PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto....WTF?

xavierj
05-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Is this guy gonna pull the same shit as last year? He has a stiff neck this time, has now missed 3 straight and no one is saying anything. Guy is a great hitter but man is he mysterious? I just hope he does not kill 2010 like he did 2009. Grow a sack!

gladdenguy
05-28-2010, 08:46 PM
But this year the Reds are raking without him the last 3 games. The pitching is really coming around. This year could be special.
I am not a fan of Dusty but he has em playin inspired ball. And they are absolutely crushing the ball. hitting with 2 outs and risp. they have homered in 16 straight games.
Wow.

nuts4xu
05-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Someone prescribe the guy some mood stablizer and get his ass back in the lineup. However, if Miguel Cairo keeps hitting at the same clip, Votto may not have a spot to come back to when his neck loosens up.

Crazy Canuck.

smileyy
05-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Depression and anxiety isn't something that "growing a sack" helps with. They cripple every one of your basic coping mechanisms, and few people have the tools to deal with that by themselves.

nuts4xu
05-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Depression and anxiety isn't something that "growing a sack" helps with. They cripple every one of your basic coping mechanisms, and few people have the tools to deal with that by themselves.

Meds do wonders but it can take some time to find the right combination. If he is in a funk, or his head ain't straight, I hope he has a good shrink.....and gets the right meds sooner rather than later.

danaandvictory
05-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Someone prescribe the guy some mood stablizer and get his ass back in the lineup. However, if Miguel Cairo keeps hitting at the same clip, Votto may not have a spot to come back to when his neck loosens up.

There is nothing more Cincinnati than fans going apeshit over a replacement-level veteran's 30 hot at-bats. I remember when Chris Stynes was the new Ted Williams.

Everything is rolling for the club right now except middle relief. I wouldn't mind seeing them trade a little of that AAA depth for someone who Dusty can rely on in close games (i.e., not Mike Lincoln).

Cincypunk.org
05-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe it is indeed a stiff neck...

THRILLHOUSE
05-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Is this guy gonna pull the same shit as last year? He has a stiff neck this time, has now missed 3 straight and no one is saying anything. Guy is a great hitter but man is he mysterious? I just hope he does not kill 2010 like he did 2009. Grow a sack!

Wow. Really dude? "the same shit as last year"? The guy lost his father and went through severe depression. And maybe, just maybe, his neck is messed up and he cant play with it at the moment. Plus the Reds have done fine this week w/o him, so step off the ledge. Yeah, hopefully the injury isn't long term, but seriously, grow a brain.

xavierj
05-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Shut the f up. His dad died two and a half years ago. What he won't be able to function the rest of his life? Trust me it was more then grieving for his dad last year. You won't see him for at least a month. Dude has issues.

Wow. Really dude? "the same shit as last year"? The guy lost his father and went through severe depression. And maybe, just maybe, his neck is messed up and he cant play with it at the moment. Plus the Reds have done fine this week w/o him, so step off the ledge. Yeah, hopefully the injury isn't long term, but seriously, grow a brain.

gladdenguy
05-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I think he is taking his time for his yearly broadway sabbatical.

Fireball
05-29-2010, 10:00 PM

So Votto is never allowed to be injured? Really?

Guy has been out for 3 games, and we've blown out the opponent in each. Enjoy it and shut the f up.

xavierj
05-29-2010, 10:18 PM
So Votto is never allowed to be injured? Really?

Guy has been out for 3 games, and we've blown out the opponent in each. Enjoy it and shut the f up.

It has now been 4 games. He missed a significant amount in 08 after his dad died, missed 40 games in 09 grieving for his dad and now this. He ain't coming back anytime soon. At what point do people realize something else is going on? Yeah the team is fine without him but at what point do you start to wonder about the guy? Do you think Rolen has aches and pains? How about Phillips? But Votto takes to take a break every year and it is OK, people want to make excuses for him. Could you imagine if Ochocinco pulled this crap for the Bengals? The Reds cannot afford to have this guy have nervous breakdowns every year. People need to stop protecting this guy.

GuyFawkes38
05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
It has now been 4 games. He missed a significant amount in 08 after his dad died, missed 40 games in 09 grieving for his dad and now this. He ain't coming back anytime soon. At what point do people realize something else is going on? Yeah the team is fine without him but at what point do you start to wonder about the guy? Do you think Rolen has aches and pains? How about Phillips? But Votto takes to take a break every year and it is OK, people want to make excuses for him. Could you imagine if Ochocinco pulled this crap for the Bengals? The Reds cannot afford to have this guy have nervous breakdowns every year. People need to stop protecting this guy.

That same thought went through my mind.

Cheesehead
05-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Wow, I didn't know everyone here has their M.D.'s. As a person who has a brother that has battled severe depression and anxiety issues for many, many years, it is not as easy as just popping some meds and getting back in the lineup. Many folks need their medication tweaked and dosage adjusted on regular basis in addition to some type of therapy. There are also serious side effects as well with many of the meds. My brother has days where he can't get out of bed. "Normal" folks don't understand and can be ignorant of the facts regarding depression. I used to be like that too. Then, I grew up.

Another thought: perhaps it really is his neck.

jdm2000
05-30-2010, 08:24 PM
They (the announcers, etc.) keep talking like they have actually seen him having trouble moving his neck, and running. I will give him the benefit of the doubt here.

xavierj
05-30-2010, 09:35 PM
I understand if he has depression problems but be up front and if need be let the Reds move forward. At some point the team needs to be able to count on their players, if not then they will take a big fall like last season. The reds were 26-20 last year when Votto left the team. When he came back they were 19 games under .500. This is professional sports, DL the guy and move on until he can be counted on. Tomorrow marks a huge series for the Reds and they will be without their most reliable hitter.

stophorseabuse
05-31-2010, 06:13 AM
I understand anxiety--very very intimately. But he's playing baseball (and well)--not trying to keep a business afloat. go PLAY. A game or 2 I could see if things really were not working, but 40? I haven't followed the reds much since I moved but that is crazy.

drudy23
06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Honestly, I don't think any of it makes sense.

If he's depressed, then why is he in the dugout? He doesn't look depressed when the camera shows him sitting on the top step of the dug-out spitting out a sunflower seed. Does his depression "click in" when he crosses the line to play ball? What's the difference between sitting in the dugout and watching the game vs actually playing the game? Depression is a mental illness...it would seem to impact the non-physical (non-baseball) and physical (baseball) aspects of his life. He can laugh and spit seeds at his teammates in the dug-out, but can't catch a ground ball?

And if it is a stiff neck, then he's just a pussy.

I don't think it's either one of these things...but it is very mysterious and I'm sure there's more to the story we don't know.

Emp
06-02-2010, 11:17 AM
He looked really depressed last night.

Jumpy
06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't know about depressed, but he sure was pissed at the umps last night. Can't say that I blame him, though. That call on the DP when the ump said he pulled his foot was one of the worst I've seen in a while.

GuyFawkes38
06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
wild guess. Ruling out the neck injury, maybe the doctors told him last year that it wouldn't be a good idea for him to play a full schedule. Playing baseball for a 9 month grind might spark a relapse.

smileyy
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
If he's depressed, then why is he in the dugout?

Because abandoning your team and being all by yourself, away from one of the few things that you're supposed to be enjoying and passionate about isn't a good way to go about it either.

Depression is a cruel, cruel torturer and killer