PDA

View Full Version : Need a computer

sweet16
01-03-2010, 07:37 AM
I need another computer for home use and my PC knowledge is very limited. I have monitors and keyboards so I just need a PC. What's my cheapest option? For this application we want to use our larger monitor and our keyboard.......can I get a laptop and use both an external monitor and keyboard? Is a PC with 4GB memory and 500GB hard drive sufficient for email, modest spreadsheets, web surfing, music downloads, etc. Thanks.

XUglow
01-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I purchased an eMachines system from Best Buy a few weeks ago. You can get a Pentium version with an 18.5" monitor under $400. You can get the Celeron version of the same system for $330 or so. If you opt to forgo the monitor, you will spend less that $250. I added Home Office with Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc. for $89 when I got it set up.

Kahns Krazy
01-03-2010, 10:02 AM
can I get a laptop and use both an external monitor and keyboard? Is a PC with 4GB memory and 500GB hard drive sufficient for email, modest spreadsheets, web surfing, music downloads, etc. Thanks.

1) Yes. It may be easier if your keyboard is USB, but many laptops still come with ps/2 ports for an external keyboard.

2) Yes, 4gb and 500gb is plenty for anything except possibly extensive graphics/video work and/or gaming.

If you're not planning to move the machine around, you're going to pay a fairly big premium (at least percentage) for a laptop over a desktop.

Kahns Krazy
01-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Also, if you're really looking for the cheapest option, you might even want to consider used. For the applications you've listed above, you can get away with an older unit.

XU-PA
01-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Check out the ad prices at Staples and Best Buy this weekend. You can get a good laptop with 4GB and like 400G for less than $400, similar desktop usually 50 bucks less.

I went with a laptop, Compaq presario with Windows 7 (had a special on for the debut of W 7) after the rebate from staples and a $75 credit for an old working laptopn I was out for about $250. more than enough speed and space for the basics, plus I've been storing and editing hoops videos, very happy with the results. On my wireless network I'm good anywhere in the house, and still have the homebase unit hooked to printer etc.

Plus I can hook the PC up to either of our TVs to get decent video of stuff not on the dish

blobfan
01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
If you can afford the up-charge and have wireless, I highly recommend springing for the laptop. Most will let you use an external monitor and I love the freedom to move from room to room and even the deck outside.

pizza delivery
01-03-2010, 07:43 PM
If you're in Cincy and want a used computer, I've found good deals at PineApple computers. Just go to www.craigslist.com for Cincy and type pineapple in the search field. GL!

wkrq59
01-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I added Home Office with Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc. for $89 when I got it set up.

Sweet and Glow,
If you really want to save some money and plan to deal for used, try to find out if that Craig'slist firm has a techie who can download Linux Ubuntu. It's fast, clean and has all the plugins built into the OS. And any Linux system works well with older computers. Oh AND IT'S FREE
Glow, wish I knew you were going to layout $89 for MSOffice. I've had Linux O-Office for ten years snd it didn't cost me a dime. Check with Guy Fawkes re open source OS. Or PM me and I'll see if I have any copies of theUbuntu [/I][/I]:D:D:D