PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open

waggy
06-18-2010, 11:45 PM
How 'bout the 14th? Wow.

I hope it's sunny and windy the next two days.

X-band '01
06-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Sunny? Yes. Windy? Nope. Chilly? That's what you get with a major in NoCal (although Pebble Beach is always a great U.S. Open venue).

With this tournament being located in the Pacific Time Zone, we do get treated to primetime golf (in the Eastern/Central Time Zones, at least). Sometimes I wonder why the PGA doesn't at least try to have 1 primetime tournament during the summer. Obviously you can't have nighttime golf on a course, and you do have most of the West Coast tournaments in February/March, but you would think there would be at least one weekend during the summer in which to try out primetime golf. It would have to be somewhere on the West Coast (or Hawaii) - generally those tournaments are dwarfed by either NFL playoff games or NCAA Tournament games.

And no, match play between Tiger and Phil doesn't count.

waggy
06-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Should have said breezy.. 10 mph wind, gusting to 20 should be good enough to harden the greens.

waggy
06-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Tiger with a mean ass putter right now.

waggy
06-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Tiger follows up a great birdie putt on 17, with a fantastic 3 wood to reach the 18th in two. Eagle putt coming up.

Michelson a mess right now. Watched him yesterday and was sure he was the man to beat.

X-band '01
06-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Phil gets a much-needed birdie on 16 to get to +1, which still puts him within 6 strokes of the lead.

Tiger was incredible on the back 9 - I don't think anybody else has broken par on the back 9. Woods, on the other hand, shot a 30 and a 66 overall today to get up to -1 through 3 rounds. His approach on 18 was great considering the tree in front of him.

X-band '01
06-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Normally it's never a good sign for a golfer whenever we hear the USGA rules about whatever lie or cabbage a player has to hit from. Nevertheless, Mickelson gets a good chip out of the gallery for a 5-6 footer for par on 17.

waggy
06-20-2010, 04:43 PM
OMG. Triple bogey on 2 by leader. Er, co-leader.

X-band '01
06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
OMG. Triple bogey on 2 by leader. Er, co-leader., fast fading, out of the red.

You're better off just posting every 5 minutes for Johnson. This is one incredible meltdown.

Now that Havret is a stroke behind, will Jean Van de Velde finally get to rest?

waggy
06-20-2010, 08:34 PM
McDowell is a likable guy. Happy for him.

Over the last two rounds Ernie Els had 8 or 9 putts that just missed. He's got to be sick.

LutherRackleyRulez
06-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Is Johnny Miller the most negative color commentator ever???

The dude just hammers on the players without mercy!

Does he even have the right to be so dour....

I would never consider him in the list of Top 10 all time golfers.

Masterofreality
06-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow, so the pros had to putt on greens with a lot of Poa in them. Welcome to the green conditions on 98% of the public golf courses in America-apart from those with bermuda surfaces- and many clubs.

You can cut, double cut and roll poa, but as it grows during the course of the day, it gets bumpy. Putts will be missed. Add that to the severe set up that the USGA had for Pebble and you get exactly what the USGA wanted- a par score for the Champion.

McDowell earned it. He was the calmest guy out there and just took what he could from the golf course. Good for him. Tiger, however, is becoming more mortal with every tournament. He is not feared anymore, which takes away much of his advantage. His swing is all over the place as well.

The US Open is unlike any other tournament. One example is the fact that Ben Curtis shot the low round of the day- a 68. When he finished his round at +7 for the Championship his position was T27. At the completion he had moved up to T14, just by sitting in the clubhouse.

Nothing like making an extra $100k while you're taking your post round steam and shower.

XUglow
06-21-2010, 09:20 AM
The AT&T is played on 3 courses. The last round is played at Pebble Beach. I am surprised that the media didn't note that Dustin Johnson struggled mightily at Pebble on Sunday this year. He barely managed to hang on and win. He carded a final round 74 when the course was playing way easier than it was for the US Open. Johnson blowing up on Sunday was really not that much of a surprise.

I bet there are a lot of people that had trouble sleeping last night. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...