PDA

View Full Version : OJ Mayo

KC4X
02-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I have had the pleasure in the past to meet OJ Mayo. I've heard many nasty things said about both him and Bill Walker. I've never witnessed any of those things. In fact, the two young men I encountered several times were very respectful, polite, and good role models to my sons. OJ made a point to come up to my son after one of his grade school basketball games to congratulate him on a good game and to talk to him. (Mind you, my son gave it his all but was not really that talented at basketball.) OJ's a good kid.

So, I was very happy to find this article:

OJ Mayo (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=3222008&sportCat=ncb)

The one thing that really caught my attention is:

"But unlike some of his big-name brethren, he has goals that extend beyond the court. Mayo plans to help develop impoverished areas in places like New Orleans, Cincinnati and his hometown of Huntington, W.Va. So maybe it's time to cut the kid some slack."

XU 87
02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I once talked to someone who had some knowledge about them while they were at NCH. That person told me that they were both punks.

KC4X
02-01-2008, 03:16 PM
I can't say how they acted in school. All I know is that I witnessed them in the gym (at my son's games as well as NCH games) and I never witnessed any bad behavior. I did hear rumors of scuffles, but, I also heard that jealousy played role in them. Who really knows unless you were there. And, as I said, I personally was impressed with how they treated the young-uns.

blobfan
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I've never actually heard anything bad said about OJ Mayo. Most negative comments are centered around the people around him and possible misguidance during his high school career. Bill Walker, however, will forever live in my memore as the idiot that urinated in a towel on the sidelines of a televised game. Not something I associate with being respectful, polite, or a good role model.

KC4X
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Not saying I agree with urinating in public, but, what would you have had him do? Go on the floor? Some people have bladder issues that aren't forgiving. I've had family members affected as kids. A little more discretion may have been warranted, but, some of the blame should go to the cameraman for actually filming it. Besides, that hardly qualifies as "thuggish" behavior, as some (not you) have associated with him.

We all did embarassing things as kids, I'm sure. That is at worst eyebrow-raising, not indicative of a bad person.

blobfan
02-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Regardless, this was not the behavior of someone that I would consider a role model. Tell me why, if he couldn't make it to the bathroom and back, he couldn't have found a private area and used a cup or gatorade bottle? And why blame the camera guy? The only one to blame for the behavior is Bill Walker himself.