PDA

View Full Version : Topps- Giving back the cards mom threw away

Jumpy
04-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.toppscards.com/

Heard about it during today's Reds pregame. Basically, Topps is giving away 1 million authentic past cards from their archives. They've even gone so far as to buy back some of the rarer cards to give away. The guy on the radio said that they are giving away two Mantle rookie cards in this promotion.

Basically, 1 in 6 packs contains a special card with a code on it. Get the card, put the code on the net and it tells you which of the cards you won. Youthen have the choice to have them mail it to you or put it up on the trade block for another card.

Pretty cool if you ask me. I went to Amazon and bought a box of cards. Get to relive a treasured part of my youth and possibly hit the jackpot by winning a valuable rare card to boot.

Kahns Krazy
04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I have a box of baseball cards in my basement. Around 1990, I sold a number of my more valuable cards. It was one of my best financial moves ever. I remember specifically selling 3 Wade Boggs rookie cards for $40 each. They sell on ebay now for about 3 bucks.

blobfan
04-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I did hear about that but am not a very good collector. My father-in-law is seriously into baseball cards. I wonder if he'll be buying some extra packs. I hope they hold their value because if he goes first we're going to need something to support my mother-in-law with. I still think the stock market is a better investment, even given what happened the past couple years.

I love the nostalgia aspect of it though. I'm a sucker for things that remind me of my childhood.

PM Thor
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Ugh. You wanna talk about cards mothers threw away?

Every year, my Grandfahter would give me a Reds team set of cards for my birthday. He did it from my first birthday to my eighteenth. Every 5 years I got the ENTIRE set. I really had no interest in them growing up, never opened them, just kept them in a corner in the closet. My older brothers made sure that nothing happened to them either.

When I moved to X, I thought the best thing to do was to leave them at home for safekeeping. My mother, who is a HUGE baseball fan, for some reason thought it would be ok to donate them to Goodwill because I didn't take them with me.

All gone. Just the idea of having those cards back haunts me to this day.

I HATE dayton.

XUOWNSUC
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.toppscards.com/

Heard about it during today's Reds pregame. Basically, Topps is giving away 1 million authentic past cards from their archives. They've even gone so far as to buy back some of the rarer cards to give away. The guy on the radio said that they are giving away two Mantle rookie cards in this promotion.

Basically, 1 in 6 packs contains a special card with a code on it. Get the card, put the code on the net and it tells you which of the cards you won. Youthen have the choice to have them mail it to you or put it up on the trade block for another card.

Pretty cool if you ask me. I went to Amazon and bought a box of cards. Get to relive a treasured part of my youth and possibly hit the jackpot by winning a valuable rare card to boot.

I bought a box too - mainly because of the promotion. I got several decent cards (some of them were from 1959 but none of them were worth much) and parlayed those into a 1966 Joe Nuxhall card and a Barry Larkin 1987 card (his rookie card).

Pretty cool promotion. The marketing worked - it got me to buy a box.

I collected baseball cards from 1988 to 1990 - pretty much the same time when the baseball card companies mass produced the cards - so none of my collection is rare or worth anything. But I sure have good memories of putting the sets together.

Jumpy
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I collected heavily for about 5 years in the prime of my youth, 8-13. My uncle was a big time collector and would give me and my brothers a complete topps set every year. Years after I stopped collecting, my aunt (who was a manager at Walgreens at the time) found a bunch of 1989 Upper Deck complete sets forgotten in the back of the store. I snatched one up quickly because that was Jr.'s rookie year and that card alone is worth about $500 if you make the effort to get it graded.

Card collecting is a weird hobby. When it hit it's prime in the 80's and 90's, there were so many companies pumping out so many cards that they became devalued. It seems like that spurred the defection of many collectors, which caused the closing of many card companies. Now that there are very few companies, cards are becoming rare again and the hobby is gaining momentum once more.

Kahns Krazy
04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Card collecting is a weird hobby. ...

Really, anything collecting is a weird hobby.

gladdenguy
04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah,
Collecting baseball cards was an obsession for me.
I used to lay them out in lineups on my floor just like a baseball diamond.
On the westside Ideal Baseball Cards and Howie's Baseball Cards were hot back in the day.
I still can't believe those were businesses centered around baseball cards.
Beckett magazines were also great for me. I couldn't wait to see that arrow pointing up next to the price of a card I had.

X-band '01
04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, it gave me goosebumps when my 1990 Wes Chamberlain card would go up from 3 cents to 4 cents. That was epic back in the day.

THRILLHOUSE
04-09-2010, 06:30 PM

This intrigues me. Used to love collecting baseball, football and basketball cards as a kid. Is this the box you bought off amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Topps-Baseball-Factory-Sealed-Commemorative/dp/B00362KKDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1270855739&sr=8-1

Jumpy
04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
This is the one I bought. With it, you are guaranteed 4 of those millio card giveaway codes.

http://www.amazon.com/Topps-2010-MLB-Retail-Packs/dp/B0035Y55OY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1270995376&sr=1-2

I got my box yesterday and got an '88 Don Mattingly record breakers card, a '76 mickey lolich card, a '61 J.C. Martin rookie card and a '09 Casey Blake card.

XUOWNSUC
04-11-2010, 10:37 AM
This is the one I bought. With it, you are guaranteed 4 of those millio card giveaway codes.

http://www.amazon.com/Topps-2010-MLB-Retail-Packs/dp/B0035Y55OY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1270995376&sr=1-2

I got my box yesterday and got an '88 Don Mattingly record breakers card, a '76 mickey lolich card, a '61 J.C. Martin rookie card and a '09 Casey Blake card.

Now you got to trade them to get the cards that you want. Let me know what you end up with.

X-band '01
04-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Turn Back The Clock cards were probably the best of the special edition Topps cards. Each year they had 5 such cards - one was 5 years prior, the 2nd one 10 years, and so on.