PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball Coach Floyd Deaton Resigns

SixFig
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Linkage (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2010/05/04/xu-volleyball-coach-resigns/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Sad to see but after 20 years of great volleyball he will be missed.

BandAid
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I guess this means the end of Deaton's Dogs...

Happy Trails Coach Deaton

xavierdude
05-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Ummm...where did this come from? I mean, 20 years is a long time, but I didn't see him leaving already. Well wishes, coach!

XU 87
05-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Does this announcement strike anyone else as a little odd? He's been a coach for 20 years but there's no mention of what he is going to do or why he's resigning. Just based on what I read in the paper, this has the appearance of a coach who was asked to resign. But based on his record, that doesn't fit either.

BBC 08
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Whatever the reason is, Coach Deaton will be missed. He was a very student friendly coach and always made time to talk to you.

xavierdude
05-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Does this announcement strike anyone else as a little odd? He's been a coach for 20 years but there's no mention of what he is going to do or why he's resigning. Just based on what I read in the paper, this has the appearnce of a coach who was asked to resign. But based on his record, that doesn't fit either.

Exactly...hmmm...

X-band '01
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM
The timing of it is VERY odd - for starters, volleyball is a fall sport (although they do have some spring scrimmages). Gotta wonder who's going to take over - they've had some occasional success under his tutelage.

Blueblob4life
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I for one am going to miss him a lot. he was a big part of my four years at X being as much fun as they were. I also find the timing a bit off but I heard it went down a bit differently than they published. Regardless of how it happened, I for one will miss his post-match speeches to the students and his willingness to be fully involved with us.

XU 87
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=Blueblob4life;198359] I also find the timing a bit off but I heard it went down a bit differently than they published.
QUOTE]

Fill us in. What happened?

Blueblob4life
05-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't know anything specific, I just feel that the timing and everything else from what others have said is just off. doesn't sit right, you know? I'm going to leave it at that b/c I really don't want to know regardless

xu0niner
05-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Deaton was a X-fan favorite for sure.. but what went on behind the scenes with xuvb is a completely different story................................

blobfan
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Deaton was a X-fan favorite for sure.. but what went on behind the scenes with xuvb is a completely different story................................

Source? Explanation? Innuendo doesn't cut it. My usual source hasn't heard anything and he's usually pretty good about getting the dirt once something goes down. He has nothing but good things to say about Deaton.

xu0niner
05-05-2010, 01:47 PM
source? befriend your nearest volleyball player of the past 20 years

blobfan
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
source? befriend your nearest volleyball player of the past 20 years

Are you claiming to be a current or former player?

xu0niner
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I am not claiming to be anything but knowledgeable of the situation, and simply stating that the best way to find out about the craziness behind the scenes is to talk to a player past or present. I wish Floyd nothing but the best, and hope that they find a replacement that is worthy enough of what the program deserves.

XUOWNSUC
05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
No offense to anybody here, but I'm not a fan of coach deaton. I'm not gonna go into specifics why, but I'm glad he is gone.

xu0niner
05-05-2010, 03:49 PM
No offense to anybody here, but I'm not a fan of coach deaton. I'm not gonna go into specifics why, but I'm glad he is gone.

there are many that share your sentiments and am very suprised this hasn't happened years ago

D-West & PO-Z
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I heard from a source that it was a forced resignation. No word on why.

xavierdude
05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Total speculation, but any guy coaching college girls is gonna have way too much temptation.

As a student, I really liked the guy. He was always involved with the students.

xu0niner
05-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Total speculation, but any guy coaching college girls is gonna have way too much temptation.

Xavierdude--give me a break, thats something pretty heavy to speculate.

Trust me, there was no inappropriate relationships. From what I've heard.. he was a very very very difficult man to play for, most would say mentally abusive

GuyFawkes38
05-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Bobinksi does a really great job managing the bball teams.

But it does seem like there's a high turnover rate for coaches of other sports at X. Maybe it's just the nature of college athletics.

xu0niner
05-05-2010, 05:40 PM
great point..

the men's bball team has always been a double-edge sword to the rest of xavier athletics (with the exception of women's bball). They bring in all of the money, and therefore other sports benefit both in monetary terms as well as through a stronger fan base (usually).

However, having a basketball team that is "the driving marketing force" for your school (Fr. Graham) means that the other sports will be overlooked when needed the attention/support from the athletic offices.

xavierdude
05-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Xavierdude--give me a break, thats something pretty heavy to speculate.

Trust me, there was no inappropriate relationships. From what I've heard.. he was a very very very difficult man to play for, most would say mentally abusive

I can take you at your word. I couldn't have been the only one to have that thought cross their minds though.

He was very animated. I liked that though. Maybe that kinda thing just didn't work for the volleyball players.

GoMuskies
05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Bobinksi does a really great job managing the bball teams.

But it does seem like there's a high turnover rate for coaches of other sports at X. Maybe it's just the nature of college athletics.

Yeah, Deaton was only around for 20 years. What is up with that short-timer?

XU '11
05-06-2010, 02:09 PM
What I've been hearing is that this was laregely a monetary move. Surely after being here 20 years he is owed more money than somebody new they can hire. Plus, the the program has been pretty stagnant over the past decade or so despite being situated in a high school volleyball hotbed (Cincy, Louisville, and Indianapolis are all top notch).

Here's to hoping whoever the new coach is can raise the program to another level.

Has anybody heard rumors of possible replacements? The only paid assistant is an '05 Dayton grad, (ew) Christy Utnage. She would seem very young and inexperienced, but will be a good head coach someday. She was on the American Volleyball Coaches Association's list of 30 best coaches under the age of 30 last year. It'll be interesting to see the direction Bobinski goes.

XU 87
05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
What I've been hearing is that this was laregely a monetary move. Surely after being here 20 years he is owed more money than somebody new they can hire. Plus, the the program has been pretty stagnant over the past decade or so despite being situated in a high school volleyball hotbed (Cincy, Louisville, and Indianapolis are all top notch).

As far as your first sentence, that is classic age discrimination- "let's fire the old guy because he makes too much money and hire some young pup who we can pay half as much." So I doubt that is the reason he was fired.

Your second sentence would seem to make more sense.

XU '11
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM
As far as your first sentence, that is classic age discrimination- "let's fire the old guy because he makes too much money and hire some young pup who we can pay half as much." So I doubt that is the reason he was fired.

Your second sentence would seem to make more sense.

How is it age discrimination to say "we think somebody else can do the job equally well for less pay"?

XU 87
05-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I am going to have to correct my earlier statement. After conducting some extensive research, (I talked to a lawyer in my office), and pursuant to a Supreme Court decision from about three years ago, you are permitted to fire an older guy if the sole reason is to find someone who is cheaper, even if that other person is younger. But you should offer that older person his job at the reduced salary before you fire him (so I've been told).

xu0niner
05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
come on people, it had nothing to do with age--there are plenty of extremely successful vb coaches older than deaton (russ rose, anyone?)

Simply put--he was losing touch with his players, and in this day and age, couldn't get away with the way he treated them any longer. Not to mention his coaching methods were very inconsistent.

xu0niner
06-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Word on the street is that Xavier has made an offer and it has been accepted by a coach from the OVC.

94GRAD
06-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Word on the street is that Xavier has made an offer and it has been accepted by a coach from the OVC.

I believe this is the guy.

http://www.apsugovernors.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=85713&SPID=10131&DB_OEM_ID=16900&ATCLID=204782742&Q_SEASON=2010

GuyFawkes38
06-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Not that this relates to this situation, but if I was an AD, I would definitely favor hiring and retaining a younger group of coaches. Younger coaches tend to be more driven and passionate. Plus they are less expensive. I think part of the reason X basketball has been successful has been their practice of hiring young coaches. While he's a good coach, hiring someone like Majerus would be too expensive.

I guess that's technically age discrimination. But it's also smart. And that's not to say I don't feel really, really bad for anyone who is fired after 50. But it does seem true that in a lot of professions your value goes down when you reach the age of 50 and it's really important to save as much money possible in preparation for that (definitely true for pro athletes).

xu0niner
06-28-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.goxavier.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/062810aaa.html

And here's the press release.. he is young but I have heard a lot of great things about him. He was the first assistant at Cal Poly when they met X in the first round of the NCAA tourney in 2007.

XU '11
06-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Any word on the incoming recruits? Did anybody decommit?

the_inseparables
06-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Any word on the incoming recruits? Did anybody decommit?
I wonder how the girl from Austin Peay feels that verbaly commited to AP the same day he leaves?

JoMuskie
07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I heard a rumor that one recruit de-committed and is now going to Wisconsin to play.

xu0niner
07-07-2010, 12:21 PM
a xavier recruit? or AP?

the_inseparables
07-07-2010, 12:27 PM
AP i think

xu0niner
07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
hmm well i'm sure it was stressful for her in the past week or so but I can't feel too sorry for her.. something tells me she'll enjoy the big ten just fine

JoMuskie
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
The XU recruit who de-committed was a 2011 OH.

the_inseparables
07-08-2010, 07:41 AM
the_inseparables