PDA

View Full Version : can he please just go away?

Muskie1000
08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Will Favre just retire and go away? I'm so sick and tired of this whole thing.

X-band '01
08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Now now, it's been one whole week since we've heard his name in the news. The folks at ESPN and all the other sports media have to put food on their tables too, you know.

nuts4xu
08-17-2010, 06:49 PM
It really is beyond ridiculous at this point.

If the media had any sense, they would completely ignore the story all together. Don't even speculate until he emerges from his ranch in Louisiana (or wherever the hell he goes in the off season) and shows up at camp.

They had helicopters following the SUV from the airport to Vikings camp today. Is all this really necessary? Do they have nothing else to talk about than to rehash the same story lines for the 6th year in a row (or however long he has been acting like this)?

This whole fiasco is a bad sequel to Groundhog Day. He retires, people fret, he comes charging back more ready than 90% of the slugs who have been working their asses off at training camp.

This isn't news. It has become the norm.

Cheesehead
08-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Born and raised in Wisconsin and obviously a lifelong Packer fan. I have a framed poster of Favre in my house. Having said all of this I lost some serious respect for the guy as a person when the Packers essentially made the move to go with Rogers. I didn't like the way Favre handled that whole thing and didn't like the fact that Favre never really took Rogers under his wing and he basically ignored Rogers while they were teammates. That is not being a good teammate and "one of the guys" which Favre always references.

Now, I still think he is one tough SOB and a great competitor. He is fun to watch. He gives it everything he has and so I can't fault him as a QB other than some bad INT's in his career. What he did last season at his age was truly amazing. The Vikes were very close to being in the Super Bowl.

I will still root for Rogers and the Pack to beat Favre and the Vikes. That will never change.

D-West & PO-Z
08-18-2010, 09:01 AM
The Packers knew what they were doing when they decided to go on with Rodgers. He is a heck of a QB, and it was basically time for him to take over.

On a side note I think my pick of Favre in the 14th round of my fantasy draft will be the steal of the draft. I knew there was no way that dude was gong to leave a potential SB team.

sylvester
08-18-2010, 11:28 PM
He gives it everything he has and so I can't fault him as a QB other than some bad INT's in his career.

I can fault him for being a reckless and overvalued QB for many years. He has the most INT's in the history of the NFL! A selfish QB that puts himself before the team.

One example...Vikings last year. (NFC Championship game, end of the game, the Vikings need next to 0 yards and a FG wins it since there are 10 seconds left) Brett Favre has the option to check down or run for the 5 or 6 yards for a sure thing made FG, but wait...there is a WR downfield (not even close to the endzone mind you)...and he is covered...I must try and fit it in there even though my team will be in the Super Bowl if I make any decision other than this one! Yes, I am going to sling that bitch in there and be a ****ing gunslinging badass! No, just another INT and Favre being selfish. Man I loved watching that game.

Enjoy the hype now Minnesota, there is no chance he has a year like last year again.

gladdenguy
08-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Lebron James and Brett Favre are easily my two most hated athletes.
I wouldn't call all the UC basketball players athletes so I couldn't say them as well.

GoMuskies
08-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Favre pinky swears that this season is it.

SixFig
08-19-2010, 12:35 AM
To quote the Office:

"I hate so much the things you choose to be"

Last 2 years I swore and kept my promise that I would not watch 1 second of Brett Favre and succeeded. This year I will refrain from talking about him on Message Boards, Twitter, Facebook etc starting....now.

I will however return my famous avatar.

bobbiemcgee
08-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I thought initially this was another LeBron thread.

Cheesehead
08-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I am not disagreeing Favre is a bit of a diva. I think the guy really wants to win and this is the reason he has made some bad throws. I am not sure one can say it's due to being selfish but whatever. To not recognize he is one of the best ever is just silly. It's like saying Marino wasn't good because he never won a Super Bowl. Favre has a Super Bowl Ring, an appearance in another Super Bowl and was close on getting there other times.

Having said all of this, I was more than ok with what the Packers did and clearly, they made the right call. Rogers is a stud. It was a dick move for Favre to sign with Vikings. He wanted revenge against the Packers and keep in mind, he got it to a degree, as the Vikes beat the Pack twice last year. The guy had 7 picks for the entire regular season; that's unheard of by a QB.

Any guy who has played as long (19 years) as Favre will have some bad records too. Look up how many times Reggie Jackson struck out in his career (2,597).

Go Pack!

D-West & PO-Z
08-19-2010, 10:09 AM

Ha, why would he even say such a thing? Has he said this year is his last? I thought I did hear that.

D-West & PO-Z
08-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Cheese, there is a "d" in his name. Rodgers.

I do love though that in Favres last two playoff appearnces, both in the NFC Championship game, his last passes were interceptions. '07 season against the G-Men and last year against the Saints.

JimmyTwoTimes37
08-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Same stuff, different day

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/monday_sg.gif

Cheesehead
08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Cheese, there is a "d" in his name. Rodgers.

I do love though that in Favres last two playoff appearnces, both in the NFC Championship game, his last passes were interceptions. '07 season against the G-Men and last year against the Saints.

Yeah, I know there's a D. I was in a hurry. Plus, I have slight dyslexia.

The picks are always the ones folks remember. Just like Crash Davis said, "You know the difference between a .250 hitter and a .300 hitter?...25 hits. 25 hits more hits over the course of 500 at bats and your're a .300 hitter and you're in the show." (or something like that) I get it. You don't like Favre. That's cool. I still enjoy watching the guy play, as I recognize his tremendous talent but I still hope the Packers kill the Vikes this year...

D-West & PO-Z
08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I know there's a D. I was in a hurry. Plus, I have slight dyslexia.

The picks are always the ones folks remember. Just like Crash Davis said, "You know the difference between a .250 hitter and a .300 hitter?...25 hits. 25 hits more hits over the course of 500 at bats and your're a .300 hitter and you're in the show." (or something like that) I get it. You don't like Favre. That's cool. I still enjoy watching the guy play, as I recognize his tremendous talent but I still hope the Packers kill the Vikes this year...

Oh I forget letters all the time. I just saw you spelled it without the D in every post you mentioned him so I thought you just might not know. No biggie.

I think what Favre did last year at his age was amazing, its all his other crap, and his games and his acting so naive about why its such a big story when he is the one creating the firestrom with text messages etc, that has me lose respect for him.

It also amuses me that there is a report out that teammates of his have said that it wasnt really his ankle that was keeping him from thinking about not coming back but the way Childress runs his offense. Really Favre? You probably had your best statistical season of your career last year in that offense. I dont get that.

Muskie1000
08-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I think he's good/great too but either he needs to stay or retire, no more of this I'm gonna retire pay attention to me crap and then turn around and say oh well no, I'm not. Make up your freaking mind - you would think he's a girl or sometime. (And that's just being stereotypical. I'm a girl and I can make up mind much better than him).

X-band '01
08-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I think he's good/great too but either he needs to stay or retire, no more of this I'm gonna retire pay attention to me crap and then turn around and say oh well no, I'm not. Make up your freaking mind - you would think he's a girl or sometime. (And that's just being stereotypical. I'm a girl and I can make up mind much better than him).

I agree with you in principle, but I disagree that he was indecisive about the whole thing. He knew what he was doing, namely skipping training camp and parlaying his "indecision" into another pay raise. Like LeBron, he believes that all "look at me" pub is good pub, and both are a lot smarter than they would have you believe.

Muskie1000
08-19-2010, 06:10 PM
you're probably right which makes him even more scummy. Its one thing to be flaky, its another thing to intentionally use media and attention so that he can get more money and be able to skip training camp. You don't see Payton Manning doing this and I can't really see him ever doing such a thing.

Cheesehead
08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm starting to think I should take my framed poster down :) Well, he did bring the Packers back from some really crappy years and for that, I'll give him some slack.

I will also never forget the MNF game vs. the Raiders after his Dad died (which I happen to watch with my Dad while visiting my parents in Milwaukee) ; my Dad passed away suddenly about year later. So, there are personal memories involved with me and Favre.

BTW: Favre got to 2 Super Bowls, while the Bengals are still waiting to win their first Super Bowl....:logo:

D-West & PO-Z
08-20-2010, 01:27 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/favre_could_earn_up_to_million_this_HpoOU1tefU4aWL FeGGERTK

Yep Favre, you clearly came back because you owe it to your teammates. Right.