PDA

View Full Version : DVR bit it

PM Thor
02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I am very, very depressed tonight. My DVR gave up the ghost, taking along with it my most prized possession.

Every Xavier win over dayton since the '05-'06 season (except one game). 8 games. All wins, all fun to watch over and over. Not to mention about 10 other games on there too. Just gone, had to replace the box.

Sorry, had to vent.

Dammit.

I HATE dayton.

Perma Fro
02-19-2010, 07:03 AM
All is not lost. Most DVR units use standard PC hard drives. Do a quick Google search and you will find several articles on how to replace a DVR hard drive. Here is one example:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4843694_replace-dvr-hard-drive.html

coasterville95
02-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Except he said he "had to replace the box" inferring the swap out has already been made, and all that Xavier history is lost forever. Besides which, if its a Time Warner DVR, I'm not sure how TW would feel about the end user doing unauthorized repair/mods to their equipment.

DVR's are nice for TV on demand, but for archival, I still prefer a DVD. That's one thing I need to work out now that I have a HDTV is how I am going to wire the set top box to my DVD burner. That's what I use when I want to archive something.

Right now I have the STB running to the HDTV via the 5 wire component cables, and another input stream that currently has the Wii feeding into the DVD burner for the sole purpose that I can pass the signal through to the TV via the old 3 wire composite cables. Right now I can watch a VHS tape, a DVD, play Wii, or watch cable all without having to monkey with the wiring. I'm still missng that link of cable DVR to DVD burner...

(Oh, and before you suggest HDMI, tried that, get a wonderful picture but no audio...)

xubrew
02-19-2010, 10:59 AM
i HIGHLY recommend this device for archiving. i don't have this current model (the one i have is the mc5 , which is a few years older) but it's the same idea. it works just like a vcr used to, only it puts it on dvd instead of vhs. i've transferred old vhs to dvd, and have emptied tons off of my dvr to dvd as well. i think i've got a few xavier games on dvd that i took off vhs before dvds even existed.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sony+vrd&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9351352167107691302&ei=vcJ-S-bdH47dlAegr5ypDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBAQ8wIwAQ#ps-sellers

nuts4xu
02-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Best Buy sells a product that actually says it is designed to burn DVD's off a DVR. It costs about $230 from what I recall, but it seemed the best option for me when I was looking to burn copies of games from the DVR. Edit: Looks like Brew knows exactly what I am talking about.

I feel your pain Thor. My DVR is in need of replacing, but I am conflicted on the need for a new DVR vs. the loss of the games I have recorded. If you didn't have to trade in the old DVR, I am pretty sure you can still retreive those games and burn them. Directv recently went to a rental agreement, where you now "rent" their equipment. I believe if I order a new DVR, the old one will be taken when the new one is installed. I also don't think I will have to pay $200 (or whatever they cost) for a new one.

Good luck Thor, hope you get it figured out.

Xman95
02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I am very, very depressed tonight. My DVR gave up the ghost, taking along with it my most prized possession.

Every Xavier win over dayton since the '05-'06 season (except one game). 8 games. All wins, all fun to watch over and over. Not to mention about 10 other games on there too. Just gone, had to replace the box.

Sorry, had to vent.

Dammit.

I HATE dayton.

Just to make sure you never lose the memories, let me leave you with this reminder that was constant throughout all those games: Dayton sucks. (Plus I'm sure you'll be able to find a Jimmy Carter documentary on the History Channel or something...that should help fill the void.)

PM Thor
02-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I wish I had the option to open up the DVR and get those games back, but it was absolutely fried. At first it wouldn't recognize the info coming from the satellite, but then it made a weird noise and I smelled electrical burning...and so obviously after that it wouldn't even power up.

I'm definitely going to go and buy one of those DVR to DVD burners. I had meant to do it before too, just never got to it...

Dammit, I'm still depressed about losing those games.

I HATE dayton.

Xman95
02-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Dammit, I'm still depressed about losing those games.

I HATE dayton.

Ok, this isn't from one of the games your DVR cruelly took with it, but maybe this will help cheer you up a little:

http://musketeerblogosphere.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/013101west.jpg

Cheesehead
02-19-2010, 03:55 PM
I have an HD DVR box from Directv and I hooked up a very simple and affordable DVD recorder to it (it's a Toshiba & I paid $150.00 3 years ago). I use an HDMI cable from DVD recorder to TV and component cables from Directv box to recorder and the signal runs thru the recorder on Line 2. Don't ask me how I did it as I needed to write it down when I had to move my TV stand once due to getting new carpet installed, but I can record anything live directly to DVD or anything stored on the DVR to DVD. The only bad thing is it's all down in real time. I still have last year's NCAA games which i need to put onto DVD.

CSS85
02-19-2010, 04:35 PM
I feel your pain. I switched from VHS to DVD in Jan 2004. I had amassed about 40 games on VHS between 1987 and 2004 (XU was not on TV all that often in those days). When I switched I had the intention to transfer the VHS games to DVD. Unfortunately, while remodeling, a contractor managed to melt the box the VHS tapes were in. I was never so sick in my life. To this day I still get dizzy thinking about the NCAA tourney games and the shootouts I lost. So while I have about every televised game since 2004, I feel like I lost my left arm due to the loss of the rest.