Desmond Hubert
Class of 2011'
6-8 195 Lbs
Cream Ridge, New Jersey
New Egypt

Rivals: #7 Center, #54 Overall
Scout: #8 Center
ESPN: #58 Overall

Offers: UConn, Penn State, Pitt, Providence, St. Joes, Villanova, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Xavier

Primary Xavier Recruiter: Orlando Ranson

SixFig
04-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I am not posting premium content below...it is as of 4/20/10 on the front of Musketeerscoop.com. Please don't delete me!

"For a while it seemed that 2011 center Desmond Hubert had slipped off the Xavier radar. However now he is beginning to talk about visits, and which schools he is considering, and the Musketeers seem to be in the mix. "

Doesn't Hubert have a connection to X via Brian Grant or someone? Him and Mikael Hopkins top my wish list to fill the final 2011 scholarship. Go Bino and Mack!

xu95
04-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Brian Grant is his uncle or cousin or something like that. His dad (who I am assuming has the last name of Hubert) also went to Xavier.

If my son was being recruited by Xavier, I would make him go there......unless I had a bad experience as an undergrad.

xu95

DoubleD86
04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
This kid is killing me. When he first was on the radar, I got really excited but he seemed to be moving past Xavier as some top name schools began offering on the coast. I understood and was able to move on, even as he started to get even more recognition nationally. But now, now that he seems to be a premier recruit, he decides to start talking about a visit to Xavier again?

I would love to add this kid with Dee, Dez, and either Jakarr/Dorian. That plus the potential for our 2012 class has me just plain giddy.

kyxu
04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
I would still consider Hubert a bit of a long shot.

PMI
04-21-2010, 04:38 PM
So he's a 6'8" true center? Hope he's not done growing, not to say he can't be great regardless.

smileyy
04-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe he just has a short neck, like Elton Brand and Dwight Howard.

I'm surprised the NBA doesn't measure height at the shoulder. That, combined with wingspan/reach and vertical are actually more important than height.

Xman95
04-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe he just has a short neck, like Elton Brand and Dwight Howard.

I'm surprised the NBA doesn't measure height at the shoulder. That, combined with wingspan/reach and vertical are actually more important than height.

Verne Troyer would actually be 6'9" but he has a short neck.

http://ss.servers.fuel.tv/ugc/fueltved/pictures/UF_38734/preview_url_max_540_Verne_Troyer__c__Christian_Pon della_Red_Bull_jpg.jpg

Benxman
04-24-2010, 07:02 PM
6'8", 195# ???
In order to be rated so high, this guy must be quick as a flash and able to jump out of the gymn. Mack and co. must be going a totally different direction in the post than (can I say his name?) Miller.
What happened to all the 6'10" 230# guys???

smileyy
04-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Kenny Frease is XU's only 6'10"+ recruit in the last long time. 6'8" - 6'9" is much more common.

Derrick Brown came in at 6'7" 190. Josh Duncan was 6'9" 210. Remember that most players don't put on that 20-30 lbs. of muscle until they're in XU's weight program.

Players coming in with a build like Dez Wells are a marked exception.

Benxman
05-16-2010, 11:58 PM
That is true, but as this program continues to grow, we NEED to add some legitimate players 6'10" or higher. One really good big man could take us to the promised land. The elite teams/programs, with few exceptions build around some true height. So, like I said, lets go get us a BIG man. A reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain would be nice. ;)

wkrq59
05-17-2010, 01:42 AM
The reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain would have to be given a deep background check. Remember Wilt's boast that he had over 2,000 or was it 20,000 women. The young man would be welcome, though, but some of the departed blue noses at Xavier would spin in their graves engendering a Poltergeist 22.:logo:

xavierj
05-17-2010, 08:32 AM
That is true, but as this program continues to grow, we NEED to add some legitimate players 6'10" or higher. One really good big man could take us to the promised land. The elite teams/programs, with few exceptions build around some true height. So, like I said, lets go get us a BIG man. A reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain would be nice. ;)

Yeah I know. Butler only got to the Championship game because they had twin towers down low. How did I miss those dominating big guys when Xavier played them earlier in the year?

sash19
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Yeah I know. Butler only got to the Championship game because they had twin towers down low. How did I miss those dominating big guys when Xavier played them earlier in the year?

The problem isnt that X is not recruiting these kids, the problem is that there are few good ones worth recruiting. The ones that are good are scooped up by the Kansas/OSU/Duke/UNC/Texas/Uk's of the world.....We got lucky to land Kenny. The 7 footers that have been good since him are all in the upper eschelon schools....

Anti-Homer
05-17-2010, 08:43 PM

I belive history is overwhelmingly in favor of Benxman's recipe for success.

xunorm
05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
I belive history is overwhelmingly in favor of Benxman's recipe for success.

so North Carolina with their 8 guys at 6'10 or taller made them a high quality team, yet they won the title with Hansbrough and Sean May who are both 6'9. Or how about that 7'8 guy that went to UNC-Asheville. Did he even make the tourney. When Ohio State made the final, they only had Oden on the inside. Florida only had Noah, who might be 6'11. The Fab 5 at Michigan had both Howard and Weber at 6'9.

Just because some teams get most of the big guys doesn't make them successful. If you look at teams in the Sweet 16 this year, not many of them had extremely tall teams: Butler, K-State, X, West Virginia, Washington, Cornell, and Tennessee.

It's much better to have a complete team over a very tall team. Sure it helps to have a seven footer, but that does not equate to success. How did Utah do with Andrew Bogut, Texas with LaMarcus Aldridge, or Stanford with the Lopez twins

You can always find facts to support your argument, X has been very successful with guys 6'9 playing in the post; and if that's what is working, they will only continue to get players that fit the bill and get even better players as they continue this string of successful appearances in the NCAA tourney

BandAid
05-18-2010, 08:45 AM
I'd rather have a 6'9 kid who can jump out of the gym than a 7 footer who can jump like me...

ballyhoohoo
05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I'd rather have a 6'9 kid who can jump out of the gym than a 7 footer who can jump like me...

I would rather have a th 6'9 kids who plays like he is 7' over a kid who is 7' who plays like he is 6'9.

MADXSTER
05-18-2010, 12:15 PM
I would rather have a th 6'9 kids who plays like he is 7' over a kid who is 7' who plays like he is 6'9.

Agree with both of these statements.

Muncie
05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I want a seven footer who can rebound, hit free throws and play D and a 6'9 who can shoot three's, jump out of the gym, is coachable, plays great D, has handles, and passes like Nash.

smileyy
05-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I want a seven footer who can rebound, hit free throws and play D and a 6'9 who can shoot three's, jump out of the gym, is coachable, plays great D, has handles, and passes like Nash.

Xavier wouldn't fare well in the NBA.

muskienick
05-18-2010, 05:29 PM

And I'd like to be the cream filling of an Oreo cookie completed by Halle Berry and Jenna Jameson. But that ain't gonna happen either!

BandAid
05-18-2010, 06:33 PM
And I'd like to be the cream filling of an Oreo cookie completed by Halle Berry and Jenna Jameson. But that ain't gonna happen either!

That doesn't make any sense...

Jenna Jameson isn't black...

Gabrielle Union, Beyonce, Rihanna, Zoe Saldana, or Alicia Keys are my suggested replacements. They're pretty...I'd talk to them.

EDIT: And Ciara.

smileyy
05-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Jenna Jameson isn't black...

Maybe he meant her black little heart?

Xman95
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM

I don't care if you're Ron Jeremy. That's a hot dog down a hallway, my friend.

Benxman
05-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I know it's more fun talking about good looking woman, but getting back to the original topic of this thread, Desmond Hubert, I would love to see X land him. Obviously, looking at the list of teams recruiting him, he has at least some of the attributes you guys mentioned. My point though, was it is a rare player who is 6'8" and skinny who has a major presence in the post at the high D1 level. As to the comments that he will bulk up in X's weight program, Posey never did (although I would love to have a whole team full of Posey's). Some people just don't put on weight, especially when running around and burning calories like you do playing basketball.
I agree with those of you who said we have done all right with 6'9" big men, but I also remember when we played UCLA in the NCAA Trny with Torray Braggs (6'8") and TJ Johnson 6'6" as our bigs. We got blown away.
I'm not saying you can't win it with smaller players, but like one of you said, history shows that my formula for success works. Give me a senior center who is 6'10" or higher and a freshman the same height. Surround them with the kind of bigs like Duncan and Doellman and some smaller guys to handle the ball and then get out of our way!
Go Muskies! :logo:

BandAid
05-21-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.poster.net/berry-halle/berry-halle-photo-xl-halle-berry-6227568.jpg
http://www.bikerfox.com/glamourshots/images/0048.jpg
http://celebritynews.yuddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jenna.jpg

DAMN! I didn't realize how hard it was to find a decent picture of Jenna Jameson with clothes on...

bobbiemcgee
05-21-2010, 08:57 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/446604622_6ab5e44f7e.jpg?v=0

sash19
05-22-2010, 08:08 AM
I know it's more fun talking about good looking woman, but getting back to the original topic of this thread, Desmond Hubert, I would love to see X land him. Obviously, looking at the list of teams recruiting him, he has at least some of the attributes you guys mentioned. My point though, was it is a rare player who is 6'8" and skinny who has a major presence in the post at the high D1 level. As to the comments that he will bulk up in X's weight program, Posey never did (although I would love to have a whole team full of Posey's). Some people just don't put on weight, especially when running around and burning calories like you do playing basketball.
I agree with those of you who said we have done all right with 6'9" big men, but I also remember when we played UCLA in the NCAA Trny with Torray Braggs (6'8") and TJ Johnson 6'6" as our bigs. We got blown away.
I'm not saying you can't win it with smaller players, but like one of you said, history shows that my formula for success works. Give me a senior center who is 6'10" or higher and a freshman the same height. Surround them with the kind of bigs like Duncan and Doellman and some smaller guys to handle the ball and then get out of our way!
Go Muskies! :logo:

Ben:

There is no chance of Xavier landing Desmond. Would be nice but not gonna happen. It will be someone from the list of Jakarr Sampson, Dorian Finney-Smith, Greg Lewis or Robert Goff. At best, 2 from this group would be my guess.

Xman95
05-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Ben:

There is no chance of Xavier landing Desmond. Would be nice but not gonna happen. It will be someone from the list of Jakarr Sampson, Dorian Finney-Smith, Greg Lewis or Robert Goff. At best, 2 from this group would be my guess.

Sash, what are your thoughts on the chances of landing Anthony Davis?

sash19
05-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Sash, what are your thoughts on the chances of landing Anthony Davis?

I would say at best 5% maybe. The kid is being looked at by Kansas, UK, Duke, UNC, etc. He was an unknown who blew up. He is supposed to be making an unofficial but who knows if that will ever even happen. Would be the longest of long shots right now I think. That could change but I doubt it.....If he ever steps foot on campus then that shows that he is truly interested I think.

dmjt4160
05-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Ben:

Finney-Smith will most likely be heading to Virginia Tech. And Greg Lewis will be scratched off of this list as well if Maryland hires Bino. If not Lewis might very well end up a Musketeer.

rickf
05-30-2010, 05:40 PM
What about Bino going to Maryland? Have not seen anything.

dmjt4160
05-30-2010, 06:30 PM
What about Bino going to Maryland? Have not seen anything.

He interviewed and is one of the final 2 candidates for the job along with Chris Caputo.

Masterofreality
05-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Here's a link with some interesting recruiting info too:

Bino (http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/5/28/1492230/gary-williams-and-maryland-still)

"I like Caputo; he's hard-working with good connections in both the DMV and NYC (he played grew up and played HS ball in the Big Apple). The questionable part is that he's at a mid-major, and there's definitely a different talent level and personality in the recruits targeted at both levels. Would that translate? I can't say for sure, but if Caputo's reputation is anything to go by, he'll try his damnedest. Even if it doesn't, it'd be tough to imagine a better young recruiting combo than Caputo and Ehsan; both are hard-working, and Caputo has NY connections while Ehsan does well on the west coast.

Like I said above, though, I'm sure others have interviewed, including Bino Ranson (still my favorite), who has major connections to the area and is widely considered an up-and-comer. For what it's worth, he's Xavier's head recruiter for Desmond Hubert, Mikael Hopkins, and Dorian Finney-Smith, all current Maryland targets. It's probably more likely, though, that the guy that ends up at Maryland isn't listed here; there are just too many potential candidates.
"

SixFig
05-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Wow the Bino news is news to me.

As with Kelsey, J Craw and anyone else in their careers I hope he does what is best for HIM.

xunorm
05-30-2010, 08:15 PM
There's no doubt about it, the staff at X is scary good in terms of coaching and recruiting relationships. It reflects very well on the program when our coaches are mentioned for other positions; just as it is when X players get drafted. Bino had no previous ties to X before he came here, so I feel that he will probably be the first to leave. It's the first time I've heard this news as well.

dmjt4160
05-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Word is that Caputo may lead but that Juan Dixon is pushing hard for Bino. Decision will be made within the next two weeks and possibly as early as the next couple days.

Xman95
05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Word is that Caputo may lead but that Juan Dixon is pushing hard for Bino.

Juan Dixon and Bino are childhood friends (at least I think that's the case).