PDA

View Full Version : Xavier, St. Joe's, & URI - will anybody else make the tourney?

XUOWNSUC
02-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't think the A-10 will get 4 bids to the tournament. With Charlotte losing to Richmond today and UMass losing to St. Louis, I'm having a hard time seeing either of those teams making the tourney as an at-large team. If Xavier, URI, and St. Joe's keep doing what they are doing, all three will get into the dance. UD has an outside chance for an at-large bid, but they need to right their ship NOW. However, since their two "stars" are still out for awhile longer, I don't see that happening. All the other teams are going to have to win the A-10 tourney in order to make the NCAA tourney.

Bottom line, I think only Xavier, Rhode Island, and St. Joe's make the NCAA tournament.

Agree or disagree?

JAPER
02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I kind of think there will be only be three maybe four teams from the A10 this year. The three you mentioned as front runners. The 'middle' of the pack is too strong this year for UMass, Charlotte, Dayton and Rhode Island to coast to at-larges at this point. Also, St. Joseph's really does not have that great a resume right now. They really haven't beaten a notable team out of conference and the Villanova game (if they win it) is looking like a good but not great win. I do think St. Joseph's is a high quality team though that deserves a bid if they finish with a strong league record.

Dayton's big game this coming week is @ GW. That is looming large for their at-large aspirations and could go a long way in determing how they play on the road the rest of the way. I think UD will beat Charlotte at home before and I think Dayton will win with their current roster most of their home games and build momentum as they heal. They will be a dangerous team in the league tournament. Where will they be seeded is another huge variable. They could end up #8 or #9 right now as a possible q-final match-up for
#1 X or SJ's.

dc_x
02-03-2008, 05:48 AM
UD will be able to write off this awful stretch to injuries. As long as they get back to winning when Chris Wright is back, they will be fine.

Charlotte is in huge trouble - WAY too many bad losses.

If UMass can finish A-10 play at 10-6 (they are 3-4 right now), they are a bubble team.

X-band '01
02-03-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm glad Xavier doesn't have to play at Richmond this year; they're starting to look like Rhode Island did last year in terms of coming out of nowhere to at least be in the top half of the league. Competitive? Yes. Contender? No.

XU 87
02-03-2008, 08:59 AM
UD has an rpi of 13. UMass has an rpi of 25. That usually gets you in the dance.

UMass is more likely to retain that rpi than UD. When does UD get Little and Wright back?

AdamtheFlyer
02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
The SOS has skyrocketed this week. It went from the mid-twenties to 11 at the moment. Perhaps the opponents that lost a lot early are cleaning up in their leagues.

As long as Dayton wins enough to keep the RPI under 30, they should get in. Missouri St. did get left out with a 23 RPI, but they didn't have the OOC resume Dayton does.

X-band '01
02-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Maybe Richmond is a lot better than we thought Adam, but Dayton can really help themselves with a win over Charlotte this week. I also noticed that Charles Little returned to action last night, but I hope they didn't rush him back too early.

flatspat
02-03-2008, 07:10 PM
On UD Pride, they are projecting Wright not to return until Atlantic City.

Snipe
02-04-2008, 09:07 AM
SJU needs to beat Nova tonight. The game is on CSTV.

SJU was 4-4. They have now won 10 of their last 11.

X-man
02-04-2008, 09:35 AM
I agree Snipe. 'Nova is really suspect, and is now routinely being beaten by all manner of Big Least teams. If the A10 is to continue to have cred, it is important that one of their "better" teams beats up on one of the Big Least's middling teams. Where is the game being played...a neutral (Big Five) site?

Snipe
02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Palestra. I think it counts as a home game for SJU. They must get the bulk of the tickets.

X-band '01
02-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Snipe is correct. Villanova is alloted something like 500 tickets, but St. Joe's always plays their "home" Big 5 games at the Palestra barring scheduling conflicts. This year, their games against Villanova and Temple are "home" games at the Palestra; their games against La Salle and Penn are considered road games but are both at the Palestra as well.