PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Old St. George Church

94GRAD
02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Thor, I want the complete play by play when you get back.

xeus
02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Is that Thor's district? How do CFD districts correspond to CPD districts?

Pablo
02-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I know where I was tonight...

Odd thing is that exact site is where supposedly UC wants to build their new basketball stadium according to a UC donor friend of mine. Interesting.

BlueGuy
02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
It's also pretty odd that it was just the steeples that were on fire.

GoMuskies
02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
UC wants to build ANOTHER new basketball arena?!? A do-over after screwing up the Shoe?

PM Thor
02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Thor, I want the complete play by play when you get back.

I wasn't working tonight, dammit. I saw some of the video this evening as I was on my way out, got the usual call from my Ma "You need to be careful Son!!" whenever she sees any fire on TV. I drove by the scene on the way home to dropping the girl off, who just happens to live blocks within the scene.

It was a great stop by the guys. Excellent, excellent save. The actual building was saved, with very little fire damage supposedly. Just look at it. Let the steeples burn in this situation. They really have no impact on the building as a whole, there is no life safety issue, it's one of those things where it isn't worth it to put firefighters in danger, because there really isn't a life hazard to people.

Weird that the fire was only in the steeples though. Makes you wonder....

Thing is, it was a spectacular fire from the News standpoint. You don't get to see much actual fire within city limits on the news. It's because this department is very agressive and knock fires down pretty damn fast. By the time the news outlets show up, the only film they can get is of the guys just standing around after the fact. I mean, I fought a two alarm fire on Wednesday, did anyone hear a peep about that? Nope. Why? No good film of it so it doesn't make the news. I'm not complaining, just pointing out, just watch the news. They cover the fires out in the counties a lot more than within the city, and the city has way, way more fires. Why does the news cover them more? Better copy, better film, more flaming wreckage of homes.

Xeus, I am in district 2, which is pretty much the west side of town. Cincy has 4 districts altogether. When it comes down to responding, it's about distance only, nothing about districts. When it comes to multiple alarms, it matters about the alarm box. Every building in the city has its own box. Single family homes get a certain amount on the first box, multiple family gets more, multiple story habitations get more, businesses get less, there is a very intricate formula to figuring it out.

When it goes multi alarms, that usually means that 2 more engines, another truck, and another District Chief go (basically). It ramps up from there. Now when you hear about a multi alarm fire in the city, that is totally different from a multi alarm fire out in the county. The county departments run short on manpower. Not Cincy. We come with manpower galore. If you hear a city multi alarm, there are usually over 50 roughnecks on the scene (at least) for just a 2 alarm. The most manpower I have ever been involved with is a fire this summer at a costume store down on McMicken. It was something like 140-150 working that fire.

http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=AB&Dato=20080201&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=802020813&Ref=PH&Item=1&MaxH=320&MaxW=375&Border=1

How effin sweet is that picture?

Dammit. This stuff geeks me up.

blobfan
02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
The pictures of this one were so good it made CNN.