PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: '10 + '11 player ratings for April 2010

LutherRackleyRulez
04-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Per ESPN......

Class of 2010 --- Top 100...

*** Justin Martin @ 46.....

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100%3f%26season%3d2 010

Class of 2011 ---- Super 60.....

***Darwin Davis @ 59......

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100%3f%26season%3d2 011

D-West & PO-Z
04-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Per ESPN......

Class of 2010 --- Top 100...

*** Justin Martin @ 46.....

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100%3f%26season%3d2 010

Class of 2011 ---- Super 60.....

***Darwin Davis @ 59......

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100%3f%26season%3d2 011

ESPN also ranked the Top 25 team classes. XU was on the list back in September at around 20 but not on their updated list in November and again not in April. OSU has the #1 class according to ESPN.

Xman95
04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
OSU has the #1 class according to ESPN.

Only until Kentucky lands a bunch of the Top 50 that are still unsigned. They'll only be there for a year though, as they'll all go pro. I actually hope Calipari does this every season so within a few years about 5% of his players will graduate and KY will be ineligible for postseason play. Of course the NCAA will realize the KY not being in will cost them money so they'll adopt the 96+1 plan for the tournament, allowing for one exception to the rules.

smileyy
04-11-2010, 01:49 PM
From the article, 9 of the top 50 for this year are unsigned. I'm guessing most of the unsigned are waiting until the 1-and-dones and other draftees make themselves known, so they know where they can play right away.

D-West & PO-Z
04-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Only until Kentucky lands a bunch of the Top 50 that are still unsigned. They'll only be there for a year though, as they'll all go pro. I actually hope Calipari does this every season so within a few years about 5% of his players will graduate and KY will be ineligible for postseason play. Of course the NCAA will realize the KY not being in will cost them money so they'll adopt the 96+1 plan for the tournament, allowing for one exception to the rules.

Probably true. UK only has two guys committed at the moment. Still that has them at #15. And the Turkish Center they have signed scored 34 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the Nike Hoop Summit game last night.

Speaking of the Nike Hoop Summit, SLU's new recruit from New Zealand played in that game but I cannot find a box score anywhere to see how he did. I only found a recap that really only mentioned the Turkish guy in the write up.

Xman95
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Probably true. UK only has two guys committed at the moment. Still that has them at #15. And the Turkish Center they have signed scored 34 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the Nike Hoop Summit game last night.

Oh yeah, Enes Kanter...the kid who has already been paid as a pro (allegedly). Shocking that Calipari winds up with him, huh?

AviatorX
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah, Enes Kanter...the kid who has already been paid as a pro (allegedly). Shocking that Calipari winds up with him, huh?

He's actually been cleared by the NCAA as of a few days ago I believe.

D-West & PO-Z
04-11-2010, 01:59 PM

HAHA.

Of course he has. While Cody Ellis of SLU was forced to wait until January to be cleared by the NCAA for some unknown reason.

Xman95
04-11-2010, 02:09 PM

I thought I saw something that claimed some higher-ups have said he was paid about $600k to play and, should the NCAA ask, the bank statements could be produced. I'm not sure this thing is over yet (of course the NCAA probably won't ask so it might be).

LutherRackleyRulez
04-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I cannot find a box score anywhere to see how he did.

Per USA Basketball....

Game article....

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=10_hsum_game

Boxscore....

http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2010/10_hsum_box.pdf

D-West & PO-Z
04-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Per USA Basketball....

Game article....

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=10_hsum_game

Boxscore....

http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2010/10_hsum_box.pdf

Thanks. Reps to you.

DoubleD86
04-11-2010, 09:57 PM

He was not allegedly paid as a pro, if I am not mistaken. What he did was play semi pro with a player that was paid. This used to mean every player who played with that pro (in this case it would be Kanter, last year I believe this meant Ellis and that kid from West Virginia, also Adam H.) but that rule is changed effective next year. Now, players are only judged on their amateur status by whether or not they were paid, not whether or not someone in a game they played were paid.

Kanter is, by all accounts I have read (including before he committed to UK) perfectly clean and just lucky that he starts in the first class that is no longer affected by that awful, awful rule.

Edit: However, Calipari still sucks....

Juice
04-11-2010, 10:05 PM
He was not allegedly paid as a pro, if I am not mistaken. What he did was play semi pro with a player that was paid. This used to mean every player who played with that pro (in this case it would be Kanter, last year I believe this meant Ellis and that kid from West Virginia, also Adam H.) but that rule is changed effective next year. Now, players are only judged on their amateur status by whether or not they were paid, not whether or not someone in a game they played were paid.

Kanter is, by all accounts I have read (including before he committed to UK) perfectly clean and just lucky that he starts in the first class that is no longer affected by that awful, awful rule.

Huggs lost a guy for 20 games this season for that rule. If the rule hurts Huggs and Calipari I am all for it.

Xman95
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM

The original issue was definitely that he played with the pro player(s). But it seems there might be more to the story, including the possibility that he was actually paid. l have to see if I can find what I saw regarding Kanter and the $$$. I want to say B.Snow put it out there, but I'm not positive (it was one of the college b-ball guys).

bobbiemcgee
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Not to mention the #11 SF Dez Wells, see these comments - haha

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=96330&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d963 30%26season%3d2011

DoubleD86
04-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Huggs lost a guy for 20 games this season for that rule. If the rule hurts Huggs and Calipari I am all for it.

Ha, while I agree, it was a bad rule. It punished plenty of kids who did not deserve it just because they played in a game with a player who was paid. I for one am very happy it has been changed (not that it in any way directly affects me or Xavier, I just think the new rule is much better).

The original issue was definitely that he played with the pro player(s). But it seems there might be more to the story, including the possibility that he was actually paid. l have to see if I can find what I saw regarding Kanter and the $$$. I want to say B.Snow put it out there, but I'm not positive (it was one of the college b-ball guys).

Wow, did not know this. If this is true that would be killer to UK next year. Everything I have heard/read/seen makes me think Kanter will be a big time player next year. If you do find that quote/link please share it. I was really hoping he would go anywhere but UK, but I am excited to watch the kid play.

By the way, I LOVE that it is prime recruiting season!

ballyhoohoo
04-12-2010, 07:07 AM

Did Kentucky offer higher pay, better benifits, or a high 401K match?

KabeX
04-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Not to mention the #11 SF Dez Wells, see these comments - haha

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=96330&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d963 30%26season%3d2011
Did Wells just grow 2 inches? Everything I've read up til now listed him at 6'3".

SixFig
04-12-2010, 06:35 PM

A real Tweet from Calipari:

Long weekend recruiting and the signing period approaches. Time to add some players to the 2010-11 roster.

Is this guy serious? What is this MLB free agency? You create and develop a program by recruiting and DEVELOPING players.

Calipari coaching is an INSULT to the integrity and the spirit of college basketball.

F him.

AviatorX
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I certainly don't like Kentucky, but some of the unbridled hate here and elsewhere on the Internet puzzles me.

The amount of talent Calipari is able to load onto one team and manage is admirable, in my opinion, and while the guy is definitely shady, winning is winning, and that's what the fans want.

smileyy
04-12-2010, 06:49 PM
The amount of talent Calipari is able to load onto one team and manage is admirable, in my opinion, and while the guy is definitely shady, winning is winning, and that's what the fans want.

My problem is that the NCAA punishes the wrong people, and in the wrong ways. No one cares that UMass' and Memphis' Final Fours were stricken from the records -- they still got to enjoy them.

If, say, Memphis got to enjoy the fruits of an ineligible player for an entire season, then take away their next season in some form or another. Be it scholarships, postseason ban, or even a 1-year death penalty.

danaandvictory
04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Calipari is pretty great at the basketball part, the college part...not so much. I think he's too much of a coward to actually go win championships with real pros in the NBA, so he effectively runs a D-League team while everyone else is at least paying lip service to education. Calipari can eat a BOD.

DoubleD86
04-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Calipari is pretty great at the basketball part, the college part...not so much. I think he's too much of a coward to actually go win championships with real pros in the NBA, so he effectively runs a D-League team while everyone else is at least paying lip service to education. Calipari can eat a BOD.

Maybe I am mistaken, but didn't Calipari make the jump to the NBA already? How can one be too much of a coward to do something he already did? Also, how easy is it to sling crap at someone by accusing him of being a coward for not giving up what they enjoy and are good at? He is a coward because he is happy where he is and enjoys what he is doing? Is Coach K also a coward? Or Self? Roy? None of them have even tried to go to the NBA, yet Calipari is the coward?

I understand the hate for Calipari, and I also hate Calipari, but some of these comments don't make sense. For the person who posted his tweet and got upset about it, what is he supposed to say? "Damn, 5 guys from my team are entering NBA and I am losing 8-10 players. Well, no need to go get more players for next year's roster, let's just play with what we have."

Hate the man all you want, but let's be reasonable in what we find "insulting" or "cowardly" in his actions. He gives us plenty to hate without making up things.

SixFig
04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I understand the hate for Calipari, and I also hate Calipari, but some of these comments don't make sense. For the person who posted his tweet and got upset about it, what is he supposed to say? "Damn, 5 guys from my team are entering NBA and I am losing 8-10 players. Well, no need to go get more players for next year's roster, let's just play with what we have."

I see what you are saying, but it just isn't right to be able to reload your entire team every year. In his tweet he is just so damn cavalier about it "Yeah I brought in a NBADL team and lost it but now at the last minute I'm just gonna stock up with one and done's no problem. I have no respect for the education my players are supposed to get...it's all about stocking the roster with talent"

My blood is boiling just thinking about the guy

AviatorX
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Whether it's politically correct to say or not, in my mind, there is no doubt that at the highest level of revenue NCAA Divison 1 sports, winning is everything, and in a lot of cases, academics do take a clear backseat. We all know it, so why not just accept it?

D-West & PO-Z
04-12-2010, 09:42 PM
The point is the guy has TWO first al fours vacated at TWO different schools yet he faces no consequences personally. He is a scumbag who surronds himself and his programs around shady people. I am not a Bob Knight fan but when he called out Cal early in the seasonit was great.

AviatorX
04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
The point is the guy has TWO first al fours vacated at TWO different schools yet he faces no consequences personally. He is a scumbag who surronds himself and his programs around shady people. I am not a Bob Knight fan but when he called out Cal early in the seasonit was great.

Oh I'm not saying he isn't a snake, that much is obvious. But that doesn't mean every move he makes is cheap, and it sounds like Kanter is eligible thanks to a new, sensible rule, and he would be eligible whether he was going to play for UK or EKU.

danaandvictory
04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Maybe I am mistaken, but didn't Calipari make the jump to the NBA already? How can one be too much of a coward to do something he already did?.

He went to the NBA and failed. That's the point. He prefers to coach at a lower level and take advantage of the system to obtain an advantage over his competitors, the vast majority of whom operate at a disadvantage because they care (to varying degrees) about academics.

Unlike Cal, Self and Krzyzewski actually run basketball programs. They don't get caught cheating, they don't travel the country one step ahead of the NCAA investigators. They are college coaches, not NBA wannabes hiding out in the college game because they couldn't hack it in the pros.

[I'm not 100% serious here, by the way.]

smileyy
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
When Cal leaves Kentucky, there will be a cloud of suspicion behind him at the very least. Vacated wins or other punishments wouldn't surprise me at all. You know, along with a Final Four or two. And Kentucky's fanbase and boosters won't care one bit about the violations.

AviatorX
04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
When Cal leaves Kentucky, there will be a cloud of suspicion behind him at the very least. Vacated wins or other punishments wouldn't surprise me at all. You know, along with a Final Four or two. And Kentucky's fanbase and boosters won't care one bit about the violations.

Hypothetically would we care if the same thing went down at Xavier?

SlimKibbles
04-12-2010, 10:36 PM

Exactly. All they care about is being #1 and winning. They could care less about the student-athletes. They know they are dancing with the devil. As long as they are back on top, that is all that matters.

I know you're asking hypothetically, but I think we'd care. I'd never want someone coaching this team and program like Teflon John, Kelvin Sampson, or Jim Harrick.

D-West & PO-Z
04-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Absolutely. At least I would.

LutherRackleyRulez
04-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Per ESPN......

ESPN Terrific 25 ---- Class of 2012....

***XU Target: D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera @ #24........

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&season=2012

kyxu
04-13-2010, 05:27 AM

Absolutely.

xunorm
04-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Per ESPN......

And target AJ Hammons comes in at #14 as well. The 2012 class in Indiana is completely loaded.

Xman95
04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
And target AJ Hammons comes in at #14 as well. The 2012 class in Indiana is completely loaded.

So all we need is for Mack to lock up Jakarr Sampson (to go with Davis and Wells), then grab Hammons and Smith-Rivera in the 2012 Class. We could have a starting five out of just those guys. That's not asking too much, is it?!?

Masterofreality
04-13-2010, 08:20 AM

Hell yeah, I'd care........A lot.

Xavier is more than being about basketball wins. It's about ethics, integrity and doing right things. I also happen to believe that how we do things is a recruiting draw to players and their families. If X ever changed, then we are nothing more than just another place in the college basketball morrass.

If I ever believed that any part of the ethics and integrity were compromised to win basketball games, my checks would stop being written because the moral compass would have disappeared. If we never make a Final 4 because we would have always stuck to our principles, I'm OK with that.

Call me naive, but I still believe we can have it all- ethics and success.

bmblue
04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
How come we aren't talking about Mikael Hopkins out of Baltimore? We are in his top 5. He is by far the highest rated recruit we are currently involved with in the 2011 class. Higher than sampson. Higher than even davis and wells. Anyone with any information on him? They have us listed with Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. Sounds like the same teams we beat out for Latham...

PMI
04-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Hopkins is from Hyattsville actually, in the DC area. He's really talented but still raw in my opinion. From what I understand people highly expect him to stay local and be a Terp or a Hoya, but he would be a great addition for us. Really good player but I honestly don't see him in a Xavier uniform. I'd be happy to be wrong about that though.

Masterofreality
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Sometimes, the more quiet, the better.

smileyy
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Xavier is more than being about basketball wins. It's about ethics, integrity and doing right things. I also happen to believe that how we do things is a recruiting draw to players and their families. If X ever changed, then we are nothing more than just another place in the college basketball morrass.

I have no doubt that XU's strict academic requirements has been appealing to recruits...well, maybe a recruit's parents more than the recruit himself.

bobbiemcgee
04-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Per ESPN......

Pulling in DSR may be too much for my old brain to comprehend.
It may explode.

D-West & PO-Z
04-14-2010, 04:30 PM

Doug Gottlieb had this comment about Kanter:

"If -- and it's a big if -- Enes Kanter plays next year for Kentucky, Big Blue might forget the name DeMarcus Cousins. Kanter, who most people I talk to consider the best prep talent in the country, probably will sit an extended amount of time because of eligibility issues from his days playing in Turkey. But if he can get in 10-15 games next season, his basketball IQ and on-court talent will amaze."

That was posted two days ago. I dont think that dude is in the clear yet.

DoubleD86
04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Doug Gottlieb had this comment about Kanter:

"If -- and it's a big if -- Enes Kanter plays next year for Kentucky, Big Blue might forget the name DeMarcus Cousins. Kanter, who most people I talk to consider the best prep talent in the country, probably will sit an extended amount of time because of eligibility issues from his days playing in Turkey. But if he can get in 10-15 games next season, his basketball IQ and on-court talent will amaze."

That was posted two days ago. I dont think that dude is in the clear yet.

Fair enough. I haven't seen anything that explicitly has allegations about him taking money. However, guys like Gottlieb usually know a lot better than I do so I guess it will be interesting to see how it ends up. I hope for the kids sake things work out. I hope for Cal's sake they don't.

Xman95
04-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Kanter confirmed today that he has been cleared academically. I think the emphasis should be on the "academically" part.