PDA

View Full Version : A realistic look at our NCAA chances

cinskyline
01-31-2008, 08:58 PM
The team has 8 regular season games left. Here's how I see it:

Of the remaining 8 games, we must win 7. We can afford one loss as long as it's to either Charlotte, Temple, or Dayton (we play them twice).

The other 4 games are LaSalle, Rhode Island, Fordham, and St. Bonny. All of these games are must win because of their poor records or RPI's. All of these teams have RPI's of 100 or worse and would be considered BAD losses. If we lose to any of them, you may as well talk about the WNIT, because there is no way we will get in as an at-large. We would have to win the A-10 Tournament (which is certainly possible).

Game that we are most likely to lose: @ UD. This game just screams loss, mainly because it's a road game against a vastly improved Dayton squad.

If we can win 7 of 8, I think that it will only take 1 win in the A-10 Tournament to wrap up an at-large. That would put us in great shape with a record of 23-7 and several good non-conference wins.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

XUBT
01-31-2008, 10:43 PM
Snowstorm,
The next 10 games are LaSalle, @ StL, St Joes, @ Charlotte, @ URI, Do-kane, @Dayton, GW, @ St Joes and Richmond. Of those games @Dayton is a possible L, considering the ass whoopin we put on them last week and the revenge that they may be looking for after we made them look like crap. And also playing at St. Joes little high school-size gym never seems to be easy. But I like our chances considering the stellar non-con record and what some of those teams have done lately. 3 or 4 seed at this point.

A group of us (from IL, OH, IN & FL) will be making our annual trip to the Cintas for the St Joes game on the 10th, look for the class of 1991 at Dana's on Feb 9.

Go Muskies.

cinskyline
01-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Snowstorm,
The next 10 games are LaSalle, @ StL, St Joes, @ Charlotte, @ URI, Do-kane, @Dayton, GW, @ St Joes and Richmond. Of those games @Dayton is a possible L, considering the ass whoopin we put on them last week and the revenge that they may be looking for after we made them look like crap. And also playing at St. Joes little high school-size gym never seems to be easy. But I like our chances considering the stellar non-con record and what some of those teams have done lately. 3 or 4 seed at this point.

A group of us (from IL, OH, IN & FL) will be making our annual trip to the Cintas for the St Joes game on the 10th, look for the class of 1991 at Dana's on Feb 9.

Go Muskies.

You've got the wrong forum. I was talking about the women's team's chances of making the NCAA Tournament. The men's team already has an NCAA bid wrapped up. No problems there!

X-band '01
02-01-2008, 05:24 AM
I've seen this cycle from the UD women before - even though their overall record is better than last year, it is still the same set of players they have from last year. McGuff owns Jabir in the series; overall this year Xavier has been more consistent than the Flyers have.

XUBT
02-01-2008, 09:35 AM
You've got the wrong forum. I was talking about the women's team's chances of making the NCAA Tournament. The men's team already has an NCAA bid wrapped up. No problems there!
My fault, oops. I guess my brain cell wasn't working last night after clearing 6 inches of snow off of the driveway and then clearing the fridge of Budweisers...

spongebob
02-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Of the remaining 8 games, we must win 7. We can afford one loss as long as it's to either Charlotte, Temple, or Dayton (we play them twice).

The other 4 games are LaSalle, Rhode Island, Fordham, and St. Bonny. All of these games are must win because of their poor records or RPI's. All of these teams have RPI's of 100 or worse and would be considered BAD losses. If we lose to any of them, you may as well talk about the WNIT, because there is no way we will get in as an at-large. We would have to win the A-10 Tournament (which is certainly possible).

Game that we are most likely to lose: @ UD. This game just screams loss, mainly because it's a road game against a vastly improved Dayton squad.

If we can win 7 of 8, I think that it will only take 1 win in the A-10 Tournament to wrap up an at-large. That would put us in great shape with a record of 23-7 and several good non-conference wins.

Would tend to agree. 7 of 8 in any shape or form would put them at 12 of their last 13. i am pretty sure the committee always looks at how the season finished. Hopefully they wont, but depending on who they might lose to that would also put them in good shape seed wise in the A-10 tourney, opposite GW. Charlotte and Temple still have to play each other so someone is going to get at least one more loss there. If XU can knock off both of them, and take care of their other business, they're in great shape.

X-band '01
02-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Remember last year that the ladies won 10 straight games going into the NCAAs, although they weren't playing their absolute best down the stretch. We talk about separation for the men's A-10; for the women I can think of maybe 5 teams that can be considered the head of the A-10: GW, Temple, Xavier, Charlotte, and the Flyers.

Any losses outside that circle of teams will all but kill their at-large hopes unless they can run the table against Temple, UD, and Charlotte.

XU-PA
02-02-2008, 06:41 AM
RPI is 50, the musketeers are getting no love out there.
Have some good wins in the pocket, but also that UC loss just plain looks bad.

Run the table on the regular season and they've earned a bid without showing up to the A-10's, Haven't seen CHarlotte or Dayton play yet, but I've seen Temple, still a dangerous team though they don't seem to have much offensive punch. Now they've taken on a defensive look and have the ability to shut folks down.
I like the promotion XU is doing "pack the house night" hope that gets 3 or 4 thousand screamers looking for a Harris dunk!!!

cinskyline
02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
RPI is 50, the musketeers are getting no love out there.
Have some good wins in the pocket, but also that UC loss just plain looks bad.

Run the table on the regular season and they've earned a bid without showing up to the A-10's, Haven't seen CHarlotte or Dayton play yet, but I've seen Temple, still a dangerous team though they don't seem to have much offensive punch. Now they've taken on a defensive look and have the ability to shut folks down.
I like the promotion XU is doing "pack the house night" hope that gets 3 or 4 thousand screamers looking for a Harris dunk!!!

I agree with you, XU-PA. About 3 weeks ago, I wasn't too worried about Temple, but they've started to play better, and we all know that Dawn will have her team ready when they come here. I still think we have the edge on them (especially offensively), but I expect a tough game.

Also agree with you about UC. That loss was just plain stupid, and could be costly at the end of the season. Actually you could throw the Liberty loss and the Kansas loss in there too.

The fact that Penn St. and Georgia have been terrible lately is not helping either. :(

BENWAR
02-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Why is this post on the mens board?

Bmuskie
02-03-2008, 01:05 AM

It's Not on the men's board!

cinskyline
02-03-2008, 04:49 AM

You've got the wrong board.

X-band '01
02-03-2008, 08:09 AM
He is a new poster here, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.