PDA

View Full Version : Decourcy Loves the Bearkittens

gladdenguy
03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
http://http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20100305?sub_id=HDiRhhSTr08V&folio=CGI#pg23

Decourcy is a huge UC apologist.
The Big East is soooooo great. You play a tournament team every game...blah blah blah.
UC fans can not bitch because they have had plenty of chances to grab a bid but have shit the bed, lost 7 of 10 and lost at Seton Hall, St. Johns, South Florida, and Marquette at home.
Win a couple of those and theyd be in. Instead, they lost all of those and lack a good win in the conference. UConn has also shit the bed so those two wins are no longer top 50 wins.
Decourcy is gay.

GoMuskies
03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
It will be very amusing if the Big East bombs in the Big Dance. VERY possible.

_LH
03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
What are the most losses a team has had that got an at large bid? I know teams with 14 losses get auto bids every so often but what about at large teams?

xavierj
03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
http://http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20100305?sub_id=HDiRhhSTr08V&folio=CGI#pg23

Decourcy is a huge UC apologist.
The Big East is soooooo great. You play a tournament team every game...blah blah blah.
UC fans can not bitch because they have had plenty of chances to grab a bid but have shit the bed, lost 7 of 10 and lost at Seton Hall, St. Johns, South Florida, and Marquette at home.
Win a couple of those and theyd be in. Instead, they lost all of those and lack a good win in the conference. UConn has also shit the bed so those two wins are no longer top 50 wins.
Decourcy is gay.

Didn't know DePaul, Rutgers and Providence were tournament teams.

Mick also said yesterday that all they need to do is beat Georgetown and win two games in NY and they will be in. Problem is Mick forgot that he has a 4-24 record from Feb. 14th on since he has been at U Cliff and he has yet to win a game in March. So now he believes he somehow can win 3 straight games in March? Guy is as delusional as Dayton fans.

xavierj
03-05-2010, 09:42 AM
What are the most losses a team has had that got an at large bid? I know teams with 14 losses get auto bids every so often but what about at large teams?

I know Georgia got in a while back with like a 17-14 record or something like that, but they had the #1 SOS that year and had about 7 or 8 top 50 wins. Arizona got in last year with a 19-14 record. But teams that lose 10 or 11 games in their own conference have about a 1% chance to make it.

Lamont Sanford
03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
GG -

TSNMike is doing X fans a service by supporting YTG...we need to keep the lil guy employed at UC as long as possible. Perhaps we can convince him to write a glowing article on the Cryers misfortunes as well. We need to keep BG around as long as possible too.

_LH
03-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I know Georgia got in a while back with like a 17-14 record or something like that, but they had the #1 SOS that year and had about 7 or 8 top 50 wins. Arizona got in last year with a 19-14 record. But teams that lose 10 or 11 games in their own conference have about a 1% chance to make it.

So 14 losses looks like the max a team could have to get an at large bid, at least historically. Even 14 is too many for an at large in my opinion. The committee needs to do a better job finding more unknown teams that actually win a lot more than they lose.

Also, I have seen mock brackets with Pitt as a 3 seed and Butler as a 6 seed. That's a joke.

GoMuskies
03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Also, I have seen mock brackets with Pitt as a 3 seed and Butler as a 6 seed. That's a joke.

Butler would probably be okay with that as long as they are in the same region together.

MHettel
03-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Georgia got an autobid that year. We played them as a 3, they were a 14.

_LH
03-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Butler would probably be okay with that as long as they are in the same region together.

XU would as well but it is a total lack of respect and knowledge. Butler is a better team than Pitt.

_LH
03-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Georgia got an autobid that year. We played them as a 3, they were a 14.

Georgia did get an at large bid one year under Jim Heritic when they had like 13-15 losses.

The_Mack_Pack
03-05-2010, 10:10 AM
The day UC wins two games in the BE tournament is the day Dayton lives up to expectations.

danaandvictory
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Georgia did get an at large bid one year under Jim Heritic when they had like 13-15 losses.

They were 16-14 in 2000-01 and got an 8 seed owing to their ridiculous strength of schedule and probably huge sums of money changing hands.

XUOWNSUC
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
The day UC wins two games in the BE tournament is the day Dayton lives up to expectations.

They haven't won one since joining the league.

X-band '01
03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
UConn can get by if they go 8-10 in the Big East, but 7-11 just won't cut it. You'd better have a trump card in your hand (big win(s), road wins, Top 25/50 RPI wins) if you want to go to the NCAAs with a losing record.

And they better hope teams like Northern Iowa and Butler win their conference tournaments over the next couple of days.

xu05usmc
03-06-2010, 07:24 AM
To be entirely honest, I thought DeCourcy raised a few good points. He did concede a few things:

1. Big 12 is better, but Big East is deeper
2. UC played a lot of games aginst top 100 teams, but didn't win enough to be considered for the tournament.
3. There are a lot of tough games in the Big East.

I think generally we should all be able to agree with those basic principles.

xavierj
03-06-2010, 07:58 AM
To be entirely honest, I thought DeCourcy raised a few good points. He did concede a few things:

1. Big 12 is better, but Big East is deeper
2. UC played a lot of games aginst top 100 teams, but didn't win enough to be considered for the tournament.
3. There are a lot of tough games in the Big East.

I think generally we should all be able to agree with those basic principles.

The Big East is deeper? I don't know about that. People think that just because teams win in the Big East and did absolutely nothing in the non-conference they are somehow good. Take ND for example. They are a bad basketball team who lost by 10 on their home floor to Loyola Marymount yet they are 10-8 in the Big East so people think they are good. Pitt is very mediocre this year and did nothing in the non-conference yet people think they are good because they play in the big east. Louisville is not very good having got drilled at home by Western Carolina and lost at home to Charlotte by 20, but people just assume they are good because they play in the big east.

The Big East basically has 4 ranked teams out of 16 and people act like they are a mini version of the NBA. The A-10 has 3 ranked teams (should have been 4 had Dayton not shit down their leg) out of 13 and people act like they are conference of high school teams.

The way I see it, the Big East has three really good teams, Syracuse, WVU and Nova.
Then you have DePaul and Rutgers who are just awful and the middle of the pack, UC, South Florida, St. John's, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Georgetown, UCONN, Louisville, ND and Pitt which are about the equal of conference USA.

Then you say UC has played a lot of games against top 100 teams. Well so has has St. Joe's and Duquesne, beat someone. UC is 6-13 against top 100 teams, Xavier is 10-7. There is a big difference. UC has 9 of their 16 wins against teams rated higher than 150 in the RPI, 5 of those wins are against teams with RPI's higher than 200. That is solid. Guy deserves a lifetime contract. When will people admit that UC was better off in CUSA and when will they stop making freaking excuses?

It's great that everyone loves to point out how great the Big East is, blah, blah, blah. But if you cannot win why even play in the league? As long as UC is in the Big East they will be like Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence, DePaul and South Florida and that means they will be irrelevant. But at least you will have the excuses.

So no I do not agree agree with those basic principles and I do not let the biased media form my opinions.

Masterofreality
03-06-2010, 08:13 AM
The Big East is deeper? I don't know about that. People think that just because teams win in the Big East and did absolutely nothing in the non-conference they are somehow good. Take ND for example. They are a bad basketball team who lost by 10 on their home floor to Loyola Marymount yet they are 10-8 in the Big East so people think they are good. Pitt is very mediocre this year and did nothing in the non-conference yet people think they are good because they play in the big east. Louisville is not very good having got drilled at home by Western Carolina and lost at home to Charlotte by 20, but people just assume they are good because they play in the big east.

The Big East basically has 4 ranked teams out of 16 and people act like they are a mini version of the NBA. The A-10 has 3 ranked teams (should have been 4 had Dayton not shit down their leg) out of 13 and people act like they are conference of high school teams.

The way I see it, the Big East has three really good teams, Syracuse, WVU and Nova.
Then you have DePaul and Rutgers who are just awful and the middle of the pack, UC, South Florida, St. John's, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Georgetown, UCONN, Louisville, ND and Pitt which are about the equal of conference USA.

Then you say UC has played a lot of games against top 100 teams. Well so has has St. Joe's and Duquesne, beat someone. UC is 6-13 against top 100 teams, Xavier is 10-7. There is a big difference. UC has 9 of their 16 wins against teams rated higher than 150 in the RPI, 5 of those wins are against teams with RPI's higher than 200. That is solid. Guy deserves a lifetime contract. When will people admit that UC was better off in CUSA and when will they stop making freaking excuses?

It's great that everyone loves to point out how great the Big East is, blah, blah, blah. But if you cannot win why even play in the league? As long as UC is in the Big East they will be like Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence, DePaul and South Florida and that means they will be irrelevant. But at least you will have the excuses.

So no I do not agree agree with those basic principles and I do not let the biased media form my opinions.

Word!

When the Big Greased starts really playing road games in the non-conference and wins some of those, I'll be more of a believer. Because of B-Espn wanting their meal ticket to be percieved as good, the league gets a pass with the non-con games (stuff like Not-re Dame losing to Loyola Marymount at home by 10 is swept under the rug), then they start playing each other with these inflated records and it's "OH! THE LEAGUE IS SUCH A MEATGRINDER!!!

BTW. Dookcane had Pitt beat, until they just absolutely choked from the foul line in the last minute then choked even more in OT.

xu05usmc
03-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Word!

When the Big Greased starts really playing road games in the non-conference and wins some of those, I'll be more of a believer. Because of B-Espn wanting their meal ticket to be percieved as good, the league gets a pass with the non-con games (stuff like Not-re Dame losing to Loyola Marymount at home by 10 is swept under the rug), then they start playing each other with these inflated records and it's "OH! THE LEAGUE IS SUCH A MEATGRINDER!!!

BTW. Dookcane had Pitt beat, until they just absolutely choked from the foul line in the last minute then choked even more in OT.

I understand your arguments on ND, Pitt, and Louisville. (I just looked it up and ND lost by 2 at home LM, not 10). But this disregards the possibility that any of these teams improved over the course of the year. Pitt had to replace Blair/Fields/Young/Biggs from last year, so it should have been expected that they may struggle early. Same with Louisville and Clark/Williams. Our own team struggled early this season from having to replace Brown/Anderson/Raymond. Given another opportunity now I say our guys fair much better against Marquette or Baylor.

However a team losing to another is not necessarily an indication of that team's superiority to the other, and can be treated as a statistical aberration. Look at at South Carolina's win over Kentucky earlier in the year. Say the second game never happened, would the first win be substantial evidence of SC's superiority over UK? Probably not. Every team loses games they should have won, and win a few they should have lost (except UC who loses regardless).

The depth argument of Big East v. Big XII can be pronounced in through NIT-ology. (http://nitology.com/) They list BE with 8 NCAA tournament bids and then 5 NIT bids, for a total of 13 post season participants. The Big XII has 7 NCAA bids with 1 NIT bid, for 8 post season participants. Based on the logic garnered from this I think it is safe to say the Big East is probably the deepest conference in the nation, which is different from saying the best. But who cares, no one else on this board will admit to anything positive about that conference.

xavierj
03-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I understand your arguments on ND, Pitt, and Louisville. (I just looked it up and ND lost by 2 at home LM, not 10). But this disregards the possibility that any of these teams improved over the course of the year. Pitt had to replace Blair/Fields/Young/Biggs from last year, so it should have been expected that they may struggle early. Same with Louisville and Clark/Williams. Our own team struggled early this season from having to replace Brown/Anderson/Raymond. Given another opportunity now I say our guys fair much better against Marquette or Baylor.

However a team losing to another is not necessarily an indication of that team's superiority to the other, and can be treated as a statistical aberration. Look at at South Carolina's win over Kentucky earlier in the year. Say the second game never happened, would the first win be substantial evidence of SC's superiority over UK? Probably not. Every team loses games they should have won, and win a few they should have lost (except UC who loses regardless).

The depth argument of Big East v. Big XII can be pronounced in through NIT-ology. (http://nitology.com/) They list BE with 8 NCAA tournament bids and then 5 NIT bids, for a total of 13 post season participants. The Big XII has 7 NCAA bids with 1 NIT bid, for 8 post season participants. Based on the logic garnered from this I think it is safe to say the Big East is probably the deepest conference in the nation, which is different from saying the best. But who cares, no one else on this board will admit to anything positive about that conference.

I don't care how many bids they get. After the top 3 teams that whole conference is overrated. I will bet that other than the top 3 not a single big east team will get out of the 1st weekend. I watched Pitt get lucky to beat a bad Providence team in Pitt just two nights ago. I got news for you, Pitt is not that good. They are not that big and they are not very deep. I would love to be on their side of the bracket.

Right now I see 6 big east locks. Cuse, Nova, WVU, Pitt, Marquette and G-Town (who is struggling bad). Louisville, ND and UCONN have a shot but all 3 will most likely lose today and if you ask me those teams should be in the NIT. Although ND is better now that the overrated hack Luke Harrengody is out. Oh and UC is not even guaranteed to make the NIT. Remember there are less NIT teams than before and all conference champs from lower tiered conferences are automatic. UC has work to do to make the NIT.

Oh and how good would UC be if they had this guy? I remember when the Cincy media was proclaiming him the next coming.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/82198

Masterofreality
03-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Oh and how good would UC be if they had this guy? I remember when the Cincy media was proclaiming him the next coming.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/82198

Based upon Riek and K-Real, the IMG Academy has been foisting frauds on college coaches.

danaandvictory
03-06-2010, 12:25 PM
By the way, the referees are currently "blatantly" stealing yet another game from YTG's team of destiny.

I understand YTG has petitioned the NCAA to add four wins to their total to remedy this injustice.

PM Thor
03-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Just my opinion, but when your conference has double byes in their tournament, that conference is way too big.

danaandvictory
03-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Just my opinion, but when your conference has double byes in their tournament, that conference is way too big.

The Horizon and WCC have double byes to reward the regular season champion.

Oh, look, Gnome is down 28 and his team has completely quit.

Espe
03-06-2010, 12:42 PM
The YTG has completed his annual late season swoon.

xsteve1
03-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Wow, the blessing Mike Thomas gave Cronin yesterday was the real shot in the arm they needed. 70-41 G'Town, my god UC is terrible.

smileyy
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
The Horizon and WCC have double byes to reward the regular season champion.

I fully support this format. Even more for conferences that won't get any at-large bids.

xu05usmc
03-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Wow, the blessing Mike Thomas gave Cronin yesterday was the real shot in the arm they needed. 70-41 G'Town, my god UC is terrible.

I don't know if anyone watched it but it was painful. Outside of Stephenson and Thomas no one on UC's team looked interested in playing. They literally just gave up. They were so pathetic you kind of felt bad for them, in a way you would feel bad for an deaf, blind, and orphaned dog.

Masterofreality
03-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Wow, way to go out there and compete SucKS. Way to really try to make a statement.

Here's the statement: "We as Borecat players cannot stand our yellow-toothed gnome coach and just want this season to be over."

They obviously feel the same way every year. YTG must just grind his guys into the ground so much that when March comes around, they just want to get away from his banshee self.

What a disgrace.

X-band '01
03-06-2010, 07:54 PM
The YTG has completed his annual late season swoon.

It will be complete once they lay down in MSG next Tuesday in front of NYC street sweepers and friends and family.

danaandvictory
03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Wow, did C-Mack just destroy YTG. He's dead. The YTG is officially deceased. I can't stop laughing.

DC Muskie
03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I went to the GTown/ UC game yesterday. I couldn't believe how UC just stopped playing with 12 minutes left in the second half. It was incredible to watch.

THRILLHOUSE
03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
TSNMike is back at it again, acting like Mick's advice to Stephenson to miss the 2nd FT was the most brilliant and gutsy call in the history of college basketball. No Mike, it was the most obvious thing to do there and 99% of coaches would've advised their player in the same way. Wow, UC beat Rutgers by a point, clearly this proves how awesome YTG is.

xsteve1
03-09-2010, 11:12 PM
TSNMike is back at it again, acting like Mick's advice to Stephenson to miss the 2nd FT was the most brilliant and gutsy call in the history of college basketball. No Mike, it was the most obvious thing to do there and 99% of coaches would've advised their player in the same way. Wow, UC beat Rutgers by a point, clearly this proves how awesome YTG is.

Let TSNMike keep pumping him up. We want him to stay at UC. It is funny though that Decousey thinks that was a great coaching move. He's losing a lot of credibility.

THRILLHOUSE
03-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Let TSNMike keep pumping him up. We want him to stay at UC. It is funny though that Decousey thinks that was a great coaching move. He's losing a lot of credibility.

Its quite sad. I also like how he ignores that UC had a 6 point lead with less than a minute left and the game easily couldve went to OT if the refs swallow their whistle on that drive by Stephenson, or UC could have lost if they called a foul on the made 3 pointer by Rutgers the possession before.