PDA

View Full Version : College FB NC

XUglow
08-11-2010, 10:35 AM
What non-SEC team wins the NC this year? I thought Texas could have won last year if McCoy stays healthy.

D-West & PO-Z
08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
What if I told you there was a BCS bowl winning team that returns 20 starters?

They would have to be a championship contender no? Too bad even if they go undefeated they might not get a chance.

Boo BCS.

D-West & PO-Z
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
OSU has a real shot. I hope they dont do it but they have a pretty good team.

Backyard Champ
08-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Boise State. They have a legit chance if they win at VT early in the season. It's a very tough place to play, but I think they can beat them. After that they should go undefeated.

D-West & PO-Z
08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Boise State. They have a legit chance if they win at VT early in the season. It's a very tough place to play, but I think they can beat them. After that they should go undefeated.

So many people still seem to think that they still wouldnt get the shot at the NC game. Even if there they were the only undefeated team and there were two other 1 loss teams from SEC and or Big 10 etc.

GoMuskies
08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
The Boise/VaTech game is at FedEx Field in D.C./NoVA. Boise is a 2.5 point favorite. Definitely the game of week one.

Too bad for Boise they're not already in the MWC. Their schedule strength could use a little BYU and TCU.

xu95
08-11-2010, 11:24 AM
You lost me at non-SEC.

xu95

xudash
08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
By process of elimination:

Any BE school? Okay, I've stopped laughing so I can type again: No.

USC? Nope, not for a few years at least, when they can start cheating again.

Oregon? Not without their recently departed QB, who may end up partying in the very, very old South.

Without those two in the running, I write-off the balance of the Pac10.

Since I hurt myself, laughing about the BE, I'm not even going to mention any ACC team for consideration.

So, it looks like Ohio State or Texas. There was a blurb on television about the jump T. Pryor is going to make this year and how committed he is to winning. He's even gone on record as stating that he'll stick around for his senior year.

Ohio State it is.

XUglow
08-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Masoli is already on the practice field at Ole Miss. They went from pretty good team with no QB to solid contender overnight. The SEC West is going to be very good this year. Petrino has been building at UPig. They will be dangerous, but Bama is still the odds-on favorite to repeat. LSU is loaded with talent, but they aren't well coached by the Mad Hatter.

xudash
08-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Masoli is already on the practice field at Ole Miss. They went from pretty good team with no QB to solid contender overnight. The SEC West is going to be very good this year. Petrino has been building at UPig. They will be dangerous, but Bama is still the odds-on favorite to repeat. LSU is loaded with talent, but they aren't well coached by the Mad Hatter.

I have one question for you: chandelier and china or plastic at tailgates?

American X
08-11-2010, 12:26 PM
http://smartassradio.com/wp-content/gallery/site-images/irish.gif

Natch

xudash
08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
http://smartassradio.com/wp-content/gallery/site-images/irish.gif

Natch

Um, with all due respect, they aren't going to factor into the equation this year.

Beyond that, if Kelly can't turn them around, it will be interesting to read and hear about the reasons why. I still have to believe that, much to ND's credit, they've put themselves at a competitive disadvantage due to their academic acceptance requirements.

And don't respond to me Re rating services, etc. The kids that flow into the top SEC schools couldn't sniff ND if their lives depended on it. Holtz got things loosened up for him, but they tightened after him, and the results, especially in the BCS bowls, reflect that.

GoMuskies
08-11-2010, 02:18 PM
The kids that flow into the top SEC schools couldn't sniff ND if their lives depended on it. Holtz got things loosened up for him, but they tightened after him, and the results, especially in the BCS bowls, reflect that.

You actually believe that?!?

XUglow
08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I have one question for you: chandelier and china or plastic at tailgates?

Any tailgate where I don't have to do anything other than show up and eat and drink is good with me. Ole Miss has that part down to a fine art, but there are no bad tailgates in the SEC. OK, Vandy is not so great before the game, but downtown after the game makes up for it.

xudash
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
You actually believe that?!?

Help me understand how that isn't the case.

Are you suggesting that, as an example, Alabama's entire offensive line would qualify for Notre Dame?

GoMuskies
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Help me understand how that isn't the case.

Are you suggesting that, as an example, Alabama's entire offensive line would qualify for Notre Dame?

I'm suggesting that if you are a four star football player and qualify under NCAA rules, they'll get you into school.

bourbonman
08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
What non-SEC team wins the NC this year?

This question is as bad as asking "When did you stop beating your wife?" Why lead the witness? Why not just ask what team wins the NC?

XUglow
08-11-2010, 04:35 PM
This question is as bad as asking "When did you stop beating your wife?" Why lead the witness? Why not just ask what team wins the NC?

I wanted to spark some discusson. It could have looked like this...

Me: Who wins the college fb nc this year?
'95: Alabama
Me: I agree.

End of thread.

xudash
08-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm suggesting that if you are a four star football player and qualify under NCAA rules, they'll get you into school.

I agree with that. But I would again caution against putting too much reliance on some of the rating services.

This goes for everyone outside the SEC, not just ND: I believe the SEC is very much about football first and that conference will bend the rules as much as possible to get some kid in an SEC-affiliated uniform.

Beyond that, it is a fact that ND has failed and failed miserably since the inception of the BCS; Notre Dame has essentially gotten spanked in each of the BCS bowls it played in. That cannot just be about bad coaching coupled with stellar recruits who were not utilized properly. While attracting certain stars in certain skill positions over the years, across the board - for the entire roster - it seems to me that ND cannot keep up with the leviathans of the sport because of its admissions standards.

waggy
08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
How bout the Horny Frogs?

xu95
08-12-2010, 07:55 AM
I wanted to spark some discusson. It could have looked like this...

Me: Who wins the college fb nc this year?
'95: Alabama
Me: I agree.

End of thread.

Glow you deserve some reps for this. Unfortunately the Man (Muskie) is keeping me down.

xu95

xu95
08-12-2010, 07:56 AM
I agree with that. But I would again caution against putting too much reliance on some of the rating services.

This goes for everyone outside the SEC, not just ND: I believe the SEC is very much about football first and that conference will bend the rules as much as possible to get some kid in an SEC-affiliated uniform.

Beyond that, it is a fact that ND has failed and failed miserably since the inception of the BCS; Notre Dame has essentially gotten spanked in each of the BCS bowls it played in. That cannot just be about bad coaching coupled with stellar recruits who were not utilized properly. While attracting certain stars in certain skill positions over the years, across the board - for the entire roster - it seems to me that ND cannot keep up with the leviathans of the sport because of its admissions standards.

I disagree with this. If you think that the SEC will bend the rules anymore than any other BCS conference you are fooling yourself.

xu95

GoMuskies
08-12-2010, 10:11 AM
How bout the Horny Frogs?

Weak non-conference schedule. MWC won't be nearly tough enough to overcome that. Probably another BCS bowl if they go undefeated, though.

xudash
08-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I disagree with this. If you think that the SEC will bend the rules anymore than any other BCS conference you are fooling yourself.

xu95

The average GSR scores of the six BCS conferences (2008):

1. ACC........72.3
2. Big East...67.4
3. Big Ten....66
4. Big 12.....63.2
5. Pac-10.....61.3
6. SEC.........60.5

If the most important thing they have to do, on paper, is to educate and graduate student-athletes, they are most definitely bringing up the rear.

xu95
08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
THat's not because they are skirting any more rules than other conferences to get players in. Are you telling me that if a lot of the kids from Alabama's football team wanted to go to OSU they wouldn't take them?

xu95

XUglow
08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
The average GSR scores of the six BCS conferences (2008):

1. ACC........72.3
2. Big East...67.4
3. Big Ten....66
4. Big 12.....63.2
5. Pac-10.....61.3
6. SEC.........60.5

If the most important thing they have to do, on paper, is to educate and graduate student-athletes, they are most definitely bringing up the rear.

Dash, you would have to compare the GSR to that of the general population to use that in any meaningful way. I believe that graduating college for these kids is more probable if they play college ball than if they don't.

At Cal, we cut corners to get FB and BB players. If we didn't, almost all of those guys wouldn't have even sniffed school at Berkeley. I would also bet that our GSR in the early 70s was 10 to 20%. Graduation was an afterthought. Finding courses to get the players back in school the next semester was about as far as anyone ever looked.

Our QB sat next to me in Art History. We had a test one day, and the guy copies my test and hands it in. He then puts his head on his desk and goes to sleep. The prof comes back with the paper. Looks at the guy sleeping. Looks at me, and says, "He left the back blank. Shall I wake him and have him finish it, or do you want to fill it in for him directly? Some times he can't see what you wrote very clearly."

xudash
08-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Dash, you would have to compare the GSR to that of the general population to use that in any meaningful way. I believe that graduating college for these kids is more probable if they play college ball than if they don't.

At Cal, we cut corners to get FB and BB players. If we didn't, almost all of those guys wouldn't have even sniffed school at Berkeley. I would also bet that our GSR in the early 70s was 10 to 20%. Graduation was an afterthought. Finding courses to get the players back in school the next semester was about as far as anyone ever looked.

Our QB sat next to me in Art History. We had a test one day, and the guy copies my test and hands it in. He then puts his head on his desk and goes to sleep. The prof comes back with the paper. Looks at the guy sleeping. Looks at me, and says, "He left the back blank. Shall I wake him and have him finish it, or do you want to fill it in for him directly? Some times he can't see what you wrote very clearly."

Now that's funny.

I'll let this go, but I do believe the SEC is inclined to bend the rules more than other conferences. The SEC teams collectively as a conference, not any particular SEC team; Vanderbilt clearly isn't doing anything to skirt anything having to do with academics. They foam at the mouth down here over football; the SEC exists primarily as an athletic conference, as compared to the Big Ten, which has its visible and prioritized academic affiliation side.

I shouldn't have brought the SEC into the discussion specifically, as the main point - opinion - I wanted to express was that I believe ND to be at a competitive disadvantage due to its admissions standards. We'll see if Kelly proves me wrong.

xu95
08-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Now that's funny.

I'll let this go, but I do believe the SEC is inclined to bend the rules more than other conferences. The SEC teams collectively as a conference, not any particular SEC team; Vanderbilt clearly isn't doing anything to skirt anything having to do with academics. They foam at the mouth down here over football; the SEC exists primarily as an athletic conference, as compared to the Big Ten, which has its visible and prioritized academic affiliation side.

I shouldn't have brought the SEC into the discussion specifically, as the main point - opinion - I wanted to express was that I believe ND to be at a competitive disadvantage due to its admissions standards. We'll see if Kelly proves me wrong.

I guess you are basing this off of the success that the SEC has had on the field. If the same players were coming in and their teams weren't winning would you have the same thoughts.

Everyone naturally assumes that when someone wins they are cheating.

Butler made it to the NC game last year. They must be cheating.

xu95