PDA

View Full Version : Mo Egger Compares X Basketball to Food

LadyMuskie
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Anyone else see this? Mo Egger was a guest blogger on a foodie website. He compared local sports figures and teams to local restaurant establishments. Here's what he said about X Basketball and Christ Mack . . .

Xavier Basketball. Always consistent, rewarding to its customers, sometimes we take them for granted, just like the Montgomery Inn.

Chris Mack. First impressions are good. Rusty Bucket.

Here's what he had to say about UC basketball and Mick Cronin . . .

UC Basketball. Used to be very, very good. Now, not so much. The Mount Adams Bar and Grill.

Mick Cronin. I want him to be good, but I doubt he’ll ever be. Sammy’s Gourmet Burgers in Blue Ash.

I've never eaten at The Rusty Bucket or Sammy's Gourmet Burgers so I can't comment there. I think a lot of things about Mount Adams tends to be overrated, so that comparison might be right. I have no problem with the comparison with Montgomery Inn (although we're Walt's fans), but I would think the Gregory family might.

If you want to check out the rest of what he wrote you can find it here http://winemedinemecincinnati.com/2010/08/andre-smith-was-busy-so-you-get-radio-guy-instead/.

GuyFawkes38
08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I think Xavier=Goldstar Chili

Chris Mack=Five Guys

UC=Skyline

Mick=White Castle

Strange Brew
08-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Xavier = The Precinct
Mack = Blue Ash Chili (great for a while but is now spreading its wings)
UC = Hardee's (Ok, not great for a while, now retracting)
Mick = Free Store Food Bank (UC is stuck with him b/c the AD is broke and has no other option)

Cheesehead
08-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I actually think Sammy's has very good burgers and I tend to be picky.

XU-XHI
08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
You must have Skyline & gs mixed up...gs can't hold a candle to Skyline like uc can't hold a candle to X.

I think Xavier=Goldstar Chili

Chris Mack=Five Guys

UC=Skyline

Mick=White Castle

PM Thor
08-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Xavier=Danas Burgers.
Chris Mack=Don Pablos in Blue Ash. Not an institution yet, but it will be.
UC=Montgomer Inn. Was pretty good back in the day, but wasn't ever as good as they thought they were.
Cronin=McDonalds. Terrible and greasy.

I HATE dayton.

wkrq59
08-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Xavier--The Golden Lamb

Chris Mack--Walt's on Colerain

UC--Pizza Hut

Mick Cronin--Dominos

:logo::shield::sword:

Jumpy
08-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Xavier = The Precinct
Mack = Blue Ash Chili (great for a while but is now spreading its wings)
UC = Hardee's (Ok, not great for a while, now retracting)
Mick = Free Store Food Bank (UC is stuck with him b/c the AD is broke and has no other option)

I'm having a hard time figuring out what this means, exactly.

ballyhoohoo
08-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Mick=White Castle

Mick Cronin makes me have to take a sh*t

ballyhoohoo
08-12-2010, 06:58 AM
I would go with the following

Xavier Basketball - Greaters Ice Cream, just flat out great stuff, locally known and repected for quite sometime, those outside of the city who know about it love it and those in the industry for the most part recognize it's excellance

Chris Mack - Five Guys, good stuff, new on the national scene and about to get huge

sUCks Basketball - Truck Stop Buffet, tons and tons of stuff that is not good, people who eat there generally know it is a bad idea but keep going back

Mick Cronin - Hot Pockets, small and you just feel greasey, anxious, and sick after close contact

Miami Basketball - Molases, slow, boring, and makes me sleepey

sash19
08-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Anyone else see this? Mo Egger was a guest blogger on a foodie website. He compared local sports figures and teams to local restaurant establishments. Here's what he said about X Basketball and Christ Mack . . .

Xavier Basketball. Always consistent, rewarding to its customers, sometimes we take them for granted, just like the Montgomery Inn.

Chris Mack. First impressions are good. Rusty Bucket.

Here's what he had to say about UC basketball and Mick Cronin . . .

UC Basketball. Used to be very, very good. Now, not so much. The Mount Adams Bar and Grill.

Mick Cronin. I want him to be good, but I doubt he’ll ever be. Sammy’s Gourmet Burgers in Blue Ash.

I've never eaten at The Rusty Bucket or Sammy's Gourmet Burgers so I can't comment there. I think a lot of things about Mount Adams tends to be overrated, so that comparison might be right. I have no problem with the comparison with Montgomery Inn (although we're Walt's fans), but I would think the Gregory family might.

If you want to check out the rest of what he wrote you can find it here http://winemedinemecincinnati.com/2010/08/andre-smith-was-busy-so-you-get-radio-guy-instead/.

Love it....The Rusty Bucket is one of the top lunch spots in town. The apple brown betty and brownie sunday are amazing.....I am there at least 2-3 times a month with friends.

chico
08-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Xavier - I like the Graeter's comparison.

Mack - BBQ revue.

UC - Zino's. Used to be really good but now non-existent.

Cronin - A nice, greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray. Either that or LJS.

X-band '01
08-12-2010, 09:57 AM

Xavier Basketball - Greaters Ice Cream, just flat out great stuff, locally known and repected for quite sometime, those outside of the city who know about it love it and those in the industry for the most part recognize it's excellance

Chris Mack - Five Guys, good stuff, new on the national scene and about to get huge

sUCks Basketball - Truck Stop Buffet, tons and tons of stuff that is not good, people who eat there generally know it is a bad idea but keep going back

Mick Cronin - Hot Pockets, small and you just feel greasey, anxious, and sick after close contact

Winner!

Masterofreality
08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Love it....The Rusty Bucket is one of the top lunch spots in town. The apple brown betty and brownie sunday are amazing.....I am there at least 2-3 times a month with friends.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEasy there, Sash.

Those desserts will make that svelte figure of yours disappear.

I want to be able to recognize you at the AFO Outing on 8/23.

Kahns Krazy
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM

I'm a huge Mack fan, but this might be taking it a bit far...

Kahns Krazy
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
The only thing I don't like about Mo's list is that Rusty Bucket is a Columbus based chain. I'd go with Flipdaddy's. Great idea, great selection, good execution. With a bit of experience, has huge potential.

And for Mick, I'd have to steal Mitch Hedberg's line about pancakes:
"As a comedian, you have to start the show strong and end the show strong. Those are the two key elements. You can’t be like pancakes: all exciting at first, but by the end you’re f**king sick of em. "

Mick Cronin is pancakes.

blobfan
08-12-2010, 12:17 PM

I have to say, I like the occasional pizza hot pocket and know many that do. I think Cronin is more like a balogna and white bread sandwich, sans condiments: It'll do in a pinch but few actually look forward to, and it's never going to be satisfying.

Otherwise spot on.

D-West & PO-Z
08-12-2010, 12:18 PM
I have to say, I like the occasional pizza hot pocket and know many that do. I think Cronin is more like a balogna and white bread sandwich, sans condiments: It'll do in a pinch but few actually look forward to, and it's never going to be satisfying.

Otherwise spot on.

I love bologna on white bread with a slice of cheese and no condiments!

LadyMuskie
08-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm a huge Mack fan, but this might be taking it a bit far...

Oops. Freudian slip, I guess :p I expect really big things from Mack!

Benxman
08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
From the original post, I have to strongly disagree with the Sammy's Gourmet Burgers reference. I not only like the burgers, but the service is always fast and friendly. Sammy, himself is a reallly good guy, too.
XU is like nothing in this town. Nothing else measures up! :D
Chris(t) Mack is like Papadeaux's (New on the scene but superior in every way).
UC is like The Macaroni Grill (used to be really good, but changed the menu and screwed it all up).
Mick Cronin is like Buffalo Wings (No meat, nothing but skin and bones).
GO MUSKIES!

:logo:

Titanxman04
08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
The only thing I don't like about Mo's list is that Rusty Bucket is a Columbus based chain. I'd go with Flipdaddy's. Great idea, great selection, good execution. With a bit of experience, has huge potential.

And for Mick, I'd have to steal Mitch Hedberg's line about pancakes:
"As a comedian, you have to start the show strong and end the show strong. Those are the two key elements. You can’t be like pancakes: all exciting at first, but by the end you’re f**king sick of em. "

Mick Cronin is pancakes.

Now THAT is a place to go grab a bite to eat. I went there recently, and those who are locals or are in the area need to do themselves a favor and check that place out. The sauce they have for their sweet potato fries is outstanding. Their burgers are great and their beer selection is unique.

Not too mention, every once in a while, they bring in a keg of a micro brew and sell pint for $7, but you keep the glass. Pretty neat little thing they do, that I'm sure isn't unique to just them, but it was still a treat when we went in. I plan on going back soon.

Kahns Krazy
08-12-2010, 02:31 PM
My only knock on Flipdaddy's is the place is a little short on atmosphere. I think that's the easiest thing to fix. Sort of like when Mack was thrown into the banquet as the head coach for all of 1 day. He lacked a little presence. Understandable for the "grand opening" to continue the metaphor. A year later, he's an enjoyable coach to listen to, and little touches like swinging through Dana's after the Dayton game are the things that make a good fan's coach into a great fan's coach.

blobfan
08-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I love bologna on white bread with a slice of cheese and no condiments!

The exception that proves the rule. Some people like Mick too but there's no real substance or nutrition there and it will never be more than what it is: a hurredly slapped together meal made from overprocessed bread and overprocessed meat.

D-West & PO-Z
08-12-2010, 02:43 PM
The exception that proves the rule. Some people like Mick too but there's no real substance or nutrition there and it will never be more than what it is: a hurredly slapped together meal made from overprocessed bread and overprocessed meat.

Haha, true. It was always a hurried meal mad for lunch in the morning.

GuyFawkes38
08-12-2010, 10:03 PM
You must have Skyline & gs mixed up...gs can't hold a candle to Skyline like uc can't hold a candle to X.

I was just thinking about how Goldstar has quietly built a pretty large chain. Skyline is always too hyped up.

but yeah, I prefer Skyline. So maybe it's a bad analogy.