PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown is at it again

ballyhoohoo
02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
The Bengals have brought in Adam "pacman" Jones and Matt Jones for workouts this week. I wonder if Donte Stallworth has returned his call yet.

JimmyTwoTimes37
02-12-2010, 09:14 AM
The Bengals have brought in Adam "pacman" Jones and Matt Jones for workouts this week. I wonder if Donte Stallworth has returned his call yet.

Offered Matt Jones 630k, right near the minimum...

If I were Matt Jones, I'd sign with the Bengals over the Titans. He would get a better opportunity to play here. Bratkowski has got to love a 6'6 player who runs a 4.5 40 and broad jumps 10'10". (that is if the year off hasn't made his freak natural athleticism decline)

My number one choice is still Brandon Marshall...

Juice
02-12-2010, 09:15 AM
(that is if the year off hasn't made his freak natural athleticism decline)

Or the cocaine

JimmyTwoTimes37
02-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Or the cocaine

Ya probably should have put that in there. You're right

boozehound
02-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Interesting. What value does Pacman add to this team? Hall and Joseph are pretty good corners so it's not like we are in desparate need of a Cornerback. Even if we could get him cheap it doesn't seem worth it for a backup/Nickel Corner. Kick returning would be the only place I could see him really adding value to the roster. I would be more inclined to take a risk on a WR, because we need more help there.

Lamont Sanford
02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
SNIFF SNIFF...what's that smell coming from PBS?!? Desperation.

xu drew
02-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Bratkowski has got to love a 6'6 player who runs a 4.5 40 and broad jumps 10'10". (that is if the year off hasn't made his freak natural athleticism decline)

Matt Jones ran a 4.37 40 at the combine. Not bad. Who knows what he's running these days, but if he can get anywhere close to that, it's still pretty damn fast.

JimmyTwoTimes37
02-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Matt Jones ran a 4.37 40 at the combine. Not bad. Who knows what he's running these days, but if he can get anywhere close to that, it's still pretty damn fast.

That's even more impressive. Wow..It's worth the gamble in my opinion, especially at league minimum. The guy is just a genetic athletic freak...

boozehound
02-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm most concerned with Matt Jones' vertical leap. He is going to have to really be able to jump to catch all the high floaters that Palmer throws.

In all seriousness I don't think that WR was as big a problem for us last year as it seemed. Job #1 for the offseason needs to be to fix the QB position. Either fix Palmer or bring in someone who can, at least, compete for the job. Particularly toward the end of the season we struggled to string 3 complete passes together, and it wasn't just because WR's were dropping passes. I think that something is still wrong with Palmer's elbow. Maybe he should have gotten the Tommy John surgery 2 years back. I dont' know, but whatever the issue is we need to go into next season with a VERY good backup QB in case Palmer continues to struggle. I don't want to have another year with a solid running game and good defense but limited success because we can't throw the ball at all.

JimmyTwoTimes37
02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm most concerned with Matt Jones' vertical leap. He is going to have to really be able to jump to catch all the high floaters that Palmer throws.

In all seriousness I don't think that WR was as big a problem for us last year as it seemed. Job #1 for the offseason needs to be to fix the QB position. Either fix Palmer or bring in someone who can, at least, compete for the job. Particularly toward the end of the season we struggled to string 3 complete passes together, and it wasn't just because WR's were dropping passes. I think that something is still wrong with Palmer's elbow. Maybe he should have gotten the Tommy John surgery 2 years back. I dont' know, but whatever the issue is we need to go into next season with a VERY good backup QB in case Palmer continues to struggle. I don't want to have another year with a solid running game and good defense but limited success because we can't throw the ball at all.

Very true...His accuracy and arm strength was pretty bad the 2nd half of the season. That's a serious concern. Watching other playoff teams QB's and offenses, then comparing them to ours was night and day.

Hopefully he's not seriously injured. What would you do as a GM (wait we don't have one)...As coach/front office? Is it time to draft another QB? Do you try and get another veteran QB as a backup? Do you do nothing and hope he returns to 2005 form?

boozehound
02-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Very true...His accuracy and arm strength was pretty bad the 2nd half of the season. That's a serious concern. Watching other playoff teams QB's and offenses, then comparing them to ours was night and day.

Hopefully he's not seriously injured. What would you do as a GM (wait we don't have one)...As coach/front office? Is it time to draft another QB? Do you try and get another veteran QB as a backup? Do you do nothing and hope he returns to 2005 form?

That is a tough question. 2005 was 4 years ago. He started out 2006 OK as well, but then it went down hill.

Palmer hasn't played consistently well in 4 years. I think that the ability is in there, but for whatever reason it is not translating on the field. I really think the combination of the knee and elbow injuries might have ruined him as a QB.

I don't think that you can just keep the status quo and hope that he somehow returns to 2005 form. Drafting a QB is tough too, though. They take time to develop and you don't know if they are ever going to pan out. I think that we need to look for a veteran to compete with Palmer, even if it costs us some money that we can't spend elsewhere. It probably also wouldn't be a bad idea to take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop if there is a good prospect available.

It is definitely a tough situation though, and I think that they still have a pretty large amount of money wrapped up in Palmer.

xu drew
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Chris Mortensen is reporting Matt Jones signed with the Bengals.

JimmyTwoTimes37
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Wasn't Matt Jones a QB at Arkansas? Bratkowski could get creative with someone like Jones assuming his physical skills haven't diminished

xu drew
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Wasn't Matt Jones a QB at Arkansas? Bratkowski could get creative with someone like Jones assuming his physical skills haven't diminished

Yes, he was. Scouts didn't think he was skilled enough at QB to produce in the NFL at that position, but he had the athleticism to be productive as a receiver. Hopefully he can still toss a little bit to just have a threat of passing on gimmick plays that have become more prevalent with other teams.

JimmyTwoTimes37
02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes, he was. Scouts didn't think he was skilled enough at QB to produce in the NFL at that position, but he had the athleticism to be productive as a receiver. Hopefully he can still toss a little bit to just have a threat of passing on gimmick plays that have become more prevalent with other teams.

I really like this signing...He has had some problems, but that kind of athlete is so rare that its worth the gamble at a league minimum.

27 years old. 6'6" and 237 pounds. Runs a 4.37 40, 39.5 inch vertical, 10'10" broad jump.

2nd all time in career rushing yards in SEC as a QB behind Tebow. They worked him out so they must think he's still capable of living up to his potential.

xavierj
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I think it is awesome. The Bengals are like celebrity rehab for athletes. Maybe Mike Brown feels it is in his right in life to try and help and change peoples lives. I think it should be a league policy that if you are suspended for poor conduct or drug use and then get reinstated you should automatically have to spend a year in the Bengals rehab unit. Can you imagine all of the talent the Bengals could acquire?

Espe
02-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I volunteer to show pacman the finest scrip clubs in town as long as he doesn't get rebellion while we are there.

Xman95
02-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Yeah, he thought someone was holding a bag of rock at the other end.

Jumpy
02-12-2010, 11:43 AM
SNIFF SNIFF...what's that smell coming from PBS?!? Desperation.

They went 6-0 in the division and won the AFC North. I hardly think its desperation.

Everyone knows you can't catch a crackhead.

xavierj
02-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I volunteer to show pacman the finest scrip clubs in town as long as he doesn't get rebellion while we are there.

Will Pacman make it rain in Covington? Though he probably would not be too happy with the local strip club offerings.

boozehound
02-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm OK with the signing as well, as long as they didn't pay him much. If he wants to prove that he has his life together and can be a productive player this is his chance.

Xman95
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Bengals just added another player. They signed this guy to add depth to the secondary.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cO2ZpEMF2nc/SXTETawNjnI/AAAAAAAAApo/C-ABS3Y7D3M/s1600-R/crackhead2.jpg

Xman95
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Bengals also signed a new cheerleader.

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/amy-winehouse-cheat2.jpg

Xman95
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM

It was rumored that he was going to accept a non-football job in Dayton. Then he found out that this is what they meant when they told him he could find all the crack he would ever want:

http://prayingtodarwin.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/2583897347_cdd802fc82.jpg

boozehound
02-12-2010, 01:29 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Bengals just added another player. They signed this guy to add depth to the secondary.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cO2ZpEMF2nc/SXTETawNjnI/AAAAAAAAApo/C-ABS3Y7D3M/s1600-R/crackhead2.jpg

That is freaking hilarious. Reps for that.

DoubleD86
02-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I am undecided on the Matt Jones signing. The more I think about it, the more I feel as if I'm leaning towards liking it. It is no secret we had no threat down field after Henry's (RIP) injury and Matt Jones, as everyone above has stated, has the ability to be that big down field threat. His athleticism is off the charts, he just has to prove that he is past both the cocaine and the issues he had in Jacksonville (not willing to put in the work to be good). At a one year, league minimum deal he has absolutely no leash. Screw up or not work hard, and he's gone. I think it is a VERY low risk for a potentially high reward. Obviously the PR will be the expected result (the Bengals are criminals, Mike Brown is a joke, etc. etc. etc.) but I think this is a potentially high enough reward to justify the move and expected backlash.

As for Pacman....PLEASE DO NOT SIGN HIM. We have two of the best young corners in the game. Trent is ok, although we need an improvement at Nickel back. What we do not need is a repeated offender who as things piled up only seemed to be trying to outdo his own stupidity. Yes we need CB depth and a better Nickel back. NO WE DO NOT NEED PACMAN JONES. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN HIM.

boozehound
02-12-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm with you DoubleD. I kind of like the Matt Jones signing, but I think that signing Pacman would be a big mistake. I don't see what that idiot brings to any team.

pizza delivery
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
If TO and Pacman sign that would be an awesome story:

"Trouble makers"
TO
Pacman
Ochocinco
Tank Johnson
Frostee Rucker
JJo
Hall
Rey Rey
Matt Johnson
B Scott
Larry Johnson
Ced Benson
Andre Smith
Chris Henry (RIP)

That is some serious copy there. Hours, DAYS of ESPN updates between that group. It's already notable, but if they add TO and Pacman its beyond the pale.

Other unique stories

The Palmer Bros
Zimmer family
Reclusive owner

What a weird time to be a Bengals fan.

vee4xu
02-12-2010, 07:13 PM
That is freaking hilarious. Reps for that.

Hmmm.

bobbiemcgee
02-13-2010, 01:04 AM
BMarsh is a troublemaker, so pls. sign him. He can catch 21 passes a game while aggravating everybody.

D-West & PO-Z
02-14-2010, 11:35 PM
I am undecided on the Matt Jones signing. The more I think about it, the more I feel as if I'm leaning towards liking it. It is no secret we had no threat down field after Henry's (RIP) injury and Matt Jones, as everyone above has stated, has the ability to be that big down field threat. His athleticism is off the charts, he just has to prove that he is past both the cocaine and the issues he had in Jacksonville (not willing to put in the work to be good). At a one year, league minimum deal he has absolutely no leash. Screw up or not work hard, and he's gone. I think it is a VERY low risk for a potentially high reward. Obviously the PR will be the expected result (the Bengals are criminals, Mike Brown is a joke, etc. etc. etc.) but I think this is a potentially high enough reward to justify the move and expected backlash.

As for Pacman....PLEASE DO NOT SIGN HIM. We have two of the best young corners in the game. Trent is ok, although we need an improvement at Nickel back. What we do not need is a repeated offender who as things piled up only seemed to be trying to outdo his own stupidity. Yes we need CB depth and a better Nickel back. NO WE DO NOT NEED PACMAN JONES. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN HIM.

Matt Jones has exactly ZERO catches of 50 yards or more in 4 seasons. How is he the big down field threat? In his best statistical season he averaged 11.7 yards per catch which would have been good for a tie at 70th in the league and also behind Chad Jonson and even Coles.

Jumpy
02-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Matt Jones has exactly ZERO catches of 50 yards or more in 4 seasons. How is he the big down field threat? In his best statistical season he averaged 11.7 yards per catch which would have been good for a tie at 70th in the league and also behind Chad Jonson and even Coles.

Yeah, from what I remember of him with the Jags, he was more of a middle of the field, possession receiver. I'm thinking they're trying to get him to fill the role that TJ once did.

Xman95
02-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Jones was an average receiver with Jax. Anyone expecting more from him with the Bengals will probably be disappointed. I guess there's always a chance he'll use all of his ability and become a very good WR, but it's doubtful. If he becomes anything more than a 3rd receiver I'll be surprised.

One issue that his size and speed have not been able to overcome...bad hands. He has made some terrific grabs, but one of the knocks on him was that he dropped too many routine passes. So he's kind of like a poor man's Braylon Edwards. And you have all seen what you get with the rich man's Braylon Edwards!

http://blog.cleveland.com/plutoblog_impact/2008/09/braydrophoriz.jpg
http://www.ohioverticals.com/blogs/browns_bulletin/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ravens01.jpg
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/12/04/sports/photos_stories/cropped/101_braylon_edwards%20--300x300.jpg

Xman95
02-16-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/braylon-edwards-dropped-passes.jpg