PDA

View Full Version : Beat Whitey Night!!!

Snipe
08-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Bring you family to the wholesome Iowa State Fair!

'Beat Whitey Night': Racism suspected in Iowa State Fair attacks (http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=213223)

"We don't know if this was juveniles fighting or a group of kids singling out white citizens leaving the fairgrounds," Sgt. Lori Lavorato said. "It's all under investigation, but it's very possible it has racial overtones."

Officials announced last week that they were stepping up security outside the fairgrounds after a series of attacks Aug. 14 that included a pair of stabbings. Investigators are still investigating those assaults and victims intend to pursue charges.

Sgt. David Murillo stated in a report on Friday night, "On-duty officers at the fairgrounds advise there was a group of 30 to 40 individuals roaming the fairgrounds openly calling it 'beat whitey night.' "

Jammie Carroll, 36, of Polk City, was seriously injured in the 3000 block of East Grand Avenue Friday night after a group of people beat him up, causing severe injuries to his eyes, cheekbones and nose, Murillo wrote. Carroll is white, and many of the suspects are black, police said.

State Rep. Ako Abdul-Samad, D-Des Moines, who has worked to fight gang-related violence, said he doesn't have enough information to decide if the fights were racially motivated. He said police comments that race was involved could miss other factors, such as nonracial taunting.

I am with Ako Abdul-Samad, I just don't have enough information. You never know, it could all be some sort of misunderstanding...

Snipe
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Some reader comments (http://www.topix.net/forum/source/whotv/TLG7MOJCIGLCKJBOD):

I was at the fair on eastside night, the first friday of the fair, and there was a group of 40+ africian american kid's who were running through the fair punching white kids for no aparent reason. I left as I had 5 kid's there with me, when I came home I told my husband that we were not taking the kids back out that sunday, as they had planned this out and was getting away with it! and I dint want to put my kids in harms way, I want to know where the parent's of these kid's were.

My boss told me he and his wife were walking to their car Sunday night and had the pack following them taunting and yelling at them.

I am appalled to think that the police are still wondering whether these events were racially motivated. I agree with many who have posted here, that if it would have been a group of white kids, running around beating up black people, the race card would have been thrown a million times! And people wonder why the fair attendance was down this year? No self respecting person of any color, wants to put themselves or their loved ones, in harms way. More and more, the most racist people I meet in my everyday life, are black.

It really did suck that night, i hated the fair this year. I got pushed by one of the Black kids & got called a ****. I don't know why but i guess that's just their way of saying hi. I was with a bunch of my friends as well & we noticed around the time the fair was closing at the bar across the street from the fair there was a commotion of a bunch of black teenagers and white adults fighting about their race, it's not really about who started it but in this case it was the teenagers it was madness, I had a bottle thrown at my foot & a chair tossed right over my friends head. I don't think I'm ever going back to the fair again.

We go to the fair every year and this year did seem different. I did see several groups of black kids running around but I really didn't pay much attention...too me they were all friends. Then I noticed that they were making sexual comments and looks to girls young and old and I started worrying about my daughter.

And here: (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/comments/article/20100824/NEWS01/8240366/Police-say-it-s-very-possible-attacks-near-fairgrounds-had-racial-overtones)

"Unfortunately, like any other city, you have certain parts of town that individuals congregate in," Abdul-Samad said. "You have those that go into that area with no problem, and those who cannot."

I am surprised to hear AKO actually admit that white people are not safe if they go into "certain parts of town that individuals congregate in". Therein lies the problem that needs to be fixed. There should be NO parts of town where one is fearful to go because of skin color.

That is a striking comment.

I don't like the future attendance prospects of the Iowa State Fair.

Kahns Krazy
08-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Frankly, I wouldn't care if it were race or not. If there were a bunch of white punks running around yelling "beat whitey" I wouldn't want to go.