PDA

View Full Version : Otto Porter, PF (Commit Other)

Xman95
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Ht:6'8"
Wt:190 lbs
Sikeston, Missouri
Scott County Central

Being that there's a little talk about him in another thread, figured he could have his own.

I watched the YouTube video of him and he was pretty impressive. Of course most people do in highlight videos. One thing I really liked was when he was moving and would receive a pass 8-12 feet away from the rim. He would catch, immediately give a little jab step, then take a fadeaway. It's a nice move and one the kid has obviously worked on. It shows up a couple times on the clip.

JimmyTwoTimes37
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Ht:6'8"
Wt:190 lbs
Sikeston, Missouri
Scott County Central

Being that there's a little talk about him in another thread, figured he could have his own.

I watched the YouTube video of him and he was pretty impressive. Of course most people do in highlight videos. One thing I really liked was when he was moving and would receive a pass 8-12 feet away from the rim. He would catch, immediately give a little jab step, then take a fadeaway. It's a nice move and one the kid has obviously worked on. It shows up a couple times on the clip.

I might as well repost what I posted in the other thread...

I just heard about this guy. He's putting up video game type numbers (granted I'm sure the competition is pretty horrific). Very intriguing player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5HKn9r_HU

In the state final four, Porter averaged 31 points and 24.5 rebounds. He had 29 points and 35 rebounds in the Finals.

"He's OK with it," Porter said about his father's attitude about the record. "He was very impressed, happy for me. He just told me I have to keep working harder. He said you got 35, why didn't you get 40?"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Xman95
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I might as well repost what I posted in the other thread...

I'm glad you reposted it. I thought about it, but was too lazy to actually go through the process!

JimmyTwoTimes37
07-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Otto went for 31 points, 20 rebounds, and 8 steals against 6'6" Florida signee Casey Prather (#25 in Class of 2010 ESPN) in the Eiffel Tower Shootout

Otto finished with 21 points and 14 boards against St. Elizabeth in about 2-2.5 quarters. His team, the SCC Braves, won 96-46. Mizzou coach Mike Anderson was in attendance, as well as scouts from Purdue and Illinois.

X Factor
07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
So where do we stand with this kid? Is he interested in X? Never heard of him until now. Those numbers
he put up are freakin' ridiculous. Sounds like a very intriguing player.

wkrq59
07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I seriously question the rebounding numbers, which are sometimes almost as subjective as the assist and steal numbers

:logo:

MHettel
07-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm from St.Louis and the highlight clip showed the names of the High Schools, and I've never heard of eitehr of them.

Might be a Brad Redford scenario where he's just dominating at a very low level of competition.

35 rebounds is just so out of the question. Thats not positioning or having good hands. That being 8 inches taller than everyone.

JimmyTwoTimes37
07-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Boys player of the year: Otto Porter

http://www.standard-democrat.com/story/1623541.html

"However, it's not his height that makes him stand out. It's not even his 747-like wingspan that he calls arms. Otto Porter is the reason Otto Porter stands out. His tireless work ethic and his general personality has placed him towards the top of the Missouri recruiting ladder as one of the most sought after junior recruits.....He led the area with 28.2 points and 14.1 rebounds a game and was a vital part of the Braves' back-to-back Class 1 state championships."

I take it Class 1 is the smallest school division in Missouri?

"Porter scored a career-high 43 points against the Portageville Bulldogs in a 102-63 Braves win....A week later he torched the Charleston Bluejays for 33 points ....His biggest individual spectacle was performed on the biggest stage of the year. Porter grabbed a state record 35 rebounds in the Braves' 14th state title game against Pilot Grove at Mizzou Arena in Columbia. He surpassed his father, Otto Porter Sr., who set the same record with 25 rebounds in 1976.Porter also set the two-game record with a total of 49 rebounds. A record also held by his father"

xavierj
07-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm from St.Louis and the highlight clip showed the names of the High Schools, and I've never heard of eitehr of them.

Might be a Brad Redford scenario where he's just dominating at a very low level of competition.

35 rebounds is just so out of the question. Thats not positioning or having good hands. That being 8 inches taller than everyone.

Well he did put up 31, 20 and had 8 steals against against the Florida signee Casey Prather who is a top 40 kid in the 2010 class. It is almost unheard of for a guy to be a top 100 player without playing AAU ball. He's tall, fast, athletic and has skill. I love Brad but he can just shoot really well.

ballyhoohoo
07-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Well he did put up 31, 20 and had 8 steals against against the Florida signee Casey Prather who is a top 40 kid in the 2010 class. It is almost unheard of for a guy to be a top 100 player without playing AAU ball. He's tall, fast, athletic and has skill. I love Brad but he can just shoot really well.

Duncan is the only one I can think of who was top 100 without being an AAU guy

Xman95
07-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Watch the video that Jimmy posted the link to. This kid looks to have some skills. Has a nice shot for a big man, some decent moves, appears to have good hands, etc. One thing that didn't stand out was him attacking for rebounds or to score. It might just be difficult to see on a short video clip, but I didn't notice him attacking. He might have that side to his game, but I didn't notice it. Of course I watched during lunch at work so it wasn't like I was locked on the video either!

Mo_Hoops
07-23-2010, 07:26 PM

I've seen Porter play several times and can tell you he's the real deal. While I doubt many people would know the Dadeville team in that video (small town in SW Missouri), I'm suprised you aren't familiar with Sikeston (2 hours south of St. Louis). They've been a perennial Class 4 contender the last 5 years, just have had bad luck running into eventual state champs Notre Dame and St. Francis Borgia. They were ranked #2 nearly all year last season before losing to Borgia in the quarterfinals.

Going back to Porter, he's from a small school called Scott County Central (around 100 kids grades 9-12) but from a tradition rich program (14 state titles). While they are small, the only time they play schools their size is during the playoffs. They play in several shootouts and large tournaments in the Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee area with their schedule consisting of mostly Class 4 and 5 (largest class in Missouri). While Porter's numbers may seem gaudy, they are accurate. That 35 rebound game was in the state finals, where stats are kept by official scorers for media/record purposes. I saw him matchup against Dallas Lincoln's Lebryan Nash at the beginning of the high school season and go for 15pts and 15rbs despite playing in foul trouble most of the game. The next night he had 30 and 15 on West Memphis (who was the Class 6 runnerup in Arkansas last year).

The thing about him is he has such a high motor and great body control. He's not going out muscle you or jump over you, but is always active and gets in the right position whether its crashing the boards or working on offense. His skill set is very high for a player his size. He handles the ball well, finishes well with either hand around the rim, shoots very well in that 15-18ft range, and can defend in the open floor. Eric Bossi from Rivals has compared him to Anthony Davis (top 10 in 2011) in his frame and skill set. The thing that has hurt (or helped depending on your view of summer ball) is that Porter has not been allowed to play AAU. His dad was a heckuva player himself, but would rather have him working on his own during the summers than traveling around the country for showcases.

From what I've heard Mizzou is after him the hardest, along with Memphis, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Ole Miss, SLU, and Xavier.

SixFig
07-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Otto is a palindrome...just FYI

JimmyTwoTimes37
07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Gonna be tough to get him out of Mizzou/Big 12-2 country...

You never know though

MADXSTER
07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Wonder if he ran into any of the Pro Xavier players that just came in town yesterday....Derrick Brown, Jordan Crawford, etc.

smileyy
07-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Otto is a palindrome...just FYI

It'd be more impressive if his name were Retro P Porter

Emp
07-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Sounds like Dad being able to see son play is an issue. Very involved.....I dont think he's going more than a 2 hour drive away from home, unless Xavier had something to offer that Mizzou and Illinois dont.

JimmyTwoTimes37
02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Is X even involved with Porter anymore? Kid had a triple double in 3 quarters. 31 points, 11 rebounds, 11 steals....he's 6'8. Wow. Granted the team he's playing this game is pretty bad, but he seemingly puts up ridiculous numbers every game

He just got invited to the Jordan Brand Classic

http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/STLouis/article/Otto-Porter-goes-in-on-Oran/

stjamesxu08
02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
What I really like about him is that he didn't choose some underground hip-hop song that I've never heard of so I can't jam to his soundtrack...I almost started playing the Thunderstruck drinking game by myself during his highlight reel...THUNDER!!!!

Anywho, I also really liked that he doesn't need to dunk everytime he touches the ball to score, even though he is towering over all his competition. I appreciate a big man who can score around the basket without having to dunk. He has a nice touch around the rim, and uses the backboard to his advantage...however, I will admit that I do have a tendency to get frustrated with Kenny when he doesn't go up strong and just bring the backboard down on top of his defender, but I appreciate that Kenny can score using the backboard to his advantage!

I say we do anything and everything we can to get this guy, because it seems like Jordan Latham is having some serious growing pains when it comes to adjusting from the highschool game to the college game

xavierj
02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I mentioned him about a year ago. I think xavier tried but he will stay close to home.

JimmyTwoTimes37
04-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Committed to GeorgeTown today.

GT is getting a hell of a player

STL_XUfan
04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
From Mizzou basketball's go to twitter source, Kim English (I hate myself for typing that sentence):

Englishscope24 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Englishscope24) Kim English
Understandable RT @ebosshoops (http://twitter.com/ebosshoops) Otto Porter's high school coach Kenyon Wright has confirmed Porter's commitment to Georgetown.

Don't blame Porter at all. You don't pick a school going into a blind situation , even if it is your home state school. It's about comfort.

He KNOWS what to expect at Gtown. Knows the staff, knows the players, knows the system is proven and education is immaculate their.

Otto is a good kid. Comes from a good family. I wish him the best at Georgetown. But ima still bust his tale playing pick up this summer.

whiteyxu
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
From Mizzou basketball's go to twitter source, Kim English (I hate myself for typing that sentence):

Understandable RT @ebosshoops (http://twitter.com/ebosshoops) Otto Porter's high school coach Kenyon Wright has confirmed Porter's commitment to Georgetown.

Don't blame Porter at all. You don't pick a school going into a blind situation , even if it is your home state school. It's about comfort.

He KNOWS what to expect at Gtown. Knows the staff, knows the players, knows the system is proven and education is immaculate their.

Otto is a good kid. Comes from a good family. I wish him the best at Georgetown. But ima still bust his tale playing pick up this summer.

Sounds like English isn't too thrilled about the coaching change. It's so disappointing to see Mike Anderson leave Mizzou this year when they were right on the verge of potentially doing something great. They had a disappointing season this past year for sure, but they only lost one player in Safford who, quite frankly, wasn't any good, and they have a ton of senior talent. Frank Haith is walking into an ideal situation, except for the fact that it seems nobody in the Mizzou fanbase is supportive of him. It would be interesting to see if English would have said the same thing ("You don't pick a school going into a blind situation , even if it is your home state school. It's about comfort.") had Matt Painter taken the job.

STL_XUfan
04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Sounds like English isn't too thrilled about the coaching change. It's so disappointing to see Mike Anderson leave Mizzou this year when they were right on the verge of potentially doing something great. They had a disappointing season this past year for sure, but they only lost one player in Safford who, quite frankly, wasn't any good, and they have a ton of senior talent. Frank Haith is walking into an ideal situation, except for the fact that it seems nobody in the Mizzou fanbase is supportive of him. It would be interesting to see if English would have said the same thing ("You don't pick a school going into a blind situation , even if it is your home state school. It's about comfort.") had Matt Painter taken the job.

I could see how you get that from those tweets, but I think he was only talking about what he would be feeling if he was in Otto's position (better to know what you are getting into, rather then walking into an unknown situation).

Overall, English has publicly supported the new coach. He has even joked around with old players calling them #teamanderson and himself #teamhaith.

Then again, much to the fear of the athletic department, Kim has no filter on Twitter (which makes him really fun to follow). He was constantly tweeting updates about who he wanted to be our new coach (big fan of Shaka) and his opinions of possible candidates. While he never spoke about Haith, his silence shows that Haith wasn't on the short list of candidates that he wanted to see at Mizzou.

whiteyxu
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I could see how you get that from those tweets, but I think he was only talking about what he would be feeling if he was in Otto's position (better to know what you are getting into, rather then walking into an unknown situation).

Overall, English has publicly supported the new coach. He has even joked around with old players calling them #teamanderson and himself #teamhaith.

Then again, much to the fear of the athletic department, Kim has no filter on Twitter (which makes him really fun to follow). He was constantly tweeting updates about who he wanted to be our new coach (big fan of Shaka) and his opinions of possible candidates. While he never spoke about Haith, his silence shows that Haith wasn't on the short list of candidates that he wanted to see at Mizzou.

I didn't know that about previous statements, so that pretty much makes my guess wrong then. Best of luck to Otto regardless, he's a big part of a very strong recruiting class from MO this year.