PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla vs IE

muskienick
04-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Does anybody else out there have problems now and then accessing xavierhoops from Firefox? There have been a number of times recently that I click on the xuhoops link in my favorites window in Firefox, the loading status white rectangle pops up for a second or two and then disappears without taking me to the site. Each time I have had this occur, I've bailed out of Mozilla and cranked up Internet Explorer and xuhoops came up immediately. Same computer, same virus scanning software. Only the browser was different.

Just wondering!

GuyFawkes38
04-18-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure if this is the same problem. But I've had problems closing and opening firefox for a couple years now.

Specifically, when I close firefox, it doesn't really close, even though firefox closes from the screen and taskbar.

So I have to go to windows task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and manually end the program from the "processes" tab, or else it won't open.

I have no idea why this happens (and it seems to happen to a lot of people). ultimately I put up with it, because I like other features of firefox.

wkrq59
04-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Questions: Muskienick and Guy?
1)What kind of OS are you using?
2)If you are using MS-Windows anything, your problem could be viral related even if you have the Norton, McAfee or Sysmantic anti-virus running.
3)If you are running any Microsoft OS, it could be because those systems run proprietary software under your operating system. Any thing they don't like they automatically interfere with and send you a message or just block it.
4)Guy, in particular,. Are you still running the Linux OS disc I gave you?
I forget which one it was. Maybe Mandriva, or PCLinuxOS?
5)I'm now running Linux Ubuntu 9.10 and I seldom have any trouble at all accessing either Xhoops or MM. What I often do is tab browse after I open Firefox. I simply click New Tab and then go to bookmarks and click on either site.
The only time I have ever had a problem accessing either chatboard is a few minutes after a very big Xavier game or when Sean left and the band with is overloaded. But that happens more with MM than XH. However, the the problem corrects itself less than 30 seconds after I try to access.:logo:

joebba
04-18-2010, 06:00 PM
I am running Windows XP and have not had problems with Firefox. I finally made the jump about 1.5 years ago. Windows Explorer is slow. I occasionally need to attempt to reload pages more than once but that could by my IP and not Firefox.

Firefox has an Ad block add on that is terrific at blocking most adds (especially the Flash adds that load automatically.)

I cannot say I can help you diagnose your issues with Firefox. I run a McAffe virus program.

GuyFawkes38
04-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Q, I'm afraid I went back to the dark side. I used PClinux for a while and loved it. Finally my computer went down and got another computer which had a full copy of Windows XP on it.

But I'm still running into problems with it and thinking about loading back my PClinux dvd which you awesomely provided me.

As for Firefox, I think it has been more than 2 years since I've run into problems closing and opening it. Really ever since I made the jump to firefox 4-5 years ago. I've had the same problem on my parents Vista computer.

GuyFawkes38
04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Q, is Ubuntu a big improvement over PClinux?

wkrq59
04-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Q, is Ubuntu a big improvement over PClinux?

Guy,
Oh yeah. Like night and day. BTW. In the 11-12 years that I have been using Linux OS I have never had a virus, a worm, a Trojan Horse and never have seen the BSOD, (Blue Screen of Death) commonly known as a complete crash where you lose everything.
The best part about Ubuntu is all the plug ins, the necessary software to run movies, the Cups drivers for almost any printer, the complete O Office which Microsh!t charges $500 to install and $300 a year for the upgrades and all the music and video plug-ins and even the ability to open and print PDF files no matter how long.
Try it. I do not unfortunately have a disc from my son-in-law. You can either buy a copy of Linux magazine for around $10 and almost always find a disc inside or you can go on line and download the OS. Thing is, when you download from internet, that's it. you can't go back to Bill Gates inferno. I suggest you go to Linux.com (I think that's it or Open Source .com){ and enter the chatrooms. Usually somebody will have a disc they will lend you or give you outright. Then find a geek friend (not me) because James handles all that. Or just run it on the old PC Linux OS for a while. It's the difference between driving a Buick and a 49 Ford.:D

xsteve1
04-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Google Chrome works very well for me.

muskienick
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
q,

Thanks for your insights, what little I could understand of them.

The fact is that xuhoops is the only bookmarked site in Mozilla with which I have experienced the problem. And the other strange thing is that it doesn't occur every time (although it now happens more often than not).

I'm still using Windows XP like I have for many years and this problem only started happening recently. As I said, only xuhoops is affected, only on Firefox, and only some of the time. I am now using Eset Nod32 Antivirus after unsatisfactory stints with McAfee and Avast.

I guess I'll just have to be satisfied using Mozilla for all my other on-line visits and switch over to IE for my daily visits to xuhoops.

GuyFawkes38
04-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Sounds great Q. I was planning on reformatting my hard drive. So I'm going to go ahead and find and install Ubuntu. If for some reason I don't like that, I'm going to reinstall the PClinux you gave me.

yes, Q speaks truth about linux. I only use my home computer for internet access. So I don't have to worry about compatibility issues with programs I own. So it's an especially easy decision.