PDA

View Full Version : Bengals

XU-PA
08-08-2010, 08:11 PM
From a die hard fan.
The first string needs work, Carson's got the receivers now, he needs to learn how to find them. No excuses.
Second string, wow, it reminds me of the bad years, when players go down with little bumps and bruises or legit injuries you hope the next line can help out. Uh, they can't.
J.T. O'Sullivan, not ready for the NFL, bring on the little bro'

XU 87
08-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Geeez. It's the first preseason game.

But I don't care if Carson has Rice and Charlie Joiner to throw to. If he doesn't time to throw, he's going to struggle, as would any QB.

waggy
08-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Football brings out the kook in people.

Kahns Krazy
08-08-2010, 08:56 PM
There certainly wasn't anything inspiring about the first string offense tonight, but I'm not going to worry about anything with the first game that counts a month away.

waggy
08-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I think even I could play linebacker against little Palmer. He threw it right to him. Didn't even have to move.

XUOWNSUC
08-08-2010, 09:33 PM
A couple of observations:

Our back-up QBs suck. Is there anybody out there who would be an upgrade? Can Mark Brunell still walk?

I'm pleasantly surprised with Adam Jones. I'm looking forward to seeing him more this pre-season.

Way too many penalties.

Geno Atkins looks good too.

Raynar had the whole kicking game to himself tonight to show what he can do. Too bad he won't get a FG attempt because our offense blows tonight.

It's the first of five pre-season games. You can't get too worked up about anything at this point (except for the penalties and back-up QBs).

drudy23
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Note to the Palmers....if yuo draw the defense offsides, quit taking a friggin' knee...you do realize that you have a FREE PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Jordan....make sure you actually get the penalty when you down the ball...moron.

waggy
08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
This team is a potential powderkeg though. With Lewis in the last year of his contract, things could get weird. Which is saying something. All fans know the Bungals, and I seriously doubt TO will be able to control himself through one of our typical seasons. The meltdown will be epic.

Titanxman04
08-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Note to the Palmers....if yuo draw the defense offsides, quit taking a friggin' knee...you do realize that you have a FREE PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Jordan....make sure you actually get the penalty when you down the ball...moron.

Actually, while I didn't watch the game, I don't play the Palmers for taking a knee. It's pre-season. Even if it's a free play, it's in a game that doesn't matter, and fact is, you don't want anyone getting hurt. Take the five yards and keep everyone healthy. I fully support this decision.

During scrimmages in lacrosse, if there was a penalty we would have them just drop the ball occasionally to avoid any chances of penalties.

XUOWNSUC
08-08-2010, 09:50 PM

Does any other team in the NFL take a knee in these type of situations?

XU-PA
08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Agreed, nothing on a team basis can be gleamed from a game like this, but it is time to evaluate the players.

Little Bro, nice arm, no vision, he and JT should move on. Looking at how the two of them played, the Bengals are in trouble, big trouble if Carson comes out of a game.

drudy23
08-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Actually, while I didn't watch the game, I don't play the Palmers for taking a knee. It's pre-season. Even if it's a free play, it's in a game that doesn't matter, and fact is, you don't want anyone getting hurt. Take the five yards and keep everyone healthy. I fully support this decision.

During scrimmages in lacrosse, if there was a penalty we would have them just drop the ball occasionally to avoid any chances of penalties.

Carson does it in the regular season 100% of the time...it's one of the dumbest football decisions I have ever seen. It's simply stupid.

You get 5 yards, but have a FREE chance to pick up 50 yards....or 10 yards....or 99 yards...or 6 yards...there are alot of numbers of yards over the 5 you get for the penalty.

And no, I have NEVER seen another NFL, college, high school, or grade school team do this....ever.

It's stupid football.

XUOWNSUC
08-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Carson does it in the regular season 100% of the time...it's one of the dumbest football decisions I have ever seen. It's simply stupid.

You get 5 yards, but have a FREE chance to pick up 50 yards....or 10 yards....or 99 yards...or 6 yards...there are alot of numbers of yards over the 5 you get for the penalty.

And no, I have NEVER seen another NFL, college, high school, or grade school team do this....ever.

It's stupid football.

It's Bratkowski football!

Jumpy
08-09-2010, 05:46 AM

It's stupid football.

They don't run the play because when Carson's doing that, the ball was snapped early. There is an understanding between Carson and the centers that, should anyone jump early on a call, the center snaps the ball early to catch the defense offsides. The rest of the offense doesn't know that the ball is getting snapped early, so they aren't moving. Therefore, Carson has no choice but to take a knee. They've been doing this for years, its nothing new.

Jumpy
08-09-2010, 05:54 AM
And to everyone ready to jump off a ledge: come on back inside. It was the first of five preseason games. A game in which half of the starters on both sides of the ball didn't play. there is no reason to view any of last nights happenings negatively. In a game like that, you look for the positives from the guys deep down on the depth chart and I saw a few. Geno Atkins played very well, as did Jordan Shipley.

XUOWNSUC
08-09-2010, 06:02 AM
And to everyone ready to jump off a ledge: come on back inside. It was the first of five preseason games. A game in which half of the starters on both sides of the ball didn't play. there is no reason to view any of last nights happenings negatively. In a game like that, you look for the positives from the guys deep down on the depth chart and I saw a few. Geno Atkins played very well, as did Jordan Shipley.

Who's getting ready to jump off a ledge? Everybody in this thread has pretty much said that it was the 1st pre-season game so you can't take too much from the game (see above quotes). You can, however, start to evaluate players - that's partly the reason why they play these games.

drudy23
08-09-2010, 08:11 AM
They don't run the play because when Carson's doing that, the ball was snapped early. There is an understanding between Carson and the centers that, should anyone jump early on a call, the center snaps the ball early to catch the defense offsides. The rest of the offense doesn't know that the ball is getting snapped early, so they aren't moving. Therefore, Carson has no choice but to take a knee. They've been doing this for years, its nothing new.

I understand that...but they still don't use the free play even if the D jumps on the correct count.

Plus, if Carson has that understanding with his center, then why not have that same understanding with your wide-outs?

"Hey guys...if that happens, I'm taking 2 steps and throwing a jump ball for you 20-25 yards downfield."

gladdenguy
08-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Carson Palmer is the number 15 ranked quarterback in my fantasy league. I don't know how he is not lower than 20. I think 87 is doing the rankings.
87, you already blaming the offensive line for the tin man????
He might go out as the greatest quarterback to never throw for more than 30 TDs one time, never throw for more than 4,131 yards and of course never win a playoff game.
And Tom Brady makes 10 million plus less than him. What a joke. If I were Brady I would use one Carson Palmer for a prime example of why he should make a ton more money.

Kahns Krazy
08-09-2010, 08:28 AM
I understand that...but they still don't use the free play even if the D jumps on the correct count.

Plus, if Carson has that understanding with his center, then why not have that same understanding with your wide-outs?

"Hey guys...if that happens, I'm taking 2 steps and throwing a jump ball for you 20-25 yards downfield."

When the D jumps when they have a play called, they run the play. I don't know what football games you watch, but Carson isn't taking a knee when the other ten players are running.

The wide outs just aren't ready to go. They are still waiting for a play to be called. The line isn't ready to block. The defense, who is unaware there is no play called, is ready to beat the crap out of the line and the QB. Running a play in that scenario is just dumb.

Did you see last night when Jordan took a knee and the defense had gotten back onside? Your jump ball scenario becomes a potential 6 the other way if that happens.

D-West & PO-Z
08-09-2010, 08:29 AM
From a die hard fan.
The first string needs work, Carson's got the receivers now, he needs to learn how to find them. No excuses.
Second string, wow, it reminds me of the bad years, when players go down with little bumps and bruises or legit injuries you hope the next line can help out. Uh, they can't.
J.T. O'Sullivan, not ready for the NFL, bring on the little bro'

Seriously, I had said that before. The Cowboys 3rd string QB looked better than O'Sullivan, at least in the first half when I watched.

Jumpy
08-09-2010, 08:30 AM

What is going to happen if they try to run the play when half the offense hasn't even realized that the ball has been snapped? Carson would be killed by a linebacker, that's what.

EDIT: I misunderstood your post the first time I read it. I've seen them run plays on the correct count when a D-lineman has jumped offsides.

XU 87
08-09-2010, 08:30 AM
87, you already blaming the offensive line for the tin man????

Nope, but I saw a few plays and he didn't seem to be getting much time to throw. It's tough to make good throws when you're constantly getting pressured.

The Bengals are starting three guys on the offensive line who are undrafted free agents. That could be a problem.

Muskie
08-09-2010, 08:31 AM
The OL is a sieve. Any chance they can find some camp fodder from other teams to shore up the cracks?

Jumpy
08-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Who's getting ready to jump off a ledge? Everybody in this thread has pretty much said that it was the 1st pre-season game so you can't take too much from the game (see above quotes). You can, however, start to evaluate players - that's partly the reason why they play these games.

The first post in this thread pretty much set the tone- writing off O'Sullivan after one half's worth of work and saying the game reminded him of the "bad years".

D-West & PO-Z
08-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Kevin Huber looked great last night though. He has a hell of a leg on him.

JimCoker
08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
As long as Whitworth (sp) is starting on the left side, the offense will be sporadic. Palmer will never have time to throw, especially the deep ball. Whit is a very good run blocker, but an absolute liability against a quick pass rusher.

Maybe we should spend a first round pick on an offensive tackle. Oh wait, that is what the genious did last year when he selected Andre Smith. It will not shock me if the Bengals cut their losses and waive Smith at the end of this preseason. There is zero indication that he will ever help us.

Kahns Krazy
08-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I would be very interested to know what Gladdenguy thinks of Palmer. He's so vague about his opinion on the subject.

xsteve1
08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
As long as Whitworth (sp) is starting on the left side, the offense will be sporadic. Palmer will never have time to throw, especially the deep ball. Whit is a very good run blocker, but an absolute liability against a quick pass rusher.

Maybe we should spend a first round pick on an offensive tackle. Oh wait, that is what the genious did last year when he selected Andre Smith. It will not shock me if the Bengals cut their losses and waive Smith at the end of this preseason. There is zero indication that he will ever help us.

How much did they pay Smith last year? Hope he invested it well but I doubt he did.

muckem muckem
08-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Besides the pitifull pass blocking, the thing that stood out the most to me was Carson's lack of arm strength. There was no zip on his passes. I hope he's got more than what I saw last night.

rhyno2110
08-09-2010, 04:32 PM
I was at the game, and as you guys know, the Bengals 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks were much worse than the Cowboys 3rd string quarterback.

It was also a great experience. Emmitt Smith is definetly the coolest guy in the NFL. TO was signing footballs like crazy, and was hanging out with Ochocinco a lot on the sideline.

But both teams looked really rusty on offense overall, moreso the Bengals. And those cheerleaders distracted me the whole game.

X-band '01
08-09-2010, 07:56 PM
And those cheerleaders distracted me the whole game.

You could say that for any event that Miss Muskie or another member of XUGlow's crew is involved.