PDA

View Full Version : Pga championship....am i going to hit a long shot tomorrow?

Nigel Tufnel
08-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Before all the majors and a couple of the other big tourneys (Memorial, Players), I like to make things a little more fun by throwing $20 on Bodog and betting on about 10-12 guys to win. Small, fun wagers between $1-$5 depending on how much I like someone. I'll also throw down on some "to win" wagers after the cut. For $20, the entertainment factor can go through the roof. I'll never forget hitting Ogilvy at Winged Foot at 75/1 and watching Phil and Monty choke it away for the win. At any rate, I decided to just let my pre-tourney picks ride this week. Because of the fog, there really wasn't a chance to get in post cut picks. So the question is...am I going to win tomorrow or am I going to feel the heartbreak? Here's what I'm looking at tomorrow:

(4106) Jim Furyk 35/1 Thu@7:59a
Risk US$ 1.00 to win US$ 35.00

(4146) Jason Day 125/1 Thu@7:59a
Risk US$ 1.00 to win US$ 125.00

(4116) Nick Watney 40/1 Thu@7:59a
Risk US$ 1.00 to win US$ 40.00

The bogey on 18 really hurt Furyk today. I don't think he can go low enough on this long course, and I don't think the folks in front of him will fall far enough tomorrow, for him to win it. Getting greedy, it would be sweet to see Day pull it off....he definitely has the game to post a 66 or 67 tomorrow. I honestly think he has a chance. Watney....well, what type of final major round do we see from someone who hasn't been there? Do we see Louis (I'm not trying to spell his last name) in the final round of the British Open or do we see Dustin Johnson at Pebble Beach? Watney's putter today was insane....its been a while since I've seen a guy roll the ball like that (although maybe that Chinese guy today...wow)...got to wonder if he'll be missing those tomorrow.

I'm most concerned about that 21 year old bushy headed kid from Ireland. He has looked really solid since the first round. Dustin Johnson also concerns me.

So, will I be cashing in tomorrow...or will I be kicked in the gut? Tomorrow...no Tiger...no Phil....fine with me. I think tomorrow is going to be exciting.

joe titan
08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Watney is not as tightly wound as DJohnson nor as prone to slapping it 50 yds off line so IMO Watney should prevail. Day lacks experience to go low both weekend rounds. Rory does not putt well enough to charge. Better be careful of Martin Kaymer who is more consistent w/better all-round game & a little hungrier for major title.

Nigel Tufnel
08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Some of my buddies were shocked that Watney was only 40/1. I wasn't...he's been playing really well this year. On a side note....Whistling Straits is utterly amazing. That course...on Lake Michigan...in a small Wisconsin town....wow. Its absolutely beautiful. Talk about a risk/reward course....amazing. I asked my wife where she thought they were playing this weekend...without a hesitation, she said California. Substitute the waves and salt water, and you are pretty much there. Only in America (or maybe Dubai).

I hope you're right about Rory. He scares the snot out of me. His putting might not be strong...but for the past three rounds, his putting hasn't been an issue because he knocks it so close.

Disagree about Day....he's got two low weekend rounds in him. Not saying it will happen tomorrow, but wouldn't be shocked in the least. Personally, I'm calling a Watney/Day 1, 2 finish...either way, its all good.

BENWAR
08-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Before all the majors and a couple of the other big tourneys (Memorial, Players), I like to make things a little more fun by throwing $20 on Bodog and betting on about 10-12 guys to win. Small, fun wagers between $1-$5 depending on how much I like someone. I'll also throw down on some "to win" wagers after the cut. For $20, the entertainment factor can go through the roof. I'll never forget hitting Ogilvy at Winged Foot at 75/1 and watching Phil and Monty choke it away for the win. At any rate, I decided to just let my pre-tourney picks ride this week. Because of the fog, there really wasn't a chance to get in post cut picks. So the question is...am I going to win tomorrow or am I going to feel the heartbreak? Here's what I'm looking at tomorrow:

(4106) Jim Furyk 35/1 Thu@7:59a
Risk US$ 1.00 to win US$ 35.00

(4146) Jason Day 125/1 Thu@7:59a
Risk US$ 1.00 to win US$ 125.00

(4116) Nick Watney 40/1 Thu@7:59a
Risk US$ 1.00 to win US$ 40.00

The bogey on 18 really hurt Furyk today. I don't think he can go low enough on this long course, and I don't think the folks in front of him will fall far enough tomorrow, for him to win it. Getting greedy, it would be sweet to see Day pull it off....he definitely has the game to post a 66 or 67 tomorrow. I honestly think he has a chance. Watney....well, what type of final major round do we see from someone who hasn't been there? Do we see Louis (I'm not trying to spell his last name) in the final round of the British Open or do we see Dustin Johnson at Pebble Beach? Watney's putter today was insane....its been a while since I've seen a guy roll the ball like that (although maybe that Chinese guy today...wow)...got to wonder if he'll be missing those tomorrow.

I'm most concerned about that 21 year old bushy headed kid from Ireland. He has looked really solid since the first round. Dustin Johnson also concerns me.

So, will I be cashing in tomorrow...or will I be kicked in the gut? Tomorrow...no Tiger...no Phil....fine with me. I think tomorrow is going to be exciting.

It looks like you just got kicked in the gut.

X-band '01
08-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Steve Elkington is suddenly 2 back of the lead - this would be his 2nd major if he comes back to win. His other title was 15 years ago (also in the PGA Championship).

X-band '01
08-15-2010, 06:31 PM
That is a tough way for Dustin Johnson to fall out of a possible 3-way, 3-hole playoff.

As it is, Martin Kaymer and Bubba Watson will play 10, 17, and 18 for the title.

golfitup
08-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Golf rules are by far the most insane in any sport. Just a shocking and disgusting ruling.

And I love playing golf.