PDA

View Full Version : guam might tip over...

xubrew
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
i don't know if i should laugh or cry when elected officials, particularly senators, act so foolishly and say things that are so stupid. i know i always DO laugh. i just wonder if i SHOULD laugh.

senator hank johnson of georgia is worried guam will tip over if more military personnel were to be stationed there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

boozehound
04-06-2010, 12:50 PM
That is pretty amazing, and it says more than I ever could about the state of politics and the quality of elected officials in our country. We are in for some rough times, I am afriad.

SixFig
04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
That video clip hurt my brain.

I love the soldiers response "uuuuuhhhh we don't anticipate that"

boozehound
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
That video clip hurt my brain.

I love the soldiers response "uuuuuhhhh we don't anticipate that"

Yeah. What do you really say to that? How do you respond? Also, the guy sounded like he was high out of his mind.

xubrew
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah. What do you really say to that? How do you respond? Also, the guy sounded like he was high out of his mind.

after saying something so assinine, i'd almost prefer it if he was.

boozehound
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
after saying something so assinine, i'd almost prefer it if he was.

Good point. I don't know which I would prefer. They should just be able to remove him from office for making a comment that dumb. No questions asked. Gone.

Honestly, how hard do you think it was for the Navy guy not to call him out on that? Do you think he realized the stupidity of it right away, or did it take a few minutes to sink in.

I want to see an interview with the Naval officer!

boozehound
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
By the way... Here is this guy's explanation:

The congressman released a statement dismissing the ridicule he received for his comment: "The subtle humor of this obviously metaphorical reference to a ship capsizing illustrated my concern about the impact of the planned military buildup on this small tropical island," he said.

Apparently it was a joke...

Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001686-503544.html

SixFig
04-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Dear Good Citizens of Georgia,

Vote this assclown out of office.

Yours,
Sane people everywhere

xubrew
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
i wanted to go to florida on vacation this summer. now i'm a little concerned. if everyone were to suddenly stand at one end of the state, we all might go down.

fwiw, i did not pick up at all on the attempt at humor. i don't know who his advisors are, but i'm sure that's something they came up with after the fact. maybe he was joking. i hope he was. he's either extremely stupid, or extremely bad at telling jokes and just moderatley stupid.

boozehound
04-06-2010, 01:13 PM
i wanted to go to florida on vacation this summer. now i'm a little concerned. if everyone were to suddenly stand at one end of the state, we all might go down.

fwiw, i did not pick up at all on the attempt at humor. i don't know who his advisors are, but i'm sure that's something they came up with after the fact. maybe he was joking. i hope he was. he's either extremely stupid, or extremely bad at telling jokes and just moderatley stupid.

I would put odds at less than 1% that it was actually intended to be a joke. He didn't laugh, or so much as crack a smile. It was not a joke.

Somebody is doing damage control and saying that it was a joke was the best thing that they could think of.

chico
04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
By the way... Here is this guy's explanation:

The congressman released a statement dismissing the ridicule he received for his comment: "The subtle humor of this obviously metaphorical reference to a ship capsizing illustrated my concern about the impact of the planned military buildup on this small tropical island," he said.

Apparently it was a joke...

Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001686-503544.html

Oh, it was a joke all right.

BandAid
04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Oh, it was a joke all right.

Wait. So our military guys aren't going to tip Guam over?

chico
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Wait. So our military guys aren't going to tip Guam over?

I think what he really meant is that there is concern the military will over-tip, not that they will tip over Guam. Anything over 20% is just too much unless you get exceptional service.

DC Muskie
04-06-2010, 02:56 PM
i don't know if i should laugh or cry when elected officials, particularly senators, act so foolishly and say things that are so stupid. i know i always DO laugh. i just wonder if i SHOULD laugh.

senator hank johnson of georgia is worried guam will tip over if more military personnel were to be stationed there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

Not to pick on you brew, but you might want to get a little known fact straight before you start slamming elected officials.

Hank Johnson is not a Senator. He's the representative of the 4th district of Georgia.

If you know anything about Congress, the people in the House are about as moronic as it gets. That's why it's called "junior High" out here.

XUglow
04-06-2010, 03:27 PM
The Dane's son landed in Guam on Sunday for a month of training before heading out to Qatar. He said that the gift shop has Tipping Over Insurance for sale. Any personal items lost due to the island tipping over are fully covered. There is no deductible.

SixFig
04-06-2010, 03:33 PM
It might really tip over if Majerus starts recruiting there too.

ZING!

Jumpy
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
OLD!

http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14906

Just kidding. I wanted to see what it felt like to be one of those jackass web nazis. It feels kinda good.

Smooth
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Does Guam have any oil or precious metals? Tipping it over would make them more accessible. Just a thought.

MADXSTER
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
This just in.....Hank Johnson wants all Marines to stop doing jumping jacks.

Marines are stationed throughout the world. Earthquakes have benn happening all around the world. As they do jumping jacks in unison, the marines very well may be causing earthquakes around the globe. And this could create problems with the environment and stuff.

;)

bobbiemcgee
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
He's auditoning for Lost II.

MADXSTER
04-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Someone needs to inform Mr Johnson that the deepest part of the ocean is only about 7 miles deep. Thus the island, being 24 miles long could not tip and capsize. Duh!

Strange Brew
04-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Someone needs to inform Mr Johnson that the deepest part of the ocean is only about 7 miles deep. Thus the island, being 24 miles long could not tip and capsize. Duh!

Xster, that is at current levels. You're discounting the affects of the coming polar ice melt. :rolleyes:

BandAid
04-14-2010, 08:42 AM

Xster, that is at current levels. You're discounting the affects of the coming polar ice melt. :rolleyes:

My head is splodin with all this math and science stuff! Thank goodnes I have Congress to take care of me...

MADXSTER
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
My head is splodin with all this math and science stuff! Thank goodnes I have Congress to take care of me...

We'll let Mr. Hank Johnson take care of you since he has a handle on the situation. :D