PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Preview

Pages : [1] 2

Pluto
06-07-2010, 10:58 PM
The greatest sporting event (besides Xavier basketball) in the world kicks off in a few short days. In honor of that I will give a breakdown of the US team and my handicap for the rest of the group stage.

USA -

Defense: Question marks across the back line with injuries/form coming into question for multiple players. Gooch is not fully recovered from his injury and from what I have seen in the friendlies he should not be starting. The best option in the center looks to be DeMerit/Goodson with Bocanegra and Cherundolo on the wings. Spector's form has been awful which makes him questionable to start and Bornstein plain scares me every time he is on the pitch. There is no question who will mind the net. Howard is probably one of the top 5-10 keepers in the world and should be able to bail out the defense with some spectacular saves.

Midfield: The midfield is by far the strongest part of the team. Three of the four positions have been locked up for years with Donovan, Bradley and Dempsey. The fourth position is where the debate begins. My preference would be for Torres because of his ability to calm the team down when he is out there and ability to see the field but Bradley(coach) is more defensive minded and will probably go with Clark based on what we have seen in the friendlies. Holden and Beasley can come in to provide a spark on the wings late with their ability to run at defenders. Feilhaber/Torres can come in to help with possession. Edu is solid option to help defend late in games.

Attack: The friendly with Australia should have answered any questions about who will be the starting forwards. Buddle took his chances well and Findley did not. I believe that a Altidore/Buddle front line will give the US their best chance in the attack. Gomez coming off the bench as a super sub and Findley's ability to use his speed to harass defenders and keep teams honest give Bradley good (but inexperienced) options up front.

Bradley teams take pride in their defense which is the weakest part of this team. The whole team will need to defend. The US should make it out of the group but expect a strong challenge from Slovenia.

Group A: I see an upset brewing here...expect Mexico/Uruguay to advance over France. There has been too much turmoil on the French side, you can't have a coach waiting in the wings and expect everything to be ok.

Group B: I think the African teams will get a boost from playing on their home continent. There is a large population of Nigerians living in South Africa which will help them advance with Argentina to round 2.

Group C: Being that I am Slovenian I would love for US/Slovenia to be the teams to come out of this group but that is just not happening. Expect England to come out and a real battle between US/Slovenia for the 2nd spot. Algeria is a scary game for all teams involved as they either score a bunch of goals or give up a bunch. Expect them to play spoiler to whoever misses out on advancing.

Group D: Injuries have taken a toll on two of the teams in this group with Germany and Ghana both losing key players. Expect Germany to overcome their loss and Ghana to struggle. Serbia has been strong and in many experts eyes a sleeper team. Serbia/Germany advance.

Group E: The Dutch have one of the most potent attacking units in the WC and it will be in full display. Cameroon gets the nod as the second team.

Group F: Italy should easily advance in this group. Second place might come down to goal differential between Paraguay/Slovakia. Slovakia's open style of play should allow them to advance.

Group G: The Group of Death...If you would have asked me a week ago who was coming out my answer would have been easier. Now with Drogba's injury it muddles the water some. Brazil should make it out of the group barring any major injuries. Portugal hasn't shown me enough for me to think that they will rise to the occasion and taking the encouraging news about Drogba possibly coming back Ivory Coast will be that second team.

Group H: This group should be pretty straightforward with Spain/Chile advancing without much of a threat from Honduras/Switzerland.

MuskieMark
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM
The center spots in our back line scare me..Gooch is clearly not healthy and Demerit hasn't gotten back in form since his eye injury. Goodsen is playing the best right now, but that isn't saying much. I would love to see donovan move up top with holden getting the nod outside, but that will definitely not happen with the other forwards stepping up.

GuyFawkes38
06-07-2010, 11:34 PM
wow, I can't believe I'm so pumped. Thanks for the analysis.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Great analysis Pluto. My predictions are almost identical.

I think the US will lose to England,
beat Algeria,
and tie Slovenia
But we advance to face Germany

Group A - 1) Uruguay
2) Mexico

Group B - 1) Argentina
2) South Korea

Group C - 1) England
2) US

Group D - 1) Germany
2) Serbia

Group E - 1) Netherlands
2) Cameroon

Group F - 1) Italy
2) Paraguay

Group G - 1) Brazil
2) Portugal

Group H - 1) Spain
2) Chile

Round of 16 #1 - Uruguay vs South Korea - Uruguay
Round of 16 #2 - England vs Serbia - England
Round of 16 #3 - Netherlands vs Paraguay - Netherlands
Round of 16 #4 - Brazil vs Chile - Brazil
Round of 16 #5 - Mexico vs Argentina - Argentina
Round of 16 #6 - US vs Germany - Germany
Round of 16 #7 - Italy vs Cameroon - Italy
Round of 16 #8 - Spain vs Portugal - Spain

Quarterfinal #1 - England vs Uruguay - England
Quarterfinal #2 - Netherlands vs Brazil - Brazil
Quarterfinal #3 - Argentina vs Germany - Argentina
Quarterfinal #4 - Italy vs Spain - Spain

Semifinal #1 - England vs Brazil - Brazil
Semifinal #2 - Argentina vs Spain - Spain

Spain as the champs

I am loving this buildup to the World Cup.

Potential sleeper picks I keep hearing about:

1) Ivory Coast (although they took a serious blow with the injury and up in the air status to Drogba)
2) Serbia
3) Chile
4) Paraguay
5) Nigeria

XerXes
06-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I am so pumped for the World Cup its not even funny. I'm planning my Saturday around the US England game.

The one team I'm looking forward to watching is Portugal. That team is scary good but young. Their youth might be their downfall but at the same time wouldn't surprise me if the beat out Brazil for the number one spot. Drogba most likely won't be back fast enough to help Ivory Coast in the group stage and they are going to need him.

England is down a starting defender who is also their captain and I think the US has a shot to take them down but the defense does have some holes in it. Howard and Bocanegra will just have to do all the work.

It's amazing how much soccer has grown in the US in the last decade or so. I've watched the last three World Cups and until 2006 I felt like I was the only one I knew now it seems like everyone I know will be watching.

Lets get this started I'm tired of waiting!!

Emp
06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
The loss of Drogba is HUGE. I watched more than a bit of Premier League this year, and that guy is scary strong and has the finishing touch. Huge blow, and screws up my bracket!!

Pluto
06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Portugal has been really up and down throughout qualifying and in their friendlies leading up. Losing Nani is a big blow to that team as well. Portugal has a history of playing below expectations (2002) and I don't see that changing. The Ivory Coast is not just Drogba. Kalou and the Toure brothers are all high quality players that will be highly motivated playing in Africa and that should be the difference in advancing. Once the round robin is done I will come back with another round of picks.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Germany is a team to watch too - especially if the US does get by group play(finishing 2nd) they would be our opponent most likely. Yes they are missing Ballack and have their third string keeper, but they still have Klose, Podolski, Schweinsteiger and others. Also that 20 year old phenom Thomas Muller. They can seemingly score at will, but they are young...

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2010, 03:14 PM
The loss of Drogba is HUGE. I watched more than a bit of Premier League this year, and that guy is scary strong and has the finishing touch. Huge blow, and screws up my bracket!!

Talk about Sh&t luck for him! I'd be fuming at that Japanese player if I were him. Literally 1 week before the biggest event on earth.

Blueblob4life
06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
All I'm saying is that England is beat up, still recovering from injuries (i.e. Rooney) and the U.S. is looking healthy. Regardless, we'll make it out of group play but will probably lose to Germany in the next round.
Realistically, I've got either Spain or Brazil winning it all, but I haven't decided who I think has a better shot. Oh, and let's be honest, Lionel Messi can't carry Argentina all the way, but he can carry them further than Ronaldo can carry Portugal.

Don't Tread On Me.

TaipeiMuskie
06-08-2010, 03:41 PM
...and Portugal lost Nani today. Spain is playing Poland right now...still no Fernando Torres as the 1st half comes to an end.

Pluto
06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Germany is a team to watch too - especially if the US does get by group play(finishing 2nd) they would be our opponent most likely. Yes they are missing Ballack and have their third string keeper, but they still have Klose, Podolski, Schweinsteiger and others. Also that 20 year old phenom Thomas Muller. They can seemingly score at will, but they are young...

There have been big question marks around Podolski and Klose as neither have been in top form (Podolski) or have been benched by their club team (Klose) most of the season. Muller is an amazing talent but there are doubts as to how much time he will play. The Germans I know want him starting from their first match but few see that actually happening.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
All I'm saying is that England is beat up, still recovering from injuries (i.e. Rooney) and the U.S. is looking healthy. Regardless, we'll make it out of group play but will probably lose to Germany in the next round.
Realistically, I've got either Spain or Brazil winning it all, but I haven't decided who I think has a better shot. Oh, and let's be honest, Lionel Messi can't carry Argentina all the way, but he can carry them further than Ronaldo can carry Portugal.

Don't Tread On Me.

I think Argentina has a legit chance to win it all. Messi, Tevez, Milito, Veron, Mascherano, Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, Maxi Rodriguez. Absolutely stacked with goal scorers and talent

After Messi, how in the world do you project who will start in midfield/up top? I guess you go with Milito, di Maria, Mascherano, and Veron. But Tevez and Rodriguez and the others could easily start.

To beat Argentina, I think you will have to outscore them.

Maybe they don't mesh like in the qualifying stage (although lets be honest - South American qualifying is absolutely brutal with competition).

I think Argentina will have it together during World Cup play.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
There have been big question marks around Podolski and Klose as neither have been in top form (Podolski) or have been benched by their club team (Klose) most of the season. Muller is an amazing talent but there are doubts as to how much time he will play. The Germans I know want him starting from their first match but few see that actually happening.

Good points. From what I've read, Muller will start in place of Klose for the first game. Podolski always seems to have some sort of nagging injury but I think he will be focused and ready to go like the last world cup.

MuskieMark
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
I would love to be playing Germany in the second round. No Ballack and none of their forwards are in top form. They struggled throughout qualifying too. As for Argentina, I don't care who they put on the field, until they get a competent coach, they won't be going much past the group stages.

muskienick
06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I think Argentina has a legit chance to win it all. Messi, Tevez, Milito, Veron, Mascherano, Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, Maxi Rodriguez. Absolutely stacked with goal scorers and talent

After Messi, how in the world do you project who will start in midfield/up top? I guess you go with Milito, di Maria, Mascherano, and Veron. But Tevez and Rodriguez and the others could easily start.

Maybe they don't mesh like in the qualifying stage (although lets be honest - South American qualifying is absolutely brutal with competition).

If this were a baseball thread, I would have bet that this (larger and in red) would have been a Tim McCarver quote!

XULucho27
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM

This. Everybody raves about Messi, but they'll soon find out that Dí María and Milito can also wreak havoc all on their own. I'm excited about the team but I'm always worried about our D. It always seems to falter in big moments.

As for the lineup you have to pair Milito and Messi up top with Dí María, Verón, Mascherano and Maxi Rodríguez in mid-field (even though I think Maradona should have called up Cambiasso to play mid). That frees up Demichelis to play D with whomever our coke-head manager decides to put out there. Also, if they play a 3-4-3 you can add Tévez to the mix up top, which is just a nasty combination but really puts the Forwards at a height disadvantage.

There is an abundance of talent on this squad. However,The Defense HAS to show up for the "Albiceleste" to have a shot!

GuyFawkes38
06-08-2010, 09:52 PM
The geeky magazine The New Republic has a fun blog on the World Cup:

http://www.tnr.com/blogs/world-cup

DC Muskie
06-09-2010, 12:11 PM
They struggled throughout qualifying too.

If you mean by "struggle" not losing a match and having a 21 goal differential, then yes, Germany "struggled" throughout qualifying.

As for Argentina, I don't care who they put on the field, until they get a competent coach, they won't be going much past the group stages.

I tend to agree with this. If anyone struggled to qualify, it was Argentina. Maradona is simply crazy and he doesn't use Messi as I think he should. Plus, while Argentina's defense is not top form for sure, having Veron man your middle is not that great of plan.

I really hope Argentina does well. I simply love the way they play, and really enjoy watching Messi.

Pluto
06-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm a big fan of the Dutch. I really think they can go far in this tournament. The big test will be Brazil but damn that lineup looks solid. Last check they were around 14-1 odds...not bad. Van Persie, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Kuyt, Robben(if he makes it back) I know I'm missing some but that is some impressive attacking firepower. Plus they play a style that is fun to watch.

DC Muskie
06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Same here Pluto. I was fortunate enough to be in Amsterdam during the 2006 Cup and had a blast with the Dutch. I would really like to see them go far this year.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm a big fan of the Dutch. I really think they can go far in this tournament. The big test will be Brazil but damn that lineup looks solid. Last check they were around 14-1 odds...not bad. Van Persie, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Kuyt, Robben(if he makes it back) I know I'm missing some but that is some impressive attacking firepower. Plus they play a style that is fun to watch.

Good news for the Dutch. Robben's hamstring injury is less severe than they previously thought. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/793263/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

Sneijder is one of my favorite players to watch. It will be weird watching a Dutch game without Van Der Sar as goalkeeper.

Same here Pluto. I was fortunate enough to be in Amsterdam during the 2006 Cup and had a blast with the Dutch. I would really like to see them go far this year.

Oh ya. You must have some crazy stories partying it up with the Dutch in Amsterdam during the World Cup. They must have been going nuts during that round of 16 game against Portugal where there was like 1 million red cards.

DC Muskie
06-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Oh ya. You must have some crazy stories partying it up with the Dutch in Amsterdam during the World Cup. They must have been going nuts during that round of 16 game against Portugal where there was like 1 million red cards.

They were not happy. But they are such nice people that they just decided collectively to get loaded.

Well, I have some good stories, not too crazy, but mostly it revolves around smoking a shit load of pot. I mean a super size shit load of pot.

golfitup
06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
I really think Spain will win. They are just ridiculously talented at every single position on the field. I mean, they might bring Cesc off the bench for crying out loud.

X-band '01
06-10-2010, 08:55 AM
ESPN - Referees learning English swear words (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5270852/ce/us/referees-learning-english-swear-words?cc=5901&ver=us)

In short, with Brazilian referees to monitor the US-English match on Saturday, the refs are supposedly being taught a list of English swear words so that they will be able to tell if and when the players are trying to verbally abuse and taunt each other on the pitch.

What did they do, treat the refs to a special screening of Dogma and other Kevin Smith movies?

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Is there something going on tomorrow? I heard there is some big worldwide event that's held every 4 years, but I cannot recall...

Emp
06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Is there something going on tomorrow? I heard there is some big worldwide event that's held every 4 years, but I cannot recall...

Jimmy, you half wit! Everyone knows that the Edinburgh Quadrennial Border Collie Three Field Championships are starting this weekend. Come out from under your cultural rock.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Jimmy, you half wit! Everyone knows that the Edinburgh Quadrennial Border Collie Three Field Championships are starting this weekend. Come out from under your cultural rock.

Ah I knew that was it! Doh!

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Apparently Kim Jong-Il has banned world cup coverage in North Korea...Unless the North Koreans win
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6649440/Kim-Jong-il-bans-World-Cup-coverage-unless-North-Korea-win.html

"Games between other nations will be banned from the airwaves, while any highlights of North Korea's matches will be heavily edited to ensure that they look like the better team.
All advertising in the stadiums will also be blurred out – along with opposition fans, The Sun newspaper reported."

Also it should be noted no North Koreans are permitted to make the trip to South Africa. But a crew of Chinese fans calling themselves the “fans volunteer army” have stepped in to support the North Koreans and have been given tickets from the North Korean government.

Honestly I am trying to find previews of this team and it seems like nobody knows absolutely anything about them

Emp
06-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Hey, I love it that there are some in-depth football junkies in the room.

My aha! football moments occurred in the mid-70s, when I was a student in London and kept running into "QPR Rules" graffiti. What the hell was QPR? Attending the Chelsea-Queens Park Rangers match solved that mystery. This was well before Chelsea became CHELSEA writ large, it was just a fierce derby between adjoining neighborhood clubs. But the presence of mounted patrol at a sporting event was an eyeopener, as were the open, unsegregated, standing only terraces. The mass singing of anthems and spirited songs by men was another pleasing revelation (my only previous exposure being the famed Elder cheering section.)

Then the Tartan Army descended on London for the Scotland-England match. Oohhh they were unruly and fiercely drunk and grand singers, and I understood how it was a game of passion for so many people. Club and national team loyalties in Britain and Scotland give the Muskie Nation, as good as it is, something to aspire to.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
The Emperor has no Clothes will like this.

Drogba has returned to the Ivory Coast squad and may play the opener!
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5273675/ce/us/drogba-back-training-boost-ivory-coast?cc=5901&ver=us

MuskieMark
06-10-2010, 09:22 PM
with kalou, the toure's, and eboue, the ivory coast should make it out of the group stages with or without drogba

XU05and07
06-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Sad news about Mandela's great grandchild (killed in a car accident)...Nelson will not be at the opening of tournament

Story (http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06/11/south.africa.mandela.grandchild/index.html?hpt=T3)

On a lighter note...the tournament starts in an hour and a half

GoMuskies
06-11-2010, 09:02 AM
atdhe.net if you're stuck at work but have Internet access.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-11-2010, 09:09 AM
atdhe.net if you're stuck at work but have Internet access.

or firstrow.net

Emp
06-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Geeze, I would rather hear 50,000 pairs of maracas than that droning sound.
Which is I am sure my parents reaction to feedback-driven high amped guitar in another age. Hope I die before I get old.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-11-2010, 10:22 AM
South Africa will not be denied!

GuyFawkes38
06-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow, they didn't ban the damn horns.

In all seriousness, this will hurt ratings and damage the sport. It's ridiculous.

Emp
06-11-2010, 10:34 AM
wow, why was that not a penalty shot for SA? Fouled from behind on a breakaway in the box??

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Solid second half. Tons of chances. Mexico has equalized

golfitup
06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I have the same feeling I get the day before Xavier plays in the tournament. Nervous and no room for rational thought.

UD Sucks
06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Heres a great Dodge commercial that will air during the match (USA v England):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St2FCxtlV7w

GuyFawkes38
06-11-2010, 05:44 PM
The big story day 1 of the World cup: the damn horns.

Are the horn blowers unionized? Everyone hates that sound. It would be nice to actually hear the crowd cheering. Why can't the organizers ban them?

golfitup
06-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Are the horn blowers unionized? Everyone hates that sound. It would be nice to actually hear the crowd cheering. Why can't the organizers ban them?

The vuvuzelas are a big part of the South African soccer culture. They do suck but I think it'd be bad if FIFA banned them. We're just gonna have to put up with em for a month.

GuyFawkes38
06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
The vuvuzelas are a big part of the South African soccer culture. They do suck but I think it'd be bad if FIFA banned them. We're just gonna have to put up with em for a month.

How about a compromise. Allow them for the S. Africa games but ban them for the other matches.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-11-2010, 06:26 PM

It could be worse. It could be a over 94,000 people doing this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVlTeIATBs

golfitup
06-11-2010, 08:44 PM
How about a compromise. Allow them for the S. Africa games but ban them for the other matches.

I'd certainly be down with that.

LutherRackleyRulez
06-12-2010, 06:27 AM
YANKS

v.

WANKS!!!!

GO USA!!!!!

rooney is a bloody wanker!!!!

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Argentina is absolutely nasty offensively.

Messi is running wild, and what a header by Heinze from Veron!

GuyFawkes38
06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I follow a diverse group of acclaimed sports and news reporters on twitter.

Not much talk about the actual US/England game. But there has been lots of talk about the damn horns.

I guess most people around the world love soccer so much that they don't care. But here in the USA, with a large casual soccer fan following, I really do think the horns will hurt tv ratings/world cup interest.

Edit: Chris Mack just twittered on the horn controversy:

CoachChrisMack

Those horns in the background of the World Cup are incredibly annoying. ABC needs to hit the mute button.

rhyno2110
06-12-2010, 09:21 PM
To bad nobody gives a flyin' f*** about soccer in this country, me being at the top of the list.

Soccer is for douches.

SixFig
06-12-2010, 09:38 PM
To bad nobody gives a flyin' f*** about soccer in this country, me being at the top of the list.

Soccer is for douches.

I wouldn't agree it is for douches. However it is overrated as all heck. If the E(xtreme) S(elf) P(romoting) N(etwork) wasn't pimping it 24/7 there wouldn't be half the interest. I would get into the reasons soccer isn't worthy but that could be a different thread entirely.

I wanted to punch the douches at Yankee Stadium today who were watching soccer inside Jim Beam Suite. I know the Yankees game was a blowout but still you paid good money to watch baseball...jeez.

SixFig
06-12-2010, 09:44 PM
rooney is a bloody wanker!!!!

[/b]

This post suports Ryhno's statement. This sport is turning red blooded Americans into sissy European with their half-ass insults. Insult him in American!!! Have you no pride in our curses?

I am only half kidding.

X-band '01
06-12-2010, 10:49 PM
To me soccer doesn't interest me for the most part, but the World Cup is still awfully compelling in terms of bringing the best teams in the world together. The World Baseball Classic, although in its infancy, just doesn't have the history or popularity that soccer's World Cup has.

Emp
06-14-2010, 10:59 AM
England has several chances to win the full 3 points that were stopped by the one great player we have. He took a brutal shot to the chest and ribs and still delivered.

Given that we still don't get comfortable goal scoring chances in the open field and no one seems to be able to deliver on set pieces from Donovan, the only way we stay in contention is with good defense and goaltending.

We get Slovenia next, smelling a chance to advance, while England get the depleted Algeria. The third game against Algeria is at the same time as the England-Slovenia match, so we can't be playing goal-differential roulette and watching the scoreboard in that one.
Since we are very unlikely to score in batches (and thereby win the goal differential battle) It looks to me like we MUST beat Slovenia, who will be packing it in and more than willing to settle for a draw.

So: low scoring US offense has to gamble more to get the win, putting more pressure on the back line.......If you are Bradley and Howard is clearly hampered but says he wants to play, what do you do?

GoMuskies
06-14-2010, 11:02 AM
To me soccer doesn't interest me for the most part, but the World Cup is still awfully compelling in terms of bringing the best teams in the world together.

I find the World Cup itself fascinating....I just can't stand to watch the actual action. I even tried betting on it to make it interesting. Still didn't work. Maybe I just didn't bet enough.

DC Muskie
06-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Soccer is for douches.

However it is overrated as all heck. If the E(xtreme) S(elf) P(romoting) N(etwork) wasn't pimping it 24/7 there wouldn't be half the interest. I would get into the reasons soccer isn't worthy but that could be a different thread entirely.

I wanted to punch the douches at Yankee Stadium today who were watching soccer inside Jim Beam Suite. I know the Yankees game was a blowout but still you paid good money to watch baseball...jeez.

This post suports Ryhno's statement. This sport is turning red blooded Americans into sissy European with their half-ass insults. Insult him in American!!! Have you no pride in our curses?

To me soccer doesn't interest me for the most part, but the World Cup is still awfully compelling in terms of bringing the best teams in the world together. The World Baseball Classic, although in its infancy, just doesn't have the history or popularity that soccer's World Cup has.

I find the World Cup itself fascinating....I just can't stand to watch the actual action. I even tried betting on it to make it interesting. Still didn't work. Maybe I just didn't bet enough.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank these fine people for chiming in about how much they dislike soccer. As always, your responses will be noted and pretty much ignored. Not to worry though, Elder two a days will be around the corner although the Band Man will have to wait until 2013 to watch another World Baseball Classic.

Now back to the important stuff...

Australia is simply awful. The Germans put on a clinic and this German team is not that good. But you have to like seeing Poladski and Klose putting it in the back of the net.

And Greece? They might have a chance...against Australia. Their defense was just wishful thinking.

Oh, and what's worse about the horns, ( I don't really pay attention to them anyway) is Alexi Lalas. He is terrible. Overall, ESPN has done a tremendous job covering this tournament.

GoMuskies
06-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank these fine people for chiming in about how much they dislike soccer. As always, your responses will be noted and pretty much ignored.

I understand that Art Modell loves soccer. Loves it. He and Bob Huggins get together and watch it, I believe.

XULucho27
06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Paragüay looking to shock the Italians! Italy looks slow and unimaginative, but a lot of that has to do with they way Paragüay plays (strong defense). Should be a great second half, I'm rooting for the upset!

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank these fine people for chiming in about how much they dislike soccer. As always, your responses will be noted and pretty much ignored. Not to worry though, Elder two a days will be around the corner although the Band Man will have to wait until 2013 to watch another World Baseball Classic.

Now back to the important stuff...

Australia is simply awful. The Germans put on a clinic and this German team is not that good. But you have to like seeing Poladski and Klose putting it in the back of the net.

And Greece? They might have a chance...against Australia. Their defense was just wishful thinking.

Oh, and what's worse about the horns, ( I don't really pay attention to them anyway) is Alexi Lalas. He is terrible. Overall, ESPN has done a tremendous job covering this tournament.

I think a lot of people were underestimating Germany because of their overall youth and inexperience. Germany is for real. Also, Germany hasn't lost a group game in the WC since like the 80's.

I agree Australia is not a great team by any means, but I do think they are better than they looked. A lot of their "horrendousness" was due to the fact Germany was vastly superior yesterday

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Paragüay looking to shock the Italians! Italy looks slow and unimaginative, but a lot of that has to do with they way Paragüay plays (strong defense). Should be a great second half, I'm rooting for the upset!

Paraguay is no slouch. During qualification, they were 1-1 vs Brazil (won 2-0 and lost 2-1) and 1-0-1 vs Argentina. They have a great gameplan for this game vs Italy. They realize they cannot control or possess the ball for any extended length vs the Italians, so they are sitting back and waiting for the right moment to counter attack

XULucho27
06-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Yea, I saw them in qualifying against Argentina, they really know how to frustrate offensive teams and play amazing defense. I still thought Italy would find a way to crack that wall. No luck so far.

Edit: And there is that great counter-attack giving them a great opportunity.

MuskieMark
06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm no Italian fan, I think they are too old and lacking that spark they had in the last cup, but they will make a run. They looked like they really missed Pirlo today and will play a lot better when he returns for the next match or the third, depending on how his calf heals.

XUglow
06-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Denmark loves legos. Here is proof.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/The-goals-from-England-vs-the-U-S-recreated-wi?urn=sow,248528

Watch the video. I thought it was hilarious.

golfitup
06-15-2010, 07:05 PM
I do enjoy the soccer haters. If you're trying to get me to feel bad for loving the most popular sport in the world, then you've come to the wrong place.

How weird was it watching North Korea play? It was almost like watching a bunch of aliens. But I thought they made a good account of themselves. The guy who scored for them will always have the memory of scoring against Brazil in a World Cup even if no one in his country got to see it. Kinda sad really.

Really looking forward to watching Spain tomorrow. For me, the best team in world and the clear favorites with Brazil nipping at their heals. Can't wait for Friday. USA! USA! USA! USA!

Emp
06-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't think it was a fluke at all. I did not see most of the first half, but the Suisse made many more good chances in the second half than Spain, played better defense.

After one game all groups, who do you like now?

Snipe
06-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Today's games were boring.

I love soccer. I even call it soccer. I don't think Americans should call it football. They should call it soccer. That is what it is. And it isn't a pitch, it is a field. That is what we call it. And no "result" is ever refered to as a result let alone a nil-1 result. Somebody won that game one to nothing, not nil-one result. We don't say that.

The English invented the game. If they want to call it a pitch or talk about a result let them do it but they can do it on their own time. With the accent they can pull it off, I don't mind them doing some broadcasting. Americans just sound stupid when the use the same vernacular and it should stop.

I wouldn't mind making soccer a better sport either. These World Cup games have sucked when I am watching, even our tie. I was glad though.

We should make the goals larger in the Amercian professional soccer league. Maybe make a rule that you have at least one player on both sides of the field at all times. Keep people from packing everything in and always allow a chance of an outlet when the defense wins the ball. Maybe you could get rid of offsides in the last 5 minutes of each half. Might be interesting to see what happens.

They call it the beautiful game, but you could watch 186 minutes of it today and see a total of two goals. That is less than 1 every hour and a half of play. That was boring to watch. I wanted to watch two 3-2 contests and see 10 goals instead of just 2.

If we are going to take over this game we are going to have to change the rules to make it more exciting.

Emp
06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
More is always better if scoring is what turns your wheels. You should consider watching Test Cricket, Snipe.........hundreds of runs for each side.

GuyFawkes38
06-16-2010, 03:08 PM
More is always better if scoring is what turns your wheels. You should consider watching Test Cricket, Snipe.........hundreds of runs for each side.

Even NFL fans who praise lower scoring games don't have 7-0 scores in mind.

It's hard to imagine that soccer fans really love this 1-0 or 0-0 type crap.

DC Muskie
06-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Raise your hand if you ever get tired of hearing people bitch about a lack of scoring. Count me as one of them.

Look, scoring is down in this World Cup, I understand, but scoring shouldn't be as easy as you want, simply because that's the only way to excite you.

I really enjoy reading and hearing Americans talk about how much the game would improve, if this would happen, or that would change. No game is perfect, but in this country an extremely popular sport is watching cars turn left for three hours. I think I'll pass on how Americans think a sport should be played.

I find golf boring. I find bowling really boring. I find an NFL game where we review every other play boring. I find baseball boring.

Nobody ever goes out of their way to say things like, "It would be great if they made the cup bigger in golf so there would be even better scores. Or " Pitchers should never be allowed to throw a ball faster than 90 miles per hour so there are more home runs."

It's just ridiculous.

But soccer, please chime in with how off sides should be eliminated because I could watch a score of 3 goals instead of one.

MLS used to do some crazy things, like having a shootout so there wouldn't be any ties. It was a complete joke. They finally got smart and stop trying to sell to the NASCAR crowd and went back to how soccer is played...not just in Europe, but all over the world.

So, enjoy it, don't enjoy it, whatever.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-16-2010, 04:46 PM
I think teams are generally more cautious during these first set of games. Getting used to the pitch, the conditions, the speed of play, etc. The stat I heard today was something like 8% of teams that lose the first game advance to the next round. I think as the teams get more comfortable and settle down, the scoring will come. Regardless, there has been a lot of strategy in the first set of games and the competition has been relatively even. That's part of the reason I love it. On any given night there could be a huge upset. Spain hadn't lost to a European team in something like 36 straight matches, and go figure they lose today to a team in Switzerland that didn't score the entire last World Cup.

All these teams are in this tourney for a reason. There are no gimme's. Spain found that out the hard way today and Brazil nearly did yesterday.

MuskieMark
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
If you want to watch soccer with ten goals a game, go watch some u10 matches. If you want to watch world class soccer, keep watching the world cup. It just doesn't go both ways.

Snipe
06-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Getting used to the pitch, the conditions, the speed of play, etc.

And they have to get acclimated to the field conditions too.

D-West & PO-Z
06-16-2010, 05:23 PM

I love soccer. I even call it soccer. I don't think Americans should call it football. They should call it soccer. That is what it is. And it isn't a pitch, it is a field. That is what we call it. And no "result" is ever refered to as a result let alone a nil-1 result. Somebody won that game one to nothing, not nil-one result. We don't say that.

The English invented the game. If they want to call it a pitch or talk about a result let them do it but they can do it on their own time. With the accent they can pull it off, I don't mind them doing some broadcasting. Americans just sound stupid when the use the same vernacular and it should stop.

I wouldn't mind making soccer a better sport either. These World Cup games have sucked when I am watching, even our tie. I was glad though.

We should make the goals larger in the Amercian professional soccer league. Maybe make a rule that you have at least one player on both sides of the field at all times. Keep people from packing everything in and always allow a chance of an outlet when the defense wins the ball. Maybe you could get rid of offsides in the last 5 minutes of each half. Might be interesting to see what happens.

They call it the beautiful game, but you could watch 186 minutes of it today and see a total of two goals. That is less than 1 every hour and a half of play. That was boring to watch. I wanted to watch two 3-2 contests and see 10 goals instead of just 2.

If we are going to take over this game we are going to have to change the rules to make it more exciting.

Haha I totally agree.

ThrowDownDBrown
06-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Literally one of the dumbest posts Ive ever seen on here

GuyFawkes38
06-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Literally one of the dumbest posts Ive ever seen on here

god, soccer fans are very defensive of their sport.

GoMuskies
06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Nobody ever goes out of their way to say things like, "It would be great if they made the cup bigger in golf so there would be even better scores. Or " Pitchers should never be allowed to throw a ball faster than 90 miles per hour so there are more home runs."

Really? Seems like there's always discussion of golf equipment and whether some of the new technology should be outlawed on the Tour. And the "Tiger-proofing" of certain courses. And the NFL is tweaking their overtime rules. And there has been some discussion of lowering the mound in baseball this year given the pitchers' domination. College football tweaks one rule or another every year. In college basketball, the shot clock and three-point shot completely changed what was already a great game.

But, you're right. It's only soccer that people want to change.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Argentina is going to do some damage in this world cup. They can really turn it on offensively. 4-1 over South Korea now.

They'll play the runner's up in Group A so probably Uruguay or France - both of which beatable (although they could have some problems with France).

DART87
06-17-2010, 08:43 AM
My biggest problem with soccer is the flopping that goes on. We are told how physical the game is and how fit the players are then they come off looking like a bunch of little girls on the biggest stage of thier lives.

http://slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2010/06/15/the-dive-of-the-day.aspx

It's worse than watching Duke basketball.

Kahns Krazy
06-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Today's Greece Nigeria matchup features two teams that have scored a combined 3 goals in their last 11 games. You can have the edge of my seat. I won't be using it.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-17-2010, 09:33 AM
My biggest problem with soccer is the flopping that goes on. We are told how physical the game is and how fit the players are then they come off looking like a bunch of little girls on the biggest stage of thier lives.

http://slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2010/06/15/the-dive-of-the-day.aspx

It's worse than watching Duke basketball.

haha, Ronaldo had some horrific dives the other day (but they worked since the refs called the fouls).

My favorite flop of all time still goes to Gilardino
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W00d3yJKl4

It's always been an effective tactic and some countries use it more than others. Portugal, Spain, Italy, Argentina, Mexico and others have gotten so good at it.

Some countries you will rarely see dive: USA, England, Netherlands, Germany, Nigeria, Ghana, Russia, Switzerland, both Koreas just off the top of my head

By the way, I agree it can be a problem and very annoying, but there's flopping all over basketball by everyone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoc8Ei9xk8g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcFa2oA5IU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEef1T_lqwA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM&feature=related

etc

X-band '01
06-17-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm sorry, but this is the best flop, even if it was a no-call:

Greg Paulus, anyone? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0upQDkY-pg)

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry, but this is the best flop, even if it was a no-call:

Greg Paulus, anyone? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0upQDkY-pg)

haha, reps for that one. I completely forgot about this

Kahns Krazy
06-17-2010, 10:21 AM
The first time I really got into the world cup was '94. I see far less flopping now than I did then.

ImaBeee
06-17-2010, 10:43 AM
This year is the first year im really watching and I think its been pretty captivating.. however im not enjoying all the draws..

GuyFawkes38
06-17-2010, 10:45 AM
The first time I really got into the world cup was '94. I see far less flopping now than I did then.

A bit OT, but I'm excited about the ESPN documentary coming up, "The Two Escobars" on Pablo Escobar and the other Escobar who scored an own goal for Colombia in 1994 and was killed for it.

ImaBeee
06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
A bit OT, but I'm excited about the ESPN documentary coming up, "The Two Escobars" on Pablo Escobar and the other Escobar who scored an own goal for Colombia in 1994 and was killed for it.

Sounds pretty interesting.. wen are they showing it?

Snipe
06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Really? Seems like there's always discussion of golf equipment and whether some of the new technology should be outlawed on the Tour. And the "Tiger-proofing" of certain courses. And the NFL is tweaking their overtime rules. And there has been some discussion of lowering the mound in baseball this year given the pitchers' domination. College football tweaks one rule or another every year. In college basketball, the shot clock and three-point shot completely changed what was already a great game.

But, you're right. It's only soccer that people want to change.

Thank you GoMuskies.

In football the forward pass was at one point "revolutionary". The rules change all the time and people want the game to evolve and become more exciting. Just the stuff they have done in the last few years to protect the quarterback means a lot more scoring in NFL games.

You are correct about college hoops. When you think of the shot clock and the three point line it has completely changed the game. Not only were those changes revolutionary, the continue to tweak those. The original shot clock was 45 seconds I believe, and we just moved the three point line back a bit.

Could the scoring increase in soccer if you changed the rules? Sure. Would that make it more exciting? For me it would. Making the goal one foot higher would increase the goal space by 12.5% Doing that and bumping each post a foot wider and you have a 22% increase in goal space. That would mean a lot of new goals. Every ball that currently hits the post would be a goal. And I wouldn't mind making the posts bigger as well to give more rebounds and keep more balls in play.

Expanding the goals wouldn't change any of the other rules or how the game is played. It would make it tougher on goalies but that would go for everyone. The game wouldn't look much different and it would be played the same. The goals wouldn't look much different either, I am only talking about bumping them 12 inches in each direction. The cumulative effect though would be 22% more goal scoring space and that space would exist at the extremes. I bet scoring would go up by more than 22%.

I love soccer. Why not make it better? I am not talking about imposing our rules on the world either, just change it here in our own professional league. Americans love scoring. We like to keep the game moving and make things exciting. I am sure the purist thinks it is the worst idea ever on this board. I am glad that college hoops has evolved. I think the NFL is better now than in the days of Lumbardi. Why couldn't we do the same to soccer? We could.

GuyFawkes38
06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Sounds pretty interesting.. wen are they showing it?

I think June 22nd.

Snipe
06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
This year is the first year im really watching and I think its been pretty captivating.. however im not enjoying all the draws..

I love the World Cup. I am not a big fan of all the draws either. Yesterday the three losing teams didn't score at all. You could double the scoring and it would be fine with me.

I am looking forward to Mexico vs. France this afternoon. I have some roofers working on one of my properties and I will have to give my amigos some updates on how the home country is doing.

D-West & PO-Z
06-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Dan Patrick was hysterical today on his radio show talking about Americans using the
"soccer lingo" such as pitch and nil.

Snipe
06-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Dan Patrick was hysterical today on his radio show talking about Americans using the
"soccer lingo" such as pitch and nil.

I wish I could have heard that. It does sound stupid when we say that stuff. We don't talk that way. You can be soccer fans without saying all that crap. They can pitch-nil my ballsac.

D-West & PO-Z
06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I wish I could have heard that. It does sound stupid when we say that stuff. We don't talk that way. You can be soccer fans without saying all that crap. They can pitch-nil my ballsac.

Haha.

Then he started to go into when Americans would pronounce the country names differently than they usually would. Like saying Meh-he-co and Ar-hen-tina. He is like umm, I think you are forgetting a few syllables.

Emp
06-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I am with Snipe about enlarging the goal. 0-0 is pretty lame, no matter if it is the World Cup.

Players are so much more skilled, larger and faster. Defenses are better organized and coached. True, the offensive play is more skilled as well, but on balance, international scoring is down.

I like the strategy of the offside trap and the skill and timing required to finesse it, so leave that alone. I would however prohibit playback to the goalie, and have an over-and-back rule at the center line, so teams had to play forward, no endless regrouping.

I have a progressive idea for shootouts: two goalies defending, not one, ten shots each side, have to win by two (as in a tennis game).

Hockey has tweaked its rules to increase scoring, and even the NFL has literally moved the goalposts to cut down on automatic field goals in consideration of the increased skill of kickers.

X-band '01
06-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Hockey has tweaked its rules to increase scoring, and even the NFL has literally moved the goalposts to cut down on automatic field goals in consideration of the increased skill of kickers.

Are you talking about shortening/widening the goalposts or when they got moved from the goalline to the endline? You talk about a)the goalposts being in the endzone and creating the potential for collisions and injuries and b)teams trying to get inside the opponents' 45-yard line instead of the 35-yard line to get into FG range. Imagine the game today if they still had the goalposts hovering around the goalline.

Snipe
06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I am with Snipe about enlarging the goal. 0-0 is pretty lame, no matter if it is the World Cup.

Players are so much more skilled, larger and faster. Defenses are better organized and coached. True, the offensive play is more skilled as well, but on balance, international scoring is down.

I like the strategy of the offside trap and the skill and timing required to finesse it, so leave that alone. I would however prohibit playback to the goalie, and have an over-and-back rule at the center line, so teams had to play forward, no endless regrouping.

I have a progressive idea for shootouts: two goalies defending, not one, ten shots each side, have to win by two (as in a tennis game).

Those are interesting ideas. Over and back would give defenses and incentive to trap at mid-field. Could be more gambling and more attacking. The endless resets and playing the ball back to the keeper aren't what I love about the game. If your rules can waive goodbye to that I say good riddance.

Xman95
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Click here (http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.xavierhoops.com) for your chance to surf XavierHoops while feeling like you're at the World Cup. (Trust me, this is good!)

D-West & PO-Z
06-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Click here (http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.xavierhoops.com) for your chance to surf XavierHoops while feeling like you're at the World Cup. (Trust me, this is good!)

Hysterical!

D-West & PO-Z
06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
By his own family:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5297052/ce/us/south-african-man-killed-wife-kids-changing-tv-germany-australia-game?cc=5901&ver=us

Edit: Guess the title should say killed not dies. Though he did die. Obviously.

drudy23
06-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Sounds about right.

bobbiemcgee
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
They blew vuvuzela's @ the funeral.

Xman95
06-17-2010, 04:24 PM
They blew vuvuzela's @ the funeral.

Here's a photo from the funeral (with audio) (http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/images02.olx.co.za/ui/2/87/06/35698106_7.jpg)

XUfaninJAX
06-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Note to users - don't hit the link while at work - it creates crazy looks! Good stuff!

Xman95
06-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Note to users - don't hit the link while at work - it creates crazy looks! Good stuff!

But it's nothing bad. Not porno or anything like that. So it's safe for work, but you might draw some looks...I think it's worth it!

XUfaninJAX
06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Oh... the possibilities are endless with vuvuzelas!

XUfaninJAX
06-17-2010, 04:37 PM
It was bad... I looked at porn while listening to vuvuzelas... and I drew numerous looks.

XURunner85
06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
I think we need those for the Florida game, WF game, Butler game and of course the ud game.....

bobbiemcgee
06-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Sounds like it should be a female body part. Poor Dear, she got kicked right in the vuvuzela!!!:D

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Here's another one:

Somali Soccer fans Executed and arrested for watching World Cup

http://hiphopwired.com/2010/06/16/somali-soccer-fans-executed-and-arrested-for-watching-world-cup/

"Somali Islamists killed two people and arrested over a dozen others for watching the World Cup on Television. On Sunday and Monday, the militants from the Hizbul Islam group raided houses in the Mogadishu district of Somalia, which resulted in 2 deaths and 35 arrests."

X-band '01
06-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Red card for the Germans - and just like that, Serbia leads 1-0. Upset brewing?

Snipe
06-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Red card for the Germans - and just like that, Serbia leads 1-0. Upset brewing?

Bring on the upsets. Go Serbs. Germany could find themselves in some trouble if they drop this one. I think if we get out of the group stages it would be to our benefit if they were not around.

Snipe
06-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Slovenian women are whores!

In Slovenia, Escorts Hardly Necessary (http://www.syl.com/articles/insloveniaescortshardlynecessary.html)

In Slovenia, escorts are hardly necessary. Slovenian women populate internet matchmaking websites in droves, and you quite frankly wouldn't believe just how many of them are irresistible. They're lovely, friendly and speak excellent English, though Latin might be a nice language to use. Get ready to book a flight to one of the most beautiful countries in Europe. And the scenery's nice, too.

Who said Latin is a dead language? More people probably speak Latin than Slovene, which is the official language of a country of two million people. The capital city is called Ljubljana. I don't know how to go about saying that. If anyone here has ever been there, I will buy you a beer if you prove it on the board today.

I had to wiki Slovenia to find out where it was at. Wiki here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia). They are white people, or a race of white people. Hard to call Greeks and Nordics the same race sometimes, but everyone from Europe is lumped in with white people except the Spanish. They get to choose if they want to be white, hispanic, or both I guess. The majority is Roman Catholic.

The Republic of Slovenia is a country in Central Europe touching the Alps and bordering the Mediterranean. Slovenia borders Italy on the west, the Adriatic Sea on the southwest, Croatia on the south and east, Hungary on the northeast, and Austria on the north. The capital and largest city of Slovenia is Ljubljana.

Sounds like some cool geography.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Triglavska_jezera_2009_09_1.JPG/800px-Triglavska_jezera_2009_09_1.JPG

Slovenia covers an area of 20,273 square kilometres and has a population of 2.06 million. Around 40% of Slovenia's land mass is elevated land - mostly in the form of mountains and plateaus - which is located in the interior regions of the country. The highest point of Slovenia is the 2,864 metre (9,396 ft) high Mount Triglav, the lowest point is the Adriatic Sea at sea level. The majority of the population speaks Slovene which is also the country's official language. Other local official languages are Hungarian and Italian.

Per capita GDP is 28,118. Not a bad life for the Slovenians or whatever they call themselves.

The oldest signs of human settlement in present-day Slovenia were found in the cave Loza pri Orehku in Inner Carniola, where two stone tools approximately 250,000 years old were recovered.

Here is a cave pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/Burger_PostojnskaJama.jpg/800px-Burger_PostojnskaJama.jpg

Got a little bit of history there. Been part of a few empires too.

Here is a castle built into a mountain:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/Predjama_Castle.jpg/399px-Predjama_Castle.jpg

Today the American team is going to climb that mountain and piss all over Slovenia.

I was going to google some hot Slovenian women so I searched for Slovenia sexy women. All I got was the link above that proves Slovenian women are easy. Once we defeat the men we should easily have our way with their women. Even DC Muskie should be able to punch his dance ticket today.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Bring on the upsets. Go Serbs. Germany could find themselves in some trouble if they drop this one. I think if we get out of the group stages it would be to our benefit if they were not around.

It's an unusual scenario for the US and one I did not see happening. Serbia is now in the driver's seat and seeing that they will play Australia next game, they have a great chance of finishing first in the group. Germany vs Ghana is an interesting matchup, but I would imagine Germany will be too much for them.

I still think England will win our group. So if these scenarios play out, that would set up a Germany England matchup in the round of 16 and a US-Serbia (assuming the US qualifies and finishes 2nd in the group) Round of 16 matchup.

BEAT THE SLOVENIANS!!!!

DC Muskie
06-18-2010, 08:50 AM
I like to thank the ref for completely ruining that match.

I'm telling you though, Australia is just flat out awful.

This group is going to come down to how many goals against a terrible Australia team you can score.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Here you go Snipe:

http://slonews.sta.si/img/zl-0052.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slides/photos/000/117/305/RackMultipart.13332.0_display_image.jpg

On a side note, here are the hottest women from each country.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/295506-world-cup-of-hot-chicks-ranking-the-women-from-each-qualifying-country

Snipe
06-18-2010, 08:58 AM
What was up with the Anthem? One of our guys was mumbling something, but it wasn't our Anthem!!!

Moron! Might as well shut your trap if you don't know the words. That was horrible.

Pluto
06-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Tough day in the Pluto household today...I am of Slovenian desent and with family still living over there the smack talk has been in high gear. I really don't know who I want to win. Probably the best scenario would be a US win with Slovenia beating England in their final match so both countries can advance.

Snipe - I have been there multiple times. Ljubljana is pronounced LOO-ble-ah-na. Lake Bled in the north is one of the most beautiful places in the world. There is a church on an island out in the middle of a pristine lake that does not allow powerboats. The lake is surrounded by mountains and is unbelievable. As for history...Hemmingway drove an ambulance in what is now Slovenia but was then part of Italy.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Not an ideal start...again

Snipe
06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Jeebus if we aren't a goal down again right off the bat. Slovenia looks a lot better than we do early on. Dominating the ball. Nice goal.

I owe Pluto a beer.

Lake Bled

http://www.grouptravelorganiser.com/assets/3/8/Lake_Bled_fullsize.jpg

http://www.richardmajor.com/pilgrimage2010/Bled/aerial.jpg

Thanks Pluto. I love what a small world this is.

We need to pull out a tie in this game. What a crock. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost by three.

Snipe
06-18-2010, 09:46 AM
They just got a second goal right before the half. We just had numerous chances to score but they punch it in. 2-0.

I don't see us coming back. Unless we at least score two and tie our world cup is over.

We have played 3 halves of soccer and our only goal was a tragic mistake from the English keeper. Basically scoreless in the cup if not for the gifts of others. That is packing 10 pounds of suck in a five pound bag.

We suck. It is all DC Muskies fault.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
This is it. If the US loses this game, we're out of the tourney barring a miracle upset of England via ALgeria or Slovenia (that will probably be resting players that last game)

The US is getting great opportunities, but were not taking advantage of them. Slovenia is.

EDIT: I apologize Snipe. I basically repeated the exact same thing you just did. I didn't see your post until after I replyed.

golfitup
06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

X-band '01
06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Donovan nailed it that time.

Snipe
06-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Now that is what I am talking about. I can't believe some of you guys gave up on us.

BAM!

USA!

Pluto
06-18-2010, 10:08 AM
By the way...the Slovenian National Anthem is about drinking. Big party there tonight if this score holds. Beer there is ok but they make some great wines that are sometimes passed off as Italian. Many families have their own stils in their backyard and make their own liquor called Slivovka which is a Plum Brandy. Pretty good for moonshine.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Boo ya!

Pluto,
Wasn't Slovenia part of Czeckoslavakia back in the day along with Slovakia? Also, what language do Slovenians speak? Is it Slovenian? Or Italian? Or Czech? Or Hungarian? Or Croatian? Or a mix of everything?

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I can hear the USA chants over the Vuuuuuuuuuuvuuuuuzelos. We must have a lot of people representing!

Cmon guys

Pluto
06-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Boo ya!

Pluto,
Wasn't Slovenia part of Czeckoslavakia back in the day along with Slovakia? Also, what language do Slovenians speak? Is it Slovenian? Or Italian? Or Czech? Or Hungarian? Or Croatian? Or a mix of everything?

Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia and broke away in a very short war. The national language is Slovene(or Slovenian) which is a very difficult language to learn.

X-band '01
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
tie game - 8 min + stoppage time left!

Snipe
06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Woo hoo!

Pluto
06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
I will be very happy if the game ends like this...

Snipe
06-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Let's take this bitch now!

Snipe
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
What horrible officiating took away our third goal. That was not offside.

Snipe
06-18-2010, 10:52 AM
We got robbed but we live to fight another day.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Horrible call Sir. Horrible.

They are holding Altidore back from yelling at the ref. Lets go Algeria against England!

We need to win against Algeria regardless.

Assuming England beats Algeria, scenarios are:

England 4
Slovenia 4
US 2
Algeria 0

Slovenia or England win + US win = were in round of 16
Slovenia/England tie + US win = Goal differential to determine round of 16

drudy23
06-18-2010, 11:00 AM
What horrible officiating took away our third goal. That was not offside.

I don't think they called offsides. I think they called a foul (or whatever the soccer term is) on one of the interior guys that didn't score. It was still a bad call, because it looked like the guy who got the "foul" called on him was actually the one getting held.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
*Assuming England beats Algeria*

If we beat Algeria by 2 or more goals - we are in regardless of the other game's outcome.

D-West & PO-Z
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
I still cant believe they took away that 3rd goal. Terrible call.

Mark 3 Pointer
06-18-2010, 11:19 AM
What the hell were Torres and Finnely doing in the game?! With the exception of Torres's free kick on goal they were a total waste! Why would you play a forward with no international goals in such an important game?

That being said... We got ****ing screwed in the second half!

Algeria needs to win this next game 1-0 or a 0-0 draw for the US to have a realistic chance Wednesday...

If Altidore's goal would have been allowed I would have dookied in my pants...

Snipe
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't think they called offsides. I think they called a foul (or whatever the soccer term is) on one of the interior guys that didn't score. It was still a bad call, because it looked like the guy who got the "foul" called on him was actually the one getting held.

I have no idea what the call was other than it was bullshit. Bad calls all day long. That African Ref was incompetent. I wonder how he got that job. This should be his last time in the World Cup.

golfitup
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm so angry right now I can barely think. Two things, I've watched most of the games so far in the tournament and that was by far the worst officiated in my opinion. When are we gonna learn to not give up an early goal. It is now beyond ridiculous.

I guess a draw would be best for the England/Algeria game. F*ck.

And if we could keep this thread about soccer and the World Cup only and not about stupid yet creative rules changes that'd be great too. Thanks.

-Patrick

Snipe
06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm so angry right now I can barely think. Two things, I've watched most of the games so far in the tournament and that was by far the worst officiated in my opinion. When are we gonna learn to not give up an early goal. It is now beyond ridiculous.

I guess a draw would be best for the England/Algeria game. F*ck.

And if we could keep this thread about soccer and the World Cup only and not about stupid yet creative rules changes that'd be great too. Thanks.

-Patrick

If you don't like to prolong the topic I suggest you don't bring it up. Calling someone's idea stupid isn't the best bet to let something die, especially since it wasn't brought up on this page or in the last 25 posts on the topic. You are basically begging for the topic to be breached again. And I am a loudmouth to begin with...

Next thing you know, people will want to not talk about the fact that Slovenian women are whores, which has been well documented. Pluto's wife, mother and sisters are exceptions to that rule.

Mark 3 Pointer
06-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Sorry but what's with the +3 stoppage then a minute and a half for an injury then the game stops at 93 minutes... there's no stoppage time in stoppage time?!!! That's such BS! Why not just stop the clock for injuries and dead balls?! Why give the officials power to influence additional time? As far as i'm concerned in any sport where an element off human influence can be removed with technology... why not do it?! I really do love watching soccer but some of the little things like that just piss me off!! I got issues with all the European style flopping too... I know it's part of the game but if a someone fakes it too bad why not issue them a yellow for being a puss?! FIFA could clean the game up very quickly if they just made it a point to enforce a no flopping policy.

Why not make a great game even better? Makes no sense to me.

Emp
06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Sorry but what's with the +3 stoppage then a minute and a half for an injury then the game stops at 93 minutes... there's no stoppage time in stoppage time?!!! That's such BS! Why not just stop the clock for injuries and dead balls?! Why give the officials power to influence additional time? As far as i'm concerned in any sport where an element off human influence can be removed with technology... why not do it?! I really do love watching soccer but some of the little things like that just piss me off!! I got issues with all the European style flopping too... I know it's part of the game but if a someone fakes it too bad why not issue them a yellow for being a puss?! FIFA could clean the game up very quickly if they just made it a point to enforce a no flopping policy.

Why not make a great game even better? Makes no sense to me.

There is a rule against flopping, and it is called in the Premier League, among others. I believe it is an auto yellow, but I could be wrong.

Pluto
06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Next thing you know, people will want to not talk about the fact that Slovenian women are whores, which has been well documented. Pluto's wife, mother and sisters are exceptions to that rule.

Thanks Snipe...I do have a 1yr old daughter too.

It was a great match unfortunately it had to be marred by a horrible call.

Slovenians on the whole love America/Americans and Slovenia is the most stable/developed country that has come out of the former Yugoslavia. Did a trip to Croatia/Slovenia a couple years ago and it was a blast. Highly recommend the trip as an alternative to the standby western europe.

Most Slovenians migrated to the US moved to NE Ohio or Chicago. Cleveland, I believe has the largest concentration in the US.

Sorry for the big Slovenia sales pitch...I'll stop now

Snipe
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I got issues with all the European style flopping too... I know it's part of the game but if a someone fakes it too bad why not issue them a yellow for being a puss?!

European men are bisexual by default. That has been known for quite some time. They can't even defend their own contintent without our help. Bunch of liberal limp wristed pansies. That is what the Welfare State will do to ya. They barely reproduce. I don't think their men like vaginas much.

D-West & PO-Z
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Slovenians on the whole love America/Americans and Slovenia is the most stable/developed country that has come out of the former Yugoslavia. Did a trip to Croatia/Slovenia a couple years ago and it was a blast. Highly recommend the trip as an alternative to the standby western europe.

Most Slovenians migrated to the US moved to NE Ohio or Chicago. Cleveland, I believe has the largest concentration in the US.

I have a bit of Croatian in me. I would be interested in going there someday.

X-band '01
06-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Here you go Snipe:

http://slonews.sta.si/img/zl-0052.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slides/photos/000/117/305/RackMultipart.13332.0_display_image.jpg

On a side note, here are the hottest women from each country.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/295506-world-cup-of-hot-chicks-ranking-the-women-from-each-qualifying-country

Melissa Thoreiau (sp?) was only #12? Billy's going to be pissed.

Snipe
06-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Pluto I forgot to add your children into my disclaimer. God Bless that young American!

I was looking for someone who knew something about Slovenia today and you answered the call. I thank you for that. I did read today that when people left Slovenia they mostly came to America. Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. Loud and Proud.

I thought today's result worked out well for you. You still have bragging rights with your relatives because of the botched call, but Slovenia is still in the mix with a strong showing. You are a good man.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Sorry but what's with the +3 stoppage then a minute and a half for an injury then the game stops at 93 minutes... there's no stoppage time in stoppage time?!!! That's such BS! Why not just stop the clock for injuries and dead balls?! Why give the officials power to influence additional time? .

That annoys me too.

I saw an Argentinian League game this year on Fx Sports world where the following transpired in injury time with Tigre down 2-1 at home against Boca Juniors :

1) 3 minutes of stoppage time added
2) Tigre player fouls Boca player
3) Boca player rolls around in pain on ground( 30 seconds)
4) Gingerly gets up (5 seconds)
5) Places the ball for the kick perfectly (5 seconds)
6) Walks back slowly for the kick (5 seconds)
*At this point crowd starts to flip out
7) Walks back up to the ball slowly and re-places it (10 seconds)
8) Walks back slowly to take the free kick again (5 seconds)
9) Boca player decides he's not going to take the kick, walks away, and gets a yellow card (10 seconds)
10) New guy slowly walks up to place the ball perfectly on the ground (15 seconds)
11) New guy yellow carded
*Crowd going absolutely nuts and starts to throw stuff on the field
12) New guy takes the free kick and shortly after, game over. Crowd goes absolutely ballistic

3 minutes reduced to like a minute and a half because of that nonsense

X-band '01
06-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Here's another upset - a scoreless tie with Algeria and England. Now the US can advance simply with a win over Algeria or even tie Algeria and hope that England either ties or loses to Slovenia. Of course, Algeria is alive themselves - they could move on to the knockout stage with a win and a Slovenia win. This group is now wide-ass open.

In the event of a tiebreaker with England, the US currently has a 2-goal advantage in terms of goals scored (although each is even in the goal differential).

GuyFawkes38
06-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I definitely root against Serbia. They started World War I and in the 90's they clearly deserve most of the blame in the Balkan wars (looking back, it's pretty crazy that ethnic cleansing took place on such a massive scale in the heart of Europe in the 1990's).

I have a bit of Croatian in me. I would be interested in going there someday.

The Dalmatian coast is suppose to be wonderful. Here's Rick Steves take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OBty_pFQOQ

And here's his take on Slovenia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPZXAx7EVSQ&feature=channel

pineapplexpress
06-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Always getting in the snide uninformed remark Snipe. Did you know the French had more soldiers killed in WW1 then in all the wars we fought combined. The Germans had 4-5 million soldiers killed in WW2 and 75% of their casualties occurred on the Eastern Front against the Russians. If it were not for the Russians are casualties in Europe would have been over a million killed and the war would have lasted another year or two. Every nation has pansies and tough SOB's.

pineapplexpress
06-18-2010, 07:15 PM
First off that ref was horrible and we got robbed. I was worried about Slovenia since they got 3 points in their first match. They knocked the Czechs out of their qualifying group to finsh 2nd and then they beat Russia in a playoff. In fact Russia finshed 3rd at the last European Champions and they beat the Dutch 3-1 in the quarterfinal. Slovenia are a quality team. When Yugoslavia was still together they were referred to as the Argentines or Brazilians of Europe. Their teams were mainly compromised of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenians. They were a lot like Spain in underachieving and getting knocked in the round of 16 or quarterfinals. They also underachieved as we know now due to ethnic tensions. Anyway if the USA can play like they did in the 2nd half against Algeria for 90 minutes we win the game and advance. GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!

X-band '01
06-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Algeria has yet to score in World Cup play, yet I'm petrified that the US will find its way to dig itself an early hole somehow. I can't even imagine what it's like in England/Britain right now - this would be a much bigger collapse for them should they not advance out of group play.

golfitup
06-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I am still just furious.

DC Muskie
06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I like to thank the ref for completely ruining that match.

I just wanted to repeat that.

Our defense is horrible. 310 million people and our only decent defender stands 5 feet 6 inches.

I can't believe at the end of this match, I actually thought we should have won. By far the weirdest match I have ever seen.

Pluto
06-18-2010, 09:52 PM
The Dalmatian coast is suppose to be wonderful.

Oh, Dubrovnik is unbelievable. A walled city that sits right on the sea...words can't describe it. The city was attacked in the Balkan War and you can still see some of the damage although a ton of work has been done to restore it.

They also underachieved as we know now due to ethnic tensions.

That is actually wrong. Yugoslavia under its leader, Tito, was the exception to the rule behind the Iron Curtain. Serbs and Croats married and there was no ethnic tension, everyone lived in harmony. Once Yugoslavia started to break up Milosivic and some extreme factions on both sides came into power and BOTH sides did some horrible things, not just the Serbs.

DART87
06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I just wanted to repeat that.

Our defense is horrible. 10 million people who care and our only decent defender stands 5 feet 6 inches.

I can't believe at the end of this match, I actually thought we should have won. By far the weirdest match I have ever seen.

Fixed your post

DC Muskie
06-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Awesome another hilarious post on the number of people who care about soccer! Good one Dart! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

GoMuskies
06-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Dart sort of has a point, though. If soccer was the #1 sport in this country, don't you think Lebron James would be a superstar soccer player? 310 million people is right, but the best athletes don't grow up wanting to play soccer.

X-band '01
06-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Dart sort of has a point, though. If soccer was the #1 sport in this country, don't you think Lebron James would be a superstar soccer player? 310 million people is right, but the best athletes don't grow up wanting to play soccer.

If that were the case, he'd have stayed in football (which he did play in HS). But if Kobe Bryant is any indicator, he'll worry about fame first and rings later.

DC Muskie
06-19-2010, 07:16 AM

What's the point exactly? That LeBron James doesn't play soccer? He's 6'8" and 250 lbs. Do you see many guys in soccer built like that?

I don't give two shits where soccer stands in popularity in this country. How many people in this country love golf? And not just weekend hacks, but serious play in high school, college etc. And we produce some of the best golfers in the world.

So again, what's the point exactly? That Kobe Bryant didn't play soccer? How does that work? Would Landon Donovan been better served playing basketball?

Jesus, I just wish people who like to point out that they and other mouthbreathers don't like soccer, spend their time doing something else.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-19-2010, 09:25 AM
See ya Australia..

Another red card. Handball in the box for a PK for Ghana. Double Whammy

Kahns Krazy
06-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Awesome another hilarious post on the number of people who care about soccer! Good one Dart! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And another testy reply from you. Equally haha.

I get it though. Your sport is boring as shit, and you have no real counter to that point. So your only reply is to take shots at the posters. I'd be sensitive too if my sport featured exciting nil-nil result matches on the pitch.

Yawn.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-19-2010, 10:30 AM
And Australia hanging around. Wow. They are not out of this yet...

X-band '01
06-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Too bad for Ghana - that was their best shot at locking up a ticket to the next round. They have a point lead on Germany and Serbia, but I don't like their chances against a PO'd German squad.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Too bad for Ghana - that was their best shot at locking up a ticket to the next round. They have a point lead on Germany and Serbia, but I don't like their chances against a PO'd German squad.

Ya Germany is real pissed, especially Podolski

GuyFawkes38
06-19-2010, 12:18 PM
What's the point exactly? That LeBron James doesn't play soccer? He's 6'8" and 250 lbs. Do you see many guys in soccer built like that?

A few months ago Bill Simmons interviewed Alexi Lalas on his podcast. Being the basketball nut he is, Bill Simmons pointed out that Allen Iverson would have been the best soccer player alive. He's extremely athletic and quick. He has a great first step that he routinely beats his bball opponents on. He has great court vision. He's small, but that matters a lot less in soccer. It sounded like Simmons had a point.

Lalas disagreed and argued that in soccer, you need length and size. He argued that Lebron would have been America's best soccer player.

Something that I've noticed watching the world cup is that size matters. The more traditional soccer countries are bigger, stronger, and taller.

It's ridiculous for DC to claim that baseball, football, and basketball don't impede our production of top soccer players.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-19-2010, 12:34 PM
A few months ago Bill Simmons interviewed Alexi Lalas on his podcast. Being the basketball nut he is, Bill Simmons pointed out that Allen Iverson would have been the best soccer player alive. He's extremely athletic and quick. He has a great first step that he routinely beats his bball opponents on. He has great court vision. He's small, but that matters a lot less in soccer. It sounded like Simmons had a point.

Lalas disagreed and argued that in soccer, you need length and size. He argued that Lebron would have been America's best soccer player.

Something that I've noticed watching the world cup is that size matters. The more traditional soccer countries are bigger, stronger, and taller.

You can be successful as a country being small or tall.

Argentina, Italy, Spain, Portugal are traditionally smaller than Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, and England yet all are successful.

I have no doubt in my mind Iverson would have been good in soccer in the US IF and only IF he started at a young age and stuck with it. Greatest player in the world is an absolute stretch and probably the longest of longshots considering the huge disadvantage US soccer players have compared to the rest of the world (Lack of world class camps, lack of world class development schooling from young age,lack of top notch competition from within, lack of world class coaching, lack of resources devoted to developing players here, etc). These other countries devote an extraordinary amount of resources and money to scout kids at a very young age, move them to their camps (most of the times in other countries), and development them through rigorous soccer activities and training for hours upon hours each day against the ridiculous competition.

Lebron is an exceptional athlete and no doubt could play if developed at a young age. He would be like a Crouch from England X 2 (Crouch is 6'7 or 6'8). Lebron would be absolutely nasty on corner kicks, set plays, and probably breakaways

DC Muskie
06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
And another testy reply from you. Equally haha.

I get it though. Your sport is boring as shit, and you have no real counter to that point. So your only reply is to take shots at the posters. I'd be sensitive too if my sport featured exciting nil-nil result matches on the pitch.

Yawn.

Thanks for chiming in sport. Soccer may be boring to you, but then again what seems to keep you awake is how I respond to idiot people who have nothing else to offer as an opinion on soccer other than it's boring and no one cares. Wow, great revelation. Never heard that before!

Wait, are you now going to tell me how dumb the sport is as well? You might be uncovering some great new information.

You can go back to sleep now.

DC Muskie
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
It's ridiculous for DC to claim that baseball, football, and basketball don't impede our production of top soccer players.

Here we go.

Does basketball, football, and baseball prevent us from producing top notch keepers year after year?

I just want one central back who is top flight. We are able to produce top flight golfers, tennis players, and the like.

I don't really understand the argument that somehow LeBron would have been a great soccer player. It's like people who claim Jordan was the best athlete ever, and the guy couldn't hit a double A curve ball.

X-band '01
06-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Lighten up LH, err, DC.

Maybe Jordan wasn't the best athlete, but Bo Jackson in his day certainly was. He was an All-Star in both MLB and the NFL. That's not to say that he would have been All-World in soccer, but it is interesting to speculate "what if."

DC Muskie
06-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Lighten up LH, err, DC.

Maybe Jordan wasn't the best athlete, but Bo Jackson in his day certainly was. He was an All-Star in both MLB and the NFL. That's not to say that he would have been All-World in soccer, but it is interesting to speculate "what if."

Huh? Am I being too harsh and the people whose only contribution to this thread is to tell us the 400th time how boring it is, or if this athlete or that athlete would be a great soccer player?

Who knows if Bo Jackson would have been great in soccer, does anyone sit around and wonder if Dale Murphy would have been a good tight end? Or if Mark Price could have played second base?

I get the point people don't like soccer. Really I do. And it's fine, I'm not interested in converting people.

Anyway, enough of this stupid shit. I can't believe Australia came back to get a draw. That entire group has turned out to be very interesting. Germany and England might be out. Incredible.

Snipe
06-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Lighten up LH, err, DC.

Bo Jackson had world class speed and a 225+ pounds. He was dangerous in the NFL. He made the All Star Team and was MVP of an All Star game in MLB. That man was seriously talented. Had it not been for a freak injury against our beloved Bengals he may have gone down as the greatest athlete of our time.

Could he have played soccer if coached from a young age? I suspect he would have been fantastic. That man was the complete package.

Michael Jordan could have done a lot of things too. The man had an amazing sense of timing and touch.

Soccer is a different game. Some guys have size and bulk. Some guys have height. Some guys have speed. Some guys just have incredible touch. They can play the ball anywhere they want on a good day. Most people have a combination of skills. You can use them all. Some guys with great touch and placement can play many years in leagues after their quickness has left them because of how they can place the ball in the right places.

I think it is an interesting argument on how certain players could have played. I have thought about this many times. When I was living abroad they used to televise volleyball which is a great game. Men don't play volleyball here because of Title IX. Olympic volleyball is the whip. Imagine Ralph Sampson or Michael Jordan playing volleyball.

America is getting better at Soccer. We have a ways to go. Countries like England, Argentina and Brazil put so much into the game it is hard for us to fathom. They start them so early and they keep it going every day. They are crazy about the game. The game is everything.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Anyone watching this Cameroon Denmark game? It's crazy. 2-1 Denmark right now. Cameroon needs the win to stay alive

Snipe
06-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Denmark becomes only the second team in the World Cup to come back from behind.

DC Muskie
06-20-2010, 02:49 PM
New Zealand tied Italy.

Yes, you're right. Soccer is totally boring.

I think Brazil is going to win 8-0. This team may not be as exciting, but man are they good.

GuyFawkes38
06-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Holy crap, soccer can get ridiculous. Kaka is out of the next game because an Ivory Coast player completely flopped.

Seriously, why doesn't FIFA review yellow and red cards after the game. If FIFA used such a tool, surely players would have a little less incentive to flop.

It really is pathetic.

X-band '01
06-20-2010, 05:28 PM
That, and it's a great time for France to just walk out of practice after one of their players gets tossed from the team. This would be as good a time as any for South Africa to sneak out with a win and a possible ticket to the knockout stage.

DC Muskie
06-20-2010, 07:50 PM
It's really pissing me off how France is acting, especially since they cheated Ireland to get in.

And trying to figure out FIFA is absolutely pointless.

Strange Brew
06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
ok, DC you and others have converted me to at least follow the US team. What needs to happen for USA, USA, USA to get out of their group?

bourbonman
06-20-2010, 09:50 PM
And trying to figure out FIFA is absolutely pointless.

I'm trying to be more than a casual fan. Have a daughter who lived on the continent for several yeas. She drank the koolaid. But not sure this scoreless escapade isn't fixed to the second round. NOTE: US goal in game on Friday! But I"m sure there's others.

If they really want to reduce the questions, then something could be more open on the penalty/injury/otherwise billshit added time at the end the game. I understand why it's there, but get a clock and STOP IT WHEN IT NEEDS TO BE STOPPED!

This isn't even a game from the US but it looks like Washington is running things!

BBC 08
06-20-2010, 09:55 PM
ok, DC you and others have converted me to at least follow the US team. What needs to happen for USA, USA, USA to get out of their group?

This link (http://deadspin.com/5567304/what-needs-to-happen-for-the-us-team-to-advance?skyline=true&s=i) does a great job of explaining what needs to happen for us to advance.

GoMuskies
06-21-2010, 12:28 AM
What's the point exactly?

The point, dumbass, is that you're complaining about a country of 310 million people not being able to produce someone who plays a certain soccer position well. And it's pretty obvious that a major reason for that is that a lot of the best athletes in the country grow up trying to be the next Lebron James and not the next [name a famous good soccer player].

But what do I know? I'm just a mouthbreather apparently.

GuyFawkes38
06-21-2010, 02:10 AM
I heard on a sports radio station some guy arguing that there shouldn't be one game suspensions for red cards. Of course, that seems really off. From what I've seen, it isn't that hard to slide tackle and seriously injure a player. There must be strict penalties for that type of behavior.

It's just really hard for refs to make the right calls. Yesterday, the announcers applauded the refs for not calling many yellow cards 3/4th through the game. Then suddenly the game got out of a control and a Brazilian player went out on a stretcher. To try to regain control of the game, they gave a bad yellow card on Kaka.

I don't envy the position that soccer and basketball refs are in.

DC Muskie
06-21-2010, 06:13 AM
The point, dumbass, is that you're complaining about a country of 310 million people not being able to produce someone who plays a certain soccer position well. And it's pretty obvious that a major reason for that is that a lot of the best athletes in the country grow up trying to be the next Lebron James and not the next [name a famous good soccer player].

But what do I know? I'm just a mouthbreather apparently.

Did you read the other posts where I pointed out things like we are able to produce some of the best keepers in the world year after year? That position is a little harder then producing a central back.

How are able to produce Michael Phelps? Tiger Woods?

All we need is one central back. Just one. Out of 310 million. How hard is that?

Please don't answer. I get your point. Soccer sucks, because LeBron James plays basketball. It's a brilliant response, really it is.

DC Muskie
06-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Just win. We need to get a clean sheet, not give up a goal in the first 10 minutes like we always seem to do, and start scoring.

Hopefully we can find someone who will play central back well.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Just win. We need to get a clean sheet, not give up a goal in the first 10 minutes like we always seem to do, and start scoring.

Hopefully we can find someone who will play central back well.

Oh ya! Win and were in! Algeria is no slouch. Any team that can blank the English, no matter how good or bad England is playing right now, will be formidable. I am definitely encouraged by that 2nd half play of the US against the non Slovakian Slovenians.

I really like how the 3rd games of each group are played simultaneously. That way it ensures that no teams see a result and take it easy.

DC Muskie
06-21-2010, 08:40 AM
I hope the North Korean players will be okay when they return home from the beating Portugal just laid on them.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Ya, Kim Jong is not happy I'm sure. Lets hope its not a repeat of the Iraq team situation with Sadaam.

Good thing he's banning the games from his citizens unless they win.

I'm sure those 2000 Chinese Nationalists getting paid by Lil Kim to act as North Korean fans are having a heck of a time on his dime

GoMuskies
06-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Soccer sucks

Finally.

X-band '01
06-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Ya, Kim Jong is not happy I'm sure. Lets hope its not a repeat of the Iraq team situation with Sadaam.

Good thing he's banning the games from his citizens unless they win.

I'm sure those 2000 Chinese Nationalists getting paid by Lil Kim to act as North Korean fans are having a heck of a time on his dime

Given today's result, the North Koreans should be thanking Kim Jong for blacking out these games so far. They'll get the hint that no coverage has been shown so far, but I can't imagine a 7-0 rout will be received well if and when their public finds out.

DC Muskie
06-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Finally.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Thanks. Totally awesome.

GoMuskies
06-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks.

You are very, very welcome. You richly deserve all you get.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I heard on a sports radio station some guy arguing that there shouldn't be one game suspensions for red cards. Of course, that seems really off. From what I've seen, it isn't that hard to slide tackle and seriously injure a player. There must be strict penalties for that type of behavior.

It's just really hard for refs to make the right calls. Yesterday, the announcers applauded the refs for not calling many yellow cards 3/4th through the game. Then suddenly the game got out of a control and a Brazilian player went out on a stretcher. To try to regain control of the game, they gave a bad yellow card on Kaka.

I don't envy the position that soccer and basketball refs are in.

It really is a crapshoot. Usually you know within the first 5-10 minutes if a ref is ridiculously anal about fouls/cards or not. It's up to the players to realize how he's calling it and take advantage of it. In that New Zealand Italy game, where De Rossi dove in the box to draw that PK foul, that should have been a no call. I understand though why the ref called it. The Italian player sold the dive. It looked very convincing. Obviously on replay there was little contact. Credit the Italian player for realizing the ref is calling a lot of fouls, and then selling the play. It's kind of like drawing a charge in basketball or shooting the three, getting touched on the hand, and collapsing in a heap.

The yellow card on Findlay was horrific the other day. The ball clearly hit him in the face. Now he is out against Algeria because of it. That ref was the worst and most inconsistent one in the World Cup so far in my opinion

The 2nd yellow against Kaka was awful too. Now he is out against Portugal and I was really looking forward to teammates Kaka and Ronaldo playing against each other. Also, if Portugal beats Brazil, they move into first place in that group because of goal differential.

Nigeria had a weak red card vs Greece - But then again he extended his arms to shove the guy.

Other than that I can't really think of too many horrific calls that impacted the game or the future of the team.

DC Muskie
06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
That Brazil match got to be a little rough towards the end anyway. Got to be a little chippy, especially since the questionable no calls on the two of the goals scored.

And the Italians are always very good at making everything look like mass murder on the pitch.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Given today's result, the North Koreans should be thanking Kim Jong for blacking out these games so far. They'll get the hint that no coverage has been shown so far, but I can't imagine a 7-0 rout will be received well if and when their public finds out.

*If* they find out.

I have a feeling Lil Kim will find a way to convince the people that A) the western powers cheated to bring shame to North Korea or B) They print newspapers and show TV coverage of their goal along with fancy editing to show the people they won and are the best in the world. He could make a fake parade and everything.

I mean here are some recent headlines from the North Korean Media:

"Kim Jong Il Praised As Most Famous Person of World"

The U.S. magazine "Time" praised him as the most outstanding statesman among the world's famous politicians in 2004 and an excellent leader in 2006. And this year it listed him as the leader who has the biggest influence on the change of the world and the best reputed leader in the world.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17165_6-reasons-north-korea-funniest-evil-dictatorship-ever.html
http://www.shortlist.com/funny-stuff/article/north-korea-the-crazy-truth/1

"Following a 1-0 loss to bitter rivals (who knew?) South Korea in qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the North Korean coach gracefully accused their neighbours of poisoning his team with 'adulterated foodstuffs'."

Mark 3 Pointer
06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
If there was a time for the North Korean keeper to defect... now might be the time.

DC Muskie
06-21-2010, 09:56 AM
If there was a time for the North Korean keeper to defect... now might be the time.

Ha. Yeah, might be something to consider.

ILoveLamp_and_XU
06-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Of course Alexi Lalas is going to give the response he gave - look at him. Regardless, no one should pay attention to what Alexi Lalas says in regards to soccer - while he was a tall, physical, and aggressive player, he lacked any decent technical skills.

While size provides an advantage in certain positions, the "bigger, stronger, and taller" are not always the majority when you review a list of world class players (ie. Messi, Kaka, Robinho, etc...).

When it comes to traditional soccer countries you will find that there are very different playing styles, which tends to dictate the make-up of the team (ie. Germany, England, etc... vs. Brazil, Chile, Mexico, etc...)

Mark 3 Pointer
06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Could you imagine Dwight Howard as the keeper for the US?

DC Muskie
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Can you imagine Pau Gasol in net for the Spanish?

Or Tony Parker out on the wing for France?

It would be crazy.

Could you imagine if BJ Raymond had played tennis? His serve would have been a killer. Just straight gas.

stophorseabuse
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Huggins should be the goal keeper. Just prop him on his side and the goal is covered.

XUglow
06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
While size provides an advantage in certain positions, the "bigger, stronger, and taller" are not always the majority when you review a list of world class players (ie. Messi, Kaka, Robinho, etc...).

Alexi played for the SF Bay Blackhawks back in the late 80's back when the US had only a handful of professional teams playing in high school stadiums. The first game I saw him play was at Cal High School in San Ramon. He was a brute and should have gotten a red card in the first 5 minutes. Maybe he thinks bigger and stronger is what you need to knock the crap out of opposing strikers when they venture too close to your goal.

boozehound
06-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Damn. It sounds like DC is getting a little testy...

X-band '01
06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Huggins should be the goal keeper. Just prop him on his side and the goal is covered.

They need him in Louisiana right now. Slick Rick alone won't get the job done.

DC Muskie
06-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Suck it France. Only wish Mexico could have gone with you.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Suck it France. Only wish Mexico could have gone with you.

They'll be gone next round. Argentina will mop the floor with them

GuyFawkes38
06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Fifa just made a big announcement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg&feature=player_embedded#!

I think it's a good first step for the sport.

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Good moves i think not starting Gooch and inserting Gomez.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-23-2010, 09:08 AM
These first 15 minutes are always the most scary for us this world cup. I'm watching the Algerian broadcast at work since the other links aren't working and they were going absolutely ape^&%*.

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 09:14 AM
My work computer sucks, and I can't leave so I'm getitng updates from si.com.

This games reads like it's going to be an up and down game. Most likely very boring to the "I hate soccer" crowd.

GoMuskies
06-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Even "exciting" soccer games are boring if you hate soccer.

I love the drama of playing these games simultaneously, though, when the outcome of one could affect the strategy in the other.

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 09:22 AM
This is why I hate the way we develop players in this country.

Bornstein and DeMerit, two converted forwards playing defense in the biggest match of the year. If only Paul Pierce would have played soccer.

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I think offsides on a rebound off of a shot is the dumbest thing ever. I understand normal offsides but not off a rebound.

Just saw the replay. Wasnt offsides. Another disallowed goal that should have been good.

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I think offsides on a rebound off of a shot is the dumbest thing ever.

Agreed.

Jesus we need to win.

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 09:27 AM
England up 1-nil.

Kahns Krazy
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
We got hosed again. I can't believe it.

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Wow, ANOTHER missed chance.

Emp
06-23-2010, 09:39 AM
England is all over Slovenia. We have to win, and Altidore just missed a point blank. Still, we are the better team, and should finally find the net and advance.

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 09:39 AM
We need to start losing, so we can win this match.

I have never seen a team, besides Dayton, that can't meet the expectations that they are supposed to win.

XUglow
06-23-2010, 09:41 AM
I missed the goal that they disallowed, but one of my staff said that Dempsey was not offsides. We dodged an early bullet, but we have had way more chances than Algeria. With England up on Slovenia, it is a must win for us. The rest of the game is going to be intense.

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I missed the goal that they disallowed, but one of my staff said that Dempsey was not offsides. We dodged an early bullet, but we have had way more chances than Algeria. With England up on Slovenia, it is a must win for us. The rest of the game is going to be intense.

Yeah it looked to me like he was live, but then they showed the replay and Dempsey was equal with the defender. It was a bad call.

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Altidore. You. Are. Killing. Us.

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Halftime. We had a lot of opportunities but missed. Got to take advantage of them in the second half.

Kahns Krazy
06-23-2010, 09:50 AM
I missed the goal that they disallowed, but one of my staff said that Dempsey was not offsides. .

Are you hiring?

Kahns Krazy
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
How many freaking empty nets can we miss?

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm getting sick.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm getting sick.

I heard people in the next door office yelling and groaning after that shot that hit the post.

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Nice acting there.

My 10 year old brother just said to me, "soccer players fake 10x more than Pau Gasol."

Haha.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-23-2010, 10:27 AM
This keeper for Algeria is unreal

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Rooney is done for the day.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-23-2010, 10:34 AM
This is so freakin frustrating

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 10:35 AM
This is going to end with a late goal by Algeria. I can feel it.

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 10:37 AM
This is frustrating.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Algeria is gonna start milking the clock now just to spite us

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Algeria is gonna start milking the clock now just to spite us

Ya, I think so too.

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Beasley...please do something.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-23-2010, 10:47 AM
4 minutes

Kahns Krazy
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Woooooow!

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Omg!!!!!!

GuyFawkes38
06-23-2010, 10:49 AM
my big worry is that this might cause more americans to like soccer.

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 10:49 AM
No freaking way!!!!! GOOOOOAAALLL

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Unreal!~!

DC Muskie
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Leslie!!!!!!!!!

D-West & PO-Z
06-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I am just at a loss of words.