PDA

View Full Version : New school logo -- thoughts?

kyxu
08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Apparently, the university has released a new school logo, which should bring our total up to 27.

http://www.xavier.edu/news/Xavier-University-Unveils-New-Logo.cfm?intcmp=XU_Home_News

Personally, I think it's kinda cool, especially since it has some historical merit.

What do all of you think?

Xman95
08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I like it. I also like that they aren't touching the athletic logos.

blobfan
08-16-2010, 02:08 PM
I like it but at a certain point I feel as though someone creates all these branding rules simply to justify his/her own job. At least they've stopped using yellow in the print ads.

DC Muskie
08-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Which one did this replace?

Seriously our school has about a billion logos.

This is different then the seal right? The one with all the Latin? You can't change that right?

Masterofreality
08-16-2010, 03:45 PM

This is different then the seal right? The one with all the Latin? You can't change that right?

DC, as a guy who has worked for schools (the Artist formerly known as BC Muskie), what would you think about this? Does changing logos all the time really do anything for the school or those trying to promote its image?

It seems to me that we just can't make up our minds, unless it's just all about updating to sell more "branded" merchandise. I'll have to change my decals on my car windows.

kyxu
08-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Pretty sure the seal will remain.

sirthought
08-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Branding is as important for a school as any other entity trying to communicate a message. It's ideal to freshen the look every few years, if anything to make people take notice of that.

I've designed several branding systems in my time. I personally think this has some of the nice elements they've had in the past, but there are several misses for me.

I understand the university has a separate branded look for overall and for athletic. But here the X over the shield looks like the athletic font and it clashes with the font to the right. Stick with one or the other. I think the cross on the shield behind the X is a nice touch, but I wonder if the X doesn't blend in too much, making it weaker. And finally, I guess I just prefer symmetry and that big white space where "university" doesn't fully underline "XAVIER" bothers me. I know a lot of younger designers think that's too predictable, so call me old school, it still works better.

PM Thor
08-16-2010, 04:31 PM
I kind of like it, except for the carolina blue background in the shield, that is. It could be worse though, it could be this...

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/city_of_cincinnati_logo.gif

I HATE dayton.

waggy
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
"univeristy" has 10 letters, but can't be made the same length as "xavier" having only 6? Looks awkward.

Smooth
08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
"univeristy" has 10 letters, but can't be made the same length as "xavier" having only 6? Looks awkward.

agree

muskienick
08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I think it's somewhat underwhelming. I can't believe that some design firm had to be hired to come up with that. Someone sitting idly at her/his computer for a half hour could come up with something that good (or better) in a half hour with the benefit of Print Shop or Printmaster.

There's not a thing wrong with it, but I can't see any significant effect it can have on Xavier's perception by others who see it (as opposed to any of it former 187 logos).

Xman95
08-17-2010, 01:21 PM

I hope they don't have a logo that says Xavier Univeristy. That would just be bad.

DC Muskie
08-17-2010, 03:57 PM
DC, as a guy who has worked for schools (the Artist formerly known as BC Muskie), what would you think about this? Does changing logos all the time really do anything for the school or those trying to promote its image?

It seems to me that we just can't make up our minds, unless it's just all about updating to sell more "branded" merchandise. I'll have to change my decals on my car windows.

As sir stated before, a school's brand is the most important thing it has. So freshening it up every eight to ten years is a good thing. The simpler the better.

Loyola is changed from Loyola College to Loyola University. Now there are about 4 million Loyola's on the planet I think. It hasn't done really anything branding wise to distinguish itself.

I'm redoing the logo at my work actually. The thing was created by a high school kid about 15 years ago and we have serious branding issues. So I'm right in the middle of the process and think companies like this completely rip you off, but good for them to be able to do it I say.

The logo is okay. I just think it's funny that they took the athletic "X" on threw it on a shield. I can understand the cross and fleur-de-lis, but to me that makes it too much like Orleans and not really distinguishing it to Cincinnati.

And I agree with sir, when the "X" doesn't match the "X' in the Xavier right next to it, it looks weird. "X" is such a distinguished letter, an unusual letter, that there should be only one "X" and that "X" should be used in all fonts. When you have the web site on your browser it has the athletic "X" without the shield, so that looks weird.

Basically the reasons behind the new logo according to the web page is about tradition, history, heritage, stuff like that. But then they throw in an athletic "X" in block, modern font it completely misses the point. That's just m opinion.

XU-PA
08-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Like it, understated, kind of medieval.

GuyFawkes38
08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
When it comes to advertising and marketing I always ask myself, "What would Don Draper think of it"? I think he would like it.

smileyy
08-17-2010, 04:16 PM

I think having "University" be shorter emphasies the "Xavier" more by drawing the eye to that word, rather than a uniform block.

Cheesehead
08-17-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm ok with it. I love the emphasis on the X.

Titanxman04
08-17-2010, 04:36 PM
All I know is I want to find those shields in the bookstore sometime soon. Would love to be doing some jousting with those things in hand.

They'd also be nice to carry them around in the concourse of Cintas and knocking UD fans out of line while waiting for a beer. Also, when you go to that Watermelon Dome up north, you can use it to defend yourself from all of those dayton fans talking shit to you...God knows we all hate it when they spit as they talk, even though they can't help it with all the teeth they're missing.