PDA

View Full Version : Quote for the day, May 23rd 2010

Snipe
05-23-2010, 03:44 AM
From the New York Times:

Deficit Crisis Threatens European Life (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/world/europe/23europe.html?pagewanted=2&partner=rss&emc=rss)

More broadly, many across Europe say the Continent will have to adapt to fiscal and demographic change, because social peace depends on it. “Europe won’t work without that,” said Joschka Fischer, the former German foreign minister, referring to the state’s protective role. “In Europe we have nationalism and racism in a politicized manner, and those parties would have exploited grievances if not for our welfare state,” he said. “It’s a matter of national security, of our democracy.”

Once government gets so big, Joschka Fischer, former German foreign minister reckons that if you cut it back you would have social unrest. He is right. That is what is going on in Greece right now.

Imagine how pissed people will be when the welfare state collapses. Should have read Mark Steyn.

The German Foreign Minister views welfare as a part of national security. You pay the mob off only because you have too. You are paying the mob if you want national security, "Europe won't work without that".

I think that is our future. I think that Europe will collapse before we do, which is good for us and really bad for them. Happy Trails Euro.

Welfare benefits are needed for national security. He is right too. Look at the homeless population in the United States. It is actually quite low, even given the exagerated statistics of homeless advocates, where young adults living at home are considered homeless. But add to that everyone living in public housing and you have a riot on your hands. A 22 year old living at home really isn't homeless, but if you stopped Section 8 and government housing you would have a huge homeless population ready to riot. That is the mob he is talking about. You keep them at bay by paying them off. If we ever want to stop paying them off we better have guns and tanks on hand for the occassion, because nobody like that will be wrestled from the government teat willingly.

If and when the dollar fails and the government has no money, the people that lose the homes that government was paying the bill for are going to be very angry. When the dollar fails we won't be able to do much about it either. Section 8 pays money to private property owners in dollars. If those dollars are worth nothing, those people will lose their homes.

This European man knows that you can't discontinue the welfare state without a riot. We are watching Greece with detachment right now. I wonder when the war of scarcity comes home. It will happen sooner than later.

picknroll
05-23-2010, 08:17 AM
From the New York Times:

Deficit Crisis Threatens European Life (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/world/europe/23europe.html?pagewanted=2&partner=rss&emc=rss)

Once government gets so big, Joschka Fischer, former German foreign minister reckons that if you cut it back you would have social unrest. He is right. That is what is going on in Greece right now.

Imagine how pissed people will be when the welfare state collapses. Should have read Mark Steyn.

The German Foreign Minister views welfare as a part of national security. You pay the mob off only because you have too. You are paying the mob if you want national security, "Europe won't work without that".

I think that is our future. I think that Europe will collapse before we do, which is good for us and really bad for them. Happy Trails Euro.

Welfare benefits are needed for national security. He is right too. Look at the homeless population in the United States. It is actually quite low, even given the exagerated statistics of homeless advocates, where young adults living at home are considered homeless. But add to that everyone living in public housing and you have a riot on your hands. A 22 year old living at home really isn't homeless, but if you stopped Section 8 and government housing you would have a huge homeless population ready to riot. That is the mob he is talking about. You keep them at bay by paying them off. If we ever want to stop paying them off we better have guns and tanks on hand for the occassion, because nobody like that will be wrestled from the government teat willingly.

If and when the dollar fails and the government has no money, the people that lose the homes that government was paying the bill for are going to be very angry. When the dollar fails we won't be able to do much about it either. Section 8 pays money to private property owners in dollars. If those dollars are worth nothing, those people will lose their homes.

This European man knows that you can't discontinue the welfare state without a riot. We are watching Greece with detachment right now. I wonder when the war of scarcity comes home. It will happen sooner than later.

Snipe, I agree with what you say. I think our long and rich history of VOLUNTARILY giving to, and charity for, those truly in need would help mitigate the worst scenario here. It's those who are not really needy but who have decided to work the system for everything they can get from it are the ones to worry about. But you are correct...it would be unlike anything we have seen or would have previously dealt with.