PDA

View Full Version : Good thing UC is a football school now!

CinciX12
01-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Do I even need to say more? Good God how embarrassing.

BandAid
01-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Didn't you hear? UC has made made it further as a football program than Xavier can ever hope to do in basketball!

Muskied
01-01-2010, 10:07 PM
So UC gets beat in football and UD is about to loose at New Mexico. Now I'm for city of cincy and a 10 success....but it's the first day of the new year, and all is right with the world.

Masterofreality
01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Weakest #3 ranking ever. This just proves what has been said all year long. Big Least does not deserve a BCS standing, SucKS played a weak schedule, and this whole season was a sham propped up by a fawning media and a bad conference. Kelly knew to get out while the getting was good.

Maybe Vanderbilt should have been ranked #3. They only lost to Florida 27-3.

Welcome to a game against a real football team, SucKS. Oh, and way to stay classy. How about getting another 3 personal foul penalties and keep barking after your one sack when trailing by 34 points.

An X Fan
01-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Connor Barwin can suck it.

pizza delivery
01-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Thing is, this team doesn't have a head coach. What if Miller left the reigns to Mack vs UCLA? It's ridiculous.

Masterofreality
01-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Thing is, this team doesn't have a head coach. What if Miller left the reigns to Mack vs UCLA? It's ridiculous.

Sorry. The Borecats were coached by their existing offensive coordinator. Their defenisve coordinator was still there too. Same systems. This was the Sugar Bowl. No motivational speech needed for this game.

Coach for this game was irrelevant.

Kahns Krazy
01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
The only thing more pathetic than the UC defensive effort tonight is the gay-love Tebow suck job happening in the booth.

He's about to cry again. I hope he Ryan Leafs it in the NFL.

PM Thor
01-01-2010, 11:45 PM
When did UC become the new Oregon in terms of unis? I didn't even recognize them.

I wasn't surprised in the least in the outcome, but I was torn. I didn't really care if UC won, but I really dislike Florida football too. Tebow can suck it, but so can all the local media outlets gushing all over UC football.

I'm glad all that is over now, and I'm quietly hoping Tebow fails miserably in his attempt at an NFL career.

I HATE dayton.

Juice
01-02-2010, 02:07 AM
This just proves what has been said all year long. Big Least does not deserve a BCS standing, SucKS played a weak schedule, and this whole season was a sham propped up by a fawning media and a bad conference.

The Big East is pretty bad. Their 3rd place team in West Virginia lost to a 6-6 FSU team which might have been the ACC's worst bowl eligible team.

awayfan
01-02-2010, 02:36 AM
Juice I believe that FSU was playing for Bowden since it was his last game. For the year i believeFSU was not the best team but today they were?

jdm2000
01-02-2010, 06:44 AM
The Big East is pretty bad. Their 3rd place team in West Virginia lost to a 6-6 FSU team which might have been the ACC's worst bowl eligible team.

Yeah, but like away fan said, that's a tough one to base it off of. When JoePa finally hangs 'em up, I bet PSU will beat whoever they're playing (even if it's a better team).

I've really been shocked with how poorly the Pac 10 has played. They got a win by USC and UCLA's victory over Temple, but other than that they've generally been either outplayed (Rose Bowl) or downright embarrassed (Oregon State, Arizona, and Cal).

XUOWNSUC
01-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Outscored in BCS bowl games by a combined score of 71 to 31. uc sucks.

I don't know why some people are surprised. uc doesn't play anybody - and in the rare case when they do (BCS bowl games, Oklahoma) they get blowed out. The big east doesn't deserve an automatic bid to a BCS bowl game - the Mountain West Conference is just as good.

Just think of how bad the BCS Championship game would have been if Colt McCoy held onto the ball for one more second. The fact that uc was that close to the title game is a joke.

I can't wait to hear the excuses from uc fans - i.e. "It's Brian Kelley's fault." "We had no coach."

71 - 31.

Masterofreality
01-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Outscored in BCS bowl games by a combined score of 71 to 31. uc sucks.

71 - 31.

With 21 of those points coming in "garbage time".

Please, Ohio legislature. Do not, repeat do not take my tax money and give it to SucKS to build a practice bubble, a new football building or a new stadium renovation. You already overbuilt a basketball arena at Cleveland State by about 6,000 seats. Don't steal my hard earned money and give it to posuers and imposters.

Fireball
01-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I shouldn't be this amused by UC's thumping.

But, you know, I am :)

golfitup
01-02-2010, 10:25 AM
If Xavier had a football team, we'd kick their ass too!

Juice
01-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Juice I believe that FSU was playing for Bowden since it was his last game. For the year i believeFSU was not the best team but today they were?

I know it was Bowden's last game but FSU was bad this year. They almost lost to a 1-AA team at home.

Hownowbrowncow
01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Alot of hate from the bitter fans of the infamous Atlantic 10!!!

stophorseabuse
01-02-2010, 01:00 PM
This was a near total disaster for college football. drop the freaking schedule to 11 games, then give an auto bid to the champs of the SEC, B-12, B-10, ACC, P-10, and 3 at large bids based on the BCS scale for an 8 team tournament.

This takes care of so many problems.

1.) It gives a team like UC who you can't prove how good they are a chance to get there ass kicking out of way early.

2.) It gives teams like Boise and TCU a real and honest chance to prove their worth (or fall into the UC category).

3.) If there is another spectacular BCS team that did not win their conference (UF this year) it gives them a chance to prove it was a fluke.

4.) Non qualifiers could play in non-major bowl games.

Make the traditional Bowls a big deal again by rotating them yearly in this 8 team tourney.

game 1:1 seed vs. 8 seed in Rotating low level bowl

game 2: 4 seed vs. 5 seed in Rotating low level bowl

game 3: 3 seed vs. 6 seed in Rotating low level bowl

game 4: 2 seed vs. 7 seed in Fiesta Bowl (this will rotate with the other big 4)

game 5: game 1 winner vs. game 2 winnner (Orange Bowl)

game 6: game 3 winner vs. game 4 winer (SugarBowl)

Game 7: game 5 winner vs game 6 winner (Rose Bowl)

You keep most of the tradition, but get better, and more meaningful games. This way you can try to place teams in thier best regional fits during the first round too and seed teams using logic instead of just BCS standing. (BCS gets you in, but not seeded)

This year you could of had

Alabama
Georgia Tech (whatever the Citrus Bowl is now)

UC
Ohio St. (Motor City Bowl)

Boise
Oregon (Holiday Bowl)

Texas
TCU (Fiesta Bowl)

Compelling story lines and massive crowds that are viewing meaningful games.

Masterofreality
01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Alot of hate from the bitter fans of the infamous Atlantic 10!!!

Not bitter, just speaking truth, troll.

SucKS football league has been proven to be the perfect example of what Borecat fans have always accused the A-10 to be in basketball. Actually it's not. It's worse!

Not only that, but SucKS itself has proven itself to be the example of what Borecat fans have always falsely accused Xavier of being- playing a pastry cart schedule then not winning the "big game". Plus the Borecat program has shown itself to be that famous stepping stone.

Well, here's the difference. Xavier wins it's "Super Bowls." SucKS gets drilled in all of their important games- and not even competitive.

Now that football is over, enjoy watching the "yellow toothed gnome" (thanks surf) try to qualify for the CBI.

coasterville95
01-02-2010, 02:08 PM
For a laugh, there is actually a pretty entertaining thread over on bearcatnews.com debating if they are a Football school or a Basketball school.

Since the sUCk at both, there are no right or wrong answers in that thread.

A look at the UC football schedule:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/3413621452_a02cf184fb.jpg

pizza delivery
01-02-2010, 02:11 PM
This was a near total disaster for college football. drop the freaking schedule to 11 games, then give an auto bid to the champs of the SEC, B-12, B-10, ACC, P-10, and 3 at large bids based on the BCS scale for an 8 team tournament.

1.) It gives a team like UC who you can't prove how good they are a chance to get there ass kicking out of way early.

2.) It gives teams like Boise and TCU a real and honest chance to prove their worth (or fall into the UC category).

3.) If there is another spectacular BCS team that did not win their conference (UF this year) it gives them a chance to prove it was a fluke.

Make the traditional Bowls a big deal again by rotating them yearly in this 8 team tourney.

game 4: 2 seed vs. 7 seed in Fiesta Bowl (this will rotate with the other big 4)

You keep most of the tradition, but get better, and more meaningful games. This way you can try to place teams in thier best regional fits during the first round too and seed teams using logic instead of just BCS standing. (BCS gets you in, but not seeded)

Alabama

UC

Boise
Oregon (Holiday Bowl)

Texas
TCU (Fiesta Bowl)

College football truly sucks unless your team is royalty. I really don't enjoy the season at all unless ND is in it. BK made UC watching on tv. Otherwise going to Nippert once a year was enough for me. Only teams like ND, OSU, UofM, can afford a bogey, occasionally 2 losses. It just sucks.

Snipe
01-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Alabama

UC

Boise
Oregon (Holiday Bowl)

Texas
TCU (Fiesta Bowl)

You would have to do away with the traditional bowls altogether if you want a playoff system. You simply can't have both.

Going to a bowl takes a month of planning and it costs money. You get your airfare, your hotel and you plan your vacation. You couldn't have a playoff game in the Rose Bowl one week and then the Sugar Bowl the next. Are Ohio State fans going to go out to California and then within a week all travel down south for the Sugar? It isn't going to happen.

A playoff system would have home field advantage, it is the only way you could do it. And that too would be hotly debated.

UC had a great year. They were overmatched with Flordia and Kelly leaving didn't help anything. They still had a great year and they play an exciting brand of football. I hope that continues post Kelly, because it is fun for the city.

_LH
01-02-2010, 06:17 PM
The Fraud Cats suck!

BlueGuy
01-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I know it's been just about a full day now since the game ended, but this has been my first time to check the enquirer's website. One would figure that the day following UC's BCS bowl game, there would be some headlines listed on the site. There are no headlines listed in the main section or the sports section when you scroll down. You have to actually go to UC's section of the enquirer. Had that been Xavier getting boat raced in a big game, it would be plastered all over that thing for days.

boozehound
01-02-2010, 10:52 PM
It really makes you wonder if the Big East is deserving of an automatic BCS bid. This is 2 yeas in a row that they BE champ has been shellacked. This year UC was undefeated and still got torn apart. They looked outmatched athletically compared to Florida, and not just a little bit either.

Snipe
01-03-2010, 12:59 AM
It really makes you wonder if the Big East is deserving of an automatic BCS bid. This is 2 yeas in a row that they BE champ has been shellacked. This year UC was undefeated and still got torn apart. They looked outmatched athletically compared to Florida, and not just a little bit either.

I think Florida could be the best team in the nation. Florida would have beaten many teams. Pitt from the Big East probably would have matched up better with them and still lost. But UC beat Pitt on somewhat of a fluke. UC had no defense all year long. It was no surprise that Florida could score at will. Anyone could score on UC. Florida had the defense to shut them down. If UC would have played Oregon, they likely couldn't have stopped each other and the game could have been a 100+ point extraviganza. I thikn I spelled that wrong.

GoMuskies
01-03-2010, 06:39 AM

You've got to take away the ACC's BCS bid before you take away the Big East's. And how many times has Ohio State been shellacked in BCS games? Maybe the Big Ten should lose its auto status too.

XUglow
01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I would take away all automatic bids. ...and it is scary to think that UC was just a second away from being in the NC game. The time for UC to be in the NC game is never. I will let you figure out the place.

gladdenguy
01-03-2010, 09:31 AM
You've got to take away the ACC's BCS bid before you take away the Big East's. And how many times has Ohio State been shellacked in BCS games? Maybe the Big Ten should lose its auto status too.

Yeah, lets take away the Big 10s automatic bid...Oregon in the Rose, Miami Fl, and LSU all defeated, should have beat Auburn with Northwestern, and Minnesota lost by a point.
Very intelligent genius.
With Ohio State and Michigan, 2 of the top 5 teams of all time.
What a joke. A bad decade doesn't erase history big guy.
Woah, those powerhouses from UC, Rutgers, Connecticut, and South Florida.
The Big Least is pathetic.
BIG TEN...way better than the Big Least
ACC....better than the Big Least

GoMuskies
01-03-2010, 10:01 AM
You apparently don't understand sarcasm.

Taking away the Big East's BCS bid because UC got slaughtered by a Florida team that would slaughter just about everyone makes about as much sense as taking away the Big Ten's BCS bid....because Ohio State got slaughtered by a Florida team that would have slaughtered just about anyone a few years back.

Though I WAS serious about the ACC. The Big East has been much more worthy of its BCS slot than the ACC since the most recent conference shift.

X-band '01
01-03-2010, 11:36 AM
You would have to do away with the traditional bowls altogether if you want a playoff system. You simply can't have both.

Going to a bowl takes a month of planning and it costs money. You get your airfare, your hotel and you plan your vacation. You couldn't have a playoff game in the Rose Bowl one week and then the Sugar Bowl the next. Are Ohio State fans going to go out to California and then within a week all travel down south for the Sugar? It isn't going to happen.

A playoff system would have home field advantage, it is the only way you could do it. And that too would be hotly debated.

UC had a great year. They were overmatched with Flordia and Kelly leaving didn't help anything. They still had a great year and they play an exciting brand of football. I hope that continues post Kelly, because it is fun for the city.

College basketball fans travel quite frequently to multiple destinations for the NCAA Tournament (and conference tournaments), so I don't think that would be as big a concern as you make it out to be.

It was a bad matchup for UC all around, but I can't imagine it would have been any different had they lost like that in a game against either Alabama or Texas. It would have been more compelling if UC had a close loss to Florida and there was a blowout in the national title game. Don't expect the BCS brass to scrap their system anytime soon, although we may be closer and closer to seeing the Mountain West get a BCS bid (although this doesn't necessarily mean that the Big East has to vacate theirs).

GoMuskies
01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
we may be closer and closer to seeing the Mountain West get a BCS bid (although this doesn't necessarily mean that the Big East has to vacate theirs).

Again, based on the criteria the BCS laid out, the ACC is closer to losing its bid than the Big East is.

jdm2000
01-03-2010, 12:10 PM
You apparently don't understand sarcasm.

Taking away the Big East's BCS bid because UC got slaughtered by a Florida team that would slaughter just about everyone makes about as much sense as taking away the Big Ten's BCS bid....because Ohio State got slaughtered by a Florida team that would have slaughtered just about anyone a few years back.

Though I WAS serious about the ACC. The Big East has been much more worthy of its BCS slot than the ACC since the most recent conference shift.

Go is 100% right here. The ACC has been a train wreck when it comes to BCS games. I think Va. Tech's win over UC last year was only their second in BCS games, which is hard to believe. I fully expect Ga. Tech to get handled by Iowa next week.

The Big East has been ok in BCS games by comparison.

The team that I am amazed gets such a pass in BCS games is Oklahoma. They are 2-5 in BCS games, including 1-3 in title games, including a 55-19 beatdown by USC that was brutal to watch.

If Ohio State--which is 5-3 in BCS games--has a reputation for "not being able to win the big one," what the hell is Oklahoma's reputation?

jdm2000
01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Again, based on the criteria the BCS laid out, the ACC is closer to losing its bid than the Big East is.

My understanding of the criteria is that the MWC is still 7th by a decent margin, based on the criteria. And that the problem is not the teams at the top--which are all pretty good--but teams 4/5-9, which include some really awful programs. (I forget where I saw this discussed this past week.)

GoMuskies
01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Oklahoma also lost 48-28 to West Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl two years ago. A damned Big East team.

Kahns Krazy
01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Maybe there's a spot for the New York Giants in the Big East. They are getting thrashed like UC.

waggy
01-03-2010, 01:36 PM

I heard an announcer of one the games this past week say that the four big bowls (Rose, Sugar, Orange & Fiesta) would become the quarterfinal games played on New Year Day. The semis and final would rotate between the four just like the BCS champ game does now. So basically just two games (that would be played on the same day I presume) would be added to the current schedule. Time between games might be an issue. I don't think people in the seats are too big of a deal, because TV dollars will trump the gate by millions.

vee4xu
01-03-2010, 03:59 PM
I was out of state for a wedding. Things could have not been better, coupling an OSU win and a University of Clifton being manhandled. I said in October that Clifton fans need to wait until January before blowing so much smoke. And here we are in January and it looks like the Buckeyes will go from #18 then to Top 5 in the end. This year it was UC from the Big Least. In past years it was Louisville, Rutgers and West Virginia. No matter, these teams play well for one maybe two years, then go to the back of the line. I am willing to go out on a limb and say this is UC football's zenith ever. They will never do better than they did this year ever again. In fact, the down arrow is likely pushed for the UC football program at this point. As an OSU football fan, listening to UC football fans is like me as an XU basketball fan listening to ud basketball fans. It's humorous.

Kahns Krazy
01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I am willing to go out on a limb and say this is UC football's zenith ever. .

Ooooh. Risky! You're saying UC won't go 13-0? Did you go out on a limb after George Mason's final four and predict the same thing? You are some sort of clairvoyant. What's next? A bold prediction that Coppin State won't win the National Championship this year?

vee4xu
01-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Ooooh. Risky! You're saying UC won't go 13-0? Did you go out on a limb after George Mason's final four and predict the same thing? You are some sort of clairvoyant. What's next? A bold prediction that Coppin State won't win the National Championship this year?

Nice try Jedii. You should know I am talking about the many OSU football national championships, the many, many Big 10 championships and the many Heisman Trophy winners. All about legacy and longevity. Not gonna happen at University of Clifton. You are losing your edge my man.

Kahns Krazy
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I am willing to go out on a limb and say this is UC football's zenith ever. They will never do better than they did this year ever again. .

Nice try Jedii. You should know I am talking about the many OSU football national championships, the many, many Big 10 championships and the many Heisman Trophy winners. All about legacy and longevity. Not gonna happen at University of Clifton. You are losing your edge my man.

Well, you can say that's what you were talking about, but that's clearly not what you were talking about. I don't know about my edge, but at least I'm not denying my own words.

vee4xu
01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Well, you can say that's what you were talking about, but that's clearly not what you were talking about. I don't know about my edge, but at least I'm not denying my own words.

So now the Jedi claims to know my words and their meaning. Wow, awesome. How do you do it?

Kahns Krazy
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
And before this gets into a pissing match...

My point is that I'm a fan of the UC football program, and I wouldn't disagree with you that the odds are stacked against UC returning to this season's level of success in the forseeable future. They lost their coach, they'll lose their top quarterback and record setting wide receiver. Even great teams have a very hard time going undefeated.

I don't know who the UC fans are that were blowing you smoke. Most of the fans I know were excited about the ride this year. Even when UC was ranked higher than OSU, the fans I talk to found it more of a novelty than an actual representation of who is a better team. If you know UC fans that were actually chest thumping and saying that UC is a better program than Ohio State, they are idiots. I'm not that guy.

Kahns Krazy
01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
So now the Jedi claims to know my words and their meaning. Wow, awesome. How do you do it?

You type them out, and I have a dictionary.

vee4xu
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
And before this gets into a pissing match...

My point is that I'm a fan of the UC football program, and I wouldn't disagree with you that the odds are stacked against UC returning to this season's level of success in the forseeable future. They lost their coach, they'll lose their top quarterback and record setting wide receiver. Even great teams have a very hard time going undefeated.

I don't know who the UC fans are that were blowing you smoke. Most of the fans I know were excited about the ride this year. Even when UC was ranked higher than OSU, the fans I talk to found it more of a novelty than an actual representation of who is a better team. If you know UC fans that were actually chest thumping and saying that UC is a better program than Ohio State, they are idiots. I'm not that guy.

I do know those kind of UC football fans. Now I know that you're not end of conversation.

Fred Garvin
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

Actually they've won four of their last 7 BCS games(including a national title).

GoMuskies
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Actually they've won four of their last 7 BCS games(including a national title).

Same as the Big East (minus the title of course).

Fred Garvin
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Btw, was I the only one who thought it odd that Oregon went for the field goal at the end(which they missed)? They'd been converting on 4th down all night.

coasterville95
01-04-2010, 07:30 AM
I know it's been just about a full day now since the game ended, but this has been my first time to check the enquirer's website. One would figure that the day following UC's BCS bowl game, there would be some headlines listed on the site. There are no headlines listed in the main section or the sports section when you scroll down. You have to actually go to UC's section of the enquirer. Had that been Xavier getting boat raced in a big game, it would be plastered all over that thing for days.

You may have a point there -

Bearcats - got crushed in Sugar Bowl - can't find it on main page
Bengals - Got humiliated in New York - you have to hunt for an obscure article about "There's always next week" to find the recap on the main page.
Xavier loss to Wake Forest by 4 in 2OT - Front and center on main page.

Then again, since we always complain about not enough exposure in the local media...

Sorry guys, I think the problem is being caused by me getting an HDTV. Installed it Friday, haven't seen a winning game since. I pointed that out to my friends this morning, and they are telling me to watch the UC game on the new TV tonight, to see if I can keep that streak alive. :)

xudash
01-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Same as the Big East (minus the title of course).

I have to dive in here for a minute. GoM, are you attempting to equate an entire conference's BCS record with that of a single BCS program?

You may want to rethink that, and the national title is a 'pretty big minus' as far as all this goes.

xudash
01-04-2010, 10:26 AM
This is an interesting thread, in terms of how the dialog has gone concerning Ohio State versus UC.

I'll offer some bullet points from The Department of Whatever It's Worth:

I can't imagine anyone, even the most passionate UC fan, believes that the UC PROGRAM is anywhere near the stature of Ohio State's program.

The UC program has, without question, made incredible strides in its development; the UC program went from almost being dropped in the 80's to being a member of a BCS conference today. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the BE, or even the ACC for that matter, being a member of a BCS conference obviously makes all the difference in the world.

With that noted, the question - A question - is this: can UC truly compete against Ohio State? The answer is no. It's about $117 million versus less than $40 million. It's about all that tradition and the fact that Ohio State WILL NOT do things in scheduling games in the State of Ohio that would allow UC any chance to storm its castle walls (i.e. Ohio State will probably not schedule UC again). Parity will help UC to continue to be competitive, especially if the new coach continues the winning in Clifton, but these programs are night and day from one another.

UC has accomplished many great things in football, but it isn't anywhere near the mountain top of college football. Obviously, when the Sugar and Rose Bowls were settled, we learned that Ohio State dominated Oregon (setting a Rose Bowl record in time of possession) and that the Bearcats were slaughtered by a truly elite program.

Kahns Krazy
01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
You may have a point there -

Bearcats - got crushed in Sugar Bowl - can't find it on main page
Bengals - Got humiliated in New York - you have to hunt for an obscure article about "There's always next week" to find the recap on the main page.
Xavier loss to Wake Forest by 4 in 2OT - Front and center on main page.

:)

The online version differs greatly from the print version.
Saturday's paper featured large, color pictures of the UC loss on both the front page and front page sports. Today's paper features similar coverage for the Bengals loss, and a column on the sports page cover about the XU loss. I don't recall any pictures.

The online version changes frequently. If you don't check it within a few hours of an event, it's going to get bumped down.

GoMuskies
01-04-2010, 10:32 AM
I have to dive in here for a minute. GoM, are you attempting to equate an entire conference's BCS record with that of a single BCS program?

Well, since Ohio State basically goes every year out of the Big Ten, it's pretty much the same to equate the Big East's BCS record with Ohio State. If you add others in the Big Ten to the mix in that time period, it makes the Big Ten look worse (Penn State lost last year, Illinois got pounded in '08, Michigan lost in '07, Michigan lost in '05 and Michigan lost in '04).

xudash
01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Well, since Ohio State basically goes every year out of the Big Ten, it's pretty much the same to equate the Big East's BCS record with Ohio State. If you add others in the Big Ten to the mix in that time period, it makes the Big Ten look worse (Penn State lost last year, Illinois got pounded in '08, Michigan lost in '07, Michigan lost in '05 and Michigan lost in '04).

Okay, we're 'talking' over one another.

You are looking at it from the vantage point of how an entire conference has performed at the BCS Bowl level. If I'm worried about that, I'll let you know so we can have a discussion, concerning the relative resumes of the Big Ten versus the BE in the BCS bowls.

But I don't care about that. I have the luxury, in this case, of being an Ohio State football fan. Not only have we won 4 of these things, we have played in it 7 times, winning a NC along the way in one of them.

I don't care how the BE as a conference has done in the BCS. If you want to take a BE program and compare it to Ohio State's resume, I'm all in.

GoMuskies
01-04-2010, 11:21 AM
You've got to go through the whole conversation to see why my comments are Big East v. Big Ten. Basically started as a sarcastic response to someone saying the Big East should lose its BCS bid because UC got thrashed by Florida.

xudash
01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
You've got to go through the whole conversation to see why my comments are Big East v. Big Ten. Basically started as a sarcastic response to someone saying the Big East should lose its BCS bid because UC got thrashed by Florida.

No problem. Frankly, "THE BCS" has become one of the most sickening phrases in sports as far as I'm concerned. It simply is an unfair money grab, and it certainly hurts Xavier, in the sense that the BCS schools and many in the media simply love to pigeon-hole programs into these BCS/non-BCS and Major versus Mid-Major categories.

Without even attempting any analysis, I suspect that Xavier's basketball PROGRAM is more BCS than half the BCS programs in existence.

vee4xu
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
dash - FYI UC visits the 'Shoe on September 8, 2012. I for one wish it was sooner.

jdm2000
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
This is an interesting thread, in terms of how the dialog has gone concerning Ohio State versus UC.

I'll offer some bullet points from The Department of Whatever It's Worth:

I can't imagine anyone, even the most passionate UC fan, believes that the UC PROGRAM is anywhere near the stature of Ohio State's program.

The UC program has, without question, made incredible strides in its development; the UC program went from almost being dropped in the 80's to being a member of a BCS conference today. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the BE, or even the ACC for that matter, being a member of a BCS conference obviously makes all the difference in the world.

With that noted, the question - A question - is this: can UC truly compete against Ohio State? The answer is no. It's about $117 million versus less than $40 million. It's about all that tradition and the fact that Ohio State WILL NOT do things in scheduling games in the State of Ohio that would allow UC any chance to storm its castle walls (i.e. Ohio State will probably not schedule UC again). Parity will help UC to continue to be competitive, especially if the new coach continues the winning in Clifton, but these programs are night and day from one another.

UC has accomplished many great things in football, but it isn't anywhere near the mountain top of college football. Obviously, when the Sugar and Rose Bowls were settled, we learned that Ohio State dominated Oregon (setting a Rose Bowl record in time of possession) and that the Bearcats were slaughtered by a truly elite program.

The Big East is ripe for a program to really come in and put a stranglehold on the BCS position. One of those schools could make the BE its fiefdom like FSU did to the ACC for so long. I don't know if UC is that program. (Or maybe none of the programs is really positioned for it.)

I think the facilities are going to become the real issue for UC football. If you want to compete at the highest level of the BCS, they are going to have to have better facilities--practice and game. We'll see how they are able to commit to that. I wonder if they will seriously consider leaving Nippert.

xudash
01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
dash - FYI UC visits the 'Shoe on September 8, 2012. I for one wish it was sooner.

Ha, I type before I research the point. I shall now do a penalty shot in an effort to modify my behavior.

Can you tell me if the Buckeyes return the favor, as they did in Paul Brown Stadium a few years ago?

xudash
01-04-2010, 01:03 PM
The Big East is ripe for a program to really come in and put a stranglehold on the BCS position. One of those schools could make the BE its fiefdom like FSU did to the ACC for so long. I don't know if UC is that program. (Or maybe none of the programs is really positioned for it.)

I think the facilities are going to become the real issue for UC football. If you want to compete at the highest level of the BCS, they are going to have to have better facilities--practice and game. We'll see how they are able to commit to that. I wonder if they will seriously consider leaving Nippert.

I don't know jdm, but I look at it mostly from a business point of view as I tend to do with Xavier's basketball program - being on that Forbes list means a lot; it means a ton because financial wherewithal enables the ability to win.

If you look at the FBS revenue rankings, the top three schools generate in excess of 9 digits: Texas (120) Ohio State (118) and Florida (104). Most of the balance of the list down through about 50 schools is comprised of Big Ten, SEC, Big XII, and PAC 10 schools, followed by mostly ACC and BE schools. The numbers I posted above were meant to expose the financial gap between Columbus and Clifton.

I get your point: the Seminoles joined what had been a basketball-centric ACC and owned it for years. Just based on stadiums and resources, I would think that Pitt and UL or maybe WVU would have a shot at doing that, but their gaps in resources against the others in the BE conference are not as pronounced as the gap between FSU and the rest of the ACC a few years ago.

vee4xu
01-04-2010, 02:29 PM
dash for the record I rarely ever do any research before posting, which is why I end up putting my cyber foot in my cyber mouth so much on this board. But hey I wouldn't have any other way. You seem to me to most always have your facts straight and coherent. So, forget about that penalty shot. Just figure that you lived dangerously. :-)

Kahns Krazy
01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Ha, I type before I research the point. I shall now do a penalty shot in an effort to modify my behavior.

Can you tell me if the Buckeyes return the favor, as they did in Paul Brown Stadium a few years ago?

I believe the original contract was a 2 and 2, with OSU having the right to buy out of the second Paul Brown Stadium game for a $1,000,000 payment, which I believe they did.

I could be wrong on this, but that's my memory.

Edit: now that I put that up there, that number seems way too high. I'm sure someone can correct me, but I'm now thinking it was like $200,000.

coasterville95
01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
That's my recollection as well, tOSU wants no part of sUCks at PBS or Nippert. I believe they exericsed the option to convert the game into a buy game.

The buyout is, in fact, a MILLION dollars.

Source: NCAA.COM (http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031808aas.html)

ETA: If I read it right, they get $1,000,000 for selling the 2012 game back to the Horeshoe, and then the 2014 game at the Horeshoe will also be considered a buy game, paying $375,000. Am I correct in thinking those two payouts are cumulative, or is the $1,000,000 all inclusive.

xudash
01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
dash for the record I rarely ever do any research before posting, which is why I end up putting my cyber foot in my cyber mouth so much on this board. But hey I wouldn't have any other way. You seem to me to most always have your facts straight and coherent. So, forget about that penalty shot. Just figure that you lived dangerously. :-)

thanks, vee. Otherwise, UC as a buy game in Columbus is revealing enough.

ThrowDownDBrown
01-07-2010, 06:27 PM
OSU will crush UC in 2012 and while doing so will also easily make up the chump change of 1 mill they payed UC to have the game moved.

Masterofreality
01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, SucKS athletic department is $26 million in the hole!

They need the money.

danaandvictory
01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, SucKS athletic department is $26 million in the hole!

How in the hell did they manage that? Certainly wasn't amenities at the Shoe.

Masterofreality
01-07-2010, 10:03 PM
How in the hell did they manage that? Certainly wasn't amenities at the Shoe.

Apparently cost overruns at Varsity Village.

Link:uc SucKS (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100107/SPT0101/1080319/1055/NEWS/UC+sports+needs+millions+to+compete)

STL_XUfan
01-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Apparently cost overruns at Varsity Village.

Link:uc SucKS (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100107/SPT0101/1080319/1055/NEWS/UC+sports+needs+millions+to+compete)

Read that story and think of the long list of reason XU does not want to

A) fund DI football

B) be part of a "bcs" conference

The staffing and facility upgrades (for sports other than basketball) may be enough to push us deep into red as it did UC.