PDA

View Full Version : Is Boise St. the "Xavier" of College Football?

Cheesehead
09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
They both have really made strides in the past 10 years and are on the verge of knocking on the door to be big time programs. Many will say Xavier is already there.

Certainly, both of these programs mirror each other in just how fast they have come and how they are now in the national conversations for their respective sports.

Feel free to discuss pro or nay.

GoMuskies
09-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Similar, but I think Boise is further along than Xavier towards joining the truly elite.

Cheesehead
09-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Similar, but I think Boise is further along than Xavier towards joining the truly elite.

Blasphemy!:logo:

SixFig
09-06-2010, 11:18 PM

You may be right, but at least Xavier can win our way to the National Title.

Methinks even if Boise goes undefeated they are still on the outside looking in. Probably playing TCU again in a bowl game.

It's frustrating as a BCS hater.

GoMuskies
09-06-2010, 11:20 PM
IMO Xavier needs to get to a Final Four to be in basketball where Boise is in football. When Boise got to the Fiesta Bowl in 2006, it was kind of like George Mason. When they beat Oklahoma, it was kind of like Butler getting to the championship game. But it's four years later, and they're still winning and going to BCS games, and winning them. And they're on national TV on Monday night in the game of the weekend on ESPN. That hasn't happened for Xavier yet. The closest we've been was that Duke game in NJ on CBS.....and that didn't go well.

GuyFawkes38
09-06-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't think Xavier is overrated and a media creation. So to answer the question, I don't see the similarities.

GoMuskies
09-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I'd like the hear the argument for Boise being a media creation. Seems like they'd have been slaughtered tonight if that were the case. I'll hang up and listen.

Espe
09-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I'd like the hear the argument for Boise being a media creation. Seems like they'd have been slaughtered tonight if that were the case. I'll hang up and listen.

They aren't. They have won all the big games they have been in except Georgia a couple of years ago.

GuyFawkes38
09-07-2010, 12:06 AM
It's frustrating that there's a growing belief from the media that a no loss Boise State team should be let into the BCS championship game instead of a 1 loss BCS conference team.

Even most of the awesome USC teams of the past decade lost a game, because the Pac10 is a tough conference (much, much, much tougher than the WAC).

boozehound
09-07-2010, 06:45 AM
It's frustrating that there's a growing belief from the media that a no loss Boise State team should be let into the BCS championship game instead of a 1 loss BCS conference team.

Even most of the awesome USC teams of the past decade lost a game, because the Pac10 is a tough conference (much, much, much tougher than the WAC).

Are you joking? You're joking, right?

X-band '01
09-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Guy does have a point - I'd rather talk about who's worthy of a national title in November and December, not Labor Day weekend. That said, Boise will have the benefit of the human element (coaches and Harris polls) that they did not have in previous years with the BCS.

And if you want to talk about the Pac 10 historically being tough, do you really believe USC deserves national title consideration when they lose to bad Stanford and UCLA teams? That would be like Vandy winning at either Alabama or Florida - it's just not gonna happen. USC's other problem was that they cheated with Reggie Bush and got caught.

Juice
09-07-2010, 07:29 AM

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/09/06/its-unfair-but-boise-state-does-not-deserve-a-place-in-a-title-game/#more-60079

Guy, you are right. This break down between Boise and Florida's schedule makes a lot of sense. They don't belong over a 1 loss SEC team.

boozehound
09-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Kind of like a few years ago when Utah was going to get absolutely shellacked by Georgia?

Cheesehead
09-07-2010, 07:51 AM
stay on point

drudy23
09-07-2010, 08:18 AM
You may be right, but at least Xavier can win our way to the National Title.

Methinks even if Boise goes undefeated they are still on the outside looking in. Probably playing TCU again in a bowl game.

It's frustrating as a BCS hater.

If Boise State goes undefeated (which they will) and doesn't play in the National Championship game, then everyone in the world should boycott the sport forever.

MADXSTER
09-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I believe that Miami(OH) went undefeated with Big Ben but never went to a bowl game that year. No one will ever know just how good of a team they were.

Also, McKinley HS in Ohio had won, I believe 6 state titles before a playoff system was created. Since the creation of the playoff system, they've won 0.

Bottom line, the game needs to be decided on the field.

(Sorry, not trying to turn this into a playoff thread)

XUglow
09-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Boise State is an excellent program, but they weren't getting in the NC game last year over undefeated Bama and undefeated Texas due to their schedule. They will need to go undefeated to be considered. They accomplished their goal last night.

It would be sad though if one of the participants in the NC game was decided on week one. VaTech will probably have more to do with how Boise St. fares than Boise State does. If Miami and UNC whip VaTech, that win won't be so impressive.

That was a fun game to watch, but from a football perspective, it wasn't great football. VaTech was self-destructive in Q1 and practically handed BSU a 17-0 lead. BSU had a huge number of dumb penalties. The kicking games weren't good. VaTech had 69 seconds with the ball at the 35, needing 3, and they acted like it was 6.9 seconds. It looked like VaTech had Les Miles coaching that last drive. BSU had poise at the end. VaTech didn't.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
If Boise State goes undefeated (which they will) and doesn't play in the National Championship game, then everyone in the world should boycott the sport forever.

That's the key. Peterson is now 50-4 in his career at Boise State. Unreal

If we want the BCS system dismantled, we need to root for Boise. We need to root for TCU. We need to root for as many undefeated or 1 loss teams as possible to make it a giant clusterf*ck. I would love to see a 16 team playoff but in my opinion really all you need is 4 teams

I feel bad for Boise. They are fearless in their scheduling and want to play the best but no BCS teams really want to play them. They had to go to ESPN to challenge BCS teams since they kept turning them down.

I don't care who you play winning 31 games in a row is damn near impossible. Travelling 2400 miles to Virginia in a hostile environment with excessive heat and humidity against a top 10 team and winning is not easy. That QB has titanium testicles

GoMuskies
09-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Boise's not getting in if there are two undefeated teams from the SEC, Big Ten, or Big Twelve (maybe the ACC and Pac 10 depending on who it is), but they'll definitely be in over any one loss team. And deservedly so.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Boise's not getting in if there are two undefeated teams from the SEC, Big Ten, or Big Twelve (maybe the ACC and Pac 10 depending on who it is), but they'll definitely be in over any one loss team. And deservedly so.

To be honest, I don't think they will get in over a 1 loss SEC or Big 10 or Big 12 team...But they do have that ranking from the start which is huge.

GoMuskies
09-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Starting at #5 and with the win yesterday, it's going to be basically impossible for them not to get in over a one loss team. And only an SEC team would really have a shot. The Big Ten and Big Twelve won't really be strong enough for a team to overcome a loss (though obviously a LOT stronger than the WAC).

X-band '01
09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Kind of like a few years ago when Utah was going to get absolutely shellacked by Georgia?

That was Alabama in the Sugar Bowl (2008 season). Georgia trounced Hawaii when they crashed the party, though.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
That was Alabama in the Sugar Bowl (2008 season). Georgia trounced Hawaii when they crashed the party, though.
True.
While Hawaii's, TCU's, Cincinnati's come and go. One thing is for certain. Boise State reloads and steps it up a notch. I don't know how they do it but I can't argue with the results. It's like getting the stripes into toothpaste

MuskieCinci
09-07-2010, 02:31 PM

You do realize Boise State beat the Pac-10 champ last season and returned about 17 of the starters from that that team? Then beat the ACC favorites in basically a road game already this season?

drudy23
09-07-2010, 02:59 PM
The've proven their worth. If they go undefeated and don't play for the national title, there should be rioting...it's as simple as that. It's not right.

GoMuskies
09-07-2010, 03:02 PM
The've proven their worth. If they go undefeated and don't play for the national title, there should be rioting...it's as simple as that. It's not right.

Even if Ohio State and Alabama go undefeated? I wouldn't go that far.

smileyy
09-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I believe that Miami(OH) went undefeated with Big Ben but never went to a bowl game that year. No one will ever know just how good of a team they were.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/

Lost 1 game (opener @Iowa) in 2003, went to the GMAC bowl.

GoMuskies
09-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Boise grabbed 8 first place votes in the AP poll and is #3 in both polls now. When did Xavier get its lone glorious #1 vote in the AP poll? Was that in 1997 after the win at #1 UC? Of was it real early in '98 when our guys were killing people (prior to going to Oxford and losing)?

stophorseabuse
09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
We were ranked 7 and had a #1 vote when we lost to Wally in Oxford. That team fell apart.

That was before Xavier played their best ball in March.