND, MSU, and UM football for the past 10 years.

The ranking gurus consistently rank MSU well, well below UM and ND. Yet, it's always striking how when they compete against each other the talent level of the teams look relatively equal (in the past 5 years especially).

I'm convinced the UM and ND brand names inflate their recruits.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
This year it looks like all three are pretty pedestrian.

Espe
09-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Notre Dame's athleticism on defense is horrible. They have to have the two slowest safeties in college football.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Um, that was ballsy.

So, the correct answer to the poll question is no.

GuyFawkes38
09-18-2010, 10:50 PM
wow.

gladdenguy
09-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Ha brian kelly...................great win for michigan st!!!!!!!

PM Thor
09-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the Bigs Brian Kelly. Never underestimate anything when playing the level of competition that Kelly now faces, week in, week out.

I'm not an ND fan, nor a MSU fan, but damn, that was a great game, and that call will go down in MSU history. Fun to watch.

I HATE dayton.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the Bigs Brian Kelly. Never underestimate anything when playing the level of competition that Kelly now faces, week in, week out.

Michigan State is not a particularly good team. Frankly, this ND schedule isn't much, if any, tougher than UC's last year. Some good names, but few good teams.

gladdenguy
09-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Michigan State is not a particularly good team. Frankly, this ND schedule isn't much, if any, tougher than UC's last year. Some good names, but few good teams.

Yeah but Michigan St. is better than ANY big east team THIS year.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Yeah but Michigan St. is better than ANY big east team THIS year.

Could very well be. Sad commentary on THIS year's Big East, that.

Espe
09-18-2010, 11:18 PM
It should have been a delay of game; the play clock ran out.

It was another fail play by Harrison Smith. It was his man that scored.

GuyFawkes38
09-18-2010, 11:19 PM

I guess it depends on what your definition of "good" is. But MSU made the capital one bowl 2 years ago. They made the Alamo bowl last year. They return most of their key players and will make another good bowl this year.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
UC was in the Orange Bowl the past two years. And they suck.

Michigan State is okay, but it's not exactly a new level of competition that Kelly has never seen before this year.

GuyFawkes38
09-18-2010, 11:25 PM
I think MSU is probably larger and more physical than most teams in the Big East. But, of course, ND is larger and more physical. So maybe it cancels out.

But I think MSU is a good team that's difficult to play at their place at night. If I was an ND fan, I wouldn't panic.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I think MSU is probably larger and more physical than most teams in the Big East.

Probably slower, too.

GuyFawkes38
09-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Probably slower, too.

I definitely think there is a hierarchy amongst college football conferences.

On ESPN today they had a Las Vegas insider make the lines on an imaginary Big10 and SEC duel, where every team in the Big10 played a team in the SEC. Every SEC team except one was favored.

I'm sure if you did the same exercise with Big10 and Big East schools, every Big10 school would be favored. It's just a better conference (like the SEC conference is better than the Big10).

I really believe that the talent level between MSU and ND isn't far off.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 11:40 PM
It's not much of a revelation that the Big Ten is better than the Big East this year. That doesn't make Michigan State a particularly good team.

And I think UMass just scored on Michigan again.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Stanford appears to be pretty damned good, though. Should be the best team on ND's schedule visiting South Bend next weekend.

GuyFawkes38
09-18-2010, 11:44 PM
I guess we can agree to disagree. This sort of reminds me of the Colin Cowherd debate with the Reds (lots of semantics involved). MSU will make a good bowl. They will have a winning record in a good conference. I would say they are good instead of okay.

PM Thor
09-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm talking coaching. The level of coaching that Kelly will see vs what he saw at UC is vastly superior. Now I'm not saying MSU are world beaters or their coach is all that great, but it was obvious to me that Kelly had no idea to even consider that last play would happen. In fact, on replay I think you can read Kellys lips saying "What the Hell was that?".

There's a major step up in terms of competition that ND faces over what UC would have faced under Kelly.

I HATE dayton.

GoMuskies
09-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Agree to disagree on that.

Danny Hope?
Rich Rod? (who came from the Big East)
Dantonio? (a UC guy)
I'll give you Harbaugh
Whoever the hell coaches BC?
Wannstache? (who he'd have faced at UC)
Tulsa/Army/Western Michigan/Navy/Utah coach? (This is different from what UC would face?)
Lane effing Kiffin? Really?

gladdenguy
09-18-2010, 11:53 PM
It's not much of a revelation that the Big Ten is better than the Big East this year. That doesn't make Michigan State a particularly good team.

And I think UMass just scored on Michigan again.

Easy now Go. Michigan's defense is horrible this year and will be exposed.

PM Thor
09-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Agree to disagree on that.

Danny Hope?
Rich Rod? (who came from the Big East)
Dantonio? (a UC guy)
I'll give you Harbaugh
Whoever the hell coaches BC?
Wannstache? (who he'd have faced at UC)
Tulsa/Army/Western Michigan/Navy/Utah coach? (This is different from what UC would face?)
Lane effing Kiffin? Really?

Ok, I immediately rescind my last post after looking at NDs schedule. Holy crap that is a terribly weak schedule. I expected better from ND.

I HATE dayton.

kyxu
09-19-2010, 03:25 PM
It's funny that both Michigan and Michigan State are in the top 25 for really doing nothing other than beating Notre Dame.

X-band '01
09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Michigan State's got a more pressing matter - Mark Dantonio had a mild heart attack after last night's game and is going to be out indefinitely. I hope he's able to recover quickly.

nuts4xu
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Muck Fichigan State.

Hate them bastards.

gladdenguy
09-19-2010, 07:30 PM
It's funny that both Michigan and Michigan State are in the top 25 for really doing nothing other than beating Notre Dame.

What about Oregon St (1-1, one single win over terrible Louisville team by a td), West Virginia (3-0, wins over Marshall, Maryland, Coastal Carolina ), USC (wins over Hawaii, Virginia, Minnesota).

The win over Notre Dame is better than any of the wins from these teams in the top 25.

GoMuskies
09-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Those teams all started in the top 25, though.

gladdenguy
09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
exactly.....preseason polls mean nothing

GoMuskies
09-19-2010, 08:47 PM
You're right that they shouldn't. Obviously in college football they do.

kyxu
09-19-2010, 09:54 PM
What about Oregon St (1-1, one single win over terrible Louisville team by a td), West Virginia (3-0, wins over Marshall, Maryland, Coastal Carolina ), USC (wins over Hawaii, Virginia, Minnesota).

Yes, all these teams started the season ranked. Michigan and Michigan State were not, thus deriving their current standing pretty much solely from their wins over Notre Dame.

It's interesting the respect Notre Dame gets, even when they're mediocre and "irrelevant".

GuyFawkes38
09-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes, all these teams started the season ranked. Michigan and Michigan State were not, thus deriving their current standing pretty much solely from their wins over Notre Dame.

It's interesting the respect Notre Dame gets, even when they're mediocre and "irrelevant".

Who knows. This definitely happened last year. An average Mich team beat a subpar ND team and the college football world anointed Mich as a really good team. It's definitely a flaw of college football how much the name on the jersey matters.

Benxman
09-20-2010, 12:50 AM
I am a believer in Brian Kelly. Is he perfect? Does he always make the right decision? Obviously no. But that is not what makes him a great coach. He never stops competing, no matter what has happened or what is happening in a game.
I too, am not a ND fan. However, I am a Brian Kelly fan, so this year my wife gets to have a co-rooter for the Irish.
ND will not be in a BCS bowl this year. Kelly will have to teach this crowd how to win, something they never learned under Weis.
ND definitely needs more speed in the defensive backfield. This was exposed by both UM & MSU.
It should be an interesting year, but I think Kelly is a year or two away from the type of team he will eventually have.
My prediction is that he will have ND in the top 10 just like he did at UC.

GO MUSKIES!

:logo:

Juice
09-20-2010, 07:27 AM
ND definitely needs more speed in the defensive backfield. This was exposed by both UM & MSU.

Slaughter and someone else who plays safety, I forget who, are injured. It has left them thin at the safety position and very slow there too because they have white guys playing a lot of snaps there. Not that this is the only reason their defense was getting exposed but it certainly doesnt help.

Masterofreality
10-23-2010, 05:41 PM
35-17 Navy.

B Kelly joins the "Charlie Weis Society"

Well Done.

pizza delivery
10-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Their defense is clueless and, it appears, slow and talentless. Sigh. Kelly is still spitballin' though, impervious to 4th downs. His act won't last under a losing climate. Then again, who's does?

nuts4xu
10-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Nuck Favy!!!

Hate dem bastards!!

GuyFawkes38
10-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I didn't expect that type of loss. That came out of nowhere.

waggy
10-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Does this impact Kellys genius status?

DC Muskie
10-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Whomever voted yes for Kelly is a moron.

Snipe
10-24-2010, 05:52 PM
I am sure the Cats would take him back.

GoMuskies
10-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Bad luck for ND. Who would have expected Tulsa to be such a fantastic team when this game was scheduled?

XU 87
10-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Down by two, with 40 seconds to go in the game, and sitting on Tulsa's 20 yard line, who would have expected ND to throw a jump ball pass into the end zone, particularly when they had in a backup freshman QB? The QB made a terrible decision even throwing the ball. But he never should have been put in that position. What a stupid, stupid call.

DC Muskie
10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Down by two, with 40 seconds to go in the game, and sitting on Tulsa's 20 yard line, who would have expected ND to throw a jump ball pass into the end zone, particularly when they had in a backup freshman QB? The QB made a terrible decision even throwing the ball. But he should have been put in that position. What a stupid, stupid call.

Did you see after the game at the press conference, Kelly said he would have done the same thing on that play?

Wow.

I'm really starting to feel bad for ND.

kyxu
10-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Did you see after the game at the press conference, Kelly said he would have done the same thing on that play?

Wow.

There aren't many coaches who are going to second guess their own bone-headed playcall to the media after the fact. I think Kelly knows damn well he effed this one up.

Masterofreality
10-31-2010, 07:34 PM
There aren't many coaches who are going to second guess their own bone-headed playcall to the media after the fact. I think Kelly knows damn well he effed this one up.

On top of F-ing up practice on Wednesday that resulted in a student death.

Well done.

nuts4xu
10-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Tuck Fulsa!

Hate them bastards!!

xudash
10-31-2010, 10:05 PM
On top of F-ing up practice on Wednesday that resulted in a student death.

Well done.

Charlie's buyout was, what, $20mm?

Now imagine the workplace accident lawsuit that will come from this. 50 mph winds and they had that kid up on a scissors lift. Brilliant.

And as ND contemplates more cash outflow, what must be going on high up in 30 Rock:

NBC President: "What did you just say?"

NBC VP of Sports: "We just confirmed a report from South Bend that a student lost his life, during a football practice where he was on a portable lift in high wind, filming practice."

NBC President: "You can't be serious. The weather reports for that part of the country clearly identified that high winds were going to be experienced."

NBC VP of Sports: "Well, he was hit by a 50 mph gust"

NBC President: "God Bless him. At least tell me that ND won the game in his honor. I mean we're talking about Tulsa here, right?"

NBC VP of Sports: "Um, uh, well, Brian Kelly allowed a freshman QB to make an end zone pass attempt instead of running a couple plays to position a field goal that would have allowed the Irish to win by one. The kid got picked off."

NBC President: "THEY WERE LOSING TO TULSA - LATE IN THE GAME?"

NBC VP of Sports: "YEP. And they lost 27 - 25."

NBC President: "Would you please go get that stupid contract and let's look at it together."

GuyFawkes38
11-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah, good point dash.

There was a funny episode of 30 Rock which took a shot at NBC sports (so it's nd football, the olympics, and Sunday night football....that's pitiful). I'm not sure how long the ND contract lasts. But I'd imagine that NBC's new owners will review it. Maybe that will finally lead to ND joining the Big 10, which would be a win for everyone. I'd love to see ND play Penn State instead of Army.

Juice
11-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Yeah, good point dash.

There was a funny episode of 30 Rock which took a shot at NBC sports (so it's nd football, the olympics, and Sunday night football....that's pitiful). I'm not sure how long the ND contract lasts. But I'd imagine that NBC's new owners will review it. Maybe that will finally lead to ND joining the Big 10, which would be a win for everyone. I'd love to see ND play Penn State instead of Army.

The current deal was up after this season but it was renewed through 2015. I haven't seen any number lately but I bet its still a win-win for both parties.

ND was playing Penn State only a few years ago. I don't know who canceled that arrangement. Also, look at their schedule in 2012. It is packed with good games.
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=961&CID=468316

GoMuskies
11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Maybe that will finally lead to ND joining the Big 10

Kelly seems to be preparing Notre Dame's football program for a move to the Big East.

Masterofreality
11-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Kelly seems to be preparing Notre Dame's football program for a move to the Big East.

Well, that would be a back door way to get to a BCS Bowl game......

.....then get trounced.

boozehound
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Nice.

XU 87
11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
An ND grad in my office just told me that three ND recruits just decommitted over the weekend.

XULucho27
11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Kelly taking a hit on the recruiting trail too.

Per ESPN's Insider Rumor Blog:

First defensive end Clay Burton decided to go to Florida. Now Aaron Lynch is no longer a Notre Dame commit.

The four-star DE standout from Cape Coral, Fla., has reportedly eliminated the Irish altogether, and he's not the only recruit who's losing faith in ND. Four-star offensive tackle Jordan Prestwood (Plant City, Fla.) decommitted this month, as well, and is strongly considering Florida State.

Lynch, like Burton and Prestwood, has the Big Three state schools on his list, along with Alabama. Other recruits that could ignore the Irish: five-star defensive end Ray Drew from Thomasville, Ga.; four-star defensive end Ishaq Williams from Brooklyn, N.Y.; and four-star athlete Christian French from Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Brian Kelly's No. 8 class is falling fast.

Edit: Sorry 87, didn't see you had posted this right before me.

XUglow
11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I am glad that Xerox does their documents so they can concentrate on what happens on the field. I would hate to see how they would do if they weren't concentrating.

Offensive coordinator: Coach, let's just make a run to the middle of the field to set up for the game-winning field goal.
Kelly: Holy crap! Someone stapled the index in the game program upside down. Will you look at that. That's ridiculous!
Offensive coordinator to QB: Uh, OK. Pass it in the endzone for a TD if you get man coverage.
Crowd: Groan...
Tulsa (dancing with glee): Yippee!
Kelly: Where's my Gatorade bath? You guys have forgotten how to win? What's that you say? We lost? ...and the program index is upside down. This just hasn't been my week.

waggy
11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
It's all part of Kelly's genius plan.

DC Muskie
11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
An ND grad in my office just told me that three ND recruits just decommitted over the weekend.

That's incredible.

Is Kelly going to get canned over this?

xudash
11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I am glad that Xerox does their documents so they can concentrate on what happens on the field. I would hate to see how they would do if they weren't concentrating.

Offensive coordinator: Coach, let's just make a run to the middle of the field to set up for the game-winning field goal.
Kelly: Holy crap! Someone stapled the index in the game program upside down. Will you look at that. That's ridiculous!
Offensive coordinator to QB: Uh, OK. Pass it in the endzone for a TD if you get man coverage.
Crowd: Groan...
Tulsa (dancing with glee): Yippee!
Kelly: Where's my Gatorade bath? You guys have forgotten how to win? What's that you say? We lost? ...and the program index is upside down. This just hasn't been my week.

Okay, so you're better at writing scripts than me. Show-off!

GoMuskies - yes, very nice. Too funny.

kyxu
11-02-2010, 05:53 AM
That's incredible.

Is Kelly going to get canned over this?

Two of those decommitments occurred earlier in the week -- before the scissor lift tragedy. Though I'm not sure whether that incident is the "this" you were referring to.

Brian Kelly will not be fired after this season. Someone else in the football office may be, however.

XU 87
11-02-2010, 07:46 AM

Wow.

I'm really starting to feel bad for ND.

I was talking to an ND fan who was at the game who said he realy didn't have a problem with the call. It was apparently very windy and ND was going into the wind. Tulsa missed a short field goal earlier in the game going into the wind. In addition, ND's long snapper got hurt on a previous snap.

So although I said earlier it was an idiotic call, there appears to have been some decent reasons for the play.

kyxu
11-02-2010, 07:53 AM
I was talking to an ND fan who was at the game who said he realy didn't have a problem with the call. It ws apparently very windy and ND was going into the wind. Tulsa missed a short field goal ealrier in the game going into the wind. In addition, ND's long snapper got hurt on a previous snap.

And they already had an extra point blocked and returned for two earlier in the game.

bg2629
11-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I was talking to an ND fan who was at the game who said he realy didn't have a problem with the call. It was apparently very windy and ND was going into the wind. Tulsa missed a short field goal earlier in the game going into the wind. In addition, ND's long snapper got hurt on a previous snap.

So although I said earlier it was an idiotic call, there appears to have been some decent reasons for the play.

I am a huge ND football fan. I think the call was awful. Even if Kelly was concerned about the wind, which I don't think he was even considering it, how is throwing a pass into that same wind a better option? A quick pass, screen, etc would have been acceptable to me but having your true freshamn QB throw it up for grabs was careless.