PDA

View Full Version : A Day in the Life

XUglow
08-27-2010, 01:46 PM
A Day in the Life was voted best Beatles song. Love it. I am good with that pick.

What are your picks for best... and worst. Hey Jude can drive me absolutely bonkers at times.

XU 87
08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
A Day in the Life isn't a bad pick. And it may be an appropriate pick since Lennon and McCartney both contributed toward it, although it seems more like a Lennon song than a McCartney song.

I could also argue Hey Jude, Let it Be, I am the Walrus, While my Guitar Gently Weeps, and about 20 other songs.

Worst Beatle song- "What Goes on"- on the Rubber Soul album and sung by Ringo.

Most overrated song- a tie between Michelle and Ob-la-di-la da.

Extra Credit- How did the Beatles come up with the name "Rubber Soul"?

Porkopolis
08-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Good topic; hard to pick a favorite from so many great songs. I am fine with A Day In The Life as number one. I've always been a fan of Across The Universe and While My Guitar Gently Weeps, too.

blobfan
08-27-2010, 02:14 PM
So many good ones. I can't say I've listened to all of them but Yellow Submarine might be the worst of the popular ones, just from an analytical viewpoint. It's repetitive and doesn't really stand up to their other songs, in my opinion. I love it thought just for the goofiness of screaming the chorus at top volume.

For best, I don't know. A Day in the Life may be the most illustrative of what the Beatles were, clearly showing the contrast between Lennon's moody artistry and McCarthey's upbeat accessible qualities. But best out of the entire catalog? It's just too varied to say.

blobfan
08-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Good topic; hard to pick a favorite from so many great songs. I am fine with A Day In The Life as number one. I've always been a fan of Across The Universe and While My Guitar Gently Weeps, too.

Both great ones but I'm not sure the Beatle's versions are my favorite interpretations. I think the best changes depending on how you define 'best.'

muckem muckem
08-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Taxman; Revolution. Can't stand a thing Paul did after the Beatles.

XU 87
08-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Upon further review, the worst Beatles' "song" is Revolution 9.

ballyhoohoo
08-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I have alwasy felt Elanor Rigbey was under rated

Mrs. Garrett
08-27-2010, 02:51 PM
I've always loved "I am the Walrus". Seems to have been written with the assistance of some mind altering substances.

Helter Skelter as well.

Smails
08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
I've always been a Day Tripper fan. Love the guitar intro and the lyrics combine drug use and hookers...cant go wrong there

XU 87
08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I've always been a Day Tripper fan. Love the guitar intro and the lyrics combine drug use and hookers...cant go wrong there

another trivia question- who wrote Day Tripper? John or Paul?

Porkopolis
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
another trivia question- who wrote Day Tripper? John or Paul?

John was the main man but Paul helped on the verses. And, as usual, took more credit than he deserved. ;)

GoMuskies
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
On a related note, Love out at the Mirage is definitely worth the price of admission if you find yourself in the desert.

XU 87
08-27-2010, 03:32 PM
John was the main man but Paul helped on the verses. And, as usual, took more credit than he deserved. ;)

Sort of correct. John wrote it but Paul sang it because John couldn't hit the high notes. But it was rare for Paul to sing John's songs and vise versa.

Upon further review, I would say you're correct as Paul took credit for some of this song, although I think John at one point claimed that John wrote most if not the entire song with little input from Paul.

eXdrummer
08-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Best:
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Helter Skelter
Blackbird
Here Comes the Sun
Dear Prudence

Worst:
All You Need Is Love
Why Don't We Do It In the Road?

GuyFawkes38
08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
"A day in the life" strikes me as a bit pretentious and muddled.

I'd vote for "hello goodbye" or "strawberry fields" or "I am the Walrus" (Magical Mystery Tour (with the singles) is great!!! Why is it the one album that no one picks as their favorite Beatles album). IMHO, they combine the energy of the early years and the creativeness of the later years.

danaandvictory
08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Ticket to Ride is the perfect pop song.

bobbiemcgee
08-27-2010, 04:38 PM
I'll be 64 next month. When I was 21 didn't seem to like it that much.

LadyMuskie
08-27-2010, 11:16 PM
I love the Beatles, considering they were no longer a group by the time I was born;). I haven't heard all of their music, but I've heard most of it. I can't pick their worst song because even their bad songs are still a hell of a lot better than most of the crap on the radio today. My faves are probably Let It Be, Eleanor Rigby, Hello Goodbye, and And I Love Her. I also enjoy Hey Jude because of the story behind it.

MCXU
08-28-2010, 05:46 AM
You kids with your hippitty hop music. It's all just load noise... And STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!

Cincypunk.org
08-28-2010, 07:38 AM
I celebrate their entire collection.

:rolleyes:

Cincypunk.org
08-28-2010, 07:41 AM
I have alwasy felt Elanor Rigbey was under rated

And this, it is way under rated.